Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Nerdlord Actual posted:

This dude was legit pissed they gave Maki Itoh her full intro the last time she was on TV

This dude is legit pissed any time women are on screen under any context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

cm punk got paid a bunch of money to just do one of his hobbies/dreams and in losing in humiliating fashion kept himself in the public eye. im very jealous of his grift

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?

Suplex Liberace posted:

cm punk got paid a bunch of money to just do one of his hobbies/dreams and in losing in humiliating fashion kept himself in the public eye. im very jealous of his grift

You do have to give it to him, he's a hell of a carny

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

maruhkati posted:

Cageside Seats providing the kind of hard-hitting journalism we expect from SB Nation fam blogs.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2024/3/15/24101919/wwe-outbid-will-ospreay-charisma-report-injury-history-aew-njpw

Ah yes, WWE are definitely risk-averse and will shy away from signing high-profile talent if they're prone to injury due to their bodies slowly breaking down.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Suplex Liberace posted:

He also spent a ton of money on camps.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
CM punk will be fighting in the kumite

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I heard rumors that in his off time Punk is accumulating mass and intends to enter the May basho.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Suplex Liberace posted:

but enough about his aew run

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

lotta jealous people on this page

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Goblin Queen posted:

Additionally, Moxley starting from the bottom is much more respectable than if he were to, hypothetically, use his fame to secure a spot in the top MMA promotion facing opponents handpicked for his skill level or lack thereof, and still losing.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Losing at your skill level is way more respectable than using your fame for a shot on a national stage and losing because you were wildly outclassed by someone who also can't actually compete with the average fighter in the UFC. Absolutely agree

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Respect the move if you really feel you have to, but it was purely a vanity project. All that poo poo about being a fan and living a dream is baloney.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

To be fair to punk both of his opponents got other UFC wins.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

maruhkati posted:

Cageside Seats providing the kind of hard-hitting journalism we expect from SB Nation fam blogs.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2024/3/15/24101919/wwe-outbid-will-ospreay-charisma-report-injury-history-aew-njpw

Why are the anti-AEW dudes always such huge fuckin dorks

He also is really fuckin’ weird towards AEW in his article on Mercedes’ debut

quote:

The wrestling world was abuzz with anticipation this week as Mercedes Moné, the former Sasha Banks, made her long-awaited debut in All Elite Wrestling on Dynamite: Big Business. The event took place in Moné’s hometown of Boston, MA, adding an extra layer of excitement to her already highly anticipated arrival. Fans and critics alike were eagerly awaiting Moné’s move to AEW, curious to see how she would fare in the promotion and what impact she might make on the roster and women’s division.

Though Moné’s debut succeeded in creating buzz and excitement, it didn’t meet all expectations. Her character wasn’t clearly defined on the show, as she followed a trope with limited appeal that didn’t align with her presentation.

But first, the good.

Dynamite wasted no time in getting to the big reveal as Moné kicked off the show with a banging entrance theme.

At first, it appeared that Gunther had jumped ship from WWE, as the first chords of a club mix version of Dvořák’s Symphony No. 9 blared over the speakers before a piped-in chant of “C-E-O” went on loop. Credit to Moné for playing into her Boss gimmick by giving fans something to sing along to. Because as we know, wrestling fans love to make shows about themselves, and this immediately got them involved in the festivities.

Next came her entrance.

In short, Moné looked like American royalty, with a polar bear white fur coat with gold tassels on the outside and gold lining on the inside. From head to toe, Moné looked like the biggest thing to hit AEW.

Period.

But then came her monologue, and that’s where her presentation unraveled.

Instead of offering a brief but heartfelt acknowledgment of her hometown fans before putting AEW on notice, Moné went into a long-winded love letter devoted to her admirers and the industry that made all her hopes and dreams come true. Rather than set herself apart like the star that she is, she spoke as if she was a humble beginner getting their first crack at the big time despite reciting her impressive resume at WWE.

Moné’s attempt at relatability seemed excessive, as she all but shouted, “Hey everyone, I’m just like you.” This was underscored by her use of the inspiring line, “If I can do it, you can do it too.” Such verbiage is what one expects from a plucky underdog like Rocky Balboa, not someone whose persona is as brash and boastful as Apollo Creed.

And that’s where I found a disconnect in Moné’s character.

Although I believe in her sincerity, her humble words clash with her haughty persona. While some might find Moné’s display of humility refreshing, it fails to distinguish her from other wrestlers expressing gratitude for living their dreams. Rather than presenting herself as a definitive boss, she appears more like a well-dressed, articulate Tony Khan, attempting to relate to the common person despite her character’s stature.

Finally, Moné got around to addressing what everyone could expect from her. This was both a hit and a miss.

“So let’s get down to business,” said the former WWE women’s champion. “You want to know why I’m here? Because I need to be here. I want to be here. AEW is the only place where this revolution can be global.”

That Moné said she wanted to be in AEW, first and foremost, was a hit. During a recent podcast appearance, Moné discussed the possibility of returning to WWE, saying, “I know I’m gonna be back there one day.”

Online critics were quick to attack, calling her move to AEW a money grab. Perhaps it is, as her desire to return to WWE at some point suggests that she’s not going to be a lifer at AEW. While that could change depending on how her AEW run goes, it doesn’t mean she can’t add value to AEW and improve its standing.

But what came next was a particular speech that mostly resonates with a limited audience.

“Everybody in that locker room, I can’t wait to tear it up with every single one of you.”

Such a line suggests that she looks forward to staging quality wrestling exhibitions, an exaggerated dance routine of simulated violence that nets five-star praise, and “This Is Awesome” chants from the crowd.

While I expect Moné to put on the best in-ring performance possible, that’s not what sells tickets, draws interest, and leads to big ratings. Again, she is a character on a television show rooted in combat and conflict. A better declaration might’ve been to put the locker room on notice, specifically Britt Baker and her band of cronies.

In years past, there were several public spats regarding Baker and former AEW Women’s Champ Thunder Rosa, as Baker and friends openly expressed their disdain for Rosa.

If Moné had, in kayfabe, challenged the division to try that with her, it would have been a spicy setup for a future showdown between the CEO and Ms. DMD. Instead, we got a glorified version of Kumbaya.

Maybe that was done by Moné to protect the fragile egos in AEW while making nice with her new coworkers. Given how things went for the outspoken CM Punk, that’s not a stretch, especially since leaks to dirt sheet writers and dirty gossip still seem to be the order of the day in A-E-Dub.

Time will tell if Moné can avoid the pitfalls of alleged Career Malcontent Punk or if she will have the mother of all meltdowns.

But regarding her first promo in AEW, it was good but not great. Later, Moné closed the night by saving Willow Nightingale from a 2-on-1 assault by Julia Hart and Skye Blue. The brief physicality she displayed seemed fine.

Overall, it was a promising start, but there is room for improvement, especially in how her character is presented, as a humble speaker who is simultaneously flashy and braggadocious will only last so far. But for now, hopefully, her presence will encourage viewers to keep tuning in to see Moné ultimately flourish in a more defined role.

I get not liking aspects of things but this dude hates AEW and the AEW fans before he hit the first key on his keyboard for this article, why even do it

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

That guy is a total loon, if you look through his articles and his replies to comments on his articles you see a pretty clear picture of a troubled soul

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

yea ok posted:

That guy is a total loon, if you look through his articles and his replies to comments on his articles you see a pretty clear picture of a troubled soul

Writing this about a wrestling reporter is a freebie.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

rotinaj posted:

Why are the anti-AEW dudes always such huge fuckin dorks

He also is really fuckin’ weird towards AEW in his article on Mercedes’ debut

I get not liking aspects of things but this dude hates AEW and the AEW fans before he hit the first key on his keyboard for this article, why even do it

What's weird about this article?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

Here ya go

quote:

Time will tell if Moné can avoid the pitfalls of alleged Career Malcontent Punk or if she will have the mother of all meltdowns.

Totally understand why this is confusing for WWE fans. There's others in there too but that's a good weird crazy poo poo line.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

also the line literally before that where he say she's just playing nice because she doesn't want to hurt the fragile egos of those back stage, like what happened to "the outspoken CM Punk"

also also the bit before that where he said Mercedes should have put Britt Baker and her gang of cronies on notice when, I'm fairly sure, Britt's not the central figure of the women's division anymore? Does Britt even still have cronies???

also also also that he had to squeeze in the "who cares about good match quality where are the STORYLINES" shtick in there

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Squared Circle reddit is basically fantasy booking Mercedes repeating the whole CM Punk meltdown because I guess they're the exact same person in their minds (except CM Punk is the Good One because he came HOME)

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

CM punk will be fighting in the kumite

its about drat time

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Drakkel posted:

Squared Circle reddit is basically fantasy booking Mercedes repeating the whole CM Punk meltdown because I guess they're the exact same person in their minds (except CM Punk is the Good One because he came HOME)

It's because she cried on the floor a very true story they all still believe.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

They also both exploded a foot, the similarities are endless

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Gumball Gumption posted:

Here ya go

Totally understand why this is confusing for WWE fans. There's others in there too but that's a good weird crazy poo poo line.

I think it's very valid to wonder if she's going to go the same way as Punk. There's a lot of similarities. I doubt she'll flame out as spectacularly as Punk, but the ingredients are there. And if not an absolute meltdown there is a very valid concern that she's going to join the malcontent gang very quickly.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

oh word?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

so if anyone ever wonders who the audience for this kind of stuff is, now you know

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

1glitch0 posted:

I am sorely tempted to requote the entire article and put the whole thing in bold and say "that part", but here are a few choice lines in my mind

quote:

At first, it appeared that Gunther had jumped ship from WWE, as the first chords of a club mix version of Dvořák’s Symphony No. 9 blared over the speakers before a piped-in chant of “C-E-O” went on loop. Credit to Moné for playing into her Boss gimmick by giving fans something to sing along to. Because as we know, wrestling fans love to make shows about themselves, and this immediately got them involved in the festivities.

those god drat fans wanting to cheer things

quote:

Instead of offering a brief but heartfelt acknowledgment of her hometown fans before putting AEW on notice, Moné went into a long-winded love letter devoted to her admirers and the industry that made all her hopes and dreams come true. Rather than set herself apart like the star that she is, she spoke as if she was a humble beginner getting their first crack at the big time despite reciting her impressive resume at WWE.

those god drat babyfaces being overcome with emotion upon return from near retirement, injury, and repeated setbacks

quote:

she appears more like a well-dressed, articulate Tony Khan, attempting to relate to the common person despite her character’s stature.

rent free lol

quote:

“Everybody in that locker room, I can’t wait to tear it up with every single one of you.”

Such a line suggests that she looks forward to staging quality wrestling exhibitions, an exaggerated dance routine of simulated violence that nets five-star praise, and “This Is Awesome” chants from the crowd.

While I expect Moné to put on the best in-ring performance possible, that’s not what sells tickets, draws interest, and leads to big ratings. Again, she is a character on a television show rooted in combat and conflict. A better declaration might’ve been to put the locker room on notice, specifically Britt Baker and her band of cronies.

storylines not movez~!

quote:

Maybe that was done by Moné to protect the fragile egos in AEW while making nice with her new coworkers. Given how things went for the outspoken CM Punk, that’s not a stretch, especially since leaks to dirt sheet writers and dirty gossip still seem to be the order of the day in A-E-Dub.

:chloe:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's just continuing to conflate core aspects of cm punk's personality with something else

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

rotinaj posted:

I am sorely tempted to requote the entire article and put the whole thing in bold and say "that part", but here are a few choice lines in my mind

those god drat fans wanting to cheer things

those god drat babyfaces being overcome with emotion upon return from near retirement, injury, and repeated setbacks

rent free lol

storylines not movez~!

:chloe:

this writer sounds really unwell

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I'm not going to defend someone else's article line by line. It just seems like a generic article bringing up obvious things and not something that is so embarrassing it should be pointed out in the bad take thread.

The promo wasn't great, no angle or direction was started, she's already leaning towards malcontent crew, seems like all fine things to bring up.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

1glitch0 posted:

quote:

(person posts all the weird stuff)

1glitch0 posted:

I'm not going to defend someone else's article line by line. It just seems like a generic article bringing up obvious things and not something that is so embarrassing it should be pointed out in the bad take thread.

The promo wasn't great, no angle or direction was started, she's already leaning towards malcontent crew, seems like all fine things to bring up.

what the hell?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

1glitch0 posted:

She mentioned the person who took her out of action for months and then came in at the end of the night to save her from a beatdown.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Pylons posted:

She mentioned the person who took her out of action for months and then came in at the end of the night to save her from a beatdown.

No a real direction like giving her a poisoned burrito or spilling coffee.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

there's a new woman in AEW for 1glitch0 to be a huge loving freak about, hell yeah

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

The thing that always gets me about the "STORIES ARE WHAT MATTERS, NEVER MATCHES" crowd is that, how do they expect stories to start? They want every single match on every single show to be the climax of a 9 month blood feud, but they don't want to see anything that could potentially START said feud.

I think it boils down to like, this WWE-brained mindset is that Matches and Stories are completely separate concepts and since "Stories and Characters" are the only thing WWE fans care about, that means the Matches are completely irrelevant and thus do not count as part of the "Story" aside from the entrance/finish. That's how you get WWE fans who openly brag about fast forwarding through the matches just to see the finishes like that somehow makes them an enlightened individual.

Recent example: The Charcuterie Guy was big mad because Bryan Danielson and Will Osprey have "NO REASON" to want to fight each other. On paper that sounds like a stupid thing to say, because they're both guys hailed as the best wrestlers in the world and Danielson is literally in the middle of a dream match retirement tour BUT, that's the rub. Matches Don't Matter to this type of fan, they don't give a poo poo about matches so it makes no sense to their brain why the wrestlers care about matches either. This lead to him tweeting that Will Osprey (who is a Babyface) should have showed up backstage and sexually molested Bryan Danielson (The Heel)'s wife, who has never appeared in AEW and has nothing to do with any of this.

Because these people can only conceptualize wrestling through the lens of the Vince McMahon and Vince Russo, both men who hated "professional wrestling" and spent 20+ years pounding it into their fans heads that matches are worthless unless one of the competitors spilled coffee on the other before the match or whatever other dumbass car-crash bullshit they could think up.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

1glitch0 posted:

then wouldn't the appropriate response be "not post about it and cause conversation about a thing you find dull and uninteresting"?

like, the article was posted and most of us went lol

you questioned what was so ka-raaaaazy about it and now discussion has ensued

you're paddling against the direction you want to go, c'mon son

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023

quote:

Because as we know, wrestling fans love to make shows about themselves, and this immediately got them involved in the festivities.

It's almost as though professional wrestling was built around fan interaction and reaction until one company found this inconvenient.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Drakkel posted:

The thing that always gets me about the "STORIES ARE WHAT MATTERS, NEVER MATCHES" crowd is that, how do they expect stories to start? They want every single match on every single show to be the climax of a 9 month blood feud, but they don't want to see anything that could potentially START said feud.

They just think feuds should start with things like two guys using the bathroom at the same time and one of them didn't leave an empty urinal between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh god my stoned rear end forgot that I dug that article up because I wanted to see what the deal is with the guy overanalyzing every mention will ospreay has ever made of injuries and his body being beaten up, almost as if njpw is notorious for that

the issue isn't that he says any one thing that is particularly out there by itself, but that there is a pattern emerging of this guy being a dorkus malorkus