Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

chapter 13 side stuff question: will there be time to do any side content after I get Cait Sith back (I assume at the end of the Temple?) or is it right to endgame from there

right to endgame. once you dock at the temple you're locked in until credits

Fedule posted:

In Johnny's wall of bullshit exhibit #41, when it says "execute a flawless performance" (of Loveless), does it seriously actually mean flawless, as in all great, no good? I already have the trophy for S ranking it and that was like 5 goods and no misses. They aren't serious, are they?

you can't get all Great ratings on that because you need to hit at least three consecutive Good prompts to upgrade your rank. i did everything perfect and finished with a SS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Fedule posted:

In Johnny's wall of bullshit exhibit #41, when it says "execute a flawless performance" (of Loveless), does it seriously actually mean flawless, as in all great, no good? I already have the trophy for S ranking it and that was like 5 goods and no misses. They aren't serious, are they?

It can be good, just no misses

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Blockhouse posted:

chapter 13 side stuff question: will there be time to do any side content after I get Cait Sith back (I assume at the end of the Temple?) or is it right to endgame from there

Nope, chapter 12 is the last time you can do open world stuff at all.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Sakurazuka posted:

Nope, chapter 12 is the last time you can do open world stuff at all.

well that stinks

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Fedule posted:

There are 7 total hotel awards that are all for S-ranking Loveless. #38, #39, and #41 are for Tifa, Aerith, or Yuffie being in it, and you have to replay the chapter with the other dates to get 100%.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Gruckles posted:

There are 7 total hotel awards that are all for S-ranking Loveless. #38, #39, and #41 are for Tifa, Aerith, or Yuffie being in it, and you have to replay the chapter with the other dates to get 100%.

So they just... wrote the wrong thing in the description? It says "execute a flawless performance" but actually I just need to regular S rank while dating Yuffie? That's very stupid but a huge improvement from what I thought they were asking.

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017

Fedule posted:

yes... ha ha ha... yes!

Ifrit + Gi Nattak feels illegal

Meanwhile, I'm getting my poo poo pushed in by some 6yr old for three gil

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

thebardyspoon posted:

You did, the ones greyed out are first time points rewards, the ones in white are what you'll get if you play it again, cause there's like consumables you can buy and such with the points.

As for the 3d brawler cheat, you can apparently just pause it, see what they're winding up with all the time in the world, unpause it while holding the needed input and win.

Hah, word! Thanks to both of you

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Augus posted:

you’re supposed to attack the chest before it does the lava attack. It coats itself in fire to indicate it’s preparing the lava attack and that’s when the chest becomes targetable. attacking the chest will weaken the upcoming lava attack

Huh, I completely missed that. I'm really surprised assess didn't tell you that, it usually does if there's a window to stop/lessen a big attack. Ah well, now I know.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You don’t even need a super OP deck to beat literally every opponent in the game except the final boss, I never bothered with any of the really powerful cards. I was all set by the time I finished up in Corel and that carried me through the whole rest of the minigame, including a couple of cards I never really used unless I just had an empty space to stick a card in for shits and giggles. My non-final boss deck was:

From the starter deck:
2x Security Officer
2x J Unit Sweeper
Grasslands Wolf
Levikron

From Grasslands:
Mandragora
Quetzalcoatl
Titan

From Junon:
Ogre

From Corel:
Posh Chocobo
Shoalopod
Loveless
2x Grandhorn

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Ok, question about what I'm assuming is late chapter 11: I barely squeaked by on Galian Beast, which was a bit of a wall for a couple hours and now I've hit a second wall with Roche of all people. I feel like I'm missing something fundamental about this fight because I'm having a hard time even building up my first ATB bar with the amount he dodges and he wrecks me in short order. I'm not sure if I'm underleveled (full party is currently sitting around level 42) but are there any tips anyone can give about beating him?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Ok, question about what I'm assuming is late chapter 11: I barely squeaked by on Galian Beast, which was a bit of a wall for a couple hours and now I've hit a second wall with Roche of all people. I feel like I'm missing something fundamental about this fight because I'm having a hard time even building up my first ATB bar with the amount he dodges and he wrecks me in short order. I'm not sure if I'm underleveled (full party is currently sitting around level 42) but are there any tips anyone can give about beating him?

you can't Punish Counter him like most enemies because he likes to use projectiles if he catches you blocking, so use cloud's blade beam (attack out of a dodge) to whittle him down and build your ATB at a distance

this strategy will also come in handy for another boss later

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
I can't beat the final boss. I've been trying for over an hour now. "The End is Nigh" attack is the end for me every single time no matter what. I keep trying to attack him during it but keep taking too much damage to kill him in time. In the middle of the End is Nigh or after he's done with it Sephiroth triggers Octoslash Prime and there is no surviving that no matter what. I have lost to Octoslash Prime maybe four times now. I am so infuriated I would like to just switch difficulty to Easy and be done with this game, but of course you can't change the difficulty here without doing the entire boss run all over again. Like, the boss is easy all the way until The End is Nigh and Octoslash Prime and then it's like instadeath when those two begin.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

You can only hit him after he attacks or when he is pressured, so dodge the magic attacks on the ground and counter the sword attacks in punisher stance. Haste on yourself as soon as you get an ATB bar does wonders, too. Once you land one hit, you can keep pounding on him.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Got to the sit up game and I am impressed, this is a lot worse than the pull up mini game from Remake

I got to the half presses and just left the gym; whatever prizes they give me can’t be worth this

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fabulous Knight posted:

I can't beat the final boss. I've been trying for over an hour now. "The End is Nigh" attack is the end for me every single time no matter what. I keep trying to attack him during it but keep taking too much damage to kill him in time. In the middle of the End is Nigh or after he's done with it Sephiroth triggers Octoslash Prime and there is no surviving that no matter what. I have lost to Octoslash Prime maybe four times now. I am so infuriated I would like to just switch difficult to Easy and be done with this game, but of course you can't change the difficulty here without doing the entire boss run all over again.

i got through it by building cloud and aerith's limit breaks to level 3, making sure they both had a full bar at the fight's final stretch, and slamming sephiroth with finishing touch, followed by fury brand, followed by another finishing touch. you'll still have to survive Tempus Finis while the limit animations are playing, but both finishing touches should at least be enough to fill his stagger bar and break his attack long enough for you to execute the coup de grace

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Fabulous Knight posted:

I can't beat the final boss. I've been trying for over an hour now. "The End is Nigh" attack is the end for me every single time no matter what. I keep trying to attack him during it but keep taking too much damage to kill him in time. In the middle of the End is Nigh or after he's done with it Sephiroth triggers Octoslash Prime and there is no surviving that no matter what. I have lost to Octoslash Prime maybe four times now. I am so infuriated I would like to just switch difficult to Easy and be done with this game, but of course you can't change the difficulty here without doing the entire boss run all over again. Like, the boss is easy all the way until The End is Nigh and Octoslash Prime and then it's like instadeath when those two begin.

I had this problem, too, especially after doing the gauntlet of Jenova straight into Sephiroth. The thing that finally pushed me through was holding Cloud’s LB for that phase and popping Ascension as soon as possible, then rushing down the last sliver of health with Aerith -aga spell and Cloud Plasma Discharge procs. I’m sure there’s other ways to approach it, but that helped me a lot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You pretty much just need to stagger him, took me two goes, second time I had three ATB sections and full on both Cloud & Aerith but it only took a magic spell and a couple of Focused Thrusts to stagger him.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

you can't Punish Counter him like most enemies because he likes to use projectiles if he catches you blocking, so use cloud's blade beam (attack out of a dodge) to whittle him down and build your ATB at a distance

this strategy will also come in handy for another boss later

Capfalcon posted:

You can only hit him after he attacks or when he is pressured, so dodge the magic attacks on the ground and counter the sword attacks in punisher stance. Haste on yourself as soon as you get an ATB bar does wonders, too. Once you land one hit, you can keep pounding on him.

Ultimately took this advice and got him down in a few more attempts. Thank you both!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

MechaX posted:

Got to the sit up game and I am impressed, this is a lot worse than the pull up mini game from Remake

I got to the half presses and just left the gym; whatever prizes they give me can’t be worth this

I didn't even bother doing anything past the side quest. I'm sort of impressed they somehow made it worse.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What’s the trick to Odin? I’ve been trying to use as many abilities as possible and dodge as much as possible, even got Debrave off once in a while, but he still gets bored at like 15-25% HP and uses Zantetsuken. Is there something else I need to do? Should I avoid countering and focus only on dodging?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pollyanna posted:

What’s the trick to Odin? I’ve been trying to use as many abilities as possible and dodge as much as possible, even got Debrave off once in a while, but he still gets bored at like 15-25% HP and uses Zantetsuken. Is there something else I need to do? Should I avoid countering and focus only on dodging?

Apparently people peeked at the code and found out that his Assess description is outright wrong, debuffs don't matter, what matters is dealing damage and not taking damage

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jimbot posted:

Can someone please for the love the the christian christ tell me the mechanics of (summon spoiler) Odin? Only thing I know is APB him and perfect block him or you die instantly. But what the gently caress is the rest of it? I use an APB attack and he uses reprisal. Like when does he use this ability? I don't spam the same ability over and over again, which is what I thought caused it, but I used a wholly unique one and he still did it; chi trap and focus strike. I can't rely on perfect block because I'm terrible at it, even with the materia.

This is why I hated this fight with every fiber of my being when I did it to get the materia and did it on the easiest difficulty. His mechanics are confusing and, frankly, trash. He requires the kind of poo poo you see'd see in XVI or Devil May Cry, which is fine because they're built for that sort of thing. You think you got the mechanics down but no, he does the poo poo out of the blue and you want to tear your hair out because of how stupid all this is.

A couple pages late but Odin more than any fight in the game (at least 12 chapters in) is all about maintaing momentum. If you find yourself on the back foot at any point and spending too much time on heals or defensive buffs you're losing the Zantetsuken war and going to get smoked so might as well restart as soon as things start to slip from you. You gotta take the advantage early through dodging or blocking (I think regular blocking still helps a lot even if you can't perfect parry) his early moves and keep the pressure on with regular offense and switching characters often so they're all building atb to expend. You are just going to have to eat some reprisals but they don't do much damage and if you do see him launch one immediately switch charaters to build some atb with them while he is distracted.

I had a lot of success with Red in this fight because a lot of Odin's attack strings hit a bunch of times so after getting off a Chilling Roar just blocking through a single combo gives a huge chunk of Vengeance and then you have access to the best dodge in the game to quickly avoid his unblockables or expend the bar on a party wide Haste (absolutely invaluable for this fight) or group heals at low atb cost. Also at times just try throwing out synergy attacks, as long he's not using one of his abilities I found he's surprisingly susceptible to getting stunlocked by them and giving your third guy a prime opportunity to do some quick heals or get some more attacks in without worrying about running into a big move.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It's amazing how much less poo poo Rufus feels if you know it's coming and make sure to end the Turks fight on high HP so you don't get hosed by the checkpoint.

So... trying to land the Braver thing on him is a trap now, right? I remember this being the hot strat in Remake but now, I don't know if the reload got microscopically quicker or some property of Braver changed but it seems to not actually be sanely possible now unless there's some new secret way to both dodge his moves and know when the window is coming (not that I can remember exactly how many times he could chain moves before but I'll bet that's changed too) and be in the right place to actually hit him with it. Meanwhile Triple Slash just skates across the arena and pressures him.

(seriously do you count shots or what)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

It's amazing how much less poo poo Rufus feels if you know it's coming and make sure to end the Turks fight on high HP so you don't get hosed by the checkpoint.

So... trying to land the Braver thing on him is a trap now, right? I remember this being the hot strat in Remake but now, I don't know if the reload got microscopically quicker or some property of Braver changed but it seems to not actually be sanely possible now unless there's some new secret way to both dodge his moves and know when the window is coming (not that I can remember exactly how many times he could chain moves before but I'll bet that's changed too) and be in the right place to actually hit him with it. Meanwhile Triple Slash just skates across the arena and pressures him.

(seriously do you count shots or what)

There are certain situations he always reloads so uou just wait for that and Braver/Focus Thrust him in advance

Also Sleep and Stop

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 16, 2024

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fedule posted:

uhhh the game shows a "Press Square to open the menu" prompt in the cutscene between the fights that lets you edit Cloud's equipment and also use items to heal

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Augus posted:

uhhh the game shows a "Press Square to open the menu" prompt in the cutscene between the fights that lets you edit Cloud's equipment and also use items to heal

he spent several posts ranting about how the thirty seconds of healing destroyed the fight’s pacing

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Can someone please for the love the the christian christ tell me the mechanics of (summon spoiler) Odin? Only thing I know is APB him and perfect block him or you die instantly. But what the gently caress is the rest of it? I use an APB attack and he uses reprisal. Like when does he use this ability? I don't spam the same ability over and over again, which is what I thought caused it, but I used a wholly unique one and he still did it; chi trap and focus strike. I can't rely on perfect block because I'm terrible at it, even with the materia.

This is why I hated this fight with every fiber of my being when I did it to get the materia and did it on the easiest difficulty. His mechanics are confusing and, frankly, trash. He requires the kind of poo poo you see'd see in XVI or Devil May Cry, which is fine because they're built for that sort of thing. You think you got the mechanics down but no, he does the poo poo out of the blue and you want to tear your hair out because of how stupid all this is.

Don't bother trying to perfect block IMO. Just stay at long range with regular dodges. You basically want a good ratio of "times you hit him (I think with ATB attacks)" to "times he hits you." So getting hit some is okay, as long as you're still dishing out hits. Dodging his stuff up close is way too difficult, at least for me, but his longer range attacks can be reasonably dodged.

Just constantly focus on getting away from him and dodging, and spam attacks when possible. I never figured out the deal with Reprisal, though - he seems to always use it with some attacks (like Yuffie's Blindside) but not others. I would just avoid the attacks that seemed to trigger it.

One decent option is to use Barret, use his/Cloud's synergy attack (to safely build both their ATB without putting Cloud at risk*), and occasionally pop off Cloud's ATB attacks from the menu (in addition to Barrett's).

* I know Cloud has his long-range blade beam things, but those are a bit risky since if you get too close to the enemy he seems to switch to a melee attack

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Arist posted:

Apparently people peeked at the code and found out that his Assess description is outright wrong, debuffs don't matter, what matters is dealing damage and not taking damage

Not sure how they managed that on a console-only game.

I was able to beat him after a few tries, though he was partially debuffed. The dodge windows for some of his attacks are kind of BS, and Reprisal is a lot BS. But if you've been playing the game wrong the whole time (defaulting to dodge instead of block) then you're already prepared for this fight. But you have a reasonable amount of leeway for taking damage when he's been debuffed in the mode select.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I also had trouble with Roche. Took me like 5-6 tries.

Things I did that helped:
- Heal up any time your health gets below half (and maybe before that). I frequently would lose because he would keep chain attacking me without me being able to heal back up. Item Economizer is good here to allow you to use items without the ATB cost.
- Play kind of defensively in general

I was never able to reliably defend against his poo poo. Sometimes my blocks just randomly wouldn't work again attacks that looked like normal melee attacks. I was definitely cursing at the TV. Being defensive and just frequently topping my health out with Mega-potions ended up making the difference, even if it felt lame.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

For Odin you need to be avoiding his attacks and hitting him with ATB attacks at every opportunity. As soon as a bar fills, pop it.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Augus posted:

Lol is that what that was for? I thought it would boot me to the main menu.

Edit: Also, gently caress Tifa and Aerith for just standing in the doorway watching me get my rear end kicked by Rufus and his dog. I get staying out of it when it was 1v1 but I think that goes out the window when Fido joins in..

Frankston fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 16, 2024

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah, the dumb thing about the Menu thing is that it's after the checkpoint so if you need it you have to chug those potions every time you retry and this seems like it's a lot of people's most retried encounter in the main story. It's a pretty excellent example of how a small time intrusion can feel maximally bad. Also, of course, it's useless on Hard mode although on Hard mode people will know it's coming so this is, kinda, less of a problem.

ImpAtom posted:

There are certain situations he always reloads so uou just wait for that and Braver/Focus Thrust him in advance

Also Sleep and Stop

What are the situations? The only attack I've known him to always reload after is Think Fast which as far as I can tell isn't possible to block or dodge through unless there's some part of that explosion that isn't a hitbox, or if for some reason he happens to fire it away from you. All the others I've seen him chain.

E: lol no I've just seen him chain out of Think Fast

Fedule fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 16, 2024

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Arist posted:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

A couple pages late but Odin more than any fight in the game (at least 12 chapters in) is all about maintaing momentum. If you find yourself on the back foot at any point and spending too much time on heals or defensive buffs you're losing the Zantetsuken war and going to get smoked so might as well restart as soon as things start to slip from you. You gotta take the advantage early through dodging or blocking (I think regular blocking still helps a lot even if you can't perfect parry) his early moves and keep the pressure on with regular offense and switching characters often so they're all building atb to expend. You are just going to have to eat some reprisals but they don't do much damage and if you do see him launch one immediately switch charaters to build some atb with them while he is distracted.

I had a lot of success with Red in this fight because a lot of Odin's attack strings hit a bunch of times so after getting off a Chilling Roar just blocking through a single combo gives a huge chunk of Vengeance and then you have access to the best dodge in the game to quickly avoid his unblockables or expend the bar on a party wide Haste (absolutely invaluable for this fight) or group heals at low atb cost. Also at times just try throwing out synergy attacks, as long he's not using one of his abilities I found he's surprisingly susceptible to getting stunlocked by them and giving your third guy a prime opportunity to do some quick heals or get some more attacks in without worrying about running into a big move.

Ytlaya posted:

Don't bother trying to perfect block IMO. Just stay at long range with regular dodges. You basically want a good ratio of "times you hit him (I think with ATB attacks)" to "times he hits you." So getting hit some is okay, as long as you're still dishing out hits. Dodging his stuff up close is way too difficult, at least for me, but his longer range attacks can be reasonably dodged.

Just constantly focus on getting away from him and dodging, and spam attacks when possible. I never figured out the deal with Reprisal, though - he seems to always use it with some attacks (like Yuffie's Blindside) but not others. I would just avoid the attacks that seemed to trigger it.

One decent option is to use Barret, use his/Cloud's synergy attack (to safely build both their ATB without putting Cloud at risk*), and occasionally pop off Cloud's ATB attacks from the menu (in addition to Barrett's).

* I know Cloud has his long-range blade beam things, but those are a bit risky since if you get too close to the enemy he seems to switch to a melee attack

Thundarr posted:

Not sure how they managed that on a console-only game.

I was able to beat him after a few tries, though he was partially debuffed. The dodge windows for some of his attacks are kind of BS, and Reprisal is a lot BS. But if you've been playing the game wrong the whole time (defaulting to dodge instead of block) then you're already prepared for this fight. But you have a reasonable amount of leeway for taking damage when he's been debuffed in the mode select.

Frankston posted:

For Odin you need to be avoiding his attacks and hitting him with ATB attacks at every opportunity. As soon as a bar fills, pop it.

:psyduck:

I switched to solo Cloud and started doing a mix of dodges and Punisher counters while trying to get ATBs off. Now I get hit by Reprisal whenever I try to use an ability and Gjallarhorn goes off within 30 seconds. This sucks.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
i'm mr video games

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Do I just have to equip the subversion materia to resist intent death, I don't have to link it to elemental or warding do I?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

:psyduck:

I switched to solo Cloud and started doing a mix of dodges and Punisher counters while trying to get ATBs off. Now I get hit by Reprisal whenever I try to use an ability and Gjallarhorn goes off within 30 seconds. This sucks.

Are you using physical ATBs or magic? I think I just spammed magic ATBs because yeah he counters physical attacks.

My loadout was Yuffie (forever and always #1), Tifa and Cloud. I just mainly controlled Yuffie, the others did a good job of avoiding Odin's attacks and I think they only count towards Zantetsuken if they hit the character you are actively controlling.

Edit: I'm lying, I had Barret instead of Tifa. I finished Odin off with an Overcharge shot when Barret was the only one still alive with about 30hp.

Frankston fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 16, 2024

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

redreader posted:

Do I just have to equip the subversion materia to resist intent death, I don't have to link it to elemental or warding do I?

pretty sure you need Warding, but insta-death isn't listed as one of its status defenses so i'm not 100%

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Instant Grat posted:

i'm mr video games

you didn't even unlock the only hard song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oxxidation posted:

pretty sure you need Warding, but insta-death isn't listed as one of its status defenses so i'm not 100%

I think this works, I did it on the tenberry fight