Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Covok posted:

Your link isn't working.

Fixed, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Nessus posted:

I guess you have to turn the question back to be 'what's the purpose of the Intelligence stat?' Like in your intended gameplay environment, what does it do. This is actually, I think, quite a bit harder than doing it for STR/DEX/CON equivalents, because while that divide is arbitrary, you're encompassing the broad space of 'manipulate objects, engage in violence, resist harm/disease/poison'.

When you get down to it, "intelligence" in D&D is basically just a measure of "how good at Wizard are you". Both in the sense of being able to Do Wizardy Magic, which is reliant on rote memorisation and being able to call that forth at a moment's notice, and also how well can you dispense historical/arcane trivia.

So you could probably get by with changing "INT" to "INF", as in "Information". Or "Infodumping", if you like.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Circling back to that game where the three stats were "Warrior", "Rogue", and "Mage"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

When you get down to it, "intelligence" in D&D is basically just a measure of "how good at Wizard are you". Both in the sense of being able to Do Wizardy Magic, which is reliant on rote memorisation and being able to call that forth at a moment's notice, and also how well can you dispense historical/arcane trivia.

So you could probably get by with changing "INT" to "INF", as in "Information". Or "Infodumping", if you like.
The Dying Earth RPG literally has a skill on every sheet called "Pedantry" (it works exactly like you imagine it does).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

The Call of Cthulhu "EDU" stat is more polite to the nerds and poindexters.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019

mellonbread posted:

It's not popular on this site but I used to play there all the time with people from my home discord
The Dune thread is on page 4 currently.

Thats interesting. I think its a great game. And it has a good website. Like why isnt there a steam version of it yet like imperium had?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone else ever feel weird being in TRPGs nowadays and just not giving a single gently caress about Critical Role?

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Covok posted:

Anyone else ever feel weird being in TRPGs nowadays and just not giving a single gently caress about Critical Role?

I've never given a gently caress about them, so yeah I guess?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

zerofiend posted:

I've never given a gently caress about them, so yeah I guess?

People are apparently having "discourse" because Daggerheart isn't perfect or a "D&D killer" and doesn't have the "right to exist if it isn't a 5e killer?" And people are mad because they made a system inspired by Forged In The Dark which, from what I can tell, is just inspired and John Harper said it was fine...and people are mad because they "plagarized it?"

It's weird because I both DO NOT GIVE A poo poo ABOUT THEM and also just have to go "wow, my values are like the exact opposite of these people because my games are never made to be killers and I take full advantage of the fact mechanics can't be copyright and do not care if people copy my poo poo."

Sometimes, I peer in and just feel like I'm in topsy turvy world. So much of the hobby viewing it as the handbag of some actors' show and not, like, games in and of themselves. And just also kind of licking boot for IP in the process.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
John Harper worked on it lol

https://twitter.com/john_harper/status/1768065183271006608

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yeah, that only makes it wilder. I knew someone tried to point out John Harper gave it a pass. If he worked on it, then that's an ever better point.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
daggerheart sounds exactly like every other mediocre heartbreaker and this just breaks people's brains for some reason. a friend of mine offered some extremely mild criticism of it on twitter and had to go private from all the abuse it drew

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ooh well now I gotta get it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

daggerheart sounds exactly like every other mediocre heartbreaker and this just breaks people's brains for some reason. a friend of mine offered some extremely mild criticism of it on twitter and had to go private from all the abuse it drew

Yeah, what tipped me off to this was an review of Candella Obscura from 3 months ago where the guy said he will only be using a script and prefaced it by saying he has been warned against giving a negative review of it as it may lead to death threats. Apparently, the game has no fail state and the reviewer who has a physical disability felt a little insulted that so much of the book was about how it's awful to other people with mental issues and then immediately does so (at least from his perspective and what he showed) people with physical disabilities. The guy claimed to be progressive but always got to take that with a grain of salt, but he seemed sincere. Still, the script part is wild to me and that's what led me down the rabbit hole of finding out how rabid people are about this group of small actors playing story games at the table.

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Covok posted:

Yeah, that only makes it wilder. I knew someone tried to point out John Harper gave it a pass. If he worked on it, then that's an ever better point.

Technically, the BitD clone was Candela Obscura, which does seem to be more or less Blades in the Dark but slightly worse.

John Harper had no involvement but did give it his blessing, and the fact that he went on to do graphic design work for their next game (the D&D heartbreaker) only emphasises that.

Melusine fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 18, 2024

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

Have I got you right? Because if so then yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Yes, you've got me right! Exactly that. :respek:

I'm not sure how exactly I'm getting "DTAS" wrong, but that's a different conversation and not really important, just pretend I didn't use that term if it was confusing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Critical Role has been a master class in developing parasocial relationships, even having their head of public relations wield the fans like a cudgel against people he didn't like until he finally "stepped away" and then was unsurprisingly later outed as a domestic abuser.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
if you are in the ttrpg and aren't 100% plugged into everything the CR people are doing....something is wrong with you morally

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Farg posted:

if you are in the ttrpg and aren't 100% plugged into everything the CR people are doing....something is wrong with you morally

I can see that for Continuing Resolutions if you’re into government work but for Critical Role?

D&D is boring and there’s an infinity of weird rear end games out there worth trying out.

Morally, you’re obligated to explore the space.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah anything critical role does might as well happen on Jupiter as far as it has an effect on my elfgames enjoyment.

Covok
May 27, 2013

The animation was decent, but also I kind of have grown to hate popular actual plays because it makes unrealistic standards on GMs and lead to wild parasocial discourse.

Also, I do find the claim of "We made a game inspired by another game so it's plagarism" comment kind of weird. In this hobby of all industries, you want to say that?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I think I just came from the generation of tradgamers where "nobody wants to hear about your D&D PC or hear lengthy anecdotes from your home game" was accepted social etiquette, so the entire concept of listening to multiple-hour Actual Plays for the purpose of following the stories seems wild to me, even though I know it's no different from watching a TV show or listening to a narrative podcast or whatever. They seem useful as a way to see how new systems work in action, if the table is committed to recording an accurate play experience, but so many of them just seem like wacky D&D-flavored improv comedy until they're turgid D&D-flavored melodrama, and why would I spend my time on that when I could actually play the drat game? Or do anything else?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

The animation was decent, but also I kind of have grown to hate popular actual plays because it makes unrealistic standards on GMs and lead to wild parasocial discourse.

Also, I do find the claim of "We made a game inspired by another game so it's plagarism" comment kind of weird. In this hobby of all industries, you want to say that?

I'm guessing that kind of comment is coming from people who don't know anything about TTRPGs, they're just fans of Critical Role

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Adding the dastardly finishing touch to my plagiarised RPG: a list of all the other games I plagiarised and which mechanics I threw in my big bag labelled SWAG

Covok
May 27, 2013

DoubleDonut posted:

I'm guessing that kind of comment is coming from people who don't know anything about TTRPGs, they're just fans of Critical Role

For the record, I am not carrying water for Critical Role, but the review mentioned they had a ludography and had asked John Harper how he felt. They did it right by the accepted norms of the industry and even went the extra mile of asking the creator. Like, that's what I did for Petmon. So, going "plargism" is some galaxy brained take.

Not going to lie, I do legit think some people saw Hbomberguy's video and took the wrong lessons from it. (I love the old twink, but I'm just saying that video went mainstream and I feel a lot of people didn't get what actually made something plagiarism).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I like listening to Actual Plays - I'd just finished RolePlaying Public Radio's series on Delta Green: Forbidden Landscapes, and I'll admit that I felt a sort of heart-string tug as certain plot points reached their climax in a way that people might describe as "parasocial", but I'm rather particular about which podcasts I do listen to, and I never got into Critical Role specifically.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I listen to a very tiny set of AP groups where it's clear it's much more about playing the game than the audience. (And even then, some of those just don't keep my interest.) It's inescapable that there's at least a little self-consciousness on everyone's part about being recorded, but the most intrusive it tends to get is someone pausing to explain a thing decided between sessions. Like quickly going over any special downtime shopping or how they worked out a confusing rule.

It also helps me vicariously experience games I will never get my group to play, and insulates me from all the problems of finding new groups including my anxiety issues.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I decided to take a look at the Discourse about Daggerfall on Twitter, and there's a lot of annoying fannishness, though I do see some more meaningful discussion as well. A lot of the discourse focuses on the lack of traditional initiative, with the defenders accusing the critics of being unfamiliar with non-5e games and/or being concerned with player spotlight problems that supposedly only arise when playing with assholes, while the critics either bring up player spotlight issues or argue that even if a lack of fixed turn order works in other games, it requires more emotionally mature players than Critical Role fans tend to be. :v:

The most thoughtful criticisms, which I largely agree with, are that the game is an awkward mix of “crunchy”/“traditional” and “rules-light”/“storygame” elements that don’t quite fit together. Basically the same as common criticisms of 13th Age and Dungeon World (not surprising, as 13th Age and Apocalypse World (albeit not Dungeon World) are listed as influences).

I'm surprised I haven't seen more discussion about class identities. The Rogue being a full caster and the Wizard getting traditionally divine magic from the Splendor Domain struck me as bizarre in a game where classes otherwise stick fairly close to their traditional D&D-like identities.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 18, 2024

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

PuttyKnife posted:

I can see that for Continuing Resolutions if you’re into government work but for Critical Role?

D&D is boring and there’s an infinity of weird rear end games out there worth trying out.

Morally, you’re obligated to explore the space.

no. its a huge red flag and very sus

Covok
May 27, 2013

I have released a game with a dice ladder last week. I am working on a fantasy hack for it called Dragon's Fang and someone suggested Chronica Fedualis. So, I bought it. I saw it used a similar dice ladder but had a d20. That seemed like a jump to me.

Then, I remembered, I have a d14 and a d16 in my possession. I checked and there is a d18 on the market. And, let's be honest, digital dice rollers ARE EVERYWHERE. I truly think most people use digital dice rollers instead of physical ones. And, guess what, you can roll any dice on a digital dice roller. They almost always just let you put in whatever dice size that you want.

So, why not go wild? Go granular? Use these weird rear end dice.

Make a dice ladder like this:

DF --> D4 --> D6 --> D8 --> D10 --> D12 --> D14 --> D16 --> D18 --> D20

And, maybe even say something like "if you get stepped up past d20, then you can roll a dice that is the previous size +2 sides." Because, guess what, I checked and D22, D24, D26, D28, and D30s exist. And guess what? Digital dice rollers exist too.

Maybe that last part is too much, but maybe this higher dice ladder might be interesting to represent higher power in this engine I worked on that I called "Dicey Fate."

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

The most thoughtful criticisms, which I largely agree with, are that the game is an awkward mix of “crunchy”/“traditional” and “rules-light”/“storygame” elements that don’t quite fit together. Basically the same as common criticisms of 13th Age and Dungeon World (not surprising, as 13th Age and Apocalypse World (albeit not Dungeon World) are listed as influences).

Interestingly, this is also one of the main criticisms of Candela Obscura—that it differs from Blades in the Dark primarily by adding more "trad" elements back into the system. If it's happened twice, it might be a deliberate decision by their design team, perhaps to try and capture both audiences.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Silver2195 posted:

Some RPGs do have ways to apply Intelligence or similar stats in an "avoids doing dumb things" (Common Sense in GURPS) or "able to deduce things quickly" (Idea rolls in Call of Cthulhu, IIRC) way. Though yeah, most don't, for good reason: it means the GM is playing your character for you. This line of thought is probably why there's no Intelligence stat in Into the Odd.

I have long used (and vaguely disliked having to pay resources for) Common Sense traits in a number of games. To me they provide information that should be given freely unless the point of the game / setting is that it isn't free, for example in an eldritch horror campaign: A communication tool to get on the same page about how the fictional world operates, what sort of outcomes are desirable for characters and entertaining to the table at large, etc.

It boils down to this: players failing to achieve something they set out to do is sad and boring unless you want to point and laugh at your friends. Characters failing to achieve something can be actually funny, dramatic, tragic, even iconic, and all other sorts of entertaining and interesting. The difference between those two is context and framing. Is the failure because of, or in spite of something in the narrative? That's going to make it more engaging. Is the failure due to a disconnect between the player and the narrative? That should be fixed, rather than punishing the character in effigy of the player.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Silver2195 posted:

I decided to take a look at the Discourse about Daggerfall on Twitter, and there's a lot of annoying fannishness, though I do see some more meaningful discussion as well. A lot of the discourse focuses on the lack of traditional initiative, with the defenders accusing the critics of being unfamiliar with non-5e games and/or being concerned with player spotlight problems that supposedly only arise when playing with assholes, while the critics either bring up player spotlight issues or argue that even if a lack of fixed turn order works in other games, it requires more emotionally mature players than Critical Role fans tend to be. :v:

it's kinda funny that we're having to relitigate PBTA-style initiative, except with the added 2024 conspiracism that this was only done in order to allow the group to keep handing initiative to a "star player", because Daggerheart is going to be used for shows.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

my partner has gotten me to tune into critical role 3 times and every single time it has been an interminable shopping episode lol

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Can anyone think of games with dice trick-taking/pool manipulation/poker dice mechanics like the ones found in Kamigakari (which has you roll a d6 Spirit pool at the start of each session, which can then be either swapped with d6 from skill rolls to get the result you want, or used in specific combinations to pay power activation costs, meaning it's in your interest to frequently swap dice into your Spirit pool to get odds/evens/doubles/steps/specific values based on what powers you want to use) or the Japanese Dark Souls RPG (which gives you a Stamina pool that has to be split between Action dice rolled at the start of your turn and Reaction dice kept in reserve to dodge/parry, with actions costing a minimum die value/a number of dice/any doubles)?

I've not seen these in any games I can think of outside of Japanese RPGs, and they're fun.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Covok posted:

I like the cartoon, but have no other context for it. Does that count?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Can anyone think of games with dice trick-taking/pool manipulation/poker dice mechanics like the ones found in Kamigakari (which has you roll a d6 Spirit pool at the start of each session, which can then be either swapped with d6 from skill rolls to get the result you want, or used in specific combinations to pay power activation costs, meaning it's in your interest to frequently swap dice into your Spirit pool to get odds/evens/doubles/steps/specific values based on what powers you want to use) or the Japanese Dark Souls RPG (which gives you a Stamina pool that has to be split between Action dice rolled at the start of your turn and Reaction dice kept in reserve to dodge/parry, with actions costing a minimum die value/a number of dice/any doubles)?

I've not seen these in any games I can think of outside of Japanese RPGs, and they're fun.

Weapons of the Gods/Legends of the Wulin has the River/Lake system, where you can store unused sets of matching dice from your roll to pay for effects or to increase the size of matches on later rolls. And it's not quite what you're describing, but ORE's "wiggle die" effect lets you set one of the dice in your pool to a specific value before you roll.

The cursed answer, of course, is "Cthulhutech uses poker dice."

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

GimpInBlack posted:

Weapons of the Gods/Legends of the Wulin has the River/Lake system, where you can store unused sets of matching dice from your roll to pay for effects or to increase the size of matches on later rolls. And it's not quite what you're describing, but ORE's "wiggle die" effect lets you set one of the dice in your pool to a specific value before you roll.

I'm not sure if Expert/Master dice in ORE really count in my mind since it's just setting a die to a specific result to fish for a specific width/height; I guess it feels like it's not a sufficiently complex mechanic, but I admit that's a little goalpost-shift-y.

I can't believe I forgot about LotW, though.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 18, 2024

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leperflesh posted:

Yes, you've got me right! Exactly that. :respek:

I'm not sure how exactly I'm getting "DTAS" wrong, but that's a different conversation and not really important, just pretend I didn't use that term if it was confusing.
DTAS is about how ability scores in D&D 3.x+ (and related systems) interfere with the other better options already in the game. Everything they theoretically bring to the table is already covered by other existing character creation package deals and customisation options. Hence death to ability scores - just put them out of our misery and we can almost immediately move on.

This doesn't apply to gurps or reign etc because they don't have class + background + archetype + feats desperately waiting to step up after ability scores just gently caress off already. Yeah you could probably replace them with something but they do serve specific, non-redundant functionality so it's not as easy as a quick execution. "Design and implement a system appropriate alternative to ability scores" doesn't have the same ring to it though.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Second session of Twilight 2000: this time it's intel geeks and in our group of six, we kinda have two guys who feel like old school type d&d players, where characters' concern for their subordinates' well being and unwillingness to just desert before everyone else does was seen as some kind of hostility toward the group. Thankfully, the session ended with "you're on your own" but now we're in an HQ full of people who are on their own so the supermarket sweep except everyone has M-16s begins.

Splicer posted:

This doesn't apply to gurps or reign etc because they don't have class + background + archetype + feats desperately waiting to step up after ability scores just gently caress off already. Yeah you could probably replace them with something but they do serve specific, non-redundant functionality so it's not as easy as a quick execution. "Design and implement a system appropriate alternative to ability scores" doesn't have the same ring to it though.

Yeah, i think ability scores make more sense in the context of systems that aren't dumping you these huge packaged things, where characters are built a la carte, in which case it kinda does make sense, whereas in D&D, they're mostly vestigial,