Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

sharkmafia posted:

the circular logic of 'you think i am a giant baby who will fail you out of spite, therefore you fail' it just becomes the equivalent of serie nailing a 'no frieren(s) allowed' sign to the door of her clubhouse. which is her right, but also lmao

They're also both elves and three years for another go is like "gently caress you, see you next week." to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

pork never goes bad posted:

We haven't seen Denken, Methode, Ubel, or Wirbel. Maybe others but I remember those ones.

Also Land.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
quite liked the first half showing the aftermath of some of the people that failed.
alot of chunnin exam arc stuff, you only know the characters when they're fighting, so seeing the earth guy just going back to his day job is cool.

lol Fern, keep at it Stark, your gonna have to get used to her like this.

Love Serie, she plays so hard to get, but how honest she actually is in the end

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

It's remarkably consistent how often Serie is shown completely talking out of her own rear end in back-to-back shots. She seemingly has no understanding of herself, or ability to admit anything to herself.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sachant posted:

It's remarkably consistent how often Serie is shown completely talking out of her own rear end in back-to-back shots. She seemingly has no understanding of herself, or ability to admit anything to herself.

It's like that famous saying: "The unexamined life owns completely lol."

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It’s funny that the OP has this shot that shows the first class mages as these ominous silhouettes like they’re going to be the numerically ranked mini boss squad (one’s the giant stupid one, one’s the creepy serial killer, one’s the “beautiful” dude, etc). Instead they seem like a rather well adjusted group of folks some of whom are pretty nice. Only the guy proctoring the first test was really an rear end in a top hat. And no one actually had a boss battle. It’s like the author isn’t even trying to make a tournament arc!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I love that Serie is just a petty rear end in a top hat who fails Frieren because she's still mad that she said the wrong thing to her in a conversation near a millennium ago. Also she's a hypocrite who'll go off on a big rant about how suppressing your mana is dumb bullshit only idiots would train to do... while suppressing her mana so well nobody's ever noticed besides Fern. Not to mention that for all her talk of how the most important ability for a mage is their imagination, she herself is incapable of imagining anything outside of her own extremely narrow view of what a mage should be, scorning anybody with a different perspective as a failure.

This show is really good at giving extremely strong characterization to characters in minimal screen time.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Sydin posted:

This show is really good at giving extremely strong characterization to characters in minimal screen time.

except laufen, who despite a fair amount of screen time, seemingly has negative characterization

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

except laufen, who despite a fair amount of screen time, seemingly has negative characterization

She likes donuts.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
She's Denken's surrogate granddaughter/donut tester. Give her another year and she'll make Fern look like Grace Jones.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Laufen's a gal who likes being spoiled.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
she showed up at the wrong set during casting and was suppose to be on the naruto stage and just kept showing up

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

junan_paalla posted:

She likes donuts.

But she won't share!

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

Laufen is at least a little notable. The other woman in the testing group with the brown hair, I cannot ever remember. Also mustache guy.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Laufen was willing to take on a huge risk for Denken's sake, as dumb as said risk was, I'm not surprised he's being a nice grandpa of sorts to her after that. I've been stuffed to the gills with sweets for helping out an elderly neighbor before, so I get the dynamic :v:

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Laufen and methode got some additional 'development' in this arc just via the animators giving them distinctive fighting styles that weren't present in the manga

Of course that doesn't extend to how they're written, since the show follows the text of the manga very closely and just inserts/expands action scenes when given the opportunity. I do think doing that makes a big difference, but its not going to turn all of the 20+ new characters in the mage exam arc into masterpieces of characterization

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Laufen is just waiting for an evil grandpa to hand her a slinky dress and make her his villainous #2. Denken was right to step in when he did.

Methode seems to have "jack of all trades" and "common sense" as her schtick, so she'd be a shoe-in for first class if sane people were doing the hiring.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Methode is pretty amazing at mana detection considering her job was to hunt down Fern's clone before it started ganking people.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/BasedLIDA/status/1769423232678174903?s=19

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Sydin posted:

I love that Serie is just a petty rear end in a top hat who fails Frieren because she's still mad that she said the wrong thing to her in a conversation near a millennium ago. Also she's a hypocrite who'll go off on a big rant about how suppressing your mana is dumb bullshit only idiots would train to do... while suppressing her mana so well nobody's ever noticed besides Fern.

Honestly if you want the deception to be perfect you gotta fool your friends as well. Possibly *especially* them, if there's any risk of backstabbing among the first-class.

I also think her criticism was more to the effect of "it takes hundreds of years and Frieren could have used that time more productively by gitting gud", but since she's older (perhaps much older) than Frieren maybe she hit some sort of ceiling where it became a "eh, might as well, I have a few hundred years to kill" sort of thing. But since she seemingly didn't employ that as a tactic against demons one has to wonder why (in which case maybe we get back to the backstabbing thing).

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Serie's also probably frustrated as hell that the one person she could mold into a proper god mage is just like, "Nah. Don't like u." Now she just has to sit back and watch her do her own thing like a dad pissed his son wasn't also into baseball.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Honestly if you want the deception to be perfect you gotta fool your friends as well. Possibly *especially* them, if there's any risk of backstabbing among the first-class.

I also think her criticism was more to the effect of "it takes hundreds of years and Frieren could have used that time more productively by gitting gud", but since she's older (perhaps much older) than Frieren maybe she hit some sort of ceiling where it became a "eh, might as well, I have a few hundred years to kill" sort of thing. But since she seemingly didn't employ that as a tactic against demons one has to wonder why (in which case maybe we get back to the backstabbing thing).

idk it comes off a lot more to me like she's salty Flamme and then later by extension Frieren got one up on her mastering a magic Serie either didn't think of or did but thought was pointless and then after both of them left she mastered it on her own but even better-er.

Also considering how Flamme talked about Serie being bloodthirsty and Serie's repeated showings of disdain for people who are meek and passive, I think she might actually welcome one of her first class mages having a go at usurping her because it'd potentially be an interesting fight.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I think there's a reasonable chance Serie is actually doing something like amplifying her mana so it looks like she has more than she does.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I mean we literally know she's suppressing it though

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Incomplete info, we don't have any way of knowing that for sure.

I like the idea that she's internally DBZ yelling to bulk up and thats why her mana is unstable. She's insecure and needs to make sure everyone knows she's the best.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

NmareBfly posted:

I think there's a reasonable chance Serie is actually doing something like amplifying her mana so it looks like she has more than she does.

Ehhhh. That's technically a possibility based on what we know, but that seems counter to the themes of the show. If Serie was actually amping her mana as a "gently caress you" to Flamme and Frieren's life's work, it would mean she's faking her status. And that doesn't fit with everything we've already seen and heard about her. She's really just that powerful because she's really that much older and experienced.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Unless it turns out that Flamme, Frieren, and Fern's mana control training causes your mana to grow faster than spending all your time learning Firaga and Ultima. And 80 years ago Serie realized Frieren was the better mage than her now, and her hubris could not let that stand.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Mana suppression is something that Frieren and Fern are likely better at than Serie regardless of who is the most powerful. And that makes her mad, so of course Serie must teach herself to do it too.

Possibly.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Turns out the ability to suppress your mana requires a strong ability to scream internally.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

M_Gargantua posted:

Mana suppression is something that Frieren and Fern are likely better at than Serie regardless of who is the most powerful. And that makes her mad, so of course Serie must teach herself to do it too.

Possibly.

I saw it as the opposite.
Serie doing it makes sense because she’s flammes teacher, who taught Frieren it.
Serie explaining it to the other mages is almost exactly how Flamme explains why she does it to fight demons to Frieren.

I think Serie just showed it off as a parlor trick to Flamme originally as a silly mana thing to do, and Flamme ran with it out in the world. Serie calling it an idiotic thing that idiots like someone like Frieren would do is just her character

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Incomplete info, we don't have any way of knowing that for sure.

I like the idea that she's internally DBZ yelling to bulk up and thats why her mana is unstable. She's insecure and needs to make sure everyone knows she's the best.

She was literally the teacher of Flamme, the greatest mage of humanity, who was Frieren's teacher. Why would she put on a front when nothing has indicated she has any kind of pride about her own ability?

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

also like mana is just a reflection of how long a mage spent training. she was already a powerful mage when Frieren started training 1000 years ago, it would be nonsensical for her to have less mana then Frieren

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

VideoWitch posted:

also like mana is just a reflection of how long a mage spent training. she was already a powerful mage when Frieren started training 1000 years ago, it would be nonsensical for her to have less mana then Frieren

That doesn't seem to be how mana works. If it was, then demon heirarchies would be pretty much "the oldest one". Further, we see a number of characters assume Frieren's low results from hiding her mana are reasonable-if-low, despite her being thousands of years old.

It seems mana is a mix of training and innate capability, like a lot of other things. If it wasn't, then no human could ever get close to even a hobbyist elf in the field, and that doesn't seem to be the case.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
I mean yea that is the case kind of, we have the only two elves we seen, and both spent centuries just sitting on the ground or a stone throne just hanging around and no human mage can touch their heels other than the two who are the stars like Flamme and Fran.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

That doesn't seem to be how mana works. If it was, then demon heirarchies would be pretty much "the oldest one". Further, we see a number of characters assume Frieren's low results from hiding her mana are reasonable-if-low, despite her being thousands of years old.

It seems mana is a mix of training and innate capability, like a lot of other things. If it wasn't, then no human could ever get close to even a hobbyist elf in the field, and that doesn't seem to be the case.

Back during the Aura arc Frieren says "Generally speaking, a person's mana increases in proportion to the time spent training." That is how mana works, while there's probably some matter of innateness to it it is primarily the time you have spent training as a mage. Also Aura says Frieren is "an unknown age" but that she has the mana of a centuries worth of training. Like with exception of Serie people don't know how old Frieren is, the most they can figure out is "well she was around 80 years ago."

Mana is just a measurement of how long a mage has trained, not a reflection of skill or talent. Like Frieren literally said she's been beaten by people with less mana then her and that there are other factors in determining how good a mage is

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think over time training eclipses natural capability, especially over a thousand years.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_4v6L-KO5Y

If you wanna listen to one of the frieren OST tracks for 1 hour watch this, but mostly I wanted to post it for the absolute gorgeous fanart it uses

https://wall.alphacoders.com/big.php?i=1340929

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

VideoWitch posted:

Like with exception of Serie people don't know how old Frieren is, the most they can figure out is "well she was around 80 years ago."

It's weird how nobody seems to know these things. Like, Fern doesn't know how Frieren is, or that she was trained by Flamme? Or that Frieren knows Serie? Really? Years spent traveling together and none of these things just happened to come up?

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Like we're literally two episodes out from the scene of Serie telling Frieren that now that humanity has begun to study magic they will eventually reach the point where even with their short lifespans Humans will be able to surpass Elves in terms of skill at magic and had a scene where Frieren tells Serie that time has come at the end of the episode

edit:

Sachant posted:

It's weird how nobody seems to know these things. Like, Fern doesn't know how Frieren is, or that she was trained by Flamme? Or that Frieren knows Serie? Really? Years spent traveling together and none of these things just happened to come up?

I mean Fern does know Frieren was trained by Flamme, that comes up at the start of the series, as for the rest that would require Frieren choosing to volunteer that information, and she basically only chooses to talk about info when it's directly relevant (and usually its just about Himmel)

VideoWitch fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I suspect that the elves don't actually know how old they are. Empires rise and fall, calendars are imposed and forgotten. Is Frieren a thousand by the Gregorian calendar? Or does she just vaguely remember hearing about some jackhole named Gregor decreeing a new calendar?

Squidster fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 18, 2024