Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
This is probably a secret blessing for the VE crew, their older stuff is so full of outdated code and tech debt that being able to just cut them off without worrying about save breaking must feel great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DoubleNegative posted:

VE is discontinuing a bunch of mods for 1.5

I only use a few VE mods, but I must give credit to the mod crew for their informative layouts in nearly all aspects. This is a very handy overview where you can see at a quick glance what's happening to the big mods. And their mod descriptions on the workshop both allow for quick skimming to get a gist of the mod, as well as provide a more detailed overview when you really want to dig into what's part of a specific mod.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Torrannor posted:

I only use a few VE mods, but I must give credit to the mod crew for their informative layouts in nearly all aspects. This is a very handy overview where you can see at a quick glance what's happening to the big mods. And their mod descriptions on the workshop both allow for quick skimming to get a gist of the mod, as well as provide a more detailed overview when you really want to dig into what's part of a specific mod.

Given all their work seems to be bottlenecked by programmer time, I assume Oskar has a lot of time to spend on infographics. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
VE Insectoids is probably the biggest blow, because for some inexplicable reason, I don't think there is another mod that expands the Insectoids as a threat/faction (and if there is, I would appreciate linking it here :v:) . Everything else is pretty old, cumbersome and easily replaced.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1319614331

Better Infestations is fun but seems it's no longer updated, shame.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Kestral posted:

Medieval Overhaul. I’ve used it a lot and quite like it, but I’m also a modding fiend who will go to great lengths to set up the scenarios I have in mind.

Losing VE Medieval actually hurts in that respect, because it was fully compatible with Medieval Overhaul and its factions added some interesting contrast to the MO ones.

Medieval Overhaul is decent but it's the perfect example of dumb mandatory modder ideas being forced in with other content.

"Here's all this cool medieval content with new buildings, apparel, weapons, armour, and factions! Also to use it you have to put up with a total overhaul of the resource system so no raw resources are actually useful and you need to smelt metal into ingots, cut timber into boards, and wait days for any animal skin to tan before you get leather. This cannot be disabled for reasons".

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah that's a good example of something that started out pretty good and gradually bloated up to something bad
e: dang, you can start with random schematic books that just ... teach you entire technology topics when a pawn reads them for recreation :stare:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 16, 2024

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

Lt. Lizard posted:

VE Insectoids is probably the biggest blow, because for some inexplicable reason, I don't think there is another mod that expands the Insectoids as a threat/faction (and if there is, I would appreciate linking it here :v:) . Everything else is pretty old, cumbersome and easily replaced.

For what it's worth, this is being discontinued because Insectoids, Medieval and Vikings are getting entirely rewritten from the ground up to decrease the bloat and bring the features in line with vanilla as it exists today rather than when they were released ~4 years ago. Vikings is getting entirely rolled into VE Medieval 2.

Also good riddance to Achievements, Rimworld Rick, and Oskar Obnoxious, those three mods are the bane of every other mod's existence and cause nothing but problems.

ZeeCee fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 16, 2024

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't trust VE to decrease the bloat, all of their mods since then have had much more bloat than Medieval did. Medieval is downright concise compared to Pirates, Ancients, Mechanoids, etc

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

QuarkJets posted:

I don't trust VE to decrease the bloat, all of their mods since then have had much more bloat than Medieval did. Medieval is downright concise compared to Pirates, Ancients, Mechanoids, etc

Ever since pirates I think they've done a pretty good job of reigning it in, like I think the VE race packs are pretty solid and tightly scoped (except the :gonk: highmates one), but yeah Pirates, Ancients, and Mechanoids are so bad for bloat I turned them off long ago.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Holy poo poo y'all, 1.5 books are SO COOL

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ZeeCee posted:

Ever since pirates I think they've done a pretty good job of reigning it in, like I think the VE race packs are pretty solid and tightly scoped (except the :gonk: highmates one), but yeah Pirates, Ancients, and Mechanoids are so bad for bloat I turned them off long ago.

I don't think that there was much bloat in Medieval in the first place though. I guess they can drop wall torches since those will be in the base game soon.

Really my thought was that Medieval was a pretty lightweight mod by VFE standards, so I feel like making it bigger is the most likely outcome

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Personally the only reason I had it in the first place was because I like giving my pawns many forms of alcohol and one was included.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
There’s a mod I used years ago which added grapes and wine barrels which you could set to age to thresholds. On completion, they got the same Quality results as crafted gear does as part of their value.

I was also running the mod which adds basically gear enchantments, and since wine bottles had quality and were technically weapons like beer bottles are, and I had all my casks set to age to Masterwork or Legendary, my wine kept rolling rare and named weapon enchantments.

We had a Masterwork sniper rifle with six enchantments on it, which could fire three single shots faster than an AR’s three-round burst, but also just continued firing at that rate for the whole engagement. A squad of six combatants stacked up similarly (3-4 per weapon and 2-4 on armor) never encountered a hostile force which they couldn’t beat. It was unambiguously cheaty but in a way which was fun to do once.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
loving quote not edit

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So nice we said it twice!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The books look a lot like the ones from the book mod I used to use, nice to see honestly, a library and knowledge base would be super valuable.

I wonder if you could make it so you can have the right kind of books near a work station to improve it. Medical textbooks in a hospital etc.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

Holy poo poo y'all, 1.5 books are SO COOL

That looks loving amazing. Cheap way to have people train up skills without producing anything you don't particularly need at the time.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

The books look a lot like the ones from the book mod I used to use, nice to see honestly, a library and knowledge base would be super valuable.

I wonder if you could make it so you can have the right kind of books near a work station to improve it. Medical textbooks in a hospital etc.

IIRC the patch notes said bookcases would improve nearby research benches so it should be easy to mod that in if it isn't a vanilla feature

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

in practice it's making quests that offer books as rewards extremely appealing :hmmyes:

it looks like pawns will choose to read pretty infrequently but if you really want to just sit on a guy you can force them to read it all day long, I don't know if there's a limit (how much can you really learn from reading a single book 25 times?)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

drat, books look sweet as hell.

I finally bought Rimworld, now to decide on DLC -_-

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

They're all excellent, get all of them.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

IMO Ideology and Biotech are the two most worth getting and also tie into the most mods.

Ideology adds a ton to make your colony unique and Biotech adds a ton to make your pawns unique (and also children).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Biotech is more gameplay oriented while ideology is sort of more like an advanced scenario editor, it's not really balanced or anything but it lets you set up strongly themed colonies.

Royalty for my money is good too, psycasts are a great addition and if you want to roleplay making the fanciest pad around it gives you a reason to do that.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

They're all excellent, get all of them.

honestly yeah all of them are good, it's come out to about 1.2 cents an hour

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
And if you don't like one aspect of it, just ignore it. These all have qol improvements

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Strapped for cash atm but I'll grab Ideology first I think, then Biotech. ty!

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I would say get them all eventually, because even if the main content of the expansion isn't your thing, if you like mods, tons of stuff will have been built onto the underlying code. Like, I don't think Anomaly looks like something I'll be using in all my playthroughs, but I bet it's going to give the modders tons of hooks to tweak and add in new things.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
So I've found a neat mod combo going to deal with the absurd suicidal raids that push you toward building killboxes problem.
First I installed the CAI 5000 ai mod that really does wonders to make enemies act in a reasonable way and resist getting funneled into obvious chokes, they properly reposition to stay in appropriate range for the weapon they have while taking cover too, overall fantastic improvement that actually makes combat way more challenging. It has an optional fog of war feature too but I don't think I will use it.
Then I pair that with the Enemy Self Preservation mod that makes human raiders individually flee if they're at risk of dying, which is realistic but makes the combat easier.

So the end result is that killbox meta is dead, you'll be building realistic emplacements fighting smart enemies, and your minimum win scenario will be forcing a retreat where a lot of failed attackers survive. There won't be absurd mountains of corpses, and fleeing enemies will take their loot with them, so you get to make a choice to pursue or not, since good gear may be worth the effort, or alternatively the upside of not pursuing is winning a defense does not snowball colony wealth.

Mechanoids never flee though so this makes them even more dangerous, thankfully we can now build tanks.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

QuarkJets posted:

I don't think that there was much bloat in Medieval in the first place though. I guess they can drop wall torches since those will be in the base game soon.

Really my thought was that Medieval was a pretty lightweight mod by VFE standards, so I feel like making it bigger is the most likely outcome

It felt light because vikings was it's own mod.

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

So I've found a neat mod combo going to deal with the absurd suicidal raids that push you toward building killboxes problem.
First I installed the CAI 5000 ai mod that really does wonders to make enemies act in a reasonable way and resist getting funneled into obvious chokes, they properly reposition to stay in appropriate range for the weapon they have while taking cover too, overall fantastic improvement that actually makes combat way more challenging. It has an optional fog of war feature too but I don't think I will use it.
Then I pair that with the Enemy Self Preservation mod that makes human raiders individually flee if they're at risk of dying, which is realistic but makes the combat easier.

So the end result is that killbox meta is dead, you'll be building realistic emplacements fighting smart enemies, and your minimum win scenario will be forcing a retreat where a lot of failed attackers survive. There won't be absurd mountains of corpses, and fleeing enemies will take their loot with them, so you get to make a choice to pursue or not, since good gear may be worth the effort, or alternatively the upside of not pursuing is winning a defense does not snowball colony wealth.

Mechanoids never flee though so this makes them even more dangerous, thankfully we can now build tanks.

Yeah but does it work with combat extended?

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 17, 2024

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Maybe pirates expanded will have more pirate stuff in it than a cannon

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
they aren't getting rid of pirates are they?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Tankbuster posted:

they aren't getting rid of pirates are they?

No, they just need time to update it to 1.5

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Man I need to get my eyes checked cause I thought I saw Pirates in the "We are remaking this mod" section

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
maybe you are just that mad at warcaskets.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Tankbuster posted:

maybe you are just that mad at warcaskets.

you would be too if you got welded into a car

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Warcaskets were a sad necessity until vehicles were invented on the Rim.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I am mad at warcaskets personally

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Someone on Reddit was talking about Tynan patching out the exploit that allowed for the Singularity Killbox. Upon investigation, it appears to be the "camping on an open door prevents enemy pawns from seeing you until they're right next to you" exploit.

Naturally the post is decrying how "almost all killboxes are gonna break now." :lmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I've never been clear why it's even called VFE Pirates instead of VFE Mercenaries or something. There's basically nothing piratey in it besides the old timey cannon, the rum(which comes from sweat for some reason), and debateably the pirate's curse mutators. The two actual big gameplay additions in the pack are warcaskets and the mercenary system, neither of which have any real relation to the rum-and-cutlass pirate theme.