Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Medullah posted:

Reminds me of the Fascinating Horror Youtube channel. Lots of real life poo poo that's scarier than anything a movie can come up with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPaBRegvkuQ
for a long time there was a website run by locals called justjumpalready.com chronicling the assholes who tried to kill themselves off the SSC which inevitably caused the only way in or out of Bradenton to be shut down for two hours at a pop.

Morbid but as a Florida native whose had to drive to Sarasota before-, I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What the hell happened to that goon and watching Return of the Living Dead.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

some say hes still watching to this very day

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

For more traditional horror regarding bridges, nearby me is a famous bridge that's supposedly haunted and possesses dogs to throw themselves to their death off it.

(The actual reasoning that everyone already pretty much knows but doesn't drive quite so many horror youtubers to come this far is that it's just a bridge over a very deep ravine that also has a lot of little critters living in it that dogs like to chase.)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

For more traditional horror regarding bridges, nearby me is a famous bridge that's supposedly haunted and possesses dogs to throw themselves to their death off it.

(The actual reasoning that everyone already pretty much knows but doesn't drive quite so many horror youtubers to come this far is that it's just a bridge over a very deep ravine that also has a lot of little critters living in it that dogs like to chase.)

Ah a bridge haunted by goons.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
On one hand this is very sad, on the other hand, it is also a wee bit comical.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Chesapeake Bay Bridge at night while it was raining

Guard rails used to be so low it felt that you could fly off the side into the ocean and never be heard from again

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Medullah posted:

Reminds me of the Fascinating Horror Youtube channel. Lots of real life poo poo that's scarier than anything a movie can come up with.

That channel's a good one. He covers a wide range of incidents.

And as far as scary bridges go, only one I was fairly tense on was during a road trip with a friend and we were I can't remember where in rural Illinois where we had to go over this wooden bridge that dated back to the New France days. There was signage up stating this historical bridge was still in use and you could drive over it. It was so narrow I probably could've stuck my arm out the window and touch the railing. I was so sure with each creak and groan that it was going to collapse.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Hollismason posted:

What the hell happened to that goon and watching Return of the Living Dead.

“I don’t have to tell you anything, dick-brain!”

Seriously I have a lot to say about this flick, all good, but not tonight.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ok, I changed my mind.

I want to say, first of all, this was legit one of the funniest films I’ve ever seen. And I’ve watched it close to four times since I last posted here.

It is absolutely loving insane all the different directions this film goes.

And then, around every corner, in every next scene, is something even more ridiculous.

I’ve never seen anything that manages to skirt between tongue-in-cheek and “this is serious!” so well.

quote:

Archimedes.

Hot Dog.

Rhubarb.

Niner. Zero. Niner. Gotcha, sir!

The double face-slap of the black man with the horrible wig

The dude incinerating himself

The first shot of the punks, where three of them are wearing outfits that would look okay on the cover of a new wave album, one is dressed to go to a cocktail party in 1967, and then the dude carrying the boombox is wearing a loving suit.

Just LMAO

I don’t say these things to make fun of it… rather, they all work in favor of it. And it just gets better and better and better.

So basically this ended up being true:

Kvlt! posted:

some say hes still watching to this very day

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Opopanax posted:

I hate bridges, there are some ridiculously tall ones in Vancouver I have to do once in a while and one of the big reasons I hate driving over there.
That one isn't super high at least, but knowing how the infrastructure is in the Midwest I wouldn't want to use it

Yeah, the only thing scary about that video is how poo poo American civil engineering is.

Here's a video of someone driving across the original Forth Road Bridge in 2015, not long before it closed. No sound unfortunately, so you can't hear the regular bumps as your car goes over the connected sections of road surface, but the view's good enough and the video was made in bad weather so this is as bad as it gets. This bridge is five times longer than the Brookport Bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qB7gwoigek

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Tourist Trap remake produced by Barbara Crampton https://twitter.com/FreddyInSpace/status/1769168112459391420

quote:

Alliance Media Partners has acquired the rights to Tourist Trap, and Crampton, the company’s Vice President of Production & Development, will be producing the new take on the classic.

...Horror films under the Alliance Media Partners label include Old Man, The Seed, The Wretched, Jakob’s Wife, Amulet, The Endless, The Pale Door, and last year’s Suitable Flesh.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Absolutely gently caress that bridge.

The new one is the only good thing named “Cuomo”.

I still call it Tappan Zee gently caress that noise.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

MrMojok posted:

Ok, I changed my mind.

I want to say, first of all, this was legit one of the funniest films I’ve ever seen. And I’ve watched it close to four times since I last posted here.

It is absolutely loving insane all the different directions this film goes.

And then, around every corner, in every next scene, is something even more ridiculous.

I’ve never seen anything that manages to skirt between tongue-in-cheek and “this is serious!” so well.

The double face-slap of the black man with the horrible wig

The dude incinerating himself

The first shot of the punks, where three of them are wearing outfits that would look okay on the cover of a new wave album, one is dressed to go to a cocktail party in 1967, and then the dude carrying the boombox is wearing a loving suit.

Just LMAO

I don’t say these things to make fun of it… rather, they all work in favor of it. And it just gets better and better and better.

So basically this ended up being true:

https://youtu.be/M0GbMJe2wC0?si=2wdyTa6ykftfKY_9

Still gets me everytime :lol:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I still call it Tappan Zee gently caress that noise.

Of course. I’m not gonna say that name if I can help it.

Plus it continues the proud tradition of locals giving directions in terms of what things used to be called, which is delightfully confusing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

STAC Goat posted:

The old Tappan Zee Bridge in NY was super long and super low to the water. So god help you if you drove it in the rain and wind. The whole thing would sway and water would lap over the sides. Easily some of the scariest experiences of my life.

Fond memories of driving over that thing. Insane it was in operation as long as it was.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
before the bridge chat ends, i wanna say i'm scared of the big bridge in astoria. thank you.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
What a worthless post this is going to be, but I know there's an older movie out there about a team trying to transport dynamite or something? Anyway supposedly there's a bridge scene that is super intense. I put this movie on my "watch some day" list but forgot the title

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

WHY BONER NOW posted:

What a worthless post this is going to be, but I know there's an older movie out there about a team trying to transport dynamite or something? Anyway supposedly there's a bridge scene that is super intense. I put this movie on my "watch some day" list but forgot the title

Sorcerer

And yeah the bridge scene is incredibly good

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Thanks! Going to write it down this time

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

Plus it continues the proud tradition of locals giving directions in terms of what things used to be called, which is delightfully confusing.

Absolutely the correct thing to do when some oil company or housing baron rolls up with a briefcase of cash and slaps their name on a local landmark, and I wish people here were stronger about it

Repsol Centre? gently caress you, that's the Family Leisure Centre, it's for families and leisure, not Repsols.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also the way some of you were talking I thought that first bridge was gonna be Tacoma Narrows, aka the bridge every engineering student on the continent is on a first name basis with

(that one collapsed in 1940)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We need more mothman movies

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

WHY BONER NOW posted:

LE SALARIE DE LA PUER (1953)

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Phy posted:

Also the way some of you were talking I thought that first bridge was gonna be Tacoma Narrows, aka the bridge every engineering student on the continent is on a first name basis with

(that one collapsed in 1940)

I want to see a movie that starts with the MC on the Tecoma Narrows and ends with DB Cooper.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Spent the day productively watching Leviathan and Deep Star Six. Love me some underwater horror movies. I do like that Deep Star Six has a very cool rapid decompression scene.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Sorcerer

And yeah the bridge scene is incredibly good

Yeah the bridge scene is arguably the greatest action scene in movie history.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SORCERER rocks, roy scheider's finest hour

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The original version, Wages Of Fear, is nothing to sleep on either.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Between The Exorcist and Sorceror, I feel like everyone needs to be talking way more often about how good a director William Friedkin is.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Between The Exorcist and Sorceror, I feel like everyone needs to be talking way more often about how good a director William Friedkin is.

He was great and I actually met him at a screening of Sorcerer ten years ago, he complained about how kids these days (2014) don't understand how to make a film like this because they're all too busy with cellphones. Peak Grandpa

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

also worth checking out the lil Friedkin drama BUG, with michael shannon and ashley judd. fantastic little paranoid drama

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

He was great and I actually met him at a screening of Sorcerer ten years ago, he complained about how kids these days (2014) don't understand how to make a film like this because they're all too busy with cellphones. Peak Grandpa

I mean in fairness nobody has made a movie like that recently

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MrMojok posted:

It's absurd how funny the film is and how absolutely bleak it is at the same time. The pair slowly falling to zombie infection, the punk getting his brain eaten, Linnea Quigley getting swarmed, the cops constantly getting swarmed, the pair getting trapped in the attic and most likely killing themselves before the nuke drops, the nuke dropping. It's just absolutely brutal and no one wins even though it's a comedy.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I have watched the “SEND. MORE. PARAMEDICS” scene at least fifty times and I still snort-laughed remembering it just now.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The scene with the woman zombie explaining why zombies eat brains is honestly the scariest thing I've ever seen in a horror movie. It unsettles me on the deepest level. It's all so good.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The scene with the woman zombie explaining why zombies eat brains is honestly the scariest thing I've ever seen in a horror movie. It unsettles me on the deepest level. It's all so good.

It's so good

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Big fan of the bisected animals that come to life, it's a terrifying thought done as a gag

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s funny how pathetic it is lol

Bork Bork Bork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It really is ridiculous how loving good Return of the Living Dead is but my favorite gag is the butterflies that come to life.