Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

IIRC Aurelius didn’t even say that in the movie. It was Crow’s character Maximus.

Yeah, forgot to clarify that.
It's weird how these misattributed quotes get so out of hand. In my searching to verify this there were piles of clearly educated people writing articles where they blindly make this quote over and over again. Even referencing Meditations as the source and not bothering to double-check that.
Like it's readily available in plain text in multiple translations and the word 'echo' (and its derivations) appears only 4 times, with nothing even similar to this quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

IIRC Aurelius didn’t even say that in the movie. It was Crow’s character Maximus.

Aurelius was obviously just a very talented ventriloquist.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I think you will find that Chris writes his letters similar to how he directs video games

Lots of fluff with no substance

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This is the same guy who mimicked JFK's "we do this because it's hard" in reference to developing Star Citizen as if it was the moon landing, so a miss attributed Marcus Aurelius quote is actually quite tame.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://packaged-media.redd.it/dicg...e42ac600bd0#t=0

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

lmao I was gonna post ho this had big mission accomplished energy

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
They're going to do a Godus aren't they?

Squadron 42 is just going to use a modified Freelancer engine and you're going to go into Space Civilian with a CYOA to setup your character.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Fidelitious posted:

I forgot to mention how absolutely insane it was to open that letter with a "quote" from Marcus Aurelius. Pretty pretentious for a crappy videogame.

First it's not even quoted correctly, and secondly Marcus Aurelius never wrote that and it is one of the most frequently misattributed quotes.
It is in fact "what we do in life echoes in eternity" and it's a line that was written for the Gladiator movie.

So many places say it's a quote from 'Meditations' and yet not a single source points to the actual quote. It's also completely at odds with stoicism and would make no sense for Aurelius to write that, particularly in Meditations.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Fidelitious posted:

I forgot to mention how absolutely insane it was to open that letter with a "quote" from Marcus Aurelius. Pretty pretentious for a crappy videogame.

First it's not even quoted correctly, and secondly Marcus Aurelius never wrote that and it is one of the most frequently misattributed quotes.
It is in fact "what we do in life echoes in eternity" and it's a line that was written for the Gladiator movie.

So many places say it's a quote from 'Meditations' and yet not a single source points to the actual quote. It's also completely at odds with stoicism and would make no sense for Aurelius to write that, particularly in Meditations.

(mirificusbot) python3 post.py dickwulfewewondodgylatin

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Experimental Skin posted:

(mirificusbot) python3 post.py dickwulfewewondodgylatin

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023

MedicineHut posted:

Can´t see this discussed in Spectrum yet. Are they just playing na, na, na didn´t hear, or something?

Sempai Smart would be proud of this ELE.

this might be simplifying things but i would be surprised if anyone that spends money on spaceship jpgs and is also still invested in this game has any idea how to quantify equity structuring let alone understand capitalism. realistically none of it matters because cig will never unfuck themselves from this, but christ roberts and his friends have all done very well.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

swamp thong posted:

this might be simplifying things but i would be surprised if anyone that spends money on spaceship jpgs and is also still invested in this game has any idea how to quantify equity structuring let alone understand capitalism. realistically none of it matters because cig will never unfuck themselves from this, but christ roberts and his friends have all done very well.

Could be, but not even game press is picking this up which is weird. Wonder if they are also so oblivious to the consequences of the Calders buy back option. I mean the thing is so dire that even the auditors had to say CIG is hiding things from them, that alone should be news worthy, never mind the fact CIG owes the Calders 120m. Until now all backers really believed is that they were just regular shares, but what we have here is pretty much a loan. A draconian one at that.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 17, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Wasn't it always known CIG had investors who would obviously at some point want a return? With how much idiots seem to be willing to pay for spaceship images they may even be able to give it to them.

Possibly they'll end up taking a complete bath with how poorly managed CIG is. Scam could keep going ten more years, but if next year they suddenly decleared bankrupcy out of nowhere would be utterly unsuprised.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

dr_rat posted:

Wasn't it always known CIG had investors who would obviously at some point want a return? With how much idiots seem to be willing to pay for spaceship images they may even be able to give it to them.

Possibly they'll end up taking a complete bath with how poorly managed CIG is. Scam could keep going ten more years, but if next year they suddenly decleared bankrupcy out of nowhere would be utterly unsuprised.

Not really. In fact CIG would always boast of not being dependant on investors or publishers. Unless, that is, the Calders invested 46m in 2018 (plus 17m again in 2020). And even then CIG claimed that money was just reserved for marketing related to the launch of SQ42.

That was well known, but for the most part, backers believed that the shares the Calders got were like the regular ones where the only possible return is on appreciation of share price (and perhaps some dividends here or there). What most backers probably would not be expecting is that the share purchase was also tied to a buy back option that made it work like a loan. A loan that by CIG´s own estimates in the UK report means they owe the Calders around 120m+, and due in Q1 2025 or 2028.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 17, 2024

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
What's going to happen when they can't pay it back? CIG is sold off?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

TuxedoOrca posted:

Chris writes a long winded Letter From The Chairman about how everyone failed him and technology couldn't measure up to his vision, plus a few pithy quotes from FDR sprinkled in there before he and the rest of the executive gang sail off into the horizon.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Sounds about right, yeah.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

TuxedoOrca posted:

Note 28 in the UK filing, written by CIG, suggests that CIG thinks the Calders may only get returns from excess cash over that required to run operations. Who defines that etc? But it is precisely to the terms of the agreement that the auditors say CIG has not allowed them to see... Huge red flag. I suspect the terms give the Calders much more leverage in deciding what happens if CIG does not pay.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 17, 2024

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

TuxedoOrca posted:

Calders get a space door and a desk that look like an airplane wing

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Calders finding out star citizen is actually pay to win

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
The UK group did have nearly £20m in cash, so if they could save up another £10m they could have enough to cover like half the put options maybe. Their blog says overall they had $64m net position in 2022 so if the revenues keep rising and they cut costs, they have a very good chance at paying back like $80m in 2025 and only needing another $80m + interest after that.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

How much is that investment relative to the amount that they are spending on that lease?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Chris will just pay the Calders off with thousands of Idris jpegs.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
I suppose they were only spending £3.3m on the lease in 2022 and it went up to £6.7m per year in 2023 so that won't help cut costs.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

shrach posted:

I suppose they were only spending £3.3m on the lease in 2022 and it went up to £6.7m per year in 2023 so that won't help cut costs.

exactly chris can't help but spend spend spend it seems

imagine if they had just had 1 office and never expanded to multiple countries

imagine

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Imagine if they didn’t have a barista

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Looking forward to Crobberts explaining the faithful that 120m+ of their money will not go into development but to the Calders big fat payoff.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

It’s only fair the marketing for SQ42 was stellar

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

swamp thong posted:

I think one of my new favorite things is how, even though Star Citizen provides so many examples of how dumb people can be with money, backers still think the Calders wouldn't have invested so much money in CIG if they didn't know it was going to pay off. Like somehow the spectrum of "my fiancee left me and I may be homeless because I am addicted to buying spaceship .jpgs, please help me understand why?" through "oh but I am merely disposing of my disposable income, my jpg fleet is no different than if I bought a car or went on a vacation (except that the latter two would have actual value)" is unique to poor nerds?

The Calders took a punt with some "disposable" millions on an idiot investment, and then threw good money after bad, and now they've got something that they could theoretically get hundreds of millions from but realistically won't be able to get even half of if they tried. The real difference is that, being rich, they can probably get some kind of moderately worthwhile tax break from losing all of that (purely theoretical, given CIG's inability to pay) money, and go on being rich and making similarly dumb investments later on.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Worf posted:

Imagine if they didn’t have a barista

Or a Head of Barista™

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

MedicineHut posted:

Looking forward to Crobberts explaining the faithful that 120m+ of their money will not go into development but to the Calders big fat payoff.

They'll just spend $120m more on JPGs to save Crobear and really show those investors!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It's sorta funny they were getting outside investors in 2018. Like how much money had they already gotten at that point? Also at that point realistically they must know even by 2028 it isn't going to be "complete". So it's not like it's even adding money to the production budget, just shifting around when they have it and ending up overall with quite a bit less.

Just completly rubbish managment.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
You have to remember they were trying to Brewster's millions the budget.

If you look at 2017 they spent $5m more than they received. Then in 2018 they had "net funds" of $53m at the year end, in the year they received that $46m investment. But this was the year end. I forget that they were/are actually kind of seasonal. Their year end matches the calendar year end and they receive a lot more of their funds towards the end of the year. So in the middle they needed loans to bridge the gap. Also, consider that the tax credits (in 2018 these were nearly $8m were not received in 2018. In fact they have been two years behind at times in actually receiving the credit.

So if you take the 2018 net figure of $53m and subtract $46m funding, say $12m for tax credits, deduct another $10m due to the fairly even yearly distribution of costs but year end skewed revenue, they would probably have needed something in the region of $15m in bridging loads in the middle of 2018 without the investment.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

thats cool that the load tunnel has a clitoral hood

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Worf posted:

thats cool that the load tunnel has a clitoral hood

Not that anyone who plays Star Citizen would know this...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Not that anyone who plays Star Citizen would know this...

"a feature unlike anything we've ever seen or experienced 10/10 loading tunnel"

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

:boom:

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

All those hundreds of millions of dollars and twelve years of work was worth it though, Crobberts has finally invented a way to disguise a loading screen.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
It really is impressive how long it is taking them to implement something that was in the 1.0 of Eve Online.