Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Apparently we miss a lot of puns etc in Shakespeare by insisting on use of received pronunciation.

So much of Shakespeare is dependent on understanding 16th century English, 16th century culture and 16th century current events that I sometimes think it's hardly worth bothering with unless you're an expert, as otherwise most of it's flying straight over your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Fall meaning autumn is one of those old English words that travelled to the colonies and remained in use while falling out of favour here.
Aye, but I think this is also a case where the U/Non-U of "do you say napkin or serviette, jam or preserve" comes in too, because if you were going by the papers, who tend to be terminally middle class, autumn replaced fall by the late 19th century, probably for the same reason as serviette and preserve, it sounds fancier, whereas ordinary working class people especially out in the periphery would just keep calling it whatever they always called it unless they thought themselves fancy.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

So much of Shakespeare is dependent on understanding 16th century English, 16th century culture and 16th century current events that I sometimes think it's hardly worth bothering with unless you're an expert, as otherwise most of it's flying straight over your head.

That's right in the middle of The Great Vowel Shift. :ughh:

No wonder everything went weird.

edit: just after killing a wasp in my bedroom... it's March ffs!!! :argh:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Noxville posted:

Coming in late for the Corbyn monstering chat, but the very first one I remember was 'Jeremy Corbyn wants gender segregation on trains', and you had to read right to the end of the story to find out the actual truth, is that a campaigner had approached him with the idea of female-only carriages to reduce sexual assault on trains as some other foreign countries do, and Corbyn said that if elected Labour would consider holding a consultation on the subject. I remember reading this baffled as everyone talked about the bullshit headline rather than the actuality of what happened and realising this was just how it was gonna be.

I'd forgotten that. My (very) right wing nephew then aged about 16 (son of Tory Boy) at a family gathering said "well how would you like to be in a segregated carriage - Corbyn wants to do that' - my reply "Firstly, he didn't say that' (and surprisingly my very right wing sister-in-law wife of Tory Boy) agreed that he hadn't in fact said that, and added 'I'm living in a country which has exactly that - a couple of segregated women's carriages, BUT women can sit - or stand armpit to armpit - in any carriage they wish, it's just men aren't supposed to get in the women's carriage'. (And it's funny because regular men- by which I mean average, law-abiding, if they inadvertently get in the women's carriage look absolutely mortified and get out at the next stop but there are some guys who deliberately do it - hawkers for one. But if they look set to stay, they get harangued by women in the carriage & beat a hasty retreat. Sometimes police get on and scoot all the men out.
There used to be just one carriage but now it's two.
One of them is permanently women only and the other is women only until about 730pm because if you're on the metro after then a woman is 'no better than she should be' (one of those inexplicable sayings grannies come out with).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 17, 2024

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yes - in this book about the English witch hunts in the 17th century I'm reading which I mentioned earlier ITT, witch (sic) dips back into the 16th century, it mentions Macbeth along with other plays of the time as being written in the light of James 1st witch hunts & also lifting directly from James 1st book Daemonologie. Essentially conforming to the witch hunting 'macarthyism' of the day.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Noxville posted:

Coming in late for the Corbyn monstering chat, but the very first one I remember was 'Jeremy Corbyn wants gender segregation on trains', and you had to read right to the end of the story to find out the actual truth, is that a campaigner had approached him with the idea of female-only carriages to reduce sexual assault on trains as some other foreign countries do, and Corbyn said that if elected Labour would consider holding a consultation on the subject. I remember reading this baffled as everyone talked about the bullshit headline rather than the actuality of what happened and realising this was just how it was gonna be.

Someone should create a browser extension for UK news sites that reverses the order paragraphs are displayed in and puts the headline last.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Some of Shakespeare's best comedies are all trash, in the gleeful John Waters "I'm the Pope of Trash" way, cross-dressing, increasingly convoluted plot confusions, and a wide variety of jokes about dicks and balls that make no sense unless you're a gay man in Baltimore.

The main difference between Waters and Shakespeare being whether you mean Baltimore, Maryland or Baltimore, James I's friend.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

To be honest I'm not a huge fan of women-only carriages, I understand why they might be needed but it doesn't feel like the right solution, maybe adding more guards or similar would help. And trains are packed enough as is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It does seem like it would cause particular problems in the UK because of terf brain.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OwlFancier posted:

It does seem like it would cause particular problems in the UK because of terf brain.

I doubt this is a UK-specific problem

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sure, but I guess I am particularly skeptical of the british public to not be extra stupid about it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"What is a woman" only carriages, where they can all be insufferable together.

I found this list of U/Non-U words with ostensibly the more common (in the author's region) highlighted:

The one that struck me the most was wireless/radio, because well no, but yes.

I still call the thing in the car a radio, but if I want to listen to some music at home I'm far more likely to ask "is the wireless on?"

It refers to something completely different, but using the exact same electromagnetic mechanism as Marconi and Tesla, so yeah sure why not.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I dont really remember there being any trans argument over it at the time? Like now that would be the first association people would make with it? Maybe there was at the time and I just didnt notice

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I dont really remember there being any trans argument over it at the time? Like now that would be the first association people would make with it? Maybe there was at the time and I just didnt notice

The culture war over trans people didn't really kick into gear until 2017 or so, it was pretty much kickstarted by Theresa May's plans to bring in self-ID

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Someone should create a browser extension for UK news sites that reverses the order paragraphs are displayed in and puts the headline last.

This just reminded me of the old plugin that replaced the headline on the daily mail site with the top voted comment

E: this site has some good screenshot examples https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/otm/articles/if-daily-mail-readers-wrote-headlines

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

there was also "traingate"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41036937

TLDR: Corbyn posted a brief vid where he was sat on the train floor because of overcrowding, Branson released CCTV footage apparently showing empty seats, about a year later doubledown news did a subject access request on behalf of Corbyn and the actual CCTV footage shows the train rammed full

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

"What is a woman" only carriages, where they can all be insufferable together.
That's the carriage where you're allowed to read underage slashfic in massive print. For research, or course.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

DreddyMatt posted:

This just reminded me of the old plugin that replaced the headline on the daily mail site with the top voted comment

E: this site has some good screenshot examples https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/otm/articles/if-daily-mail-readers-wrote-headlines

Oof. I think I need a trigger warning for child death stories. So so awful to think about.

(ETA: it wouldn't have bothered me ten years ago but having kids of your own changes you it seems!)

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 17, 2024

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

AceClown posted:

there was also "traingate"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41036937

TLDR: Corbyn posted a brief vid where he was sat on the train floor because of overcrowding, Branson released CCTV footage apparently showing empty seats, about a year later doubledown news did a subject access request on behalf of Corbyn and the actual CCTV footage shows the train rammed full

That was a real taster of what was to come - private companies don't usually get involved in PR wars with political figures, and certainly don't normally publically release CCTV footage of senior politicians and random members of the public.

But Corbyn was always an acceptable target and wasn't to be treated with the same deference as any other LOTO.

It's similar to the thing that really ramped up in the months before the 2019 election where the media was very keen to differentiate between Labour supporters and 'normal people' as a way of invalidating anything they said. Corbyn attracting spontaneous crowds on the street in Leeds? Doesn't count because they're Labour Supporters. This woman who harangued Priti Patel on the street about the hostile environment? Doesn't matter because we've trawled her socials and she's a Labour Supporter. A Labour Activist, even. "WHY IS LABOUR IGNORING THE CONCERNS OF ORDINARY PEOPLE???"

Corbyn wasn't a 'normal' politician and his supporters weren't 'normal' people. Which made it OK to treat with with hostile contempt and dishonesty. Apparently.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Happy St. Patrick's day to those who observe it. The Irish pub here has stopped doing Murphy's since last March 17th apparently, they've replaced it with Kilkenny.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I don’t think my brain can accept “pardon?” as being less posh than “what?”

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Aristos and paups say what, pardon is a definite aspirational lower-middle-class tell.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's like calling the big soft chair in your living room a settee instead of a sofa.

e: oh right I see that's on the list as well.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

big scary monsters posted:

Happy St. Patrick's day to those who observe it.

and also to those who don't :hehe:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He was a definite troll, putting his day so that it would always be somewhere right in the middle of Lent like that. Giving up alcohol? Not now you aren't.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
friggin day off tomorra isn't it :slick:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

crispix posted:

friggin day off tomorra isn't it :slick:

Only in NI, annoyingly.

Good argument for home rule (of the rest of the UK from NI)

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
None of this would have happened if everyone voted for chaos with Ed Miliband like I did

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

He was a definite troll, putting his day so that it would always be somewhere right in the middle of Lent like that. Giving up alcohol? Not now you aren't.

Look at this guy, not knowing that the Irish are experts at coming up with reasons why you can drink during Lent but still have it count.

(Paddy's Day being a counter to Lent is the most obvious one. But depending on who you talk to, Mother's Day, your Birthday and the day when Ireland win the Grand Slam at Rugby are all days when you can drink and still be fine for Lent.)

Brought to you by the country that classified Geese as a type of barnacle, so they were okay to eat.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

Look at this guy, not knowing that the Irish are experts at coming up with reasons why you can drink during Lent but still have it count.

(Paddy's Day being a counter to Lent is the most obvious one. But depending on who you talk to, Mother's Day, your Birthday and the day when Ireland win the Grand Slam at Rugby are all days when you can drink and still be fine for Lent.)

Brought to you by the country that classified Geese as a type of barnacle, so they were okay to eat.

But they are...

The barnacle goose and the similar brant goose were previously considered one species, and were formerly believed to spawn from the goose barnacle.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnacle_goose

Much as a Terry's chocolate orange counts as 1 of your 5 a day. Ahem.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 18, 2024

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Supposedly part of the "U" vs "Non-U" thing is to do with using French root words or not. Using Frenchy words is apparently a thing that the proles do/did to try to seem posh.

So that's why "Lavatory" and "Pardon" and "Preserve" etc. are non-U.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I think you'll find that "lavatory" started as a policy recommendation and eventually they mistakenly removed the space

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

WhatEvil posted:

Supposedly part of the "U" vs "Non-U" thing is to do with using French root words or not. Using Frenchy words is apparently a thing that the proles do/did to try to seem posh.

So that's why "Lavatory" and "Pardon" and "Preserve" etc. are non-U.

Didn't Kate's parents get looked down on by Brenda & Keith for either saying lavatory instead of toilet (or vice versa) - just say "bog" and cover all bases.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Just say shitter

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Crapper, in honour of the man famous for slightly improving it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It should be renamed the seaside log flume

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Pistol_Pete posted:

Reminds me of the quote from A Comedy of Errors that is unambiguously a fart joke "A man may break a word with you, sir, and words are but wind. Ay, and break it in your face, so break it not behind"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

logger posted:

Reminds me of the quote from A Comedy of Errors that is unambiguously a fart joke "A man may break a word with you, sir, and words are but wind. Ay, and break it in your face, so break it not behind"

And that reminds me of being told 'Falstaff is the comedic relief of the scene' when all he does is mention ale.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

logger posted:

Oh so this was Shakespeare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlpg_rbjxRA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It probably shouldn't but yards in my head are like paved or concrete or whatever.

That has always been my way of thinking too - if it's got more slabs or concrete than grass and flower beds, then it's a yard.