Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

i am harry posted:

first year classes for animation and illustration majors were all things like history, english, math, and especially a math I had taken and hated.
a strong southern drawl at the end of a phone call confirmed that, “we like to make sure all our students graduate with a nice well rounded education.”
so I withdrew and didn’t go at all.

Of course there were breadth requirements. Manners maketh man. Higher education isn’t about jobs training, it’s about producing people who are familiar with the arts and sciences, and have the tools to apply knowledgeship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I went to a concert the other night and every single band was begging the audience to buy T-shirts and merch. I know the venue situation has been dire for a bit, but I've really started to notice bands pushing their merch more and more and I'm wondering if the cuts are just getting more brutal or people don't have the money to spend on a $30 tee. It seems like the bedrock of being any sort of social influencer is being a T-shirt salesman.

on rock/metal news websites there are a bunch of articles quoting musicians in Europe and America talking about the costs of touring now. here are some articles from the past year. you’ll have to excuse blabbermouth’s wordy as hell articles

https://blabbermouth.net/news/megad...st-to-sit-still

https://blabbermouth.net/news/udo-dirkschneider-on-increased-cost-of-post-pandemic-touring-prices-are-exploding-at-the-moment

https://metalinjection.net/news/dez-fafara-talks-cost-of-touring-how-fans-are-getting-screwed

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Of course there were breadth requirements. Manners maketh man. Higher education isn’t about jobs training, it’s about producing people who are familiar with the arts and sciences, and have the tools to apply knowledgeship.

lmao not anymore

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

yeah i read that in the brochure too

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

SKULL.GIF posted:

What year did the pandemic begin in America?

e gently caress!!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/billmaher/status/1768842554991386706

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
the worst economy of your life so far

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

gradenko_2000 posted:

If it's not iodized salt then it isn't addressing the issue.

Yeah people are really missing the forest for the trees here

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

loving liberals...

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

99.6% of "poor" households have a refrigerator

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Mike the TV posted:

99.6% of "poor" households have a refrigerator

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

the covid era was a reminder that a better world is possible, our lives can be made better, safer, more secure. but they choose not to

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

all they got is “look at the other guy” blackmail

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
bill mahers dick still works cause he doesn't take antidepressants and does mad exercise and vegetables. its time to make american dicks work again

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

very inspiring election message, keep going full steam ahead until november!!

RealityWarCriminal posted:

the covid era was a reminder that a better world is possible, our lives can be made better, safer, more secure. but they choose not to

yep! and the voters lived it, they felt it, and they understand the difference between then and now. all the libsplaining in the world won't make a difference.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Yeah the point of college is to make well rounded citizens, but I think OP was complaining about having to redo all the classes they already did in senior year of high school, not having to do non-jobs training classes at all.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Some people like to add their own iodine to the salt s

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

witholding my vote in the hope trump send this dude to a work camp

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

goiters gonna be a new fashion statement

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

thank you joe for cheap tvs built overseas :pray: namaste

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

not gonna lie if trump considers putting these losers in gulags i might just consider voting for him

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

HallelujahLee posted:

not gonna lie if trump considers putting these losers in gulags i might just consider voting for him

This is probably how Trump won every voter he has, the only thing that changes is who they want gulaged

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

This is probably how Trump won every voter he has, the only thing that changes is who they want gulaged

well yeah and sometimes saying stuff like facebook is the enemy of the people (true)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

Oh yeah, I knew that makes a significant amount of money for them, but I've been going to concerts for the last 25 years and have never seen bands actively pushing their merch on stage this much until the last few post-covid years. Maybe its just more socially acceptable now to promote your stuff now in general.

Less people are going to concerts because there are no post covid years so they gotta sell to a higher percentage of people.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
The cost of touring itself is up by a factor of like 5. To rent tourists, pay crew, etc.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Taylor swift has no problems touring i don’t see why everyone else is having issues

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Ardennes posted:

200k in NYC is 130k take home, a 2 bedroom in Manhattan is 5k-6k on average; lets say 6k because you want a nice place to show off.

So that is 72k a year for your apartment, probably another 7k-8k at least for utilities, apartment insurance, building expenses, so that is 80k. You need to eat and go out etc plus other expenses, so lets say at least 3k, a month or 36k. That isn't even getting into other random mandatory costs. Also, you can't take the subway, so add in Ubers everywhere unless you want to pay for a space and everything else.

You could always cut further, but it just takes money to live there if you want a middle class (ish) lifestyle.

I showed that tweet to a friend who lives in nyc and his analysis was that was just a dumbo trying to live in the heart of Manhattan. He rents a 2 bedroom with his partner for 2400/mo, split (so they're each paying 1200/mo) and is purportedly a 15 minute subway ride from Manhattan. No cars but they don't really need to uber everywhere because there are a decent amount of public options, I dunno a lot of things on that list were dumb. He found it particularly aggrevating because his friends/family not from the area constantly give him poo poo about living in a super expensive place using dumb articles/tweets like that when the reality is there are a lot of people making far less than that, that do get by. It just doesn't include stuff like budgeting 10k for travel annually while telling people you're barely scraping by.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

which is hilarious because I went back to England and tried art college there and they were getting the titties and dicks out for life drawing on the first day. I never uttered the word “math” once and a bachelor degree took three years instead of four

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Usually it’s the engineers bitching about having to take gen ed classes.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

are you defending paying 30k for a second senior year of high school?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

there was a goon itt last year who posted about cashing out from his bigtime tech jobs, living with his wife in a cabin and getting off medications. i think about that a lot sometimes when i think about antidepressants.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I read about how farmed salmon are depressed and suicidal, refuse to swim or eat, and I think most of us might be in a salmon farm, so to speak.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Manners maketh man.

gently caress no

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well tben I hope I make a healthy meal full of Omega3s when I reach the end of my working life.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

i am harry posted:

I read about how farmed salmon are depressed and suicidal, refuse to swim or eat, and I think most of us might be in a salmon farm, so to speak.

WFH made me so much happier it was absurd

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

i am harry posted:

https://twitter.com/sighyam/status/1768599297572934077?t=vNis8-Ixh4T_Df5rsSWSRw&s=19

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

i am harry posted:

which is hilarious because I went back to England and tried art college there and they were getting the titties and dicks out for life drawing on the first day. I never uttered the word “math” once and a bachelor degree took three years instead of four

but how many times did you say "maths"?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

i am harry posted:

just eat a more varied diet and you’ll be fine god drat idiots

Literally everyone should be eating a fiber supplement like psyllium husk.

I will die on this hill. Please take psyillium husk, everyone

Fiber that isn't digested by your stomach goes on to nourish gut bacteria. Seriously, go start taking psyllium husk and then PM me in 3 months when your life noticeably improves.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

Fiber that isn't digested by your stomach goes on to nourish gut bacteria. Seriously, go start taking psyllium husk and then PM me in 3 months when your life noticeably improves.

take it every morning, it rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Taima posted:

Psyllium husk makes your gut bacteria depressed and suicidal and they will refuse to swim or eat, no thanks.