Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The usual complaint about Persona 5 I hear is that every character starts out with extremely valid complaints against the system but by the end basically goes 'But oh well, maybe this time it'll be different!' and conforms to it anyway. Not really the most unusual arc with stories dipping a toe in social commentary but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Majorian posted:

The last boss of P4 is a giant eye god who appears out of nowhere after you beat the much more interesting human antagonist.

and?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

What too much politics posting does to a mfer…

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Rea posted:

Did you not do the true ending? Yomotsu Hirasaka, Izanami, all that?

I did and I liked it. I’m not poo poo talking P4 for that, I love the game. I just think it’s weird to pretend like it’s only 5 that has done this.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The usual complaint about Persona 5 I hear is that every character starts out with extremely valid complaints against the system but by the end basically goes 'But oh well, maybe this time it'll be different!' and conforms to it anyway. Not really the most unusual arc with stories dipping a toe in social commentary but still.

Yeah and it’s a valid complaint, I just still have a lot of fun with the game.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Basically, at least in vanilla. Everyone kinda ends up undermining their most interesting aspects of their battles with their personality vis-á-vis societal pressures

Atlus tends to do this kind of thing a lot with their games. Catherine comes to mind (although I never played Fullbody, maybe one of these days)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ann starts p5 off. Very strong with a good character arc but once makoto turns up she becomes more and more relegated as a cheerleader and then you do her dating side quest where she learns barely anything. Actually all the dating in p5 are dire or awful

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Ann starts p5 off. Very strong with a good character arc but once makoto turns up she becomes more and more relegated as a cheerleader and then you do her dating side quest where she learns barely anything. Actually all the dating in p5 are dire or awful

It's insane how Makoto's S.Link starts out with "wow my friend is mad at me for constantly getting up in her business, but I'm only doing it to protect her." And then the actual S.Link is that she was right the whole time about her friends boyfriend, which means there's 0 moral message at all to be gleamed from it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Hour 1 Ann, clearly being groomed by a sex weirdo: I just want people to see me for who I am. I am a human being, with thoughts and feelings!

Hour 90 Ann, S.Link lvl8 event: Hey you made it! Will you oil up my rear end in a top hat for the Banana Splitz shoot? Thanks your such a good friend teehee!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's insane how Makoto's S.Link starts out with "wow my friend is mad at me for constantly getting up in her business, but I'm only doing it to protect her." And then the actual S.Link is that she was right the whole time about her friends boyfriend, which means there's 0 moral message at all to be gleamed from it.

I frequently think of the quote someone posted here about Ann's arc being basically like "I am frequently objectified and stereotyped and it gives the impression that someone can take advantage of me and it's demeaning and dangerous" and then by the end of her link it's like "teehee senpai can you help me oil up my rear end in a top hat for the photo shoot this afternoon"

Edit: yeah that one ^

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

P5R has some of the most fun dungeon crawling and actual battling, probably my favorite of 3, 4, and 5. Then it’s surrounded with most of the most questionable poo poo in the series.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i was talking about the themeing not the god stuff, because killing gods and demons is cool + the games invented it and theyre directly connected to fables and mythology in how they are constructed and its part of the entire appeal of smt and its related series'. yaldabaoth etc is not anything to do with why p5 falls over at all. shooting a giant god in the face with a huge gun kicks rear end, its all the characters constantly undermining themselves thats the problem lol

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

The journalist is apparently based on a real incident of a journalist getting censored and demoted for covering scandals and her friend being disappeared which is why we need to have her as an adult falling in love with a teenager by trying to get him drunk in a gay bar

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

tae takemi

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also the stuff at the end could be handled and written better but the idea that the thieves doing a revolution or whatever aids idea ppl like you always have wouldnt be directly conflicting what the story is about simply shows why p5 is written the way it is and not like 3 :cheers:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The journalist is apparently based on a real incident of a journalist getting censored and demoted for covering scandals and her friend being disappeared which is why we need to have her as an adult falling in love with a teenager by trying to get him drunk in a gay bar

The game told me any relation to real events was completely coincidental so that’s impossible

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah, Makoto has a bizarrely weak S.Link even among the relatively weak S.Links most of the Phantom Thieves have. It only means anything if you choose to date her because then at least it functions as a pretense she used to ease herself into dating instead of just being nothing.

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

maxing out Yuuki Mishima's Social Link by convincing him to stop posting in the games forum

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

very risky blowjob posted:

maxing out Yuuki Mishima's Social Link by convincing him to stop posting in the games forum

Maxing out Yukio Mishima’s Social Link by convincing him to take over a military base and start a coup lol.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

very risky blowjob posted:

take away his star. make it sting

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

just remembering yoshizawa (the p5 royal new character) doing the constant polite bowing and calling you senpai like a cloying typical best girl ever character and then they reveal the twist behind her character, and you think ah how clever, atlus! you have deliberately made me go through this poo poo and deconstructed her character and in fact she's not the stereotypical best girl from tokimeki memorial! nvm she still does that except maybe she gets a bit depressed or angry once in a while

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Maxing out Yukio Mishima’s Social Link by convincing him to take over a military base and start a coup lol.

they already did that

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I wish they'd proper remake the first two SMT games with the kind of treatment they have P3R, they're so wild

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Heath posted:

I wish they'd proper remake the first two SMT games with the kind of treatment they have P3R, they're so wild

They only want to remake good games people liked though

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Heath posted:

I don’t even need a remake, I’d play them on switch with some QOL updates.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
They'd have been perfect on 3DS. Strange Journey is great with the second screen

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Excuse me?

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

MarcusSA posted:

the fact that youre saying this in reference to loving atlus of all people lmfao

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
(on a brick i throw through the window into atlus studios) they should make more Devil Survivors

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

mycatscrimes posted:

(on a brick i throw through the window into atlus studios) they should make more Devil Survivors

Correct

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i ended up liking p5r the most overall largely based on the incredible third semester but p3 is extremely close. i haven't played reload yet, i'd like to soon

p4 is dogshit. terrible game. god i hate it

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
atlus will put out literally any steaming pile of crap they can scrounge up if they think they could get you to pay $60 for it, no shade to the games they actually make or publish but from the business angle thats their entire mo. that would mean the only reason they havent put those old smt games out yet is they think they couldnt get their $60 a copy from it lol

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
A lot of P5's SLinks are garbage because they hinge entirely on the protagonist Mementos-brainwashing someone, rather than the characters taking an action themselves to push through the issue because they know the protag has their back.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I really like Soul Hackers 2 but the amount of money they charged for a half-finished game and the fact that you basically need to buy the DLC to 100% the game's compendium with basically no endgame content was actually insulting

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

(on a brick i throw through the window into atlus studios) you should be able to put cigarettes out on your social links

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Howstever. Persona 4 is Fail.

this

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
3s the best and 4s the worst simple as

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Stux is going to kill you dude.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
started a new elden ring playthru tonight and forgot the first npc you can talk to asks “no bitches?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

One thing about Persona 5 is that it’s very specifically criticizing Japanese society rather than global fascism or whatever the more politics-brained people expected. Some of the villains are loosely based on actual news stories from over there and the last dungeon (and the overall prison theme) is about the bad sides of Japan’s collectivism, like the work culture and willingly being a cog in the machine. The public turns a blind eye to the villains’ actions because nobody wants to stand out or have to think about it, like a kind of bystander effect.

Of course the solution ends up being blowing up the deity representing all that and going “ok cool maybe stuff will get better now” but I guess that’s just how most Persona games are.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Howstever. Persona 4 is Fail.

It’s extremely win, actually