Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

grobbo
May 29, 2014
The Corbyn coverage that will always stick with me, although it goes against the grain of most of this stuff, was early on when a Daily Mail grandee (might have been Quentin Letts?) went to one of his rallies and reported back, with a kind of confused awe, that he'd witnessed Jez stop and pet a dog, just like a real human being.

Today's big news on Twitter seems to be that everyone's decided Charles is dead now, largely just because wouldn't it be funny if it happened on St Patrick's Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

grobbo posted:

The Corbyn coverage that will always stick with me, although it goes against the grain of most of this stuff, was early on when a Daily Mail grandee (might have been Quentin Letts?) went to one of his rallies and reported back, with a kind of confused awe, that he'd witnessed Jez stop and pet a dog, just like a real human being.

Today's big news on Twitter seems to be that everyone's decided Charles is dead now, largely just because wouldn't it be funny if it happened on St Patrick's Day.

Not the same anecdote but a similar level of derangement

https://twitter.com/Angry_Voice/status/1453261821901672450?t=rzBlRWEVwsNtESWC_ia7FA&s=19

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

should have worn a bow-tie

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

That’s a nicely cropped picture of Charles Moore too, a man I have famously never seen without a tie.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sRoYvFTE3c

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

This came on after the initial "he never wears a tie!!!" hysteria when Corbyn first got made LOTO. It didn't last long since he started wearing a tie, I assume at the urging of some pr team. Afaik he basically never wore a tie until shortly after becoming LOTO if he could help it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
He should have worn a bolo tie and a silk scarf on alternate days to confuse the commentators.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I am here for silk Cravat Comrade Corbin.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:siren: KATE IS ALIVE! :siren:

(but everyone forgot to take a photo)

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
kate, seen in autumn,

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

WhatEvil posted:

Supposedly part of the "U" vs "Non-U" thing is to do with using French root words or not. Using Frenchy words is apparently a thing that the proles do/did to try to seem posh.

So that's why "Lavatory" and "Pardon" and "Preserve" etc. are non-U.

The more you go down this rabbit hole of "words with U in it" the stranger it gets.

I studied at the Honorable Society of the King's Inns.
On our first week it was explained to us that the Institution was established by Royal Charter in 1541 by King Henry VIII.

As part of this, because we were super awesome we were given the regal privilege of....being allowed spell Honourable in our name without the U.
Because back then that was the mark of greatness, before the Americans would come along and spoil that.

To this day if you look at the King's Inns logo it has the word "Honorable" in it.

This was explained to us on our first week because our student IT'S said "Honourable" and they had to explain why this was in fact a typo.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Corbyn hysteria for me started with the outrage over the lack of depth in his bow at the Cenotaph shortly after he became Labour leader. One of the rags (so all newspapers) put forward a diagram detailing the correct angle to bow.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fuctifino posted:

Yeah I hear rigor mortis makes you smile

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gorn Myson posted:

Corbyn hysteria for me started with the outrage over the lack of depth in his bow at the Cenotaph shortly after he became Labour leader. One of the rags (so all newspapers) put forward a diagram detailing the correct angle to bow.
It's amazing how all this poppylore came about around angles of bowing and setting the leaf on the poppy to 11am and all that recently.

When if you go decades back among people who actually served it was more like "wear it from the sunday before to the sunday after and if you do it outside of that you're a show-off and a prick" which is the one cardinal rule all the poppy fans forget now.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

wares yore

fakkin

POPPY

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Occasionally in this thread and when I go shopping in a supermarket, I see the front pages of the mainstream papers and I am just loving bewildered at how utterly dumb and badly designed they are. It is such an affront to the senses that it veers into parody. Just the dumbest possible shite on virtually every cover that a quick glance would make you'd think you were looking at the gossip rags next to the sweets at the checkout rather than how a significant chunk of the UK gets its news.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Papers, TV news and social media are all just trying to grab your attention and keep it, so they all converge on the same tactics to do that.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Gorn Myson posted:

The thing is, almost all the stuff mentioned above coincided with Corbyn’s general rise in the polls. It wasn't working. I suspect if you go back to Blair’s first campaign you could find similar tabloid nonsense said about him.

What did work was a campaign by the Labour right wing. Perhaps 20% of the Parliamentary Labour Party, but including frontbenchers and former ministers, were determined to ensure he lost the election. The tabloids were happy to print the stuff they wrote with that goal, and so the BBC were arguably obliged to report on it.

And even so it was a close run thing.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'm the ended web rumours

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

frytechnician posted:

Occasionally in this thread and when I go shopping in a supermarket, I see the front pages of the mainstream papers and I am just loving bewildered at how utterly dumb and badly designed they are. It is such an affront to the senses that it veers into parody. Just the dumbest possible shite on virtually every cover that a quick glance would make you'd think you were looking at the gossip rags next to the sweets at the checkout rather than how a significant chunk of the UK gets its news.

Other than the FT, which does actual useful analysis in the Adam Smith sense that half of the audience are free market ghouls briefly looking up from eating their kin like that painting of Saturn but they too actually want to know what's going on, I'm glad that the rest are going down the shitter.

Probably to be replaced by QAnon and racist (formerly known as Twitter)s, but you get what you get.

The Question IRL posted:

Look at this guy, not knowing that the Irish are experts at coming up with reasons why you can drink during Lent but still have it count.

(Paddy's Day being a counter to Lent is the most obvious one. But depending on who you talk to, Mother's Day, your Birthday and the day when Ireland win the Grand Slam at Rugby are all days when you can drink and still be fine for Lent.)

Brought to you by the country that classified Geese as a type of barnacle, so they were okay to eat.
Morning after Paddy's Day, in coffee, doesn't count as drinking because it is medicinal. :coffeepal:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well it wasn't just the Labour right, it was also the media constantly suggesting that Jeremy "Holocaust II" Corbyn was personally going door to door in Golders Green calling people slurs.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Other than the FT, which does actual useful analysis in the Adam Smith sense that half of the audience are free market ghouls briefly looking up from eating their kin like that painting of Saturn but they too actually want to know what's going on, I'm glad that the rest are going down the shitter.

Probably to be replaced by QAnon and racist (formerly known as Twitter)s, but you get what you get.

Morning after Paddy's Day, in coffee, doesn't count as drinking because it is medicinal. :coffeepal:

i severely doubt the metro is that well read, i never see anyone reading it even though there are dozens piled high right next to station entrances

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Well it wasn't just the Labour right, it was also the media constantly suggesting that Jeremy "Holocaust II" Corbyn was personally going door to door in Golders Green calling people slurs.

The ability to disbelieve things written in the tabloids is not a superpower unique to you.

If you look the history of any gunpowder era battle, both sides would always be firing at each other, win or lose. When one nominal ally switches sides and unexpectedly starts shooting from the flank, that is very likely to be decisive.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

The same media that a few years earlier was calling Ed Miliband "a North London geek who is bad at sports" and counting the number of kitchens that he has in his suspiciously Jewish house.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

fuctifino posted:

Kate Middleton?! At this time of year, at this time of day, in this part of the country, localized entirely within this farm shop!? May we see her?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Necrothatcher posted:

Kate Middleton?! At this time of year, at this time of day, in this part of the country, localized entirely within this farm shop!? May we see her?

Of course:

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Or Telegraph columnists going on national radio and say that the MP for Islington North, leader of the Labour Party, member of the Privy Council and head of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition "wants to reopen Auschwitz", given the chance to walk that back as hyperbole and doubling down on it...and apparently suffering zero consequences.

Or (in the line of Quentin Letts being amazed that Corbyn liked dogs), that photo of Corbyn with his arm around the shoulder of a Grenfell survivor in a moment of genuine human sympathy had people going "Look, he's such a psychopath, pretending to have emotions and care about people for the cameras!" Which like so many of their issues with the man and his ideas, said far more about themselves and the people they consort with than the target.

Corbyn Derangement Syndrome was weird and a bit scary to encounter in person. My Dad's neighbour at the time would often be invited round for dinner and on the mention of Corbyn (not by me) this usually affable and level-headed man started going on about how he genuinely feared that if Corbyn was PM he would start a nuclear war because he had such an unstable temper and was too stupid to negotiate properly with other world leaders, so would press the Trident button when he was backed into a corner.

Which was certainly...different to the usual criticisms that Corbyn was a pinko pacifist who would turn our Vanguard submarines trans and give the Falklands to Putin or whatever. Like some real world case of Nuclear Ghandi.

Then the neighbour went puce in the face and began almost screaming about how his dad didn't risk his life over Germany in Bomber Command for someone like Corbyn to be Prime Minister.

Just so bizarre that the presence of a man who basically wanted to bring about a socio-economic system that's the norm in most of Europe, and many aspects of which existed in the UK within living memory, just melted so many people's brains. 50 years of media poisoning, purestrain self interest and a refusal to consider the possibility that they'd bought into a huge lie, I guess.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:siren:OFCOM HAS DONE A THING! :siren:

https://twitter.com/Ofcom/status/1769673250026475816

If GBNews repeats the same breaches, then OFCOM might actually do another toothless thing that will have no effect

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

five news programmes broke the rules, but lucky for you we operate a “𝑛 strikes policy” where 𝑛 is always one more than the number of rule breaches

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

fuctifino posted:

:siren:OFCOM HAS DONE A THING! :siren:

https://twitter.com/Ofcom/status/1769673250026475816

If GBNews repeats the same breaches, then OFCOM might actually do another toothless thing that will have no effect

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I found the Ofcom page listing the available sanctions

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice
If an MP to the left of Pinochet appeared on TV in the same way, they'd have wound up face first in a drainage ditch less than an hour after they left the station courtesy of her majesty's finest. Instead, we allow JRM, a person raised by a loving nanny, to walk around scot-free like that's a trait that's remotely defensible. Wonderful country so it is

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Make the same MPs go on a real TV station to list the rules they breached and apologise

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

GBNews will broadcast statutory corrections at 3:57am every morning

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Kate Middleton came out but saw her own shadow so six more years of austerity for the UK.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The first three are toothless, but the last two would allow Ofcom to shut GBeebies down completely. Which they should do, of course, but probably won't - at least not while the Tories are still in power.

The Saviour
Feb 19, 2006

fuctifino posted:

Of course:

She's dead.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jel Shaker posted:

i severely doubt the metro is that well read, i never see anyone reading it even though there are dozens piled high right next to station entrances
That shows circulation, not sales though right? Ages ago in the thread someone explained how the Metro frequently conflates the two because they give it away free on trains. The Sun tried something similar a few years ago by distributing a free copy to every house in the country (think it was either thatchers death or the queen's jubilee?) and it went straight in the bin unread.

E: The point being they were boasting about how high their circulation was for a while after, I think.

The interesting thing about that graph is that the i is the only one that seems to have gone up, and also how much everything loving cratered in 2020.

fuctifino posted:

Of course:

Should have had one of the kids creepy faces from that photoshop lazily pasted over Brenda's, then it's twitter ready.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 18, 2024

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Should have had one of the kids creepy faces from that photoshop lazily pasted over Brenda's, then it's twitter ready.

Go the other direction, replace all the royals' faces with Brenda's, Aphex Twin style:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!