Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I feel like I'm reading transcripts of those old recordings of dead people referring to early computers as rather novel and impractical contraptions.

Guys in this thread would have told the wright brothers their invention was as far as flying technology could basically ever go.
The idea that "this technology can only expand exponentially indefinitely" is a fallacy because there's nothing to base that off of. Technological innovations hit walls and reach logical upper limits constantly, whether it be generative AI, computing, or aeronautics. This thread isn't people laughing at the Wright Brothers, it's people laughing at people claiming that ornithopters are the inevitable future of aviation.

EDIT: This is the best possible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Consumers seem to select for cheaper and shittier in most cases and LLMs are great for that, so, a good engine to drive the further degeneration of society. Also if you assign an AI to set prices it has even less moral compunctions than the sleaziest of humans to say "just keep raising the price of everything, that will cause us to make more money", and they make pricing collusion more deniable. That said it feels like they might proverbially take what's left of the internet out behind the shed so maybe it will be a wash.

Calling them "AI" at all, evoking truly intelligent machines from scifi like Asimov or Terminator or whatever, seems like pure hype. I haven't seen anything that makes it look like they'll ever be able to do more than regurgitate remixes of things humans have already done, so the idea that they're some "next step" in the march of scientific progress seems doubtful.

Neither AI nor society will ever live up to your fiction-based standards.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Right now we have babby's first AI's, a way for us to communicate with data in natural language. As far as llm's are concerned, I can't see the tech going much further beyond refinement, error correction and safety. Despite my initial hopes for the tech I don't see llm's being much more than a powerful tool for a variety of cognition and reasoning based tasks. It will however always be flawed.

That said, I don't think it's the end for AI development in general. I've noticed a wide variety of different techniques, technologies and training paradigms just starting to come to fruition so it's hard for me to say the AI rush is going to end in a wet fart, it doesn't look likely, I see some real cool poo poo on the horizon. I wouldn't underestimate people's enthusiasm and creativity when it comes to such a powerful tool.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I had 20 year old AOIs visually confirming manufacturing defects for repair/tech/scrap and 20 year old CMs mounting chips at a max of 500k/8hrs <1% error a half decade ago and I bet if we added some AI into the mix it would go great

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Text and image AI is a huge boon for people who love content slop and are terrified of picking up a pencil.
AI is great for poo poo like providing a second opinion on radiology and interacting with datasets using natural language, but the people who hoot and holler about the picture they got out of the vending machine are deeply sad.
Also there's that whole thing where it just completely lies.
People are not as clever or as perceptive as we like to tell ourselves. AI slop is starting to show up in "peer-reviewed" publications because it turns out humans either don't notice or don't give a poo poo.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Text and image AI is a huge boon for people who love content slop and are terrified of picking up a pencil.
AI is great for poo poo like providing a second opinion on radiology and interacting with datasets using natural language, but the people who hoot and holler about the picture they got out of the vending machine are deeply sad.
Also there's that whole thing where it just completely lies.
People are not as clever or as perceptive as we like to tell ourselves. AI slop is starting to show up in "peer-reviewed" publications because it turns out humans either don't notice or don't give a poo poo.

Sometimes I like to think that people and institutions cared about quality more in the past, however, the more I think back and read about the past I realise that the concept of giving a poo poo was just an illusion. Though it should be said that many people in any given era do give a poo poo and shoot and scream enough to make people listen.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tarkus posted:

Sometimes I like to think that people and institutions cared about quality more in the past, however, the more I think back and read about the past I realise that the concept of giving a poo poo was just an illusion. Though it should be said that many people in any given era do give a poo poo and shoot and scream enough to make people listen.

Maybe this was the same for all of time. And it's just the easy access of the Internet that has allowed us to see it?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

redshirt posted:

Maybe this was the same for all of time. And it's just the easy access of the Internet that has allowed us to see it?

I'd say so too. I'd also say that the problems that we concern ourselves with are very real and very important but we do look at everything through a very exaggerated lens. It can be hard for us to discern the scope and scale of a problem because when we engage with a particular problem we can see infinite videos and stories that confirm our biases and fears. We're about 13 years in on smartphone society and the consequences are beginning to show.

One thing I see AI doing is attenuating news and the stories of life in general to be more dispassionate and even-handed. For some this might be seen as good, increasing social cohesion. For others it could be seen as terrible. I don't know, I tend towards trying to calm poo poo down but I also acknowledge that passion and action move things forward. I like forward too.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tarkus posted:

I'd say so too. I'd also say that the problems that we concern ourselves with are very real and very important but we do look at everything through a very exaggerated lens. It can be hard for us to discern the scope and scale of a problem because when we engage with a particular problem we can see infinite videos and stories that confirm our biases and fears. We're about 13 years in on smartphone society and the consequences are beginning to show.

One thing I see AI doing is attenuating news and the stories of life in general to be more dispassionate and even-handed. For some this might be seen as good, increasing social cohesion. For others it could be seen as terrible. I don't know, I tend towards trying to calm poo poo down but I also acknowledge that passion and action move things forward. I like forward too.

Please also rank your fight skills. On a scale of 1-100 with 100 being Mike Tyson level fighting skills.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

redshirt posted:

Please also rank your fight skills. On a scale of 1-100 with 100 being Mike Tyson level fighting skills.

I could take on a grizzly, where does that put me?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tarkus posted:

I could take on a grizzly, where does that put me?

I am intrigued.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

redshirt posted:

I am intrigued.

Poke it in the eyes, easy peasy, defeated bear.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tarkus posted:

Hmm.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Pitdragon posted:

automation of repetitive tasks is clearly just a fad with no long term value

is this what you think of art?

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Pitdragon posted:

automation of repetitive tasks is clearly just a fad with no long term value

cumpantry posted:

is this what you think of art?

Art currently because: (1) there are a lot people who only want experience new things, and (2) people who have limited leisure, so they stick with the same artists; force art to be very similar, and force artists to out put a lot of art in a short amount of time.

(Note (3): a million other reasons too.)

Although a counter argument, is that before there was a large barrier to entry, so that every piece of art that was put out, was special.
Where now, because art is easier to produce, there is a very low amount of creative mutation form art piece to art piece, but if in the past people had that lower barrier to entry, there would have been tons of like led zeppelin / pink floyd rip off albums.

A blunt force example of low creative different between pieces of art is Drift Phonk
Aggressive low mixed rap, bass boosted with a lot of distortaion and a melody made from cowbells
https://everynoise.com/engenremap-driftphonk.html

and here is a 2000's rock music example, shimmer pop.
https://everynoise.com/engenremap-shimmerpop.html

(this happened with novels too. It didn't happen to film because of the money, resources, and marketing ability. With videos games, it's starting to speed up with all that indie jazz.

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 17, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

after watching robots and people with no love for the game solder for years I'll tell you that there's good enough soldering, and then there's poo poo that has touch on it

soldering touch is much like Wizard Mastery, you just know it when you see it and it brings a tear to your eye

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I cannot do that, Dave.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Counter argument is that the only people AI lowers the barrier to entry to creating art for is probably the people who shouldn't try making art.

I dunno, in the modern age there is not any actual barrier to entry, for most people in a non war-torn country anyway, and that AI is somewhat higher of a barrier, especially as time goes on and those VCs need the money back. Which seems to be forgotten that right now all these billion free or cheap services are doing so to try and establish a base, and it won't remain that way for terribly long. Hell, dall-e is removing the free credit system, and I'll be interested to see how many people drop off after that.

You can use this free* AI site to make art, for now, until paygating or it closes down. And you could have used the time and money to actually learn the craft, instead you are now a prompt engineer, potentially the only type of person less employable than a musician :v:

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Remember when a bunch of the internet thought dev jobs were getting automated and creative jobs were safe?

(This was by the way not ever thought to be true by anyone qualified to blog about it)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There is no great loss in getting data sludge to fill in for brand ad copy or lovely pop art looking at the superficial surface level. Dig in any deeper and there are 2 immediate problems: the original artists who's art got crammed into the data garbage disposal were never compensated on top of our society having very limited mechanisms to make sure the people making ad copy and lovely pop art can land on their feet and not starve.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Tarkus posted:

EDIT

for content - :airquote: AI :airquote:, by which I mean Machine Learning specifically, has some very real and interesting applications in computer networks, specifically w/r/t configuration and packet loss. Generative AI to make :smugdon: as a rubber duckie takes a huge fuckoff amount of processing power, both in training the LLM and in generation. Figuring out what a missing packet looked like with the language model 'learning' from pre-post packets would be relatively easy, and would result in massive bandwidth reductions for human communication such as voice, video, email, SMS, etc.

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 17, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

AI ain't poo poo until it gets some hardware.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

MrQwerty posted:

after watching robots and people with no love for the game solder for years I'll tell you that there's good enough soldering, and then there's poo poo that has touch on it

soldering touch is much like Wizard Mastery, you just know it when you see it and it brings a tear to your eye

Same, but for Willie Wonka experiences. People who say they can tell the difference between a human made Warner Bros. one and an AI made Scottish Illuminati one are lying. You do a blind test and the guesses are basically gonna be 50/50 which is which

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

AI ain't poo poo until it gets some hardware.

also this. Machine learning, the fundamental basis of anything :airquote: AI :airquote:, requires huge amounts of very small, very stupid math calculations. Right now the entire processing world is based around doing extremely large math calculations per clock cycle, but x86/64 processors don't scale downward at all - they can only do one calculation per clock cycle, regardless if its a 64 bit integer or a 2 bit integer. AI hardware, such as nvidia's Tensor cores, have the ability to do lots very small, very stupid math calculations simultaneously per clock cycle, which ends up being way faster for AI poo poo than an Intel I7 or whatever. The computer chip manufacturing industry has to fundamentally shift into a different direction to realistically meet the AI needs of the future, but based on the different chip requirements, AI will likely become a hardware feature attached to specific equipment rather than the big boondoggle software platforms like ChatGPT are today

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Internet Old One posted:

Remember when a bunch of the internet thought dev jobs were getting automated and creative jobs were safe?

(This was by the way not ever thought to be true by anyone qualified to blog about it)

The closest it is to true for dev jobs is the same definition that has always resulted in some lists of jobs that will be automated including them. It's usually using a criteria that new tools could lead to either fewer devs doing the same work or the same devs doing more work.

For the current generation of generative AI it's pretty much that it's really good at reducing effort in writing repetitive boilerplate stuff. That's about all you can trust it with, because more complex stuff often needs to be deeply reviewed because it was trained on like random GitHub repos and bad stackoverflow answers.

Basically the jobs it threatens are early career people and "experienced" devs who never quite got it, both of whom spend a lot of time copy pasting boilerplate.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

AI has turned the internet into an unusable mess where it's harder to find accurate and salient information than it was in was in the 90s. So it's pretty loving horrible.

With google at least you can add "before:2022" to your search terms so it only returns results from the olden days before AI flooded the internet with poo poo

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

My concern with AI is that, like any new technology, the worst people are going to find ways to abuse it that the creators aren't even thinking about. Like right now we have scammers in call centres around the world trying to steal money from gullible people. What happens when they're replaced by an AI with a generated friendly local accent capable of responding more naturally than someone paid to follow a script?

I've already seen articles about scammers taking people's videos from social media and feeding them into an AI voice app so they can phone their relatives in their voice and scam them for money. Pretty soon they'll be able to combine that with deepfake tech to do realtime video calls which are pretty indistinguishable from the real thing, or at least good enough to fool your grandma

Duck and Cover posted:

I think we can all agree artists get paid too much and hopefully we'll soon be free from their stranglehold on "art".

Yeah I know people who work in illustration and they're already losing a ton of gigs. Directors and "ideas people" no longer need to employ artists to create concept art for characters or costumes or anything else, they can just feed some prompts into an AI app and pump out hundreds and hundreds of images and pick the ones they like.

We've also started seeing AI-generated radio DJs working in some radio stations: https://techcrunch.com/2023/06/14/radio-station-gets-part-time-ai-dj-based-on-its-midday-host/
...... which The Simpsons predicted a long long time ago

There's also a glut of fake books being listed on Amazon which were shitted out by ChatGPT, and other items such as fancy stained glass lamps where the product photo was obviously created using an AI generative image app

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

wilderthanmild posted:

The closest it is to true for dev jobs is the same definition that has always resulted in some lists of jobs that will be automated including them. It's usually using a criteria that new tools could lead to either fewer devs doing the same work or the same devs doing more work.

For the current generation of generative AI it's pretty much that it's really good at reducing effort in writing repetitive boilerplate stuff. That's about all you can trust it with, because more complex stuff often needs to be deeply reviewed because it was trained on like random GitHub repos and bad stackoverflow answers.

Basically the jobs it threatens are early career people and "experienced" devs who never quite got it, both of whom spend a lot of time copy pasting boilerplate.

If you look at what's being advertised as serious head count reductions in the immediate future and not just pie in the sky it's 75% removing off shore. Off shore call centers replaced with chatbots. Off shore code factories assembling googled snippets of code replaced with prompted code generation. Off shore graphical design replaced with prompted sludge generation.

The new part is probably lowering the bar of the size of business able to take advantage of a delocalized garbage generator which kind of redirects what a junior is meant to be learning from fundamental productive skills to skills about polishing a turd or interfacing between customer and garbage generator. These are career tracks already existing in businesses with off shore components. And really already struggling because it's a really weird career pipeline compared to just getting really good at making things yourself or running local projects entirely under your control.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I'm not too concerned about AI in peer reviewed papers since capitalism already killed that industry with mounds and mounds of bullshit churned out due to needing to put out a paper and not actually having anything to say and literally copy paste pictures and diagrams from other papers and then did when called out on it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Houle posted:

I'm not too concerned about AI in peer reviewed papers since capitalism already killed that industry with mounds and mounds of bullshit churned out due to needing to put out a paper and not actually having anything to say and literally copy paste pictures and diagrams from other papers and then did when called out on it.

Diagrams? Oh yeah we got diagrams

https://twitter.com/doctorveera/status/1758130007400915131

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

No but you see,

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

AI is going to generate a lot of revenue and you should learn not to care about anything else.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
No you see now lazy people can make bland uncanny images using stolen data and that's actually a big win for the little guy.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Sourdough Sam posted:

No you see now lazy people can make bland uncanny images using stolen data and that's actually a big win for the little guy.

I think what people fail to understand is nobody gives a gently caress about what you or I think is stealing, they just want their silly images.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Duck and Cover posted:

I think what people fail to understand is nobody gives a gently caress about what you or I think is stealing, they just want their silly images.

I mean, on the one hand plagiarism is obviously bad and it sucks that a whole lot of artists are losing work and won't be able to pay their bills

On the other hand this poo poo is loving hilarious

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Idk, a lot of the appeal for me in shitpost art is the effort that went into it. Knowing someone with skills decided to use them for something stupid is what makes it funny. When it's just goop from the vending machine, there's not as much to laugh about.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Shrimp Christ

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's also a glut of fake books being listed on Amazon which were shitted out by ChatGPT, and other items such as fancy stained glass lamps where the product photo was obviously created using an AI generative image app

The most darkly funny of the fake books I've seen is an AI-written field guide to identifying and collecting wild mushrooms. Falling into a coma as my organs dissolve because AI showed me a tasty edible Death Cap.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
https://www.businessinsider.com/chatgpt-ai-written-stories-publisher-clarkesworld-forced-close-submissions-2023-2

On the writing side of art, a publisher was just flooded with too many Ai works and had to close down, but that was going to happen in 10 years later without Ai.

In the middle of the 00's, short story anthology publishers started to required people to buy their book before a people could submit their story, because they were not selling that much, because people don't really read.

The biggest heresy is going to happen when some high school kid, with a lot of time and Ai, puts out well a polished Hollywood blockbuster movie from their bedroom.

People treat film like a religion, and having some kid make a good "live action" batman movie will be the biggest brainfuck moment for society as a whole..

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 17, 2024

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

wilderthanmild posted:

Yeah that's exactly what's happening but there was already a great deal of research about what AI can and can't do and what'll happen when it can and writing code and similar problems are pretty high up there and the implications are pretty wild if machines can do it without help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

Counter argument is that the only people AI lowers the barrier to entry to creating art for is probably the people who shouldn't try making art.

I dunno, in the modern age there is not any actual barrier to entry, for most people in a non war-torn country anyway, and that AI is somewhat higher of a barrier, especially as time goes on and those VCs need the money back. Which seems to be forgotten that right now all these billion free or cheap services are doing so to try and establish a base, and it won't remain that way for terribly long. Hell, dall-e is removing the free credit system, and I'll be interested to see how many people drop off after that.

You can use this free* AI site to make art, for now, until paygating or it closes down. And you could have used the time and money to actually learn the craft, instead you are now a prompt engineer, potentially the only type of person less employable than a musician :v:

Yeah, the "democratization of art" angle was always ridiculously myopic but to be fair I'm not hearing it much these days.

Houle posted:

It does seem like the state of academic publishing has been utterly dire for awhile now and this is just helping to expose it, so point for the LLMs I guess.

BoldFace posted:

Neither AI nor society will ever live up to your fiction-based standards.

My standard for intelligence is higher than "can remix media when prompted" :shrug:. Do you have a good one? Bonus points if it wasn't created post hoc to to match LLMs.