Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Dial911 posted:

I wish the Sinfest dude would pick a lane already, his comics have no coherence at all behind whatever the outrage of the day is in Nazi Town . Frankly, I'm amazed that his fans can even comprehend his meandering bullshit.

Current Tatsuya reminds me of 2000's David Duke, when he was big on making friends with muslims because they were "conservative, anti-communist, family-centered" people, and thus he was big on hyping Palestinian causes for a while to push back against the evil jews.

Then 9/11 happened and he still tried for a bit, but the writing was on the wall (getting his crew to cheer for anyone brown-coded and non-christian was always borderline insane) and he and the other nazis pivoted to Russia being the Great White Hope to renew the West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

idonotlikepeas posted:

Marty Two Bulls

Oh, cmon Marty. If anything the you should feel some kinship with the Irish. The Choctaw sure did when they raised money for the Irish Potato Famine.

sorry but im reading this as being like "Heh, the irish are just some more white people and im gonna make fun of them"

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
It's a bit uncharitable, but that's fine, St. Patrick's Day is the day in which everyone else takes the piss out of Being Irish (because suddenly everybody's Irish), and that's a-ok. Feel a bit bad for the lad, though, he must be nursing a hangover from the pre-drinking the night before, 's left him in a sour mood.

(that, and it's a bit of a solid joke, using the St. Patrick's Day phenomenon wherein suddenly everyone discovers they're part Irish, did you know, to draw a parallel to the 'I'm ACTUALLY 1/16th Cherokee' that Native Americans/First Nations people have to put up with year round, it just comes off a bit mean-spirited due to the expressions, rather than the two of them sharing a moment of solidarity over putting up with that crap)

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

idonotlikepeas posted:

NEMØ

I have no idea why it took NEMØ this long to get around to this one.

Hey, sometimes it takes a while to make the correct AI prompt.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

It would've worked better as a three panel

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

TremorX posted:

It would've worked better as a three panel

:perfect:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Apple Pie Hubbub fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 18, 2024

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

This says way more about Fishman than I think he realizes.

There is no way that man is any kind of athlete whatsoever so it's really just another incredibly on-the-nose example of conservatives thinking the most slovenly man can beat a lifelong pro athlete woman. They definitely care about women's sports!

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Vib Rib posted:

There is no way that man is any kind of athlete whatsoever so it's really just another incredibly on-the-nose example of conservatives thinking the most slovenly man can beat a lifelong pro athlete woman. They definitely care about women's sports!
Literally the plot of Lady Ballers

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
This does make me curious; for a period of time trans fearmongering was an effective wedge move from the Repubicans, particularly downticket. I've seen a move to broader anti-DEI, anti-"positive discrimination" rhetorical frameworks, but it still seems like some parts of the apparatus are still banging the school athletics and trans people are pedos drum. I can't tell if it's still effective, or just a function of the message getting a life of its own.

Dial911
Mar 18, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY LORD AND SAVIOR!!!

the_steve posted:

He is our new, and worse, Galatianman

He doesn't really have to try to make a point, because anyone who actually does unironically like his comics will read them and have a sensible Nazi chuckle about how it's true, the Jews are trying to turn children into trans prostitutes.
He doesn't need to make any coherent argument because IYKYK already.

You hit the nail on the head here I think, not just for Tats, but all these comics have devolved to the point where if you aren't tuned into the right-wing outrage and conspiracy of the day then the comic makes no sense. Relying on "IYKYK" to make your point or joke then you're only preaching to the choir and nobody else cares or gets it. At that point why even make them, the whole endeavor is essentially moot.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Dial911 posted:

You hit the nail on the head here I think, not just for Tats, but all these comics have devolved to the point where if you aren't tuned into the right-wing outrage and conspiracy of the day then the comic makes no sense. Relying on "IYKYK" to make your point or joke then you're only preaching to the choir and nobody else cares or gets it. At that point why even make them, the whole endeavor is essentially moot.

It still confirms and intensifies the existing beliefs of the ingroup.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Send a Consequence-Free Uncommitted Message, Sorta

Ted Rall posted:

Don’t take a risk! Don’t take a chance! Don’t say a thing. Just pretend to care by joining a lame demonstration of protest that will not change a goddamn thing.

First Dog on the Moon: We see the smoke on the horizon first, then the text messages start – Bushfire Emergency Warning!

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwwyn

Andy Marlette

Chip Bok

John Deering

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

"Polititian"

Steve Breen

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

Kellies Nomination: Laziest Non-Gorrell. Tom clearly passed out drunk watching Ghostbusters, woke up, realised he had a cartoon to draw, and put absolutely zero effort into any kind of visual gag or wordplay.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah? The only 'up to birth' abortions are cases where the alternative would result in far worse things happening, so how about shutting the gently caress up Al?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

what kind of hosed up viewing angle is this. you're going to give yourself a neck injury

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

what kind of hosed up viewing angle is this. you're going to give yourself a neck injury

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Skios posted:

Andy Marlette

Huh. That's a very Junji Ito's Gyo-esque Trump.

That's it, that's all I wanted to point out.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

Kellies Nomination: Laziest Non-Gorrell. Tom clearly passed out drunk watching Ghostbusters, woke up, realised he had a cartoon to draw, and put absolutely zero effort into any kind of visual gag or wordplay.

He's a democratically elected official being busted by democracybusters i.e. fascists, and for some reason it makes him feel good. Maybe that is Stig's attempt to kink shame Biden?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (Transphobia)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also I recently found out that that happened a grand total of once, and it was a Nazi during the Hitler Olympics in Berlin '36, and it went, well...

Guavanaut posted:

Currently reading Sexing the Body: Gender Politics and the Construction of Sexuality, the new 2020 version has a whole bit on trans rights and current thinking on gender identity later on, but you need to read the 2000 part mostly about intersectional feminism and intersex issues first to know what she's talking about, and there's a chunk in there about how the state and institutions formalized and upheld the sex binary using fears of women voting, men in women's sports, same sex marriage, etc. (that's where the Mrs. Norman sexologist was from).

quote:

The members of the International Olympic Committee remain convinced that a more scientifically advanced method of testing will be able to reveal the true sex of each athlete. But why is the IOC so worried about sex testing? In part, IOC rules reflect cold war political anxieties: during the 1968 Olympics, for instance, the IOC instituted “scientific” sex testing in response to rumors that some Eastern European competitors were trying to win glory for the Communist cause by cheating—having men masquerade as women to gain unfair advantage. The only known case of a man infiltrating women’s competition occurred back in 1936 when Hermann Ratjen, a member of the Nazi Youth, entered the women’s high-jump competition as “Dora.” His maleness didn’t translate into much of an advantage: he made it to the finals, but came in fourth, behind three women.
So the grand IOC fear
  • Is from an anti-Communist conspiracy theory from the 60s
  • Only actually happened once, and that was a literal Nazi
  • The nazi fell on his rear end and lost

In summary, gently caress off Ramirez, reheating 60 year old Bircher conspiracies.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Aoi posted:

(that, and it's a bit of a solid joke, using the St. Patrick's Day phenomenon wherein suddenly everyone discovers they're part Irish, did you know, to draw a parallel to the 'I'm ACTUALLY 1/16th Cherokee' that Native Americans/First Nations people have to put up with year round, it just comes off a bit mean-spirited due to the expressions, rather than the two of them sharing a moment of solidarity over putting up with that crap)

Yeah, this strikes me as being the more likely interpretation. Because what is depicted is actually a thing that happens, people declaring themselves to be Irish because of a single distant ancestor, even though they have nothing to do with the culture. I guess the difference is that 'Irish Americans' usually do at least have some Irish ancestry, whereas with the people (white or black) who claim to be descended from a 'Cherokee princess' it often turns out through DNA testing that they have literally no native ancestry at all.

Maybe there was author commentary when he originally made this cartoon in 2019, I don't know if he just reposts it every St. Patrick's Day or what

Discendo Vox posted:

This does make me curious; for a period of time trans fearmongering was an effective wedge move from the Repubicans, particularly downticket. I've seen a move to broader anti-DEI, anti-"positive discrimination" rhetorical frameworks, but it still seems like some parts of the apparatus are still banging the school athletics and trans people are pedos drum. I can't tell if it's still effective, or just a function of the message getting a life of its own.

More effective than pushing the 'traditional' ethical issues like abortion, which has a clear tendency to blow up in their faces in 2024, but probably still not very effective with the general public. I think this sort of thing where they imply, or explicitly state, that being trans is heinous and unnatural in itself has always been vaguely distasteful to anyone who is not fully committed to being anti-trans, even on the right. That's why, to get any traction, the people who do push this narrative now have to frame it in broader culture war terms where all trans people are far left activists who want to force people (especially children!) to do this or that.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 18, 2024

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The last time "nefarious man steals women's thunder" in swimming came up I recall that the person in question wasn't even in the top 3?

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Send a Consequence-Free Uncommitted Message, Sorta

Rall won't tackle anything as tricky as drawing an elbow but he works hard to be stupid enough to look at Biden's serious danger of alienating his voterbase because of his support for Israel and determine that actually protesting something is just slacktivist nonsense, or that strikes don't work or last after the UAW and Hollywood strikes of 2023. Literal head in the ground blindness.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Guavanaut posted:

Also I recently found out that that happened a grand total of once, and it was a Nazi during the Hitler Olympics in Berlin '36, and it went, well...

In summary, gently caress off Ramirez, reheating 60 year old Bircher conspiracies.

Impressive that he managed to latch on to a false conspiracy about Communist countries committing fuckery involving their Olympic athletes given what happened in East Germany.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Doomykins posted:

The last time "nefarious man steals women's thunder" in swimming came up I recall that the person in question wasn't even in the top 3?
The last Summer Olympics had a trans woman on the weightlifting team for…New Zealand? And she didn’t even place after like a month solid of outrage that she’d sweep the whole event.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Doomykins posted:

Riley Gaines, who's the big one complaining these days, tied for fifth with the trans person she's so up in arms about existing. It's all a grift.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Never forget that Shapiro admitted on air that he wanted to make Lady Ballers a documentary, but they literally couldn't find a single women's sports league that didn't require at least some degree of transition.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Neito posted:

Riley Gaines, who's the big one complaining these days, tied for fifth with the trans person she's so up in arms about existing. It's all a grift.
Yeah she had no future in sports, and thus she pivoted hard into transphobic punditry.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Doomykins posted:

You're probably thinking of Lia Thomas, who did win the women's 500 yard freestyle in an NCAA championship in March 2022, but didn't win anything else there and her only other top three finish was in a preliminary round. Her winning 500 yard time was over nine seconds slower than the women's record for the distance, and also appears to be the only first place finish she's ever achieved.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

And the NCAA banned trans women that went through wrong puberty as kids, so she hasn’t been able to compete again.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Nicola Jennings on Russia’s election – Vladimir Putin is poised to tighten his grip on power with an expected landslide victory in the continuing presidential poll"

Telegraph:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Tories downplay ‘plot’ to replace Rishi Sunak with Penny Mordaunt

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Discendo Vox posted:

dei is just the new "politically correct", it's a separate thing than the transpanic, not meant to supplant it just support it. they can do both.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Transgender issues were always a wedge issue to give them ground to re-litigate broader LGBT issues. You already had a Justice musing about overturning Lawrence or Obergefell when taking down Roe.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Pants Donkey posted:

Christ the racism on display. “Haiti was doing great until the slavers got killed :smith:” is a hell of a take.

I have been begging over the phone with family who are in hiding from fos revolisyone g9 or trying to find their way north to cap haitien or gonaives or anywhere with relative "stability" from the turf wars, begging them to spend the day safe every day cause all it takes is one bad day or one bad walk down the wrong road at the wrong time, and i have to at least partially admire how this soulless witch manages a circus act to misconstrue every aspect of haiti's past and present crisis all at once to make absolutely sure she gets the worst possible take in

like, that's commitment. stand before God and say i will willy wonka all of politics and history if needs be if that's what it take to maximize the racism slider on my boomer cartoon even just one pixel

but may i make sure to point out that my favorite hidden racism in the whole thing, see, the part where because jimmy bbq cherizier is a black figure, it opens up the convention of putting his political cartoon label on some big fat olympic medal rear end gold bling necklace, see, caught em on their black identity stereotypes era, thats some Mr T poo poo. I fuckin see u tinatoons

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Like seriously thank you for finding such pure unsullied ragebait. That poo poo burns smokeless. I'm actually mad now. It is, and i mean this, a GREAT find. World class

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Anne Ruston’s dumping from SA’s top Senate spot reignites debate about Liberal party’s ‘women problem’ (Guardian). Anne Ruston is one of the most senior women left in the Liberal party and Antic is a conservative backbencher who wants a fight on trans rights and argued that gender is a "grievance narrative".

Rowe:

Wilcox:

Knight:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

InsertPotPun posted:

dei is just the new "politically correct", it's a separate thing than the transpanic, not meant to supplant it just support it. they can do both.

Yeah, it's not that republicans are anywhere close to changing their stance or rhetoric on trans people, it's just we've reached the point of the election cycle where there's a lot of talk about illegal immigration, while simultaneously Charlie Kirk has figured out that you can absolutely get away with complaining about having to live alongside black people, you just gotta frame it right. So it's less that they care less about trans people, but now they're given less airtime because there are other minorities to bitch about as well. The moral panic may have lost focus just due to it being an election year, but it probably isn't going away anytime soon.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Trapezium Dave posted:

:australia:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Ah yes, President Putii

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Philly homicides:

2021: 562
2022: 514
2023: 410

I know that it's not supposed to be literal, but it's wrong on every possible level, not just the literal one. The numbers are trending the other way from the implication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!
"Throw Another Epilogue On The Fire"