Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

yea ok posted:

i'm pretty invested in a lot of wrestlers in aew. i have what scientists call "object permanence", so when a wrestler is downcycled, i don't suddenly forget everything that happened beforehand

yeah, but imagine how cool it would be if someone is doing cool stuff and getting over, you could be like "hell yeah can't wait to tune in next week to see what they're doing", instead of them potentially just vanishing for a while.

Outside of PPVs, I've just stopped watching AEW because of how frustrating and inconsistent the booking is.

NienNunb posted:

Stokely, Claudio, and my baby boy Kyle are very good

Stokely is cool but outside of leading a lovely faction that just quietly dissolved and chasing Statlander around, he hasn't done anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

3 or 4 WWE people have acted really loving weird and were or are waiting or angling to go back to WWE asap. the rest are in good spots, better spots than they were, or about the same but not particularly good wrestlers

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I can't believe Stokely has been killed by being on TV and on commentary more weeks than not, being ROH GM, and running a story with two of the most popular women on the roster. If only he was still with Brutus loving Creed.

Edit: Also calling Stokely a WWE guy is so funny.

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 18, 2024

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Fish Of Doom posted:

Outside of PPVs, I've just stopped watching AEW because of how frustrating and inconsistent the booking is.

Wrestling exists to be watched and to be followed week to week. It's no wonder you're missing things if you aren't actually watching and drawing your own conclusions.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Complaining about a wrestling show you don't like and don't watch is a time honored tradition going back as long as the internet has existed.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I can't believe Stokely has been killed by being on TV and on commentary more weeks than not, being ROH GM, and running a story with two of the most popular women on the roster. If only he was still with Brutus loving Creed.

Edit: Also calling Stokely a WWE guy is so funny.

RoH doesn't exist. They made it up to sell you expensive sunglasses.

I think "Stokely is underutilized for his level of talent" is a fair complaint tbh. The Statlander/Willow thing has been in quicksand for weeks and is at the end of the day, a midcard storyline, although with Mone involved maybe it'll be more than that.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Seems like we need to bring back the AEW Asylum thread

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
In fairness, most of Stokely's dead ends in AEW have just been bad luck. The Firm was supposed to be in a program with MJF and CM Punk, Punk specifically wanted to work with Stokely. But that all fell apart and The Firm started feuding with the loving Hardys, good lord, that sucked. Then I think he managed Jade Cargill for a bit and that went absolutely nowhere because everything Jade did in AEW was a pointless black hole except for her first match and her last two matches. And now he's in this Statlander storyline which.....I dunno. Whatever. Statlander as a heel might be something? But it still feels like he'd be better off attached to some main event heel.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

stokely is funny on twitter but i've never been too impressed with him as a character. sorry to stokely. your tweets are still funny!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I liked the one where he paid Tanahashi 75 dollars to break MJF's legs.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

MJeff posted:

RoH doesn't exist. They made it up to sell you expensive sunglasses.

I think "Stokely is underutilized for his level of talent" is a fair complaint tbh. The Statlander/Willow thing has been in quicksand for weeks and is at the end of the day, a midcard storyline, although with Mone involved maybe it'll be more than that.

That's what I'm hoping for. If Mone turns, it could be good to have him added to her act. I do think that he could do more - like, he should be over the shows at least as much as Callis was back when Callis was constantly on commentary because literally every time he's on TV he's either doing something extremely funny or extremely interesting, but I'm a fan of his interactions with both Willow and Stat. Something should have advanced after the chain spot though.

I also do agree with yea ok in that he's very funny on Twitter in ways that don't always translate to a TV character but I don't think it's impossible to translate because he's very good.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

stokely doesnt get enough mic time

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

That's what I'm hoping for. If Mone turns, it could be good to have him added to her act. I do think that he could do more - like, he should be over the shows at least as much as Callis was back when Callis was constantly on commentary because literally every time he's on TV he's either doing something extremely funny or extremely interesting, but I'm a fan of his interactions with both Willow and Stat. Something should have advanced after the chain spot though.

I also do agree with yea ok in that he's very funny on Twitter in ways that don't always translate to a TV character but I don't think it's impossible to translate because he's very good.

his freak out when stat asked him to be civil with willow was rly funny

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Mercedes is in that weird spot where she has a ton of charisma but isn't the best actual talker, so when the babyface shine wears off a bit, pairing Stokely with her would probably be good.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Too much fake hate lately. MJeff having to carry the torch for the earnest true haters who know what they're talking about. Ruby Soho as an example of Tony down cycling people is crazy because she's on TV right now. And in one of the most WWE rear end stories. But hey, tiny con can't use people and can't tell stories

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

Too much fake hate lately. MJeff having to carry the torch for the earnest true haters who know what they're talking about. Ruby Soho as an example of Tony down cycling people is crazy because she's on TV right now. And in one of the most WWE rear end stories. But hey, tiny con can't use people and can't tell stories

It really is extremely bad.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Jokely Goaway

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

yea ok posted:

stokely is funny on twitter but i've never been too impressed with him as a character. sorry to stokely. your tweets are still funny!

that’s like 5 or 6 guys in aew

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

fish of doom doesnt watch aew they just skim recaps and pretend to know what they are talking about

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Fish Of Doom posted:

It's honestly kind of wild. Other than Swerve, Toni Storm, Danielson, and Joe, everyone who came over from WWE during that 2021-22 period has been just killed.

Keith Lee is dead, Miro is on another planet, Malakai and Buddy are jokes, Andrade said "gently caress this", Ruby is non-existant, Taya and Athena are banished to ROH, Roddy was an actual joke character until about a month ago, Claudio has been ok I guess, Stokley is completely irrelevant.

Cole is featured at least, but was also in two of the worst feuds all of last year.

It's impossible to get invested in any wrestlers in this company, because outside of like 10 guys, who knows when someone could just vanish for months.

Ruby is on the show all the time

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Doing terrible content

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I prefer her doing WWE on rampage to mjf doing it on dynamite

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ty to shannon sharpe man for providing your own closed captioning

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If Ruby needs to leave for them to abandon ship on/get rid of Saraya (and her brother now I guess lmao), then packeth thy bags

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Cavauro posted:

ty to shannon sharpe man for providing your own closed captioning

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Oh Ruby's been great. 6 months in the slow build to getting fingered by Angelo Parker

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ruby sucks. Can’t promo. Can’t wrestle. Send her packing

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I liked the Ruby And Angelo Want To gently caress story, it was harmless goofery when it was on Rampage, but extremely cringe on Dynamite. But now that we're bringing in Saraya's lovely family and not even the good wrestlers in Saraya 's lovely family uhhh yeah dunno about that bruv.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Saraya bout your drat brother

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

keithy george posted:

Oh Ruby's been great. 6 months in the slow build to getting fingered by Angelo Parker

this is cinema!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

MJeff posted:

I liked the Ruby And Angelo Want To gently caress story, it was harmless goofery when it was on Rampage, but extremely cringe on Dynamite. But now that we're bringing in Saraya's lovely family and not even the good wrestlers in Saraya 's lovely family uhhh yeah dunno about that bruv.

Seems like a lot of tv time, rampage or not, for a bunch of people who never loving wrestle.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Is it? It's like 45 seconds a week.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Looking into it, Ruby has had three matches this year. For the previous few years going back to about 2019 she averaged between 30-40 matches a year. Her last match was in February. Now, I'll always be a fan of hers because I saw her last match on the indies, but dedicating a few seconds a week to a silly, if meandering storyline doesn't seem so bad to me, when most people aren't exactly enamoured with her wrestling and this has a bit of entertainment value. I don't even hate bringing in Saraya's brother to the angle because it's ultimately pretty low stakes and a bit of fun that I'm not paying too much attention to. It's like, I dunno, she could wrestle more (and the soft 2.0 split is also a bit weird) but then when she wrestles people complain because she isn't entertaining for a lot of people so :shrug:

Though it's weird that the match between Ang and Zack Knight got bumped off the card, right? Am I imagining that it was announced and then changed on the show, or was it never official? Saraya's brother was a pretty bad (funny) promo. "OIM NOT GONNA WRESTLE YEH, IM GONNA FIGHT YEH. BUT NOT HERE. IN CANADA. THE QUEEN"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

WWE fans complaining about 45 seconds every 3 shows going to a romance angle where no one wrestles 🤣🤣🤣

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Ruby stuff has been worth it for the sheer derangement of Harley.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

never watch it but rampage sounds wild these days

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Fish Of Doom posted:

It's honestly kind of wild. Other than Swerve, Toni Storm, Danielson, and Joe, everyone who came over from WWE during that 2021-22 period has been just killed.

Keith Lee is dead, Miro is on another planet, Malakai and Buddy are jokes, Andrade said "gently caress this", Ruby is non-existant, Taya and Athena are banished to ROH, Roddy was an actual joke character until about a month ago, Claudio has been ok I guess, Stokley is completely irrelevant.

Cole is featured at least, but was also in two of the worst feuds all of last year.

It's impossible to get invested in any wrestlers in this company, because outside of like 10 guys, who knows when someone could just vanish for months.

Stokley being a silly manager man on ROH and AEW *is* his spot, i'm not sure he was ever expected to be anything but an excellent midcard heel manager?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Saraya bout your drat brother

Replace both Knights with James Storm.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

The Ruby stuff has been worth it for the sheer derangement of Harley.

yea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

listen. you're not going to want to bother reading this. but I've never seen Harley before