Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

:psyduck:

I switched to solo Cloud and started doing a mix of dodges and Punisher counters while trying to get ATBs off. Now I get hit by Reprisal whenever I try to use an ability and Gjallarhorn goes off within 30 seconds. This sucks.

You should still be able to do it with a group. AI controlled party members aren't perfect at avoiding his attacks, but they're pretty decent at it, and it seems he ends the fight faster if it is the controlled character who takes lots of damage? Yuffie helps here since once you learn his attack timing you can just Brumal Form out of whatever he's throwing at you. Plus with two other party members you have a lot more opportunities to pile on damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Here's what I did for Odin both in the summon fight and in the protorelic finale .

I used a team of Cloud, Yuffie, and Barret and beat the second fight at level 50 on normal mode. Yuffie and Barret were both critical because they let me do damage to Odin from range. The assess text specifically says taking damage triggers Odin's instant kill IIRC, unlike other text which specified blocking. I took this to mean that you have to straight up avoid taking damage from Odin so guarding isn't enough unless you perfect block all the time.

Yuffie's Brumal Form/Mug ATB refund works wonders with Enemy Skill Plasma Discharge for doing damage during the vulnerability windows, especially in the second round when you can tag the other mob at the same time.

I controlled Yuffie for most of the fight and the big trick is that if Odin targets a party member that isn't Yuffie, you can yank them to Yuffie's side with the defensive synergy for Ninja Bazooka to make sure they don't get hit. If you stay in ranged form Yuffie for a majority of the fight, the party will naturally spread out making it easy to make sure Odin doesn't get AoE hits.

Most importantly, during the protorelic fight you can use items! Mist mega potions and giga potions are extremely useful and readily available so keep chugging them as needed.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

pretty sure you need Warding, but insta-death isn't listed as one of its status defenses so i'm not 100%

subversion materia with warding gives resistance to insta-death

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/IncorrectFFQTS/status/1769115425822933268

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

pretty sure you need Warding, but insta-death isn't listed as one of its status defenses so i'm not 100%

Doesn't the Karmic Cloak resist insta-death? Or am I thinking of a different status effect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

Yeah, the dumb thing about the Menu thing is that it's after the checkpoint so if you need it you have to chug those potions every time you retry and this seems like it's a lot of people's most retried encounter in the main story. It's a pretty excellent example of how a small time intrusion can feel maximally bad. Also, of course, it's useless on Hard mode although on Hard mode people will know it's coming so this is, kinda, less of a problem.

What are the situations? The only attack I've known him to always reload after is Think Fast which as far as I can tell isn't possible to block or dodge through unless there's some part of that explosion that isn't a hitbox, or if for some reason he happens to fire it away from you. All the others I've seen him chain.

E: lol no I've just seen him chain out of Think Fast

I'd need to go back and redo the fight but there are certain attack patterns he always ends with a reload. The one I remember off the top of my head is the rapid fire machine gun one where I was always able to reliable stagger him after.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Doesn't the Karmic Cloak resist insta-death? Or am I thinking of a different status effect.

it does

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Beat Odin on Dynamic. Did it with Cloud, Barret, and Tifa. It sucked, and if this is supposed to be a DPS race the gimmick is not communicated well.

Here’s the deal: you need to optimize the hell out of your party strategy. Your goal is to minimize damage taken and maximize damage dealt. This requires the following:

- Keep Debrave and Deprotect up on Odin. This makes him deal less damage and take more damage. Don’t them it lapse.
- Keep Haste, Brave, and Protect up on the party. This makes your party deal more damage and take less damage. Don’t let them lapse.
- Stack Vitality Up, Strength Up, Luck Up, Steadfast Block, Precision Defense, etc. - anything that means you either deal more damage or take less damage.
- Use your Synergy Skills and Abilities. This lets you build more ATB and get higher level limit breaks, and therefore deal more take less etc.
- Don’t get hit. Dodge everything, block if you don’t feel confident but that’s risky.
- Only use your ATB when Odin’s distracted and firing off an attack on a different party member. This prevents him from using Reprisal for the crime of using your ATB because apparently Square-Enix thinks you, the player, can go gently caress yourself with a rake.

Basically, you have to go full-on tryhard on damage mitigation and party optimization. Odin’s a sweatlord I guess. Still a crap fight.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Reprisal apparently only triggers if you got hit by one of the red glowy moves. You'll know if you'll trigger it or not if your character has red handcuffs/shackles on them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hyper Inferno posted:

Reprisal apparently only triggers if you got hit by one of the red glowy moves. You'll know if you'll trigger it or not if your character has red handcuffs/shackles on them.

is that what that loving was, holy poo poo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I found Punisher/Prime mode counterattacks really useful for Odin since even if you don’t get the perfect guard timing they poo poo out enough damage to make up for the damage you’re taking.

Hyper Inferno posted:

You'll know if you'll trigger it or not if your character has red handcuffs/shackles on them.

god loving dammit

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I suspect I'm gonna find this was true in Remake as well but it seems hilariously possible to Braver through certain Rufus moves like Think Fast and hit him in what can't be more than a frame or two when he has started reloading but the hitbox for Think Fast hasn't activated yet. I have to check but maybe I even have this on video.

Going for the Braver is definitely the opportunist play and not The Strategy; Focused Thrust can reliably pressure him from way further away and it's a crapshoot trying to deliberately set up a Braver.

Also; it seems that if you can pressure and juggle Darkstar, using Triple Strike on him can also I guess interrupt Rufus out of most states on the second of the strikes that goes to him.

All in all I'm not sure of the wisdom of the handful of updates they made to him and I sure as gently caress do not find Scotch and Kotch funny anymore and I don't know if I mentioned that I don't like how they handle the checkpoint before him but overall he's still a really unbelievably good boss fight that got lost on the way to Devil May Cry and somehow ended up in FFVII.

I still have no idea how to actually deal with his team up dog magic; I just learned how to reliably kill Darkstar before they get on that bullshit.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Beat Odin on Dynamic. Did it with Cloud, Barret, and Tifa. It sucked, and if this is supposed to be a DPS race the gimmick is not communicated well.

Here’s the deal: you need to optimize the hell out of your party strategy. Your goal is to minimize damage taken and maximize damage dealt. This requires the following:

- Keep Debrave and Deprotect up on Odin. This makes him deal less damage and take more damage. Don’t them it lapse.
- Keep Haste, Brave, and Protect up on the party. This makes your party deal more damage and take less damage. Don’t let them lapse.
- Stack Vitality Up, Strength Up, Luck Up, Steadfast Block, Precision Defense, etc. - anything that means you either deal more damage or take less damage.
- Use your Synergy Skills and Abilities. This lets you build more ATB and get higher level limit breaks, and therefore deal more take less etc.
- Don’t get hit. Dodge everything, block if you don’t feel confident but that’s risky.
- Only use your ATB when Odin’s distracted and firing off an attack on a different party member. This prevents him from using Reprisal for the crime of using your ATB because apparently Square-Enix thinks you, the player, can go gently caress yourself with a rake.

Basically, you have to go full-on tryhard on damage mitigation and party optimization. Odin’s a sweatlord I guess. Still a crap fight.

I somehow beat him on Dynamic without debuffing/buffing, though I was dumb not to and need to integrate that more into my strategies.

IIRC I was just able to pile on a lot of damage in the latter parts once I got off some synergy abilities.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Well I’m pretty bad at combat so it was required for me v:v:v

Basically stat buffs and debuffs themselves don’t pressure Odin directly, they just make it easier to do enough damage to get him in a pressured state.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

you can't Punish Counter him like most enemies because he likes to use projectiles if he catches you blocking, so use cloud's blade beam (attack out of a dodge) to whittle him down and build your ATB at a distance

this strategy will also come in handy for another boss later

Following up on this a second time.

You mean (Ch. 12) Rufus, don't you?

What I wouldn't give for a mid boss checkpoint. :negative:

Whelp I gotta go make dinner, here's hoping my PS5 doesn't reboot overnight at this Game Over screen.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

I somehow beat him on Dynamic without debuffing/buffing, though I was dumb not to and need to integrate that more into my strategies.

IIRC I was just able to pile on a lot of damage in the latter parts once I got off some synergy abilities.

It's really fun in this (and, honestly, a lot of other fights) when you stagger him and both Cloud and Yuffie immediately have limit breaks to hit him with from opposite sides, while Barret charges up a 2 or 3 bar Maximum Fury.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Whelp I gotta go make dinner, here's hoping my PS5 doesn't reboot overnight at this Game Over screen.

I took a break on a fight and literally turned off console updates and the internet connection as a safety measure, out of fear of losing my spot

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Im on chapter 9 and on god the phoenix fight is the hardest thing in this game so far. I can’t even come close to a win. It doesn’t seem doable at all

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Wamsutta posted:

Im on chapter 9 and on god the phoenix fight is the hardest thing in this game so far. I can’t even come close to a win. It doesn’t seem doable at all

You just kill all the little guys and then kill phoenix because it’s invincible until you kill all the little guys.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

You just kill all the little guys and then kill phoenix because it’s invincible until you kill all the little guys.

And then everyone dies to rebirth flame or drat near it and then it summons three more adds :-/

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

And then everyone dies to rebirth flame or drat near it and then it summons three more adds :-/

why don't you just reduce its power then

this isn't like sekiro or something where you can no-hit a fight if your reflexes are sharp enough, if you try to fight everything at the hardest available difficulty without exacting setups then you're going to get stomped. hard mode's the exception because it's opt-in and at that point you're expected to have most or all of the tools needed to deal with the challenge

reduce the difficulty, collect your prize and move on

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

why don't you just reduce its power then

this isn't like sekiro or something where you can no-hit a fight if your reflexes are sharp enough, if you try to fight everything at the hardest available difficulty without exacting setups then you're going to get stomped. hard mode's the exception because it's opt-in and at that point you're expected to have most or all of the tools needed to deal with the challenge

reduce the difficulty, collect your prize and move on

I didn’t want to beat it below full power and I actually just managed it. Cloud/Aerith/Barrett got it done :) Barrett the only death surprisingly, I mis-timed Healing Wind oops

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
How on EARTH do you do the sit up challenge? I can't even beat the side quest mandatory one.
The best I've got is 11 to amina's 27.
I can pick up a decent pace, but after l2 flashes and you have to press it a bunch, every time it moves to r2 she fucks up. I guess I'm pressing L2 one time too many during the rapid button presses, and it doesn't register as a failure until the marker gets all the way to r2, but it's loving impossible. If I don't mash it as fast as I can I can barely get the meter up.

Edit: I just did it again, perfectly, didn't fail once, just took my time on mashing L2 and got SEVENTEEN. How am I supposed to beat 25 - 27?

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 17, 2024

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

How on EARTH do you do the sit up challenge? I can't even beat the side quest mandatory one.
I can pick up a decent pace, but after l2 flashes and you have to press it a bunch, every time it moves to r2 she fucks up. I guess I'm pressing L2 one time too many during the rapid button presses, and it doesn't register as a failure until the marker gets all the way to r2, but it's loving impossible. If I don't mash it as fast as I can I can barely get the meter up.

i slammed the trigger like a madman during those prompts and never whiffed it, they felt pretty generous. i did have to disable trigger effects, all music, and all voices just so i could concentrate on my button presses and not sprain my fingers

my best guess is you're still keyed up from rapidly pressing the trigger prompt so you hit the follow-up too early

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

cubicle gangster posted:

go to the settings menu and lower/disable trigger resistance

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Wamsutta posted:

You can stop it from casting Rebirth Flame. When it starts casting Empowering Flame hit it as hard as you can to pressure it. Pressuring interrupts the attack and it can't use its ult without getting off two full Empowering Flame stacks.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Oxxidation posted:

my best guess is you're still keyed up from rapidly pressing the trigger prompt so you hit the follow-up too early

Maybe, but I just did the best I've ever done and got 17 to her 25. I could maybe eek out a couple more if I was perfect but I honestly don't see how I can beat her when she's getting 27. 17 was with zero mistakes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

Maybe, but I just did the best I've ever done and got 17 to her 25. I could maybe eek out a couple more if I was perfect but I honestly don't see how I can beat her when she's getting 27. 17 was with zero mistakes.

would probably have to see a recording or something, because if you're hitting every prompt you should be able to speed up your pace enough to leave her in the dust

for reference the final tier of the minigame goes on for 90 seconds and requires over 50 crunches

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Finally beat it.

Total Time: 54 hours

Really love this game. Now to figure out how to get the summons without getting my poo poo handed to me.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
It's done!
Disabling trigger resistance helped a lot, more than I expected it to - I just got 23, and Amina got 17.
Her result is more random than I expected, that's still not enough to beat the first few scores she got but I'm not complaining, I'm done with it at least. gently caress trying to do 50 in 90s.
I want to beat all the side quests but I don't need to get top rank in the mini games.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Katamari Democracy posted:

Finally beat it.

Total Time: 54 hours

Really love this game. Now to figure out how to get the summons without getting my poo poo handed to me.

Just do all the crystals in their respective zones and every fight is a cakewalk

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Aerith turned blue but Tifa hasn't yet :ohdear: I want the Tifa date. I think I answered a question badly on the beach just now for Tifa but I've basically nailed everything with Aerith. I guess I could give a lovely response to Aerith on the next choice but I don't like being mean to all my good video game friends :(

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Aerith turned blue but Tifa hasn't yet :ohdear: I want the Tifa date. I think I answered a question badly on the beach just now for Tifa but I've basically nailed everything with Aerith. I guess I could give a lovely response to Aerith on the next choice but I don't like being mean to all my good video game friends :(

i'd just go with the flow and youtube the alternates afterward. there's a lot of them

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006
The cait sith chase at the end of 12 is the most "this could have just been a cutscene" thing in the game so far. It really killed the pacing of the chapter for me since there's no actual reason for it to be a playable segment. Just show the reveal.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Kosume Shezaki posted:

The cait sith chase at the end of 12 is the most "this could have just been a cutscene" thing in the game so far. It really killed the pacing of the chapter for me since there's no actual reason for it to be a playable segment. Just show the reveal.

It is a bit annoying but also consider that they made his theme a banger and they needed to play it somewhere other than his tutorial

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Should I be able to explore all of the Corel open world before going to the Gold Saucer?

EDIT: oh of course, the giant section I can’t get to because debris blocks my path must be the prison section

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Should I be able to explore all of the Corel open world before going to the Gold Saucer?

EDIT: oh of course, the giant section I can’t get to because debris blocks my path must be the prison section

my Completionist Brain was chewing on the walls because of this, but corel in general is staggered out for a much longer time than the other regions. don't worry if you feel like you've missed something

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

broken pixel posted:

I took a break on a fight and literally turned off console updates and the internet connection as a safety measure, out of fear of losing my spot

wait is THAT why once every blue moon my console is fully turned off and my quick start progress is gone? I assumed I was having power outages while I was at work. drat.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

man gently caress off

https://youtu.be/kaPmtPRN514

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Kosume Shezaki posted:

I was doubly annoyed with it because I’d just come off of a boss fight I hated and then all of a sudden I’m playing hide and seek. Worst part is I thought I was chasing him so when I saw him scamper around I’d try to chase to no avail, before I stumbled upon a triangle input icon