Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/katalin_pota/status/1769362497142722589?t=onCc9Pby_6UmRfusKaGfVw&s=19

Was really hoping for Rodgers (because I hate the Jets and it'd be funny). Who is this again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Like, if you are rich an influential enough I think you can pay to have your information “obscured” on google.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/katalin_pota/status/1769362497142722589?t=onCc9Pby_6UmRfusKaGfVw&s=19

Was really hoping for Rodgers (because I hate the Jets and it'd be funny). Who is this again

Ex-wife of Sergey Brin (from Google) and supposedly the person that bankrolled RFK Jr's Super Bowl ad.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Best Friends posted:

my local library set up a “nevertheless, she persisted” rbg shrine for women’s history month.

Should have added a little card that read:

with her discriminatory hiring practices.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Best Friends posted:

my local library set up a “nevertheless, she persisted” rbg shrine for women’s history month.

My local CBS station that I watch jeopardy on is still airing black history month PSAs sponsored by Toyota lol

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

She persisted well past retirement age because she cared about her career much much more than she cared about any of her supposed liberal ideals. And liberals like that! They think that’s heroic. the beating heart of liberalism now is the worship of the careers of powerful people.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Best Friends posted:

They know that quote isn't about her right

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Best Friends posted:

She persisted well past retirement age because she cared about her career much much more than she cared about any of her supposed liberal ideals. And liberals like that! They think that’s heroic. the beating heart of liberalism now is the worship of the careers of powerful people.

This was making a stand for, I dunno, women having careers or something, so it's ok and actually more principled than retiring at the right time would have been

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Best Friends posted:

"now"

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

My AP History class was the football coach rattling things off from the textbook with absolute zero discussion of it. Really embarrassing in hindsight, but that's American education for you.

My AP history class was taught by an alcoholic who kept his head down and read facts & dates off of hand-scribbled notes and expected us to memorize them. He disappeared about three weeks into the class and was replaced by an incredibly ancient substitute teacher who just had us watch history-themed movies for the rest of the year. Oddly enough, that was an improvement in the quality of the class.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

*faaaaaaaart*

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

sullat posted:

My AP history class was taught by an alcoholic who kept his head down and read facts & dates off of hand-scribbled notes and expected us to memorize them. He disappeared about three weeks into the class and was replaced by an incredibly ancient substitute teacher who just had us watch history-themed movies for the rest of the year. Oddly enough, that was an improvement in the quality of the class.

Yeah education quality in the states is extremely variable, even with individual school districts, just because we tie so much funding to things like property taxes which creates a feedback loop of poor schools with poor performance getting less money, which prevents the folks who grow up there from succeeding broadly or performing better.

My history education in high school was pretty decent. Pretty rote stuff with a liberal bent, but yeah good quality with narratives. I do think the date of the Magna Carta signing was stressed oddly, but it was always taught as kind of the first sign of modern "democratic" principles.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
The main thing I remember from the AP history tests was the Document-Based Question, where you were given a bunch different sources writing about a subject and had to cite them in your essay response. In AP US history you were expected to take whatever was said in the sources at face value, and it wasn't until AP Euro that we were expected to acknowledge possible biases in our information.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

My AP US History teacher was like insanely overqualified for her job, constantly had us reading from a wide variety of sources (we got extra credit for reading the Autobiography of Malcolm X and The People's History iirc) and now that I'm a teacher myself I realize just how much work she put into educating a bunch of shithead teenagers. Pretty cool

e: This was also around 08/09 so I was reading LF at the same time as I was learning this stuff so I was fasttracked in my radicalization

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Jen heir rick posted:

The enslavement of the goblin things is basically treated as a joke. Like, Hermione tries to raise awareness of the goblins plight, and everyone just kinda laughs it off. "That's Hermione for you, her and her crazy ideas".

no, you’ve got it mixed up. the house elves are the slaves, the goblins are the race of scheming hook-nosed moneylenders.

Strangelet Wave has issued a correction as of 17:01 on Mar 17, 2024

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The one year of high school i did in the US as an exchange student my history teacher was the football coach, assignments were things like "list the most advanced weapon the US used in each war" and when we got to WW2 he took out the world map and to emphasize how big a deal germany was he said "look at this map, now take away the oceans and the uncivilized parts of the world (while hand waving at Latin America, Africa and Asia), see how much of the civilized world Germany had conquered." Looking at me directly, too.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Horseshoe theory posted:

Ex-wife of Sergey Brin (from Google) and supposedly the person that bankrolled RFK Jr's Super Bowl ad.

she reached the "become my vp" patreon tier

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1768964415137652960

the group in question is the UNRWA

and like, good for her. She's doing more for Palestine than her mom's administration

Genuinely very cool, the best politikid in a long time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FistEnergy posted:

*faaaaaaaart*

Why do you hate women

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Strangelet Wave posted:

no, you’ve got it mixed up. the house elves are the slaves, the goblins are the race of scheming hook-nosed moneylenders.

Who have a Star of David tile pattern on the floor of their greed bank

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!
oh my god lol

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

bobtheconqueror posted:

Yeah education quality in the states is extremely variable, even with individual school districts, just because we tie so much funding to things like property taxes which creates a feedback loop of poor schools with poor performance getting less money, which prevents the folks who grow up there from succeeding broadly or performing better.

My history education in high school was pretty decent. Pretty rote stuff with a liberal bent, but yeah good quality with narratives. I do think the date of the Magna Carta signing was stressed oddly, but it was always taught as kind of the first sign of modern "democratic" principles.

It's funny, too, I went to a 'good' high school in a fairly prosperous district so our high school was fairly well funded. Just got a teacher who was a bit of a dud. We had a second high school in our district which was where all the 'troublemakers' and pregnant teens and special needs kids would get sent to, which I thought was weird at the time, but now realize was probably a way to segregate the school system so that the 'good' high school would get good stats and we can just ignore the 'bad' high school.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

sullat posted:

It's funny, too, I went to a 'good' high school in a fairly prosperous district so our high school was fairly well funded. Just got a teacher who was a bit of a dud. We had a second high school in our district which was where all the 'troublemakers' and pregnant teens and special needs kids would get sent to, which I thought was weird at the time, but now realize was probably a way to segregate the school system so that the 'good' high school would get good stats and we can just ignore the 'bad' high school.

that was how No Child Left Behind worked, if your school is bad they take funding away. that way the bad schools have an incentive to become good schools

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

No, you don't get it, that floor wasn't designed for the movie, the building where that scene was shot coincidentally already had that floor there!!! That means that rather than personally designing a star of David motif for this scene, she just greenlit the scene being shot there and the floor being showcased on camera. Which means it doesn't count qed

(the actual line JKR apologists will quote to you if you mention this to them lol)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Strangelet Wave posted:

that was how No Child Left Behind worked, if your school is bad they take funding away. that way the bad schools have an incentive to become good schools

Capitalism

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

sullat posted:

Was this in Kansas by chance

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The date of the signing of the Magna Carta is important to remember so you can prevent your brother from doing any kind of legal chicanery.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Strangelet Wave posted:

Reminder Liz Warren wanted to do this to hospitals

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Somehow I managed to miss the Harry Potter craze except for like my senior year where instead of the anime kids getting the band director to let us play Tank! we had the Potter kids pressure him to do an orchestral arrangement from the first movie. I think being forced to read lovely YA novels as part of the summer reading requirements just turned me off to books with child/teen protagonists entirely

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Part of growing up imo

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

mags posted:

animal farm is so ambiguous the propaganda comes from the libs that teach it as anticommunist more than the text itself, which fails to take a clear ideological stand. one could claim it’s about any ism you want

Yeah my reading was always “movement elites will sell you out, unchecked systems lead to tyranny” instead of “communism bad”

Slot someone like AOC into Animal Farm and it fits perfectly.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

loquacius posted:

rich people are stupid man

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Nonsense posted:

rich people are stupid man

yup, this is going to tank his campaign. it was a good run tho.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the road to wigan pier and down and out in Paris and London are legitimately good journalism. too bad about the other stuff

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!
Liberals are now mad at Trump because he's funny.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/03/17/how-donald-trump-uses-humor-to-make-the-outrageous-sound-normal-00146119

Laughing about democrats' Wily E. Coyote-like attempts to indict you is now "destabilizing" and "dangerous" say the people who hate Trump so much that they hang on to his every utterance.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/03/17/how-donald-trump-uses-humor-to-make-the-outrageous-sound-normal-00146119

Laughing about democrats' Wily E. Coyote-like attempts to indict you is now "destabilizing" and "dangerous" say the people who hate Trump so much that they hang on to his every utterance.

quote:

experts in rhetoric and nationalist and populist movements and leaders

Experts in stockpiling hammers explain that everything is a nail

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

weird lines

quote:

I needed to talk to the ululating woman. She was Black and had on her head a red MAGA hat.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

gradenko_2000 posted:

A particular trend I've noticed is that search functions, not just internet search engines, seem to be less and less able to do exact searches.

I can put a phrase in quotation marks and it'll disregard that and only give me results with just one of the words, or the words apart, or synonyms.
Gonna break my fun posting persona for a second because every "algorithm" is flawed from first principles due to the techbros that designed them literally not understanding basic cause and effect

EVERYTHING on the internet that is monetized, in any way, begins from the following principles:
• [USER TYPE] does nothing but consume content and buy whatever we sell them
• If we push the things [USER TYPE] likes to everyone, everyone will become [USER TYPE]

...that's it, literally it is that simple, the entire monetized internet is broken on such a fundamental level that no amount of "tweaking the algorithm" can ever fix.

"But AmiYumi," you might ask, "even if we bombard an 11 year old with ads until they take up stamp collecting, how would that give them the spending power of a rich Boomer who alienated all their children and has nothing but stamp collecting to spend their retirement savings on?"

To which I respond, "Congratulations! You are smarter than every Business major and computer toucher in Silicon Valley!"
:capitalism:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
this tweet feels... off, somehow

https://twitter.com/AmoneyResists/status/1769281840198697434?t=__LBzxjzAhDPj6q_I8OjOg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Glenn is actually quite good at arguing in a context like this. Just directly sticks to his point and explains it.

It's also amazing that anyone could tolerate dealing with Destiny for more than a couple minutes. Jesus that guy is profoundly obnoxious. Sounds like someone applied half of a chipmunks-style voice filter to him.