Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The biggest buff to defense is pawn multithreading letting you deploy the 10,000 angry chicken defensive setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Kanos posted:

The biggest buff to defense is pawn multithreading letting you deploy the 10,000 angry chicken defensive setup.

It's multithreading for drawing the graphics not logic, so it's probably not anywhere near as dramatic as that. Combat with ten thousand chickens is still gonna suck I think.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

isndl posted:

It's multithreading for drawing the graphics not logic, so it's probably not anywhere near as dramatic as that. Combat with ten thousand chickens is still gonna suck I think.

Don't take this away from me......:negative:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

OwlFancier posted:

The odd thing about mechanoid water raids is that apparently they can spawn from any water, so if you have a pond it might be full of infinite mechanoids.

I saw people testing this and it seems like this isn't quite true. They can only spawn from rivers or oceans, the water needs to be connected to the edge of the map.

Also bridges will block them

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Garfu posted:

Just started a new playthrough... good timing.

Shot in the dark, but I'm having an issue where like 10+ colonist all of a sudden show up in my colonist bar and exist as colonists but are not targetable and don't exist anywhere and then I get spammed red errors about toxic fallout. I'm able to fix it by using character editor and teleporting them to my colony then destroying them... but it's a really weird bug. Just seeing if anyone else has run into this in their modded playthrough and know which mod it may be.

Finally caught this: https://streamable.com/jod65c

It hadn't happened for a while cause I thought I found the mod that was doing it (Immortals) but nope.

edit: meh it just happened again but with 12 colonists that I need to teleport and destroy.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 14, 2024

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Zore posted:

I saw people testing this and it seems like this isn't quite true. They can only spawn from rivers or oceans, the water needs to be connected to the edge of the map.

Also bridges will block them

I'm imagining a new ice fishing meta of covering up all running water tiles with bridges except for one open spot surrounded by defenses to immediately bonk any mechanoid that surfaces

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

moot the hopple posted:

I'm imagining a new ice fishing meta of covering up all running water tiles with bridges except for one open spot surrounded by defenses to immediately bonk any mechanoid that surfaces

Just a guy with a long pole to push em back in

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Kanos posted:

https://youtu.be/wcVt0iWqxFM?si=xIOSHPgWVq94SQqk

Not quite 10.000, but still a few.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Garfu posted:

Finally caught this: https://streamable.com/jod65c

It hadn't happened for a while cause I thought I found the mod that was doing it (Immortals) but nope.

edit: meh it just happened again but with 12 colonists that I need to teleport and destroy.

Immortals ruined 3 saves in a row with phantom pawns, so it's finally been permanently excised from my 777 mod list

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Is there a mod that lets you better control crafting outcomes (poor, awful, etc.) in an interesting way? I know there's one that lets you hard set the probabilities based on skills, like setting 18+ to always being at least masterwork, but is there anything that makes it a little more, I don't know, interesting? Like being able to upgrade item qualities or something.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Sachant posted:

Is there a mod that lets you better control crafting outcomes (poor, awful, etc.) in an interesting way? I know there's one that lets you hard set the probabilities based on skills, like setting 18+ to always being at least masterwork, but is there anything that makes it a little more, I don't know, interesting? Like being able to upgrade item qualities or something.

Higher levels already upgrade item qualities im pretty sure.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So uh, how would I completely and utterly lock down both my game version and my mod list?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Sachant posted:

I use Improve This and Easy Upgrades. Easy Upgrades overlaps with building upgrades from Improve This but it also allows item upgrades (like choosing a weapon and upgrading it using it's base materials, with success and failure chances). Both are highly customizable.

Leal posted:

So uh, how would I completely and utterly lock down both my game version and my mod list?

Copy your entire mod list from [\steam\steamapps\workshop\content\294100] to your local mod directory [\steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\Mods] and then set your game version in the Betas tab in steam to the current one once it's released as an option, which I think happens a little before the new update (not currently available after checking just now). I use RimPy, you want your list to have the Local icon next to everything:

Garfu fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 14, 2024

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Leal posted:

Local copies of all your mods, think you can opt out of automatic steam updates.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Telsa Cola posted:

Higher levels already upgrade item qualities im pretty sure.

Skill affects the relative likelihood of getting a better item but it's still subject to RNG, you still have a nonzero chance for the roll to produce worthless garbage even at 20skill.

There are e.g. mods that change it so at skill level X/Y/Z you no longer produce Awful/Poor/etc products

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

silentsnack posted:

Skill affects the relative likelihood of getting a better item but it's still subject to RNG, you still have a nonzero chance for the roll to produce worthless garbage even at 20skill.

There are e.g. mods that change it so at skill level X/Y/Z you no longer produce Awful/Poor/etc products

Oh sorry to clarify I mean the qualities of the item itself. A legendary rifle is better all around statwise iirc than a normal one.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

Local copies of all your mods, think you can opt out of automatic steam updates.

Garfu posted:

Copy your entire mod list from [\steam\steamapps\workshop\content\294100] to your local mod directory [\steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\Mods] and then set your game version in the Betas tab in steam to the current one once it's released as an option, which I think happens a little before the new update (not currently available after checking just now). I use RimPy, you want your list to have the Local icon next to everything:

:tipshat:

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Sachant posted:

I'm a big fan of qualitybuilder. Adds an icon to your toolbar in build mode that allows you to specify the desired quality level of the final product, but, in a totally not cheaty way. Your pawns will deconstruct and reconstruct repeatedly until the level is hit- wasted resources and all. And, there's a mod option to set a default "always aim for this level" choice which is great end-game when you have abundant legendary construction skills.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Just remember that only your best builder will build anything you designate a quality for, and your best builder isn't always the highest skill one (bionics, hot-dog fingers, etc.)

Sometimes you can't figure out why nobody will build these stupid shelves and it's because the only person allowed to went into the biosculptor to cure their hellacious shits because nobody can cook a loving mushroom in this colony

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Hypothetically

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm usually critical of all things Tynan but I'm excited for this expansion and I love the Cube.

I love shutting my brain off and loving memes like the Cube.

Love the cube. Need more cubes

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Im eager to see how the 40k modders deal with the new systems because lol this is perfect for Chaos poo poo.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Gonna put a hell mouth in my throne room and invite the stellarch over.

Make my prisoners do no-legged races by crawling to hospital beds.

Write pro-cube propaganda and drop it on the tribals.

Start an island colony with 100% mech raids.

Mod the love enhancer so pawns get a tentacle graphic.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

OwlFancier posted:

The odd thing about mechanoid water raids is that apparently they can spawn from any water, so if you have a pond it might be full of infinite mechanoids.

no it has to be a river or the sea/ocean.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
too bad because mechanoid puddle would be hilarious

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Can't believe Tynan would nerf vanilla fishing expanded

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It hurts me to try to play without Replace Stuff :negative:

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Anyone have any tips for the mechanitor scenario? I want to do a vampire cyborg overlord themed run but am burning through steel at an alarming rate.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
Beeline deep drills and scanners. Try to buy or mine components instead of making them. Don't use mortar shells or steel traps for defense. Avoid steel doors and furniture unless you're also pressed for wood like on a flat desert. I tear up every old structure and floor as soon as I have spare time in order to recover materials and deny cover to enemies. Steel walls burn down in wildfires, so snag them up before fate does.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

As a mechanitor, you are going to need nor steel

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
VE is discontinuing a bunch of mods for 1.5

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Almost every story teller Vanilla Expanded puts out is just "This story teller believes in a tough story, you will face increasing dangers that will punish you for no good reason" but with different art work

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Doltos posted:

Almost every story teller Vanilla Expanded puts out is just "This story teller believes in a tough story, you will face increasing dangers that will punish you for no good reason" but with different art work

It's sad in a way cause you know there's ways to do simple but silly storytellers.

Samuel Skin Safari: Every event now comes with a manhunting Wild Man Enters.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DoubleNegative posted:

VE is discontinuing a bunch of mods for 1.5

Huh, I'm kind of surprised they aren't also dropping V:E Mechanoids support as well as Insectoids. I'll miss a few things from Cave Animals and Vikings but everything else is no great loss.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Aw, I liked Rim Effect even if it never worked quite right.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Zore posted:

Huh, I'm kind of surprised they aren't also dropping V:E Mechanoids support as well as Insectoids. I'll miss a few things from Cave Animals and Vikings but everything else is no great loss.
VFE:Mechanoids is one of the ones planned to be reworked later because it's getting kind of obsolete but it's way farther down the queue than Medieval and Insectoid.

Main thing I'm surprised by is that they're redoing Medieval at all. It was never all that great (even if you staple Viking to it) and everything it's trying to do is done significantly better by Medieval Overhaul and its spinoffs anyway.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 16, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
so whats the medieval mod everyone uses.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Tankbuster posted:

so whats the medieval mod everyone uses.

Medieval Overhaul. I’ve used it a lot and quite like it, but I’m also a modding fiend who will go to great lengths to set up the scenarios I have in mind.

Losing VE Medieval actually hurts in that respect, because it was fully compatible with Medieval Overhaul and its factions added some interesting contrast to the MO ones.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Achievements my beloved :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Kestral posted:

Medieval Overhaul. I’ve used it a lot and quite like it, but I’m also a modding fiend who will go to great lengths to set up the scenarios I have in mind.

Losing VE Medieval actually hurts in that respect, because it was fully compatible with Medieval Overhaul and its factions added some interesting contrast to the MO ones.

yeah I was considering doing a spooky medieval run of the game once the new DLC came out. Now that VFE:M is out of the list I might have to wait a while.