Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will FFVIIRemake part 3 be called?
This poll is closed.
Return 9 9.38%
Revolutions 7 7.29%
Rescind 1 1.04%
Rental property 23 23.96%
Restoration 3 3.13%
Rebar 14 14.58%
Renegade 3 3.13%
Red XIII's party hour 36 37.50%
Total: 96 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

haveblue posted:

Dark matter and dark energy were made to be junked, they exist as a proxy for the discrepancies between theory and observation and our inability to observe 100% of the universe. As we understand more, the two converge, and the dark categories will get gradually squeezed out as more matter and energy are accounted for

Like, the pioneer anomaly was theorized to be all kinds of things but it was never more specific than “the thing that’s making the probe do that” for the entire process until someone explained the observations and now there is no anomaly, just previous underinformed calculations

well, something that we can't see collided in the bullet cluster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

2024 lookin good for games I'm playing. Helldivers 2 + Balatro are both easily in my Top 10 for GOTY this year.

Just grabbed Phantom Liberty so I can finally start playing Cyberpunk, also snagged Disco Elysium, Sniper Elite 4, and the Metro series during the steam sale.
Can't decide which one to start first, but might kick things off with Sniper Elite + Metro 2033 Redux

If I just went straight to Metro Exodus, am I missing anything?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Found the GOTY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovC4f3ioIJU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Vermain posted:

i'm basically always skeptical of new theories that claim to junk dark matter entirely, and tired light is, at best, a fringe astrophysical theory that lacks support from observational evidence

It’s enough to create an entire sub genre of sci-fi novels, movies, anime and video games

Someone wrote up a paper saying maybe tachyons exist and then we got Timescape saying future humans can send messages to the past using tachyons, and then we got Prince of Darkness, Star Trek incorporating it into their lore, All You Need Is Kill and Edge of Tomorrow

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

homeless snail posted:

personally I think mage and sorcerer in DD is boring bullshit. DD has really good combat but magic classes don't get to participate in it, it's mostly just holding down a button until you can see the animation. currently setting up a magic archer and doing the awful slog of getting the mage and sorcerer damage augments and it's kinda miserable

here's the secret no one tells you. making your pawn a sorcerer is just as good because you still get to see the animations but also get to actually play the game

my take on it is that it's really cool to just click a single button to kill everything. i feel very powerful. i am also very lazy. it's great.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Infinitum posted:

If I just went straight to Metro Exodus, am I missing anything?

I would say yes you'd be missing a significant chunk and should play all three games. Ultimately the trilogy is a journey for the protagonist Artyom. All three games are worth playing, and are satisfying as well. It'll also give you an appreciation for the polish that went into Exodus, I was genuinely very impressed by it compared to the first two games, and the first two aren't bad by any measure.

Exodus though is seriously one of my favorite games of all time, and certainly my favorite story based FPS.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
all three metro games are fairly different stylistically so you'll be getting a unique experience from each

i didn't feel as positively about exodus as some people here though, mainly due to artyom being one of the worst-implemented silent protagonists i've ever dealt with. guy makes gordon freeman seem downright gregarious

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Help Im Alive posted:

I think almost every single terrible free to play MMO I played in 2003-2008 are all still alive somehow
The secret to a long-running MMO is to not close it down after a couple years.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkUozNf_1UQ&hd=1&t=357s

I enjoy watching vinny lose his mind in abridged form

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Metro Exodus has the most insane hand-holding, terrible script and rubbish voice acting I've encountered in forever. The game treats you like an absolute idiot so I just gave up after a few hours. Great graphics and interesting world though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Having a hell of a time trying to get Metro 2033 Redux to run in 4k
It's almost there with .cfg fiddling, but it just doesn't wanna go fullscreen/bordlerless properly

If Last Light is the same deal I may be straight onto Exodus.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

IGN grabbin em by both cheeks, ramming their head in, and just absolutely huffing those PR farts as hard as they can

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Infinitum posted:

IGN grabbin em by both cheeks, ramming their head in, and just absolutely huffing those PR farts as hard as they can

No thanks, I'll keep playing the massive amount of indie games that are good but financial failures or were only popular in china or made for the love of the game

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
After playing Sleeping Dogs, I can't really return to GTA.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

fez_machine posted:

No thanks, I'll keep playing the massive amount of indie games that are good but financial failures or were only popular in china or made for the love of the game

I'll probably play it and ignore most of those indie games

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Infinitum posted:

A game with an astronomical budget and almost impossible sales expectations being released in a time when the industry is suffering from a lot of high profile failures and job security is at a near all-time low?

Sounds good to me!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

VI is going to be a massive success. There is no scenario where it isn't

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Rockstar needs to hire every dev who got laid off over the past couple years, it's only fair.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They do that and they'll have half the team they need for Red Dead 3

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

monkey paw: they all get hired to work on horse testicles

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
GTA as a series is too baked into public consciousness and beloved by the press for it to fail, but the sheer amount of money it's costing to make and the time left until release could still make it less successful than they hope. They might only make a few billion instead of all of them.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

VI is going to be a massive success. There is no scenario where it isn't

Really just seems like the safest bet imaginable. It'll sell big at launch and for many years to come too.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's a good thing too because it quarantines all the GTA type players from other games. Without GTA these people would be leaking into other online games causing mayhem, just stealing from your team without contributing, even doing TKs.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oxxidation posted:

all three metro games are fairly different stylistically so you'll be getting a unique experience from each

i didn't feel as positively about exodus as some people here though, mainly due to artyom being one of the worst-implemented silent protagonists i've ever dealt with. guy makes gordon freeman seem downright gregarious

I don't like the term "cargo cult" but the fact that he's voiced in intros feels like a product of the period where scripted shooters were still being done in the half-life mold even when, like Metro, they were trying to tell stories unsuited for that. It's fine in 2033 but by the time you hit them trying to put actual romance into the games, it becomes silly.

Good games, though.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Some days I feel like Artyom is a major reason why I dislike silent protagonists.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Infinitum posted:

lol i'm excited for GTA6, like beyond hyped, it looks amazing but its just another video game. We gotta stop propping these huge budget games up into being something other then what they are; dumb entertainment. Games aren't art, they don't matter, all of this will go away eventually.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I said come in! posted:

lol i'm excited for GTA6, like beyond hyped, it looks amazing but its just another video game. We gotta stop propping these huge budget games up into being something other then what they are; dumb entertainment. Games aren't art, they don't matter, all of this will go away eventually.

That's right, and that's why it's ok to use ai art in them

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Video games are art. They have been ever since Bioshock Infinite.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Who are you arguing with?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I said come in! posted:

Baba is You is art

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Muscle Tracer posted:

Baba is You is art

okay fair i'll give you that one

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Portal 2 is art. It is the only game I recognize as art.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Don't think video games are art? You, my friend, should consider: turning on your monitor so you no longer are staring at your own reflection in the screen, gamer.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Muscle Tracer posted:

Baba is You is art

Baba is You
is
Art

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

A lot of videogames are "products," but that is not always the case. Some other games that are art:
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Hyper Light Drifter
Fallout 1 & 2
Duskers
User Inyerface
The Stanley Parable
a good chunk of Control

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Muscle Tracer posted:

A lot of videogames are "products," but that is not always the case. Some other games that are art:
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Hyper Light Drifter
Fallout 1 & 2
Duskers
User Inyerface
The Stanley Parable
a good chunk of Control

None of these games are art, didn't you see I said come in!'s post? I thought we established this.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Art is the result of an attempt at self-expression. Products are the result of company want to make money. Sometimes those things overlap

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TuxedoOrca posted:

Portal 2 is art. It is the only game I recognize as art.

Requires a Baba is You crossover first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Games are fart