Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

bball is the best sport and the only sport worth watching in 2024

This.

Also kisses a shot off the glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

watching Draymond Green get unanimously kicked the gently caress out of the league while on my team made me happy

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

watching Draymond Green get unanimously kicked the gently caress out of the league while on my team made me happy

?? He's still playing for the Warriors

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
As an observer, basketball has always bored me because there's no tension in scoring -- if it's your turn with the ball, you're expected to score. Basketball point scoring is like a tennis return, but over a larger court and slower. There's not enough time to build up tension unless you're a crazy person, getting that tension buildup once every single minute. The tension release comes when the team you don't want to score fumbles the pattern and doesn't score. And it doesn't happen because a person made a very impressive play (though that does happen); it usually comes because the opposite team's player made a mistake.

It feels like the inverse of what I want. If I wanted to watch a sport where the good part happens when mistakes are made I'd be watching more NASCAR. Take soccer, for instance. The tension is constant, because we're hoping to see a score, and it almost never happens. And when it does, there's a huge release. I can see why people lose their poo poo when your team scores a goal in soccer. It's a celebratory moment.

edit: it occurs to me that this could be fixed if there was a goalie in basketball. There should be a goalie, then I'd enjoy it.

credburn fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 17, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

redshirt posted:

?? He's still playing for the Warriors

I don't really follow sports outside football that closely now that I don't drink at bars all the time, and especially not 1000 games a year sports like baseball and basketball, I thought they hosed him like he deserves. Turns out I was wrong!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

credburn posted:

As an observer, basketball has always bored me because there's no tension in scoring -- if it's your turn with the ball, you're expected to score. There's not enough time to build up tension unless you're a crazy person, getting that tension buildup once every single minute. The tension release comes when the team you don't want to score fumbles the pattern and doesn't score. Basketball point scoring is like a tennis return, but over a larger court and slower.

It feels like the inverse of what I want. Take soccer, for instance. The tension is constant, because we're hoping to see a score, and it almost never happens. And when it does, there's a huge release. I can see why people lose their poo poo when your team scores a goal in soccer. It's a celebratory moment.

edit: it occurs to me that this could be fixed if there was a goalie in basketball. There should be a goalie, then I'd watch.

I want to go at you point for point here

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
dray is the modern archetype of love to have on my team/hate to have playing against my team imo

since the game no longer allows all bruiser all the time guys a la rodman oakley lambier even barkley, it was inevitable that it would evolve the draymond

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Chief McHeath posted:

dray is the modern archetype of love to have on my team/hate to have playing against my team imo

since the game no longer allows all bruiser all the time guys a la rodman oakley lambier even barkley, it was inevitable that it would evolve the draymond

Yeah, he's exactly THAT guy

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

BILL LAMBIER'S COMBAT BASKETBALL

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

BILL LAMBIER'S COMBAT BASKETBALL

Just throwin' elbows, knees, head butts, you know, whatever it takes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'll tell you what was a good game that robot baseball game for the NES and Mutant league football for Sega.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

MLF Hockey and MLF Football were great mod packs for NHL and Madden

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

So this is my time to shine, right? I mean, I've literally been working my moves to the left for months. In the dead of winter!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

redshirt posted:

So this is my time to shine, right? I mean, I've literally been working my moves to the left for months. In the dead of winter!

the oldest player in the NBA in history

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

the oldest player in the NBA in history

If a dog can play in the NBA why can't a 50+ year old white guy with bad knees?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
a dog can run?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Lebron is getting up there in age. I don't think he's ever going to retire. He'll be like 65 years old and still playing.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Toxic Mental posted:

bball is the best sport and the only sport worth watching in 2024

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

UCONN!!! HUSKIES!!!!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
What I’m saying is UCONN won the Big East as is right and proper now time to get pumped for March Madness™️

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

What I’m saying is UCONN won the Big East as is right and proper now time to get pumped for March Madness™️

Indeed. I'm a bit sad for a friend to see Purdue lose.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

redshirt posted:

Indeed. I'm a bit sad for a friend to see Purdue lose.

By one point too :negative:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

credburn posted:

As an observer, basketball has always bored me because there's no tension in scoring -- if it's your turn with the ball, you're expected to score. Basketball point scoring is like a tennis return, but over a larger court and slower. There's not enough time to build up tension unless you're a crazy person, getting that tension buildup once every single minute. The tension release comes when the team you don't want to score fumbles the pattern and doesn't score. And it doesn't happen because a person made a very impressive play (though that does happen); it usually comes because the opposite team's player made a mistake.

It feels like the inverse of what I want. If I wanted to watch a sport where the good part happens when mistakes are made I'd be watching more NASCAR. Take soccer, for instance. The tension is constant, because we're hoping to see a score, and it almost never happens. And when it does, there's a huge release. I can see why people lose their poo poo when your team scores a goal in soccer. It's a celebratory moment.

edit: it occurs to me that this could be fixed if there was a goalie in basketball. There should be a goalie, then I'd enjoy it.

interesting. and yet soccer is boring af to watch and bball is fun to watch

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

By one point too :negative:

In OT!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Yeah, I don't want to be a Negative Nelly but I disagree with that entire take. And think the opposite.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'll tell you whats boring to watch on television but great to watch live and that is boxing. Boxing loving sucks to watch on TV compared to being ring side at a fight.

I'm not even really into boxing or sports but basketball and boxing are both sports that are super loving fun to watch live.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Hollismason posted:

I'll tell you what was a good game that robot baseball game for the NES and Mutant league football for Sega.

Base Wars! We rented that once when I was a kid and we didn't get far. Novel concept, though.

They made a cartoon based on Mutant League I think, it was pretty weird and the main guy was a skeleton with 90's bad guy attitude.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

as a kentucky fan who believes in the righteous justness of hoops i respectfully share the crown of blueblood with connecticut. some people say uconn isn't one because they don't have enough history but they've won championships in each of the last four decades and that sounds like enough for me.

that school has given me some heartache and jim calhoun was a dirty butt head but uconn is okay

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I like watching curling 'cause it's like, turn based. There's no fouls or other interruptions during the actual play.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Anything is boring to watch if you don't give a poo poo about the outcome.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol I'm like a basic biyatch I am rooting for CT, AZ, Purdue, and also UCLA

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
i don't care about basket ball or most sports really

y'all enjoy it if you like, i'll just wait for the next indy car race thanks

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

MrQwerty posted:

MILF Hockey and MILF Football were great

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Getting high at a AAA baseball game is the peak spectator experience. Big 'ol coca cola and a foam finger just blazed out of your fricken mind

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Literally A Person posted:

Getting high at a AAA baseball game is the peak spectator experience. Big 'ol coca cola and a foam finger just blazed out of your fricken mind

I always wanted to go see the 'topes a few times when I worked at a place that had a box cuz the Isotopes are actually fun to watch, but a few years prior to me working there one of the big-shot ladies in compounding got SHITFACED and decided to tell the C-suite WHAT SHE loving THOUGHT ABOUT THEM, FOR REAL in the box.
So after that, the box was considered a workspace, and considering the plant was regulated by the FDA and DEA, no alcohol was allowed or allowed to be consumed in the workspace, and you were not allowed to be inebriated in said workspace.
People would always try to get me to go, "no you just drink outside the box and it's fine," but lol nah not with them rules.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

I always wanted to go see the 'topes a few times when I worked at a place that had a box cuz the Isotopes are actually fun to watch, but a few years prior to me working there one of the big-shot ladies in compounding got SHITFACED and decided to tell the C-suite WHAT SHE loving THOUGHT ABOUT THEM, FOR REAL in the box.
So after that, the box was considered a workspace, and considering the plant was regulated by the FDA and DEA, no alcohol was allowed or allowed to be consumed in the workspace, and you were not allowed to be inebriated in said workspace.
People would always try to get me to go, "no you just drink outside the box and it's fine," but lol nah not with them rules.

Bro, Ezmerelda still might be going to games, daily. If you go to a Topes game she'll be the old Apache lady.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

redshirt posted:

Bro, Ezmerelda still might be going to games, daily. If you go to a Topes game she'll be the old Apache lady.

I still prefer the Dukes, but the Isotopes have a place in my heart just because the mayor got so mad about the Isotopes winning the naming contest that he tried to have it shut down, then he himself got shut down, then the 'topes had the #1 selling sports merch in the country that year.
I think I know who you're talking about.

edit: also if you don't know the story, the Albuquerque Dukes moved and the Calgary Cannons moved to Albuquerque and there was a naming contest held. The people of Albuquerque near-unanimously decided to name the team after a Simpsons joke. The mayor of Albuquerque got really mad about it and threatened to trash the whole thing, and the people of Albuquerque unanimously made mayor of Albuquerque jokes from the same Simpsons episode about him until he relented.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 17, 2024

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Smdh, typical American rock climbing Chad

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

we lost our energy after the Lakers got hosed by the refs so we all went home and now i'm not out playing pool like i had originally planned so i'm posting on the internet with my pals

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

we lost our energy after the Lakers got hosed by the refs so we all went home and now i'm not out playing pool like i had originally planned so i'm posting on the internet with my pals

The what?? Lakers getting hosed by the refs????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

redshirt posted:

The what?? Lakers getting hosed by the refs????

it was dirty and nasty and shouldn't have been seen on television!!!!!!!!!