Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

Tiktok is a cesspit, so the Dems managed to do one good thing this admin.

Lol if you think they’re going to stop at Tiktok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The ban is only getting this far because the interests of foreign policy (support for Israel) and silicon valley (banning competitors) have aligned. They're not going to ban Facebook or Twitter.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
theyre also not really looking to ban tiktok just like they weren't really going to regulate facebook, this is abput flexing muscle to get tiktok to help shape narratives and more importantly get the plutocrats' beaks wet.

It was incredibly rude to make such a successful business without giving the pelosis a chance to buy in at a special price

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

you'll notice they didn't ban twitter or facebook both of which are unmistakably worse lol

Both are SV-owned and participate in US-dictated censorship. Tiktok is driving most of the domestic refusal to go along with the US government's narrative of Gaza and they need to get it under control before the presidential election so it can be part of the propaganda push against Trump.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

so yes, the democrats are so loving stupid that they'll believe bytedance will roll over and sell to some zionist shitheads instead of, you know, letting them ban it and operating in the rest of the world as usual

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
It won't "stop at TikTok" only in the sense that grassroots leftist content will continue to be vigorously targeted for minimization or censorship. TikTok just happens to be the most popular medium for it. If FB or Twitter were left-leaning they would be in the crosshairs but lol

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
It used to be Twitter, but Elon's changes effectively destroyed it. Now any leftist posting that goes viral gets dog-piled by blue-checks and slapped with a "community note"

They want to do the same to Tiktok

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

The TikTokker congressman has been bullied off the platform after voting for the ban lol.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
big news for all lis Smith heads out there

https://x.com/aseitzwald/status/1768228931767808497?s=20

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

Tiktok is a cesspit, so the Dems managed to do one good thing this admin.

swing and a miss

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

chinedu...

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Chinedu is about to make a triumphant return to tell us all about how bad RFK Jr is

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
in more "things nobody asked for and don't help anyone but are pushed by Democrats" news:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1768599545322041827

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

ex post facho posted:

in more "things nobody asked for and don't help anyone but are pushed by Democrats" news:

I'm excited tbh

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Four things I don't particularly care for, in one convenient package!

what do these things cost for the cheapest admission, $1,000 per plate? Do you think they'll have silent auctions or is that for poor person fundraisers?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

palindrome posted:

Four things I don't particularly care for, in one convenient package!

what do these things cost for the cheapest admission, $1,000 per plate? Do you think they'll have silent auctions or is that for poor person fundraisers?

depends on how many perks you get. For example, a recent Biden fundraiser had this price list:

Willa Rogers posted:

Who's going? :dance:

Biden Victory Fund accepts contributions of up to $929,600 from a person and $415,000 from a multicandidate committee (“PAC”). The first $6,600/$10,000 from a person/PAC will be allocated to Biden for President, with the first $3,300/$5,000 designated for the primary and the next $3,300/$5,000 for the general election. The next $41,300/$15,000 from a person/PAC will be allocated to the DNC. The next $510,000/$255,000 from a person/PAC will be split equally among the Democratic state parties from: AK, AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, and WY. Any additional funds will be allocated to the DNC, subject to applicable contribution limits.

A contributor may designate his or her contribution for a particular participant by contacting contact@joebiden.com. The allocation formula above may change if following it would result in an excessive contribution. Contributions will be used in connection with federal elections, may be spent on any activity as each committee determines in its sole discretion, and will not be earmarked for any particular candidate. Federal law requires us to use our best efforts to collect and report the name, mailing address, occupation, and name of employer of individuals whose contributions exceed $200 per election cycle. Biden Victory Fund does not accept contributions from corporations or their PACs, unions, federal contractors, national banks, those registered as federal lobbyists or under FARA, SEC-named executives of fossil fuel companies, or foreign nationals.

I expect the Broadway one will have a higher floor, but similarly eye-watering upper tiers

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
SaveOurDemocracyPackage($250,000)

A_Druish_Princess
Jan 12, 2024

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

you'll notice they didn't ban twitter or facebook both of which are unmistakably worse lol

First, they took my X.com, and I said nothing…

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

ex post facho posted:

I'm reminded of that SNL sketch when Hilldawg was running for president when Amy Poehler playing Hillary was like "okay here's the deal, you give me the presidency and I will go into the oval office and work all the time and you will never ever see me. but if you don't give it to me I will never ever go away or leave you alone".

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

1glitch0 posted:

I'm reminded of that SNL sketch when Hilldawg was running for president when Amy Poehler playing Hillary was like "okay here's the deal, you give me the presidency and I will go into the oval office and work all the time and you will never ever see me. but if you don't give it to me I will never ever go away or leave you alone".

prescient!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

bedpan posted:

prescient!

It was the most compelling argument I heard for Hillary that entire election cycle.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

there was definitely a lib call for it
The national security grounds for investigating Musk’s Twitter acquisition | Brookings

www.brookings.edu - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 posted:

On October 27, Elon Musk purchased Twitter in a deal worth $44 billion. Expectations and opinions about the deal vary widely. Critics are concerned that Musk will remove important safeguards against hate speech, online harassment, and incitement of violence, and weaken the platform’s rules against mis- and disinformation. Proponents of the deal hope that Musk will improve Twitter’s business model and expand the capabilities of the platform, turning it into an “everything app” with a range of products and services.

However, one important aspect of Musk’s acquisition of Twitter has received less attention: The acquisition’s relevance to national security. Not only has Musk brought on a number of investors to help finance the deal, including entities with links to China, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia (see Table 1), but one of his other companies, Tesla, is increasingly dependent on the Chinese market and the goodwill of the Chinese government. Due to the critical position of Twitter as a platform for political discourse in the U.S., the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), a federal interagency committee tasked with reviewing the national security implications of foreign investment in domestic companies, should investigate the Twitter deal on the grounds of national security. According to recent press reports, Biden administration officials are indeed discussing whether the Committee should investigate the deal and on October 31, Senator Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) called for CFIUS to begin an investigation. Given evolving trends in CFIUS decisions in other cases, President Biden would have strong grounds for blocking Musk’s Twitter acquisition or at the very least compelling the minority foreign investors to sell their equity to parties that would not pose a national security threat. Importantly, while the business deal is technically completed, CFIUS has the authority to retroactively investigate and undo it, which it has done in other instances in the past. In 2020, for example, President Trump ordered the Chinese company Beijing Shiji Information Technology Co. to divest from U.S. cloud-based company StayNTouch Inc. following a CFIUS review over one year after the former had acquired the latter.

## Conclusion

President Biden would be justified to use his authority under CFIUS to investigate the sale of Twitter to Elon Musk, particularly as long as foreign investors from China, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia are part of the deal. The risk to national security appears significant, with possible unchecked influence of adversarial governments in play as well as the possibility of providing access to the personal information of millions of Americans to these foreign entities. Further, the acquisition could potentially provide a platform for increased foreign meddling and the dissemination of misinformation and “fake news” on Twitter that could have devastating consequences for American democracy and our national security. Given the trends and rationales of past CFIUS decisions, under both the Trump and Biden administrations, we believe the Biden administration would have strong grounds for blocking the deal, or at the very least compelling the sale of the minority stakes held by the foreign investors identified here to parties that would not pose a national security threat.

---

The Brookings Institution is financed through the support of a diverse array of foundations, corporations, governments, individuals, as well as an endowment. A list of donors can be found in our annual reports published online here. The findings, interpretations, and conclusions in this report are solely those of its author(s) and are not influenced by any donation.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

1glitch0 posted:

And I'm reminded of the Onion article about a Manuel-Miranda Dunham collaboration tour to help heal the nation and sway Americans to the liberal cause.
Though at least this is something for their donors, so I guess it's not as big a red flag that this would appeal to no one outside of a very narrow band

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

When I think of the TikTok ban two things spring immediately to mind:

1. It's always projection and if they're worried about the what the Chinese government is doing to its social media apps then I'm worried about what our intelligence agencies are doing to ours
2. Obviously this is because it's a place where people can actually hear and see what's going on outside of the censorship regime of the west and that's unacceptable

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

look at all these chuds smh
There’s a new ‘Trumpiest’ neighborhood in Seattle

www.seattletimes.com - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 posted:

For decades, the gated community of Broadmoor has been Seattle’s Republican redoubt.

The old-money country club near Madison Park has often been the only voting precinct to go red in a deep blue city. It was especially so back in the days of Reagan and the Bushes and Romney, before the MAGA movement ate the GOP.

But in the presidential primaries this past week, another part of town suddenly went all Trumpy and, in so doing, may be about to displace Broadmoor as Seattle’s most conservative spot.

The two neighborhoods couldn’t be more different — in wealth or history or demographic makeup.

The Chinatown International District gave a larger share of its votes to Donald Trump than any other Seattle neighborhood — by far. In an analysis by Seattle political consultant Ben Anderstone, the Chinatown ID emerged as the Trumpiest neighborhood in the city.

Grouping together all the votes cast for candidates in both parties, and looking at them by neighborhood, Trump was winning 32% of all the votes cast in the CID. In just one of its three precincts — the area surrounding the Uwajimaya grocery between South King Street and South Dearborn — Trump was winning the GOP primary by 95 votes to just 7, for challenger Nikki Haley.

In only one other Seattle neighborhood did Trump top 15% — that was Broadmoor. Haley, however, was beating Trump there.

Democratic nominee Joe Biden still got the most votes in every Seattle neighborhood, as the city is overwhelmingly Democratic. But only in the CID was Biden getting fewer than 50% of all the votes cast across both party primaries.

“What’s happening there is a massive change from a few years ago,” said Anderstone, of Progressive Strategies NW, a Seattle campaign consulting company for Democratic candidates.

Before Trump came along, the CID voted solidly Democratic, only about 12% Republican. Now it’s more than three times that. (Adding the votes for all Republican candidates together, it comes out to about 40% Republican.)

It’s not just the CID: “Voters of color are starting to vote Republican in unusual numbers.”

These vote totals and percentages are preliminary, as votes are still being counted. Anderstone’s precinct analysis is based on the ballots counted on election night, and so percentages will doubtless shift. His boundary for the CID stops at Interstate 5, so did not include Little Saigon to the east.

He also cautioned that a low-turnout primary, in which not much was at stake, won’t necessarily resemble the main event that takes place this fall.

Still, you can see in Broadmoor vs. the CID the two ships of the Republican Party, the old one and the new, passing. The wealthy, white and educated enclave of Broadmoor — call them Republicans who listen to NPR — has recoiled as the boorish Trump has taken over the party. With nowhere to go, they’re increasingly voting for Democrats.

The same thing has been happening with moderates and Republicans with college degrees out in the Eastside suburbs. It’s become hostile terrain for GOP candidates.

Meanwhile the CID, which trended a bit Republican in the 2022 election as well, has begun flirting with MAGA.

“Most Seattle neighborhoods are dominated by white people with college degrees,” Anderstone said. “That’s now the Democratic base. We have become the party of Wallingford.”

Only 2% of Wallingford’s total primary votes were going to Trump, compared with the CID’s 32%.

Anderstone found that the next Trumpiest Seattle neighborhoods were all in the south end — places like South Park, Brighton and New Holly.

Again, none of these areas are likely to go for any Republican in the fall, let alone Trump. In 2020, Trump didn’t win a single one of Seattle’s 1,000-plus precincts. Instead Anderstone is suggesting these primary votes are indicators, signals, of a realignment that’s happening to varying degrees across the country.

What would compel folks in the Chinatown International District to back Trump? Anderstone said it’s speculation to guess specific reasons, especially across a neighborhood that cast nearly 500 votes.

But polling and political science studies suggest that since Trump came on the scene in 2015, the telltale indicator for how you’re going to vote is now educational attainment. One party is seen, for better or worse, as lecturing and policy oriented. The other, due to Trump, is more of a cultural crusade, or a sort of free-form personality parade.

You can see this “diploma divide” in Washington’s primary voting. Trump did relatively poorly in places where everyone went to college, such as Mercer Island, where Haley was winning the GOP side of the primary despite dropping out the week before. Down in the less affluent, less college-going suburbs such as Federal Way, Trump was clobbering Haley by more than 50 percentage points.

Anderstone said that statewide, his firm also estimates about 40% of both Hispanic and Asian primary voters opted for the Republican ballot in this past week’s primary. That’s a big shift in party choice from eight years ago, when only around 20% of each group participated in the 2016 GOP primary; the rest selected Democratic ballots.

“It’s another sign that we may be starting to lose some working-class Latinos and working-class Asians,” he summed up, referring to Democrats.

In our state, the GOP’s loss of places like Broadmoor and the affluent suburbs is a much bigger deal, numerically, than the Democrats’ emerging troubles with voters of color. But these same shifts, and the balance between the two, may decide the entire presidential election in states like Georgia. There, Trump is struggling in Atlanta’s suburbs, but is apparently starting to make inroads among working-class Black voters.

Back in Seattle, the election maps will no doubt continue to display a sea of blue. But beneath that surface, the city contains multitudes.

“There’s quite a change happening,” Anderstone said. “The class realignment in politics is real.”

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Having lived in seattle for 20 years, if trump kept all of his polices but was more NPR-ish he'd sweep the town.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

1glitch0 posted:

Having lived in seattle for 20 years, if trump kept all of his polices but was more NPR-ish he'd sweep the town.

yeah you just described joe biden

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
lmoa

https://twitter.com/TrumpDailyPosts/status/1769025306462142876

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
biden is absolutely senile, and the only thing he knows is how much he loves + wants to kiss israel on the lips

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/jkarsh/status/1769242363229274383

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

This year is only going to get more funny.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/jpaulgoode/status/1769012163421565014

:thunk:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I have two friends about to go on multiple Boeing flights in the next few months. I wish them luck! I hope they light a candle to Saint Mayor Pete prior.

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol Biden being that far behind trump with people under 35 is hilarious since young voters typically prefer democrats by like +20%

Kids these days dont want to support genocide, and its sending america to hell.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

A savage country like Russia kills political opponents while an enlightened democratic country like America simply keeps political opponents off the ballot in a clean and bloodless courtroom. This is liberalism.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/ninaturner/status/1769448596884079103

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Nichael posted:

I have two friends about to go on multiple Boeing flights in the next few months. I wish them luck! I hope they light a candle to Saint Mayor Pete prior.

I have to do multiple boeing united flights out of sfo over the next few months and i told my wife if i die in a fiery crash at least it means her student loan debt will get cleared up

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

I have to do multiple boeing united flights out of sfo over the next few months and i told my wife if i die in a fiery crash at least it means her student loan debt will get cleared up
dang. I hope your wife's debts are taken care of as soon as possible.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

mawarannahr posted:

dang. I hope your wife's debts are taken care of as soon as possible.

inshallah, mutual benefit is hopefully getting to never coming back to this earth

like i'll take anything over this one, let my soul see some other timelines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

The one thing I have to look forward to with a Trump v. Biden rematch is that Trump is going to be absolutely loving savage about this poo poo and it's going to be hilarious.