Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Pronouncing the haitch in herb is a very recent hinglish hypercorrection.

Caribbean people, RP speakers, and most of the Eastern Commonwealth still pronounce 'erb correctly, it's just Hyacinth Bucket types who hadd the hunnecessary.

Used to be a big department store in Clapham called Arding & Hobbs and my mother kept telling me off for saying Arding because she assumed I was dropping aitches & she kept referring to it as Harding & Hobbs.

snipe:

1965 - first Asda opens in Castleford, Yorkshire. First KFC opens in Preston, Lancs. And the bank rate is reduced to 6%.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Dabir posted:

Weren't there a couple of domestic terrorists who wanted to get him if they could, too?

If by domestic terrorists you mean the army, then yes, there was that picture of are brave boys with Corbyns picture on the targets at a firing range.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The incitement to kill Corbyn can be traced back to at least 2016:

The Daily Heil changed 'kill' to 'dump' at some point for the online edition.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Caroline Lucas was recently interviewed by Alastair Campbell and he brought up how when Corbyn became leader she was really supportive of him and pretty much agreed with him on everything. She concurred but apparently made it plain that she didn't anymore. Why would Lucas feel the need to distance herself from Corbyn?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
There was also the domestic terrorist who rented a van, drove from Wales, and arrived too late for Corbyn so ran over an old bloke leaving mosque.

That one stuck in the memory cause all his neighbours said he was an obvious wrongun and had no idea why he hadn't been arrested

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Spangly A posted:

There was also the domestic terrorist who rented a van, drove from Wales, and arrived too late for Corbyn so ran over an old bloke leaving mosque.

That one stuck in the memory cause all his neighbours said he was an obvious wrongun and had no idea why he hadn't been arrested

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of

fuctifino posted:

The incitement to kill Corbyn can be traced back to at least 2016:

Right yeah and that was right after Jo Cox was murdered

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Caroline Lucas was recently interviewed by Alastair Campbell and he brought up how when Corbyn became leader she was really supportive of him and pretty much agreed with him on everything. She concurred but apparently made it plain that she didn't anymore. Why would Lucas feel the need to distance herself from Corbyn?

Cause he’s a spent force politically so there’s no upside in sticking up for him. Cynical but not surprising.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

TACD posted:

Americans pronounce it “erb” and that’s all I need to know it’s wrong

Kräuter (pronounced like kroyter) is the only acceptable form of herbs IMO. :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lucas did not agree with corbyn she spent plenty of time sniping at him at the time too. She's never been willing to be associated with him.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Has anyone mentioned the squadies using JC’s photo for target practice? That seemed to amount to nothing

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

NotJustANumber99 posted:

because it is now official consensus among everyone that matters that he's an incorrigibly evil antisemite and to say he's right about something, you may as well be talking about hitler

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Lucas did not agree with corbyn she spent plenty of time sniping at him at the time too. She's never been willing to be associated with him.

this isnt accurate.

In August 2015, Lucas endorsed Jeremy Corbyn's campaign in the Labour Party leadership election. She wrote in The Independent: "I've never felt so optimistic about a potential leader of the Labour Party. For the first time in my memory, the party of Keir Hardie and Clement Attlee looks likely to be led again by someone who dares to stand up for the radical changes demanded by the challenges we face."[61]

And like I say , in the interview just the other day she reiterated that support.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The Corbyn gun target video also demonstrated what terrible shots those servicemen were. Most of the rounds missed the target entirely.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
You might think that means they're terrible shots, but actually they're very good at it when the target is lying/kneeling on the floor in front of them, handcuffed and blindfolded.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/FreddyHicarus/status/1769305607285166191
:allears:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

There's a ton of books about the rise of Corbyn and "the radical left" and that sort of thing on Verso, if you want to buy some books and read them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
[Racist waiting room]

Me: [chanting] clear, clear-

Other participants: clear, CLEAR

Transport Secretary: [pounding his clipboard] CLEAR, CLEAR, CLEAR!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Used to be a big department store in Clapham called Arding & Hobbs and my mother kept telling me off for saying Arding because she assumed I was dropping aitches & she kept referring to it as Harding & Hobbs.
The only time I will tolerate this is in saying 'Prince Handrew'.

(also it is 'an historian')

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Hmm yes questions must be asked

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
There was also that guy who basically punched Corbyn in the head, but happened to have an egg in his hand so was reporting as just egging JC.

Video of it in the middle of this article
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47691606.amp

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Rarity posted:

Hmm yes questions must be asked

It seemed unusual to me. You don't think so?

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011
Also, don't "correct" me by saying "WATER" if I ask for some "wa'er". The glotta stop is a perfectly valid linguistic tool, you scumbag :colbert:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dead Goon posted:

There's a ton of books about the rise of Corbyn and "the radical left" and that sort of thing on Verso, if you want to buy some books and read them.

I don't mean to be rude but that's not a helpful thing to say. If I ask someone for help, it's because I think they can provide more specific advice to at least point me in the right direction. "Library's that way pal" isn't it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Phrakusca posted:

Also, don't "correct" me by saying "WATER" if I ask for some "wa'er". The glotta stop is a perfectly valid linguistic tool, you scumbag :colbert:
This but lider fluid.

If people can get their heads around how Loughborough is pronounced they can also understand the general attitude around here to anything that contains ghs.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Catzilla posted:

If by domestic terrorists you mean the army, then yes, there was that picture of are brave boys with Corbyns picture on the targets at a firing range.

Yeah that was a place just down the road from me. I'm surprised it's still open.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It seemed unusual to me. You don't think so?

Mhm indeed this needs to be investigated

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Rarity posted:

Mhm indeed this needs to be investigated

It seems like you are attempting to use sarcasm to diminish the significance of something? To encourage it to be ignored. why?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It seems like you are attempting to use sarcasm to diminish the significance of something? To encourage it to be ignored. why?

Someone should look into this imo

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Rarity posted:

Someone should look into this imo

Well, ignoring your reluctance, agreed.

It is worrying that someone with usually pretty respectable views like Caroline Lucas appears to be part of the "Official consensus" that Nuclear Spoon refers to.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
The rise of Corbyn was pretty awful for the Green Party as a party, they lost a lot of their members to Labour.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And then put out a statement saying they didn't want them back lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Freddy 'Icarus

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Another example of how the media refused to give Corbyn/Labour a fair hearing, but in a different way to just outright lying or suddenly pretending that going to a post-Cenotaph lunch is the sign of a true statesman, was just treating all their policies like they were naive, impossible fantasy and never wavering from that.

Like the plan to plant two billion trees in 20 years, where they did the maths and found that meant 200 trees planted per minute. "How are you going to plant 200 trees every minute for 20 years JEREMY???? It's ludicrous!! Not Common Sense!!!"

When in fact large organised plantings can easily plant hundreds of millions of seeds every day (tens of thousands per minute) and other projects around the world aim for billions of trees every year.

It's a policy dominated by large numbers that ordinary people don't have any experience with, either in general or in the specific field of tree planting. So it's easy for the tabloids to make it seem ludicrous, and they had no interest in remotely doing anything different.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Even as simple as "if you employ two thousand people that's one every ten minutes"

How do you do anything in large volumes? Just not possible.

A fairly large factory's worth of labour. Impossible for the UK to achieve.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Allowing people to own two billion though, that's just common sense.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

fuctifino posted:

Ah yes, but the important thing, as the Mail always remind us, is that the Mail Online is a seperate entity. Completely different thing. It just uses the same articles, same writers, same editorial control and fonts on the logo and the paper constantly advertises the online edition. Only a fool would confuse the two.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

As much as Stephen Fry went a bit melty. Him telling grammar and proninciation particularists to gently caress off, because language is designed to evolve and change, was quite enjoyable.

I used to be super anal about pronunciation, then I moved to multiple foreign countries and learnt 3 additional languages. It became so apparent what a waste of time it was and how much of a prick you sound trying to correct people, even with the best of intent.

Yeah, hearing Yorkshire people pronounce Estrella makes my autism brain misfire but so loving what.

I just adjust how I say things depending on who I'm speaking to and gently caress the haters if I say Barcelona like a South American, like a Valencian or like an Italian.

Just ask anyone to say Worcestershire Sauce. Then try and say "I åa ä e ö å i öa ä e å" in Swedish or ask how many buffalo in American English.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the only one that made me twitch was when I used to do the advertisements and the person in charge of that pronounced tsingtao beer as "tuh-sing-t'-ow" which was like, surely you could get closer just by trying to make it parsable with english noises.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
mushroom mushroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Used to love a ♬ Nessils Milky Bar ♬