Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will FFVIIRemake part 3 be called?
This poll is closed.
Return 9 9.38%
Revolutions 7 7.29%
Rescind 1 1.04%
Rental property 23 23.96%
Restoration 3 3.13%
Rebar 14 14.58%
Renegade 3 3.13%
Red XIII's party hour 36 37.50%
Total: 96 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Moreover, any statement "No items in [class A] are part of [class B]" is going to be wrong on its face, there will always be exceptions. Same with "All items in [class A] are part of [class B]." Especially with classes as flexible, nebulous, and debated as "art".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Infinitum posted:

2024 lookin good for games I'm playing. Helldivers 2 + Balatro are both easily in my Top 10 for GOTY this year.

Just grabbed Phantom Liberty so I can finally start playing Cyberpunk, also snagged Disco Elysium, Sniper Elite 4, and the Metro series during the steam sale.
Can't decide which one to start first, but might kick things off with Sniper Elite + Metro 2033 Redux

If I just went straight to Metro Exodus, am I missing anything?

Ya man those 2 came out of nowhere and are really drat good. Also loving Tekken 8 after not playing the series for like 15 years, and FF7 is even better than I was hoping

I didn’t even get around to like baldurs gate yet

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024

I said come in! posted:

Requires a Baba is You crossover first.

Agreed.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

don't think video games are art? then how do you explain this *opens up folder of thousands of eroge CGs*

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It would kinda cool as gently caress to have Portal 3, but with portals and Boba is You like mechanics. But Valve doesn't make 3rd game sequels.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You don't even need art to be art. Dwarf Fortress is in loving MOMA.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Thinking back there are some games that I remember liking when they came out but now I don't care about at all and can't play. At the top of the list is Bioshock.

It started with just the setting not appealing to me as much anymore but then when Bioshock Infinite tied everything together with their last dlc it honestly just made me so apathetic to the entire series.

Yall have any series that aged really poorly for you?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mass effect series, I tried when the legendary edition came out on gamepass but man knowing how it ends sours the whole thing still

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shard posted:

Thinking back there are some games that I remember liking when they came out but now I don't care about at all and can't play. At the top of the list is Bioshock.

It started with just the setting not appealing to me as much anymore but then when Bioshock Infinite tied everything together with their last dlc it honestly just made me so apathetic to the entire series.

Yall have any series that aged really poorly for you?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Mass effect series, I tried when the legendary edition came out on gamepass but man knowing how it ends sours the whole thing still

This was me, and the games just don't play well anymore either. I love the characters, world, and soundtrack, but don't want to return to actually playing them anymore.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i remember when roger ebert wrote an article wherein he compared the act of gameplay to taking a big ol' poo poo on the toilet to explain why he didn't consider games to meaningfully be art

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/actio...m_medium=social

The Battlefront collection stole someone's mod after Aspyr specifically said "no we're not stealing anyone else's code"

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Vermain posted:

i remember when roger ebert wrote an article wherein he compared the act of gameplay to taking a big ol' poo poo on the toilet to explain why he didn't consider games to meaningfully be art

Taking a poo poo on the toilet is art.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
toilets are art

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Yeah, I gotta say Mass Effect as well. I used to be obsessed with it back in the day, but now it just exists.

I think it's less the ending and more that I've since then gone through a lot of sci-fi media and going back to Mass Effect it feels so limited and weirdly constrained.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ironically, Duchamp’s urinal? Not art

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think the point of fountain is that, art is more defined by the framing than the content

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s not the game that is art. It’s the estore

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

TuxedoOrca posted:

Yeah, I gotta say Mass Effect as well. I used to be obsessed with it back in the day, but now it just exists.

I think it's less the ending and more that I've since then gone through a lot of sci-fi media and going back to Mass Effect it feels so limited and weirdly constrained.

You know a lot of games from that time period are hard to go back to because developers got this idea that I didn't want to play a game and they put as much poo poo as they could to get between me staying the game and actual gameplay

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there was that entire era of mascot platformers where like, their idea was that they had to put in as many minigames, and gimmick stages as possible because they ran out of ideas for platform levels

ok this is mainly Spyro 3 and at least one Crash game

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Spyro and Crash 2 had both already started the mini game train rolling. Jak and Ratchet also are pretty like that but the mini games are better integrated with the core gameplay. Spyro 3 is the worst of them though, at least Crash 3's mini games were mostly fun

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
anyway thats why Klonoa is the best mascot platformer series, it stopped before that poo poo happened

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

there was that entire era of mascot platformers where like, their idea was that they had to put in as many minigames, and gimmick stages as possible because they ran out of ideas for platform levels

ok this is mainly Spyro 3 and at least one Crash game

Now they do this in RPGs!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think that's mainly final fantasy and yakuza doing that for years

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

haveblue posted:

Games are fart

:hmmyes:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Shard posted:

You know a lot of games from that time period are hard to go back to because developers got this idea that I didn't want to play a game and they put as much poo poo as they could to get between me staying the game and actual gameplay

As much fun as I had with Black Flag, it still fuckin annoys me when you have to follow an NPC talking to you and you cannot move at the same speed as them so you have to keep starting and stopping and for a sequence that's meant to deliver story it sure does take me out of the scene!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think the point of fountain is that, art is more defined by the framing than the content

i thought the point was that the people gatekeeping art are a bunch of morons huffing their own farts

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Reik posted:

i thought the point was that the people gatekeeping art are a bunch of morons huffing their own farts

that's an extrapolation of it i think. if "art" is defined more by the framing than the content, than what does that say about the people who control the framing, and all that.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

all video games are art.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

that's an extrapolation of it i think. if "art" is defined more by the framing than the content, than what does that say about the people who control the framing, and all that.

It's still funny that Fountain is over a century old and it still gets the kind of people who get mad about stuff like this mad

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
I got me Supcom Forged Alligance since I never had it when I was young, and despite never being able to get into it, I had a good time playing the first campaign mission for 4 hours straight.
I'm lucky if a game or activity keeps my attention span for 20 mins.

Absolute steal for 2 eddies and still holds up great in the year of our lord 2079.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Kerrzhe posted:

all video games are art.

Except the ones I don't like

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Kerrzhe posted:

all video games are art.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Omikron aint no loving art

And souless money scams like lootbox poo poo aint art

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the oldest game in existence is probably wrestling, and as we all know, wrestling is art. therefore games are art qed

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

omikrons possibly the closest video games have ever come to art

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
how many people have played Cosmology of Kyoto versus brought it up in games-as-art discussions

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

if you just remember that "art" does not mean "good" it makes it a lot easier to extricate yourself from this "debate"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gaming to me is an art, and Haze is the poo poo