Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Here's my ultimate insider Maine destination: Monhegan Island. It's like a 2-3 hour boat ride from two ports. Check it out on a map, it's out there. A little island all by itself (it does have a little sister island).

It's the same geology/forest of Acadia, but completely out to sea. You can't see the mainland. There's no roads or streetlights, it's like going back in time. If you can catch a star filled night, trust me you have never seen so many stars. It's magical. The Milky Way all splayed out....

There's a big old school 1880's hotel and that's about it. It has a bar and restaurant though so that's all you need. I highly recommend staying the night, but you could make a day trip out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Hollismason posted:

I'll tell you what was a good game that robot baseball game for the NES and Mutant league football for Sega.

In Base Wars you can pretty much steamroll every opponent once you get a laser gun arm---much like in real baseball.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

redshirt posted:

Here's my ultimate insider Maine destination: Monhegan Island. It's like a 2-3 hour boat ride from two ports. Check it out on a map, it's out there. A little island all by itself (it does have a little sister island).

It's the same geology/forest of Acadia, but completely out to sea. You can't see the mainland. There's no roads or streetlights, it's like going back in time. If you can catch a star filled night, trust me you have never seen so many stars. It's magical. The Milky Way all splayed out....

There's a big old school 1880's hotel and that's about it. It has a bar and restaurant though so that's all you need. I highly recommend staying the night, but you could make a day trip out of it.

This sounds wonderful. I am adding it to the list.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

my mom went to a cabin some yoga lady she knows has in maine for a week once and said it was one of the best places in the US she's been outside her home state (she was born in honolulu)

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Smugworth posted:

would you like to be my therapist

no, just use the internet like i do

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

my mom went to a cabin some yoga lady she knows has in maine for a week once and said it was one of the best places in the US she's been outside her home state (she was born in honolulu)

Maine has three very distinct parts: There's the coast; there's lakesides; and then the endless forest....

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

redshirt posted:

Maine has three very distinct parts: There's the coast; there's lakesides; and then the endless forest....

I believe it was lakeside, i dont know though it was a while ago. She said it kicked rear end and she would recommend everyone go do that if they have the opportunity, much like going to Peru for a yoga retreat for a month and somehow coming back with a pound of packaged, store-bought coca leaves.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Maine got good weed or….

not really thinking to relocate but always kind of thinking to relocate?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Chief McHeath posted:

Maine got good weed or….

not really thinking to relocate but always kind of thinking to relocate?

gently caress yeah full recreational and medical for years now.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
fr though really for the first time maybe ever i don’t feel like i have any tethers rn (outside a lease) so if i wanted to make a plan to look for work/life anywhere else i could and i think about that sometimes

places i have thinked:
New Mexico/Nevada
way up northeast somewhere like Maine or Vermont
lake places like Michigan or Minnesota

pretty firm no on mega size cities. as much cool poo poo as a Philly or Chicago offers i know id be much more more somewhere else like the satellite towns/cities 50-200,000 in size

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

redshirt posted:

If you can catch a star filled night, trust me you have never seen so many stars. It's magical. The Milky Way all splayed out....

saw this on a nowhere island in Bahamas pop 300-ish? humbling.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Chief McHeath posted:

saw this on a nowhere island in Bahamas pop 300-ish? humbling.

I'd love to see that because the stars would be so different than what I am use to.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Chief McHeath posted:

fr though really for the first time maybe ever i don’t feel like i have any tethers rn (outside a lease) so if i wanted to make a plan to look for work/life anywhere else i could and i think about that sometimes

places i have thinked:
New Mexico

pretty firm no on mega size cities. as much cool poo poo as a Philly or Chicago offers i know id be much more more somewhere else like the satellite towns/cities 50-200,000 in size

you ain't gonna get paid poo poo in NM but most likely there is a mountain in your backyard. ABQ metro including Rio Rancho, Belen and Los Lunas is approaching the population of Wyoming and a full hour + (+ doing a lot of work there during rush hour at the big I) drive across if you're commuting.
Oh yeah, the Big I. I-25 and I-40 intersect in Albuquerque and they rebuilt it as this giant overpass, but it took 10 years so it was already 10 years behind the traffic needs when it launched, it's a loving mess. Also the old mayor of Albuquerque destroyed Central (Historic Route 66) to install a bus line in the middle of the loving street that services stops another bus line already serviced, in lieu of light rail that would have done the same thing properly. This place is very stupid. I talk about ABQ like it's NM because outside ABQ you have Santa Fe and Taos and I'm assuming you're not rich, so the rest of the state is Texas, Arizona and reservations.

There's so much cool poo poo here, though. Acoma is cool as poo poo and they actually open up on feast days for outreach and education. I've been invited to Zuni during shalako, that's cool as poo poo. You can't go to Zuni, especially not during shalako lol. It was hairy for my buddy and I, and we were guests. You also don't want to go to Zuni during shalako, it's like loving -4 outside when you're watching the mudheads talk poo poo in a language your dumb rear end is never gonna learn.

The food is so good. There is a 10,678 foot mountain in your backyard in ABQ that you can hike most times, and most every trail hooks up with the one that goes to the peak. If you decide you hosed up because it's late and you don't want to hike back down, there's a tramway at the peak lol.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 17, 2024

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
abq ftw

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I guess Las Cruces is a big city, too, but it's just a big corridor with El Paso and Ciudad Juarez where Texas and New Mexico and Mexico are one

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I lived in ALBQ for 9 months or so and it was this fantasyland. Hot water from the cold taps. Zoo animals loving in the night. Hanging out with these gay Apache drag queens in their permanently outdoor living room...

I had a guest role on their TV show for like 6 episodes. Just a side character here or there.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

cali wine country is pretty good, op. that windows xp default wallpaper life is a good life

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Chief McHeath posted:

places i have thinked:
New Mexico/Nevada

I'm in the same boat honestly, would love to get out of this expensive rear end state now that I don't have a job here. those are also basically the states I've been thinking

Maine and Michigan are both on the list still. Maybe North Carolina since I have a lot of friends out there

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Come to Maine! Portland won the award for best restaurant city recently. So many amazing places, the entire city is like this wonderland of bars and restaurants.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

i kick myself whenever i think about how cheap everything is back home, but it’s just too cursed to ever go back

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

so its real hard to find actual pictures of mudheads
because they're not allowed, at all, outside a few that got taken
mostly it's kachina fetishes and drawings

these are the something awful goons of the zuni

these assholes run around to everyone's house during shalako, at fuckin 2AM while it's -4F outside, and shitpost at them in their loudest voices

I didn't understand a single word they said but my buddy and his family assured my white buddy and I that it was A+ prosting, essentially
everyone thought it was real fuckin funny and it was directed at their friends

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Is that a new bar theme or something?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

redshirt posted:

Is that a new bar theme or something?

no its a religious holiday where a bunch of pro posters walk around to your house and talk poo poo to you, you, you, you and your sister about the sins of the past year in a very lol way to absolve everyone and move into the new year; then eat this feast at this big rear end house we built for the family that got chosen to host who got roasted like nom epique

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

MrQwerty posted:

so its real hard to find actual pictures of mudheads
because they're not allowed, at all, outside a few that got taken
mostly it's kachina fetishes and drawings

these are the something awful goons of the zuni

these assholes run around to everyone's house during shalako, at fuckin 2AM while it's -4F outside, and shitpost at them in their loudest voices

I didn't understand a single word they said but my buddy and his family assured my white buddy and I that it was A+ prosting, essentially
everyone thought it was real fuckin funny and it was directed at their friends

those guys aren’t goons. their people respect them

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

TrashMammal posted:

those guys aren’t goons. their people respect them

you'd be surprised at 3AM in an inch of mud, -4F and dude just clapped his hands in front of a chick that was not having whatever he had to say

oh yeah they talk story and then clap their hands as a group in your face

evidently the one that was directed at us pretty much translated to, "look at these idiots out of place, where are the other white people we invited? guess these are the best" *CLAP* at the two of us

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 17, 2024

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!
Is it ethical to waste emergency time off to leave work early?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
love to be accosted and called out on my bullshit out loud at 3am by the mudheads

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

emSparkly posted:

yes

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i think i put too much rosemary in these scalloped potatoes

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

emSparkly posted:

it is always ethical to leave work early, for any reason

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

AARD VARKMAN posted:

i think i put too much rosemary in these scalloped potatoes

Not sure how this is possible unless you spilled the rosemary in some comical fashion.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

there has been 116 pages of posts in the sagas thread in 13 days lol

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Has something actually happened or is it just chat

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i know at least a part of that was one old lp goon faking dying of cancer but on cursory glance it's 90% video games chat

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the sagas thread and the trump thread are one and the same

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i know at least a part of that was one old lp goon faking dying of cancer but on cursory glance it's 90% video games chat

I was totally new to that and it was so loving weird seeing slowbeef do essentially a drama twitlonger post about anything.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Is the Sagas thread the one that got shut down half a dozen times? Why did that keep happening?

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

credburn posted:

Is the Sagas thread the one that got shut down half a dozen times? Why did that keep happening?

lol

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

redshirt posted:

I lived in ALBQ for 9 months or so and it was this fantasyland. Hot water from the cold taps. Zoo animals loving in the night. Hanging out with these gay Apache drag queens in their permanently outdoor living room...

I had a guest role on their TV show for like 6 episodes. Just a side character here or there.

just picturing you ambling into the background of numerous shots with a shovel, talking quietly with someone who points at a pile of gravel or dirt and then you start shoveling. towards the end of the scene someone appears again and looks at your work, nods approvingly and then you shake hands and walk away, all the while the gay apache drag queens continue with their conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

credburn posted:

It's a containment zone for several forum pets

and a cool place to talk about JRPGs