Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

For someone so old, Serie seems extremely petty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

For someone so old, Serie seems extremely petty.

Have you met old people?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Fair point.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I wonder if those old guys even teach Stark anything. Where they ever even warriors?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Mordja posted:

I wonder if those old guys even teach Stark anything. Where they ever even warriors?

theyre just old pervs

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also Frieren's max is about equal to Serie's suppressed.

How'd you figure?

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

The show does a good job of simultaneously presenting Frieren is extremely powerful but not unassailably so. There are moments in the series that feel like Frieren can just trivialize any challenge, but the more you learn about her and her antagonists/foils, the more you realize that that isn't the case and tension there properly builds.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

M_Gargantua posted:

How'd you figure?

Cause Lernan was able to figure out Frieren's max as being about equal to Serie, then Serie expressed disappointment he was not able to see that she was suppressing her mana too.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mordja posted:

Ah, the Nom Jabbar.

XD

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fern the goat.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Fern turning into a balloon whenever she's angry is extremely powerful.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

MonsterEnvy posted:

Cause Lernan was able to figure out Frieren's max as being about equal to Serie, then Serie expressed disappointment he was not able to see that she was suppressing her mana too.

Putting a lot of faith in a guy who is only 70 to accurately judge a concealed max.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

M_Gargantua posted:

Putting a lot of faith in a guy who is only 70 to accurately judge a concealed max.

The auras looked about the same size, and Serie said that Lernan is capable of beating Frieren.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Mordja posted:

Stark's got a face that screams "Please help me." It's up to the viewer what kind of help that means.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
All masters were 100% legit, Stark is now 10 times as powerful as he was before they arrived in Äußerst. :colbert:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Help this boy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sachant posted:

The show does a good job of simultaneously presenting Frieren is extremely powerful but not unassailably so. There are moments in the series that feel like Frieren can just trivialize any challenge, but the more you learn about her and her antagonists/foils, the more you realize that that isn't the case and tension there properly builds.

It's also interesting to note that Series said that Freiren wasn't actually all that powerful for someone of her age which makes one wonder how powerful do Elven mages get if they're not specifically speccing to kill demons

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Xelkelvos posted:

It's also interesting to note that Series said that Freiren wasn't actually all that powerful for someone of her age which makes one wonder how powerful do Elven mages get if they're not specifically speccing to kill demons

Pretty sure if Freiren shot one of her reality warping spells at Kraft he'd just parry it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

Presumably, about as strong as her. Serie wanted Frieren to be her pupil the same way she wanted Fern to be hers in this episode. She sees that both of them have crazy innate talent and could be so much more powerful if they'd just cut all this "suppressing mana" poo poo out and just train her way.

MonsterEnvy posted:

The auras looked about the same size, and Serie said that Lernan is capable of beating Frieren.

I think that once again it's important to note that (aura) size isn't everything. The same way Frieren's been beaten by 6 mages in the past, on any given day even if someone isn't strictly stronger numbers-wise, if they're still pretty powerful and also just clever and lucky enough, anybody can beat anybody. It's something I like about Frieren as a series. It's magic system isn't a DBZ power level thing where you can't beat a level 50 mage if you're not on the same level, you can be level 35 and play smart and win a fight.

But yeah I like how the show goes, "oh you thought Frieren was powerful? lol" without even showing you Serie's actual max.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 15, 2024

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
FEET: THE ANIME

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 15, 2024

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
serie can bitch about power levels all she wants, but one of those two elves actually bothered to go defeat the demon king and it wasn't her

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

TwoPair posted:

Presumably, about as strong as her. Serie wanted Frieren to be her pupil the same way she wanted Fern to be hers in this episode. She sees that both of them have crazy innate talent and could be so much more powerful if they'd just cut all this "suppressing mana" poo poo out and just train her way.

well that, and to stop caring about what serie sees as bullshit useless magic that doesnt matter.

serie is all about being the bestest wizard ever. she would never take sending or tiny hut for her third level spell slots, only fireball. and she definitely would not have gotten fern's old lovely staff fixed for her

it clearly drives her absolutely nuts that frieren, who doesnt give a poo poo about ULTIMATE MAGICAL POWER, was the one to beat the demon king and not her

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I love the petty circular logic.
"You can't believe that I would ever let you pass. Therefore you can't imagine yourself as a first class mage, so you may never be one."

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

FEET: THE ANIME

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
It's fine though, Frieren won this little battle of wills in the most low-key way possible. Serie probably would have flunked Fern immediately if Frieren's words hadn't gotten under her skin enough to give Fern a more careful look. Frieren now has the only thing she wanted (passage to the north), and the little chip in Serie's invincible armor of self-regard is a nice little bonus.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

It's fine though, Frieren won this little battle of wills in the most low-key way possible. Serie probably would have flunked Fern immediately if Frieren's words hadn't gotten under her skin enough to give Fern a more careful look. Frieren now has the only thing she wanted (passage to the north), and the little chip in Serie's invincible armor of self-regard is a nice little bonus.

I think Fern rejecting Serie's tutelage in favor of Frieren's is a pretty significant victory for Frieren in and of itself. Serie may have denied Frieren out of pettiness and spite, but she can never have what Frieren has.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

sharkmafia posted:

it clearly drives her absolutely nuts that frieren, who doesnt give a poo poo about ULTIMATE MAGICAL POWER, was the one to beat the demon king and not her

She totally coulda, but she was tired.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Xelkelvos posted:

I don’t watch a lot of fantasy anime but what I’m gathering from this one is that because elves live a long time they’re not in any rush to gain power, fall in love or any other growth

Flamme became super powerful in the span of a human lifetime, Fern is exceptional for being so young, having a short lifespan could be seen as lighting a fire under people’s butts to grow fast

It was humans who reverse engineered the demon attack spell and improved on it, right? So the demon who was frozen for 50 years and didn’t have time to improve got left behind

The 500 year old demon has been relying on the same gimmick her whole life, and because she didn’t broaden her repertoire she got owned

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I don’t watch a lot of fantasy anime but what I’m gathering from this one is that because elves live a long time they’re not in any rush to gain power, fall in love or any other growth

Flamme became super powerful in the span of a human lifetime, Fern is exceptional for being so young, having a short lifespan could be seen as lighting a fire under people’s butts to grow fast

It was humans who reverse engineered the demon attack spell and improved on it, right? So the demon who was frozen for 50 years and didn’t have time to improve got left behind

The 500 year old demon has been relying on the same gimmick her whole life, and because she didn’t broaden her repertoire she got owned

Humanity was able to reverse engineer it thanks to Frieren. With Aura it is hard to tell. As everything we had seen showed her as a bit of a gimmick but it is a gimmick that would slaughter pretty much anyone.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Super Jay Mann posted:

I think Fern rejecting Serie's tutelage in favor of Frieren's is a pretty significant victory for Frieren in and of itself. Serie may have denied Frieren out of pettiness and spite, but she can never have what Frieren has.

Oh absolutely, it's just a different kind of 'victory', being sort of accidental/incidental to Frieren making a good-faith effort to be more true to her feelings and her friends. Fern understood in an instant that Serie would absolutely be the type to tell her "no, get rid of that dumb stick, I'll make you a staff that's 100x more kick-rear end" and rejected that.

Whereas Frieren provoking Serie by saying "Fern's better than your limited comprehension can grasp, and so is humanity" feels like a much more deliberate shot across the bow. Plus like I said, Serie might not have even given Fern that chance if Frieren hadn't done so.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Aura has a big time gimmick that only a handful of non-demons in the world could reliably defend against, and she doesn't HAVE to use it, which makes it like double powerful. I don't think its that she relied on it too much, its just she got tricked. It works 100% guaranteed as long as she has more mana than her opponent. And you can see mana. She could probably have used regular offensive magic or whatever if she wanted to but she preferred turning peoples friends into enemies and puppet mastering.

If she knew Frieren had like a bazillion more mana than her she would have probably tried something else OR not fought her because Demons are cowardly and obey hierarchy

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Fern being the only pass goes so crazy. I love this story, this show.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jerkface posted:

Aura has a big time gimmick that only a handful of non-demons in the world could reliably defend against, and she doesn't HAVE to use it, which makes it like double powerful. I don't think its that she relied on it too much, its just she got tricked. It works 100% guaranteed as long as she has more mana than her opponent. And you can see mana. She could probably have used regular offensive magic or whatever if she wanted to but she preferred turning peoples friends into enemies and puppet mastering.

If she knew Frieren had like a bazillion more mana than her she would have probably tried something else OR not fought her because Demons are cowardly and obey hierarchy

Frieren herself said she probably could have won by just sicing her enter army on her.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I like all the episodes of this show but I think it is at its weakest when it spends an entire episode on power level wanking, even if it is in service of a broader and more subtle point. The showdown with Aura was the low point for me. At least this one had some character development and back story and the power level wanking was kind of incidental.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

She totally coulda, but she was tired.

Yeah, like Flamme said, she just didn't because she couldn't imagine an era of peace. Serie is the player who has so much fun being overleveled in an RPG they don't want the game to end. Meanwhile Frieren is all about post-game content.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Frieren herself said she probably could have won by just sicing her enter army on her.

After seeing the Frieren and Fern vs Frieren doppelgänger fight I don't know anymore. Fern manhandled Lugner, and Frieren and Fern barely came out on top over a copy of Frieren. Frieren also killed Draht with no effort. Frieren for sure took the guaranteed win, but I don't think Aura could've won head to head either.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Apprentice Dick posted:

After seeing the Frieren and Fern vs Frieren doppelgänger fight I don't know anymore. Fern manhandled Lugner, and Frieren and Fern barely came out on top over a copy of Frieren. Frieren also killed Draht with no effort. Frieren for sure took the guaranteed win, but I don't think Aura could've won head to head either.

Frieren's own words where that the undead army could have overwhelmed her with numbers.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Seems to me she could have just nuked the army if she wasn't concerned about the bodies and Aura getting away. Again.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Frieren's own words where that the undead army could have overwhelmed her with numbers.

Frieren lies, especially to demons.

Like, the gently caress is an undead army even gonna do to someone who can fly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, like Flamme said, she just didn't because she couldn't imagine an era of peace. Serie is the player who has so much fun being overleveled in an RPG they don't want the game to end. Meanwhile Frieren is all about post-game content.

It just dawned me how much of a sick burn that was. In this episode, Frieren pointed out that Serie's way of choosing who passes is actually fully correct, because her instinct is. And Serie's reasoning to fail everyone is consistent with what we know of magic - imagination is very, very important. Everyone who went in could not imagine themselves passing, and if your vision is that limited, you have no place as a first-class mage where imagining yourself defeating extremely powerful demons is very much your job (at least, as seen by Serie). Frieren essentially locked herself into a defeat by acknowledging Serie would never let her pass, and Serie knew fully well Frieren would think that way and fail the test. Meanwhile, Fern had no such issues, so she passed.

What am I getting into here? Serie is extremely serious about having the broadest imagination, because she's the most powerful mage. Flamme told her, to her face, that she could never defeat the Demon Lord because she couldn't imagine what comes next. She mocked Serie's very principles to her face, and she was absolutely correct at that.