Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah I'm sure HOB will lay down for "The Infantry" 👉🤪

If the bracket pic is correct Malakai's not in the match, so he won't have to worry about taking the pin (they'll still win but lol it was for sure not happening if Malakai was there)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think those guys should win since they're good and never doing anything of consequence. maybe the upset can be the young bucks losing and ftr losing. haha

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

1glitch0 posted:

I watch Dynamite every week and usually Collision and I have no loving idea what "The Infantry" is.

They were on Dark a lot and now they're on ROH a lot.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Chinston Wurchill posted:

They were on Dark a lot and now they're on ROH a lot.

ROH: The Agents of SHIELD of the Tony cinematic universe.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Oh lol I mixed up the bracket when posting and thought the Infantry had a winnable wild card match :doh:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Coworker had no idea shibata vs Danielson was happening tonight when I told him. Asked if he just missed something on Dynamite and I told him tony announced it last night on twitter and that's how he didn't hear about it

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

yea ok posted:

Captain shawn dean and the other fella. I think they'll beat the Hob for "tournament upset" that everyone knows and loves from College madness

it really is that simple folks

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah I'm sure HOB will lay down for "The Infantry" 👉🤪

Your fired sir

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Nigel: Do you think Daniel Bryan y'know is missing a chromosome?
Me and Tony: Why did you think you needed to ask that

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

If the bracket pic is correct Malakai's not in the match, so he won't have to worry about taking the pin

lol lmao I hate Malakai so much

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I honestly have never been more down on AEW.

I can sit here and say they have absurd talent who puts on lots of cool matches but like...I kinda don't give a poo poo? It sucks, I don't want to feel that way, but I do.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

more for me

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i feel like we're going to have the craziest year for ppv quality in wrestling ever.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

STING 64 posted:

i feel like we're going to have the craziest year for ppv quality in wrestling ever.

at what cost? what if they run out of matches? pops?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

where are the stories

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I can sit here and say they have absurd talent who puts on lots of cool matches but like...I kinda don't give a poo poo? It sucks, I don't want to feel that way, but I do.

What rules is that they’ve been great lately and this is most likely just you, and you should probably just chill and enjoy that there’s a lot of cool matches happening otherwise you can just go back to watching wwe.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

The_Rob posted:

What rules is that they’ve been great lately and this is most likely just you, and you should probably just chill and enjoy that there’s a lot of cool matches happening otherwise you can just go back to watching wwe.

rude, imo

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

I’m not even saying it to be rude. It’s just one of those things where it’s like what do you want? You admit there’s good matches but you’re pissed when you watch it. Just don’t watch it then? Watch wwe it’s hot? I dunno.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I am sorry if it came off rude though. I really wasn’t trying to be.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The way to enjoy aew, or really any wrestling company, is to watch one or two noteworthy matches a month on bilibili during your lunch break at work

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Absolutely correct. You have to watch AEW as like a weekly PWG show or a fever dream. Great matches, but there's gonna be little to no connective tissue week to week. It just is what it is. I wish it wasn't, but at this point we see what Tony's bag of tricks consists of. There's nothing wrong with "We respect each other but who is the best wrestler!?" or "I'm getting beat up and random person runs down and now we're tag partners!" or even random people thrown together in a faction, but when that's all there is, it's all there is. At a certain point it just feels lazy.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Like how many nearly consecutive angles has Hook been in that is "unlikely helping hand leads to a tag team"? He's done it with Danhausen, Jungle Boy, RVD, Jericho, and I'm sure I'm missing at least one other.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

1glitch0 posted:

Absolutely correct. You have to watch AEW as like a weekly PWG show or a fever dream. Great matches, but there's gonna be little to no connective tissue week to week. It just is what it is. I wish it wasn't, but at this point we see what Tony's bag of tricks consists of. There's nothing wrong with "We respect each other but who is the best wrestler!?" or "I'm getting beat up and random person runs down and now we're tag partners!" or even random people thrown together in a faction, but when that's all there is, it's all there is. At a certain point it just feels lazy.

You mean it’s pro wrestling?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

The_Rob posted:

It's lazy booking.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Tell me what you want. What you really really want.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

1glitch0 posted:

It's lazy booking.

It’s literally every pro wrestling company in history.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

The way to enjoy aew, or really any wrestling company, is to watch one or two noteworthy matches a month on bilibili during your lunch break at work

I think a lot of us can become better wrestling fans through the tenets of Buddhism.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

i mean it isn't just that. Look at the story between dalton johnny taya and the boys. Or the one between Hangman and Swerve that started with Swerve wanting Hangman's spot and then becoming an escalation of violence and obsession. The last women's title match was about two former best friends who are now a lot different than each other and wanted to show each other how much better they are to become champ. The Young Bucks are using their power and influence to give themselves the best wrestler in the world and be big middle managers on everyone else. I mean I could go on and on

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Shard posted:

i mean it isn't just that. Look at the story between dalton johnny taya and the boys. Or the one between Hangman and Swerve that started with Swerve wanting Hangman's spot and then becoming an escalation of violence and obsession. The last women's title match was about two former best friends who are now a lot different than each other and wanted to show each other how much better they are to become champ. The Young Bucks are using their power and influence to give themselves the best wrestler in the world and be big middle managers on everyone else. I mean I could go on and on

Ok but did any of them get kicked in the nuts and make an awooga face? Did anyone make a poop joke? Any accusations of dress wearing? Did someone say bitch and everyone gasped? If not sounds like predictable garbage

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I mean I give a poo poo. I'm really invested in Swerve winning the world title. I'm also really invested in the pushes involving Julia/Skye/Willow/Stat and now possibly Mercedes.

Also shithead Okada, Will "the feeling" Osprey, Joe being world champ - all things I'm enjoying. Over the years I have noticed your interest in a particular show seems to ebb and flow with how much Jon Moxley is actively being featured and I would suspect that with him not being in the tag tournament that is what's happening now.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The_Rob posted:

No? NJPW does more actual thought out storytelling than AEW does at this point, and sports presentation is like, NJPW's entire schtick.

I'll try to clarify a bit further: it feels TO ME like AEW, in trying to "have something for everyone", has started to try to do too much for too many people with not enough focus. Like, I can see what they're going for, but for example, the TNT Title has absolutely been slogged down for months; the Copeland/Christian storyline makes sense, but like, I don't care about it, and I've been ready for them to move on with it for months. I was ready for them to move on from OC being International Champ when Mox won it from him, but then the concussion gods had other plans I guess, and it was an absolute monkey's paw situation because honestly Roddy's character in AEW might be the thing that annoys me most. It's basically a WWE from 7 years ago-tier gimmick. I loving LOVED the Trios titles early in their lifespan and The Acclaimed have utterly killed them dead. Joe as AEW champ is loving fantastic, but I simultaneously want him to reign for a while but also I want them to pull the trigger on Swerve, not only because he's red hot but also because I don't want every AEW title reign to feel like it's going to last for like, more than 6 months no matter what. I'd love for there to be that element of uncertainty, plus Swerve owns so that'd be great, but I just have this gut feeling they're not gonna pull the trigger. I adore Toni Storm at media scrums, but the rest of the time I couldn't give less of a poo poo about the Women's Division, and maybe that's because, like The Acclaimed with the Trios, the title being on a comedy act just makes everything associated with the division feel kinda like an afterthought or skippable to me. I hope Mox is just taking a vacation he wants or something, because otherwise the fact that he hasn't been seen since Revolution, despite WINNING the blowoff with FTR, is loving strange. Hangman's character is interesting but also the main reason why I feel like they're not gonna pull the trigger on Swerve. Ospreay being SO GODDAMN GOOD so fast kinda puts a wrench in things in the sense that honestly, it feels more than ever like, if anything, AEW has almost too much talent for too little creative.

I guess the best way I can put it is, I feel like TK needs more help with creative than he's getting, because there's nuggets of brilliance, but the shows also feel kinda overstuffed, aimless, and all over the place sometimes.

Shard posted:

I mean I give a poo poo. I'm really invested in Swerve winning the world title. I'm also really invested in the pushes involving Julia/Skye/Willow/Stat and now possibly Mercedes.

Also shithead Okada, Will "the feeling" Osprey, Joe being world champ - all things I'm enjoying. Over the years I have noticed your interest in a particular show seems to ebb and flow with how much Jon Moxley is actively being featured and I would suspect that with him not being in the tag tournament that is what's happening now.

I'm not gonna say that HELPS, but I can sincerely say that the trios titles being nothing and the international title being on Roddy are both things I absolutely hate, not to mention the problem with the Women's division I already mentioned. I was hugely high on AEW during Kenny's title run, and Mox wasn't featured at the top of the card then much more than he is now, so please don't just dismiss all the issues I have with the product just because you think I'm salty. There's more to it than that.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 17, 2024

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
uhh actually i think you'll find that tony kahn and aew are perfect and you're actually just an idiot!!!

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Peanut Brain

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

the best way to enjoy wrestling is to watch good wrestling you like and ignore poo poo wrestling you don't like and if what was once good wrestling is now poo poo wrestling to you you are under no obligation to watch it and be unhappy. You can simply go watch good wrestling until the poo poo wrestling is good again. Which in your case would involve Jon Moxley being booked more and certain hated booking decisions being moved on from I guess. like, fair is fair

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

It certainly seems to me that swerves winning the title and they're holding it for All In, unless Joe's gonna drop it at Dynasty and swerve is getting a brief 4 month run and handing it off to Ospreay. the other stuff is all your personal taste so im not gonna criticise it or say you're wrong, you're into what you're into. the past 5 years of aew though have given me enough trust that they're aware of how popular swerve is and they're gonna go with him. i dont think they'd be protecting him so much and featuring him as often as they have if he wasn't their plan.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i do think there is a fair criticism in aew that when storylines wrap up, everyone involved in the story winner and loser has a tendency to vanish for a month or longer, which is as much a symptom of burnout on ideas for specific wrestlers and just general roster bloat

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Skipped the last 30 posts cause it looked like major tedious boring bullshit but lol holy poo poo that tag team match was the most WWE-brained sack of crap I've ever seen. Sure am excited to see Infantry wrestle FTR after they got the absolute brakes beaten off of them and only won because of 1) A lazy cocky cover after a finisher, 2) Pulling a guy out of a pin after another finisher, 3) Another guy interfering to knock them out, 4) A desperate one arm draped over pin without even doing any moves in between the other guy interfering. What a terrible, terrible, terrible start to this tournament. Keep that crap off of my Collision, Tony!

Besides that, Collision rocked as per usual. I can't believe Copeland cut a "sitting on a stool under a spotlight talking about THAT PLACE" promo but it kinda loving ruled.

Also Mone uploaded her theme. I didn't even hear her rapping on TV, drat, she's good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlVMG95YYBE

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

thats mone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

STING 64 posted:

i do think there is a fair criticism in aew that when storylines wrap up, everyone involved in the story winner and loser has a tendency to vanish for a month or longer, which is as much a symptom of burnout on ideas for specific wrestlers and just general roster bloat

Thank you for pointing this out because I think a lot of what has me a bit down on AEW boils down to this more than anything. There's a lot of Poochie Syndrome for people in AEW. Like, it really seemed like Garcia might've been a real rival for Christian (which woulda been great) but then all of a sudden that just wasn't a thing anymore. Jericho and Hook is just kinda weird. BCC and FTR just had a really cool, well-constructed, thought out rivalry, and now it just...doesn't exist in any way.

I'll say in defense of TK, sometimes the issues are exacerbated or even created by poo poo like injuries and stuff which cant be helped, but other times, that's not the case.