Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I picked up a sickle from a dead guy and it seemed nice, but how do you actually use the triangle aim thing to tell you when you're about to overheat? Feel? Does it spin down to a recognizable point? Seems fun but harder to manage than my current "dump breaker rounds into things until they die" plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ijyt posted:

or, and stick with me here, u could be normal

i think it's very normal to not consider official advertising material released by the developers to be considered leaks or worry about needing to spoiler tag the game's steam banner art because it has the flying bugs in it

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Ravenfood posted:

I picked up a sickle from a dead guy and it seemed nice, but how do you actually use the triangle aim thing to tell you when you're about to overheat? Feel? Does it spin down to a recognizable point? Seems fun but harder to manage than my current "dump breaker rounds into things until they die" plan.

I don't think the reticle itself does anything to indicate overheating besides spinning fast. I rely on the meter in the bottom left corner as it will turn fill up and turn red.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

hiddenriverninja posted:

I don't think the reticle itself does anything to indicate overheating besides spinning fast. I rely on the meter in the bottom left corner as it will turn fill up and turn red.

I don't remember exactly what it is for the Sickle, but at least the laser cannon SFX changes pitch when you're about to overheat. I wouldn't be surprised if there were something similar and another visual cue like more smoke coming out of the barrel when you're close to the burnout point for the Sickle.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Phenotype posted:

How do you deal with chargers besides using EATs? I always feel kinda helpless when they show up unless I've got them. They move around enough that it seems really tough to hit them with airstrikes, and the only other option seems to be bringing a similarly-limited support weapon like the Spear or RR.

My usual loadout for anything higher than a 4 has been EAT, laser or shield backpack, and two airstrike-type stratagems, and I'm finding it really hard to break away from it.

110mm Rockets should hit them reliably. Autocannon Sentries can hurt them, impact grenades can finish them off if they're badly hurt, the flamethrower can still cook their legs, there's always mech rockets.

They can also be slowly whittled down with the Arc Thrower, and as an added bonus the Arc Thrower is good against all the other bugs too.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

Ok now I need to know why the reticle exists at all, and why I can change the color of it to be more visible but not change the color of the floating aimpoint that actually shows where the bullets I shoot will go.

Or I'm dumb, that's always a safe option.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

chami posted:

I don't remember exactly what it is for the Sickle, but at least the laser cannon SFX changes pitch when you're about to overheat. I wouldn't be surprised if there were something similar and another visual cue like more smoke coming out of the barrel when you're close to the burnout point for the Sickle.

the sickle does have visual and audio cues for overheating

Ravenfood posted:

Ok now I need to know why the reticle exists at all, and why I can change the color of it to be more visible but not change the color of the floating aimpoint that actually shows where the bullets I shoot will go.

Or I'm dumb, that's always a safe option.

afaik it exists to make it harder to see what you're shooting at.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

LazyMaybe posted:

There's a few weapons that are good for them but also if you get used to it, hitting them with 500kgs is consistent.
You ready the strat, then throw it a short distance behind them right after they miss a charge. Them turning around and starting to move towards you again gives it time to land and go off.

A 500kg seems super overkill, don't those rocket pod barrages take them out? I had loads of successes using it against them when the rocket pod strategem was free yesterday. Best part about using rocket pods is the pilot auto-targets the largest enemy which will usually be the charger so you don't have to faff about with pixel perfect throws to hit a moving target. It might not outright kill the charger, but it'll heavily maim the fucker, and a waddling charger is so much easier to take care of than one that can run at you fullspeed.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
The spear just doesn't seem to lock-on half the time. What am I doing wrong? It'll just sit at the yellow status, juuuust before the green lock-on.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

God above I had a real Eternal September experience with pubbies today. Just standing stock still on cleared objectives getting into endless firefights, not reinforcing, ignoring the two switch doors. For ages. Across several games.

My friends. My fellow divers.

I got mad at videogames.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Captain Ironblood posted:

The spear just doesn't seem to lock-on half the time. What am I doing wrong? It'll just sit at the yellow status, juuuust before the green lock-on.

You're too close, you need to shoot from farther away.

No, farther than that.

No, farther than that.

No, farther than that.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

nothing, its lock-on is annoyingly unreliable/buggy

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

It seems to want a clear view of the target, both in terms of profile and smoke/dust etc. It's hard to say for sure though.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

It's undemocratic for me to suggest this but it's likely manufacturing defects causing the lock-on systems to not function in particularly crowded or dusty environments.

Or rather, it must be automaton sabotage.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Qubee posted:

A 500kg seems super overkill, don't those rocket pod barrages take them out? I had loads of successes using it against them when the rocket pod strategem was free yesterday. Best part about using rocket pods is the pilot auto-targets the largest enemy which will usually be the charger so you don't have to faff about with pixel perfect throws to hit a moving target. It might not outright kill the charger, but it'll heavily maim the fucker, and a waddling charger is so much easier to take care of than one that can run at you fullspeed.
Rocket pods do not take them out, unless you spend multiple or they luckily crack the right armor plates. They're also much worse against bile titans, which are the main reason I actually take 500kg.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheDemon posted:

It's undemocratic for me to suggest this but it's likely manufacturing defects causing the lock-on systems to not function in particularly crowded or dusty environments.

Or rather, it must be automaton sabotage.

Automaton Sabotage is also why the Exosuit continues to explode randomly

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

500kg seems difficult to use well across an entire mission with the 3m30s CD (more if i have other eagle strats), but i like beeg explosion. any tips

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

Bought this yesterday and I'm having fun, but the best thing so far has been the community. I started joining or hosting pubby games after doing a few solo drops to get the feel of the game, and other than maybe 1 dude being annoying they all went really well.
I did a string of 4 missions today with the same couple of dudes and despite not communicating with voice or chat at all, we were a well oiled freedom dispensing machine. Sharing backpacks, support weapons, and having each other's backs when things got hairy. Just a great sessions overall.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Today's personal order has made me utterly despise the flamethrower. Nearly useless against spewers and hunters since its range is about the same as theirs. Okay against chargers but now worse than several other weapons. Such poo poo range and handling your guard dog will steal most of your kills.

It took all 3 missions with 3 of us bringing it to get 100 kills. Thankfully there was a level 50 who carried us by bringing actually good weapons like the grenade launcher and arc thrower.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Ciaphas posted:

500kg seems difficult to use well across an entire mission with the 3m30s CD (more if i have other eagle strats), but i like beeg explosion. any tips
Get the third hangar upgrade so that you get 2 500kg's per re-arm

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

I've had several experiences of being within what my brain has figured is the "correct range" and either the reticle doesn't change at all or spins endlessly in yellow.

My favorite is when I'm trying to lock onto a structure, but a third of it is concealed by a wall or similar.

I really like the weapon but dang it needs some tweaking or I require mandatory freedom and democracy counseling.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

LazyMaybe posted:

Rocket pods do not take them out, unless you spend multiple or they luckily crack the right armor plates. They're also much worse against bile titans, which are the main reason I actually take 500kg.

Mate I'm not cracked in the head to bother wasting a rocket pod against a bile titan. If I don't have EATs, I leave bile titans the gently caress alone because there's nothing on this God given super Earth that I could do to harm them. I hate the long CD strategems, I purely rock eagle stuff because they are so much more responsive. Orbital strategems are rear end, have long cooldowns, and usually whiff anyway. I had my cruiser whiff the one and only orbital precision strike I asked of it, by hitting about 10m away from where I actually threw the laser pointer.

Rocket pods are great for heavily maiming or luckily killing chargers. A maimed charger is an easy charger to deal with. The eagle pilot also auto-aims that to the largest critter so it's practically easy-mode autopilot

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Range doesn't seem to matter as you can lock on to something right next to you as demonstrated by the webm where the spear u-turns and blows up the shooter aiming at a charger point blank. What actually seems to matter are an arbitrary and unknowable series of factors the spear considers before just deciding to just roll a random number to see if it locks on or not.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Qubee posted:

Mate I'm not cracked in the head to bother wasting a rocket pod against a bile titan. If I don't have EATs, I leave bile titans the gently caress alone because there's nothing on this God given super Earth that I could do to harm them. I hate the long CD strategems, I purely rock eagle stuff because they are so much more responsive. Orbital strategems are rear end, have long cooldowns, and usually whiff anyway. I had my cruiser whiff the one and only orbital precision strike I asked of it, by hitting about 10m away from where I actually threw the laser pointer.

Rocket pods are great for heavily maiming or luckily killing chargers. A maimed charger is an easy charger to deal with. The eagle pilot also auto-aims that to the largest critter so it's practically easy-mode autopilot

Orbital laser is amazing though.

Eagle Air Strike and Orbital Laser go with me to almost every mission, though I leave out Eagle Airstrike for exterminate missions and swap to more sentries. Laser still works great for those though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

RandomBlue posted:

Orbital laser is amazing though.

The cooldown makes me vomit. It's also relatively useless because there's never a single instance of bile titans showing up. They keep cropping up in waves and your orbital laser will inevitably be on cooldown.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Rocket pods will absolutely damage and kill bile titans. If someone clips one with a 500kg they will finish them off and you get 3 on a short cooldown with upgrades so why not throw them out.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Orbital laser is very good on bot missions because it'll take out the eye of Sauron without having to fight up to the top and do it the normal way

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Qubee posted:

The cooldown makes me vomit. It's also relatively useless because there's never a single instance of bile titans showing up. They keep cropping up in waves and your orbital laser will inevitably be on cooldown.

orbital laser is garbage for bile titans, bring rail cannon or deployables

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Ciaphas posted:

One or two stun grenades in the new warbond are really good at making chargers stand still for just long enough to eat poo poo from your airstrike or choice. They seem really good in general, it’s just a hard trade off for “can 1 shot spewers and easily close bug nests”

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Exodee posted:

Get the third hangar upgrade so that you get 2 500kg's per re-arm
i guess but going past difficulty 5 is scaaaarrryyyy :cry:

causticBeet posted:

One or two stun grenades in the new warbond are really good at making chargers stand still for just long enough to eat poo poo from your airstrike or choice. They seem really good in general, it’s just a hard trade off for “can 1 shot spewers and easily close bug nests”
yeah i still need to unlock the stun grenades. giving up my impact grenades for something that can't destroy spawners feels bad, but gotta try it before i knock it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

while i'm asking questions, where should I be aiming at with an EAT vs bile titans? face, underbelly, a leg, ...?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Ciaphas posted:

while i'm asking questions, where should I be aiming at with an EAT vs bile titans? face, underbelly, a leg, ...?

The head.

The window for a good 1 hit head shot is pretty small, but I feel I've gotten some amazing danger close kills on Bile titans shooting them in the head.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Saraiguma posted:

orbital laser is garbage for bile titans, bring rail cannon or deployables

Hi yes this, please stop using orbital laser for titans and chargers, it's for waveclear and murdering bot outposts. Bring rail cannon, it has a much shorter cooldown, is guaranteed to kill chargers and remove a significant chunk of a bile titan's health, and you can use it way more than three times per mission.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Face. Its annoying though, and Im not able to get one shots with EATs, 3 shots are my groups average.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Shadowlyger posted:

Hi yes this, please stop using orbital laser for titans and chargers, it's for waveclear and murdering bot outposts. Bring rail cannon, it has a much shorter cooldown, is guaranteed to kill chargers and remove a significant chunk of a bile titan's health, and you can use it way more than three times per mission.

I solve this problem by only fighting bots.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

RandomBlue posted:

I solve this problem by only fighting bots.

based

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Can Eagle Clusters really close bug holes? Clusters are my personal favorite stratagem for "Oh poo poo there's too many enemies, I'll just blow up everything smaller than a charger in my field of view". And you get 4-5 uses before losing it for all of 2 minutes! All to say I use it liberally and love it but I never noticed it doing poo poo to bug holes even when I carpet bomb their outposts multiple times.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Exodee posted:

After trying the laser pistol for a bit I gotta say I'm not a fan. I'm sure it's actually well balanced around its potentially unlimited ammo (though your dps would be terrible if you played around it) but ammo economy is not really a thing I look for in a sidearm and its lack of burst damage made me miss the Redeemer a whole lot whenever I pulled it out. Plus it has the stupid triangle crosshair thing that makes third person aiming harder for no reason.

I tend to use my sidearm for quietly taking out small patrols and the dagger is okay at that. It's base damage is really low but lasers seem to have high headshot multipliers. It also looks cool on the hip.

It's biggest strength, though, is that it's one handed with no recoil. Love lasering poo poo behind me as I run away.

It can't compare to the redeemer but that thing is a primary pretending to be a secondary.

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

I've been using the orbital laser as a "this is getting out of hand" button during bot machines to drop the pressure heavily. Been a few instances of it soloing objectives while we are being mobbed outside the walls. The cooldown is pretty gross, but you can usually get full uses by being mindful.

Plus, it looks cool as hell, which is the top qualifier for anything in this game if you're a true patriot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Qubee posted:

Mate I'm not cracked in the head to bother wasting a rocket pod against a bile titan.
Right, which is exactly why I don't take rocket pods. A anti-armor strat which is only good against 1/2 of the heavy armor bugs is not a great choice for bug missions.