Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

swickles posted:

So the King is dead right? They are just waiting to announce it on not-St. Patrick's Day to avoid giving the Irish Sozin's Comet powers right?

If he is dead, then it confirms my theory that when he said he was going to treat his cancer with poultices and leeches or whatever, he’d been told it was terminal.

https://x.com/jjoque/status/1769561286365397375?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

If he is dead, then it confirms my theory that when he said he was going to treat his cancer with poultices and leeches or whatever, he’d been told it was terminal.

Nah, it was something I only picked up recently but King Charles has got what passes as a granola streak for a royal, he’s developed and worked on some stuff in the past that tracks with going the Steve Jobs route on cancer.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lol

fuctifino posted:

:siren: KATE IS ALIVE! :siren:

(but everyone forgot to take a photo)

harperdc posted:

Nah, it was something I only picked up recently but King Charles has got what passes as a granola streak for a royal, he’s developed and worked on some stuff in the past that tracks with going the Steve Jobs route on cancer.

You’d have to think there’s something in the contract or agreement or whatever they have that stipulates they don’t get to go out on their own terms. God knows Elizabeth probably wished she’d died years earlier.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

We had leftovers for St Patty's Day because late Saturday night I had to bring my wife to the ER for what turned out to be a gall bladder problem.

I was gonna make a recipe for sausage with carmalized pear, and a potato and kipper salad with mustard dressing. Got only 2 hours of sleep Saturday night, and wife wasn't able to eat anything when I picked her up Sunday afternoon, so that plan went right out the window. She's feeling a little better on the meds she got but they're still looking to schedule surgery to have her gall bladder out in the next week or so.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

That sucks. QF

that’s an easy surgery tho.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Docjowles posted:

Yeah we bought a used Hyundai a while back from a dealership. When I asked for some concession (don't remember what) the salesman straight up tried to tell me I had already talked him down so much he was taking a loss and his family wouldn't have food on the table. lmfao come the gently caress on dude, does this actually work on people? Weirdly when I said I wasn't interested at that price and got up to leave, the conversation was suddenly able to continue :thunk: RIP to that guy's starving kids I guess.

A couple pages back, but once commission off CG gets low enough, the salesperson gets a “mini” which is a fixed payout between $50-200 depending on dealership and any incentives they have for salespeople to move inventory. The dealership never takes a loss even if the salesman is just getting a mini.

Also, the finance guys get commission on the financing and addons. They have the ability to drop the sales price of the car even further and reduce a salesperson’s commission to a mini just to make sure they get their commission.

The financing rate the dealer offers you is typically 2x what the bank they’re talking to would have loaned you. The dealership gets a check from the bank for the extra interest they saddled the consumer with.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Mr. Nice! posted:

The financing rate the dealer offers you is typically 2x what the bank they’re talking to would have loaned you. The dealership gets a check from the bank for the extra interest they saddled the consumer with.

Note that this can work out to your advantage if you get them to lower the sales price in anticipation of the bank kickback. Just read the paperwork to make sure there's no early repayment penalty on their loan.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

My dad was a very successful salesman. He was a natural soft seller. Nicest guy you’d ever met, scratch golfer, great tennis player etc.

To this day he loves negotiating for cars and prides himself on being able to bury car salesmen. He’s done it for my friends before.

My first car was an 02 Jetta. I’d saved up all the money for a down payment and he went with me to negotiate. The sales guy was full of poo poo and my dad was just dragging him. Everything the salesperson said my dad would correct. Every time my dad told him no or made a demand, the salesperson would say “gotta ask my boss about that one” and leave the office for five minutes. Then he’d come back and be like “okay, well, I talked him down for ya….” Etc. he did this like three or four times.

My dad got sick of this. when the guy walked in my dad faked a phone call and left the office. The salesman asked me “so he works in sales?” and I said something like “yeah for the Germans.”

When my dad came back the salesperson asked if he was working on a deal and my dad responded “yeah you know the loving Japanese are loving cheap. Want to fly me to Tokyo to try to get 100k off a 50 million dollar press. Anyway what were we talking about?”

I’ll have to ask what he actually got that car for. At the end the dealer made some comment about not barely getting a commission for the sale. My dad told him he’d be able to afford to dry clean his sports coat.

I’d never heard him talk to someone like that. Afterwards he just shrugged and said “he sells cars. gently caress him.”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

saintonan posted:

Note that this can work out to your advantage if you get them to lower the sales price in anticipation of the bank kickback. Just read the paperwork to make sure there's no early repayment penalty on their loan.

This is correct. Many of the loans will have that language, but it depends on your jurisdiction whether it is enforceable or not.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
We’ll see if the finance guys can do anything. I have a preapproval of 4.99%/ 60 months from Navy Federal. When I asked on Saturday if they could match or beat it, sounded like the F&I guy didn’t even want to try because that would be a whole lot of paperwork from Toyota.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FizFashizzle posted:

I’d never heard him talk to someone like that. Afterwards he just shrugged and said “he sells cars. gently caress him.”

Car salesmen are not necessarily bad people, but I will never feel bad for them getting a mini. They gently caress people who don’t know better all day.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Silly Burrito posted:

We’ll see if the finance guys can do anything. I have a preapproval of 4.99%/ 60 months from Navy Federal. When I asked on Saturday if they could match or beat it, sounded like the F&I guy didn’t even want to try because that would be a whole lot of paperwork from Toyota.

They usually can and want to try because they get a kickback from the bank for just running your numbers.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Mr. Nice! posted:

They usually can and want to try because they get a kickback from the bank for just running your numbers.

If they can, great. I know what I want my bottom line price should be, gap insurance is $399, and 4.99% is the best APR that I could find by a mile. Most started at 6.2%.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Gonna get a new suit that actually fits for a job interview on Tuesday. Feels like college for some reason 😂

You gonna get a tailored suit by Tuesday?!?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Finding a passable jacket off the rack is doable. Pants can be hemmed in minutes, and the waist in an hour if you fork over a couple bucks for a rush job.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

I’ll have to ask what he actually got that car for. At the end the dealer made some comment about not barely getting a commission for the sale. My dad told him he’d be able to afford to dry clean his sports coat.

That’s ice cold, drat

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Similarly, when I was buying my car my parents expressly told me "This is the one time in your life where you're allowed to be an rear end in a top hat."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Silly Burrito posted:

If they can, great. I know what I want my bottom line price should be, gap insurance is $399, and 4.99% is the best APR that I could find by a mile. Most started at 6.2%.

oh yeah navy fed is pretty good. Most credit unions are.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

FizFashizzle posted:

That sucks. QF

that’s an easy surgery tho.

Good to hear that at least.

This isn't the first time she's had something like this happen. She apparently used to get this kind of pain every so often, including once shortly after we first moved in together, and any doctors we talked to were never able to figure it out. It hadn't happened in like over a decade at this point but it'll be nice if after the surgery we never have to worry about it again. I gather diet has to change afterward?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Alaois posted:

Bro the whole point of the Feast of St. Patrick is that Lent restrictions are lifted for a day lol

Filipino Catholicism is insane and I am not immune to their indoctrination. I do find it interesting that Showtime has been showing Noah lately. Maybe they'll add The Passion of the Christ next week. :v:

The whole point of me going vegan keto for lent is to reset my nutrition goals for the year. Of course I say that as I sneak in beers & pizza, so it goes to show how easily I succumb to temptation.

Quiet Feet posted:

We had leftovers for St Patty's Day because late Saturday night I had to bring my wife to the ER for what turned out to be a gall bladder problem.

I was gonna make a recipe for sausage with carmalized pear, and a potato and kipper salad with mustard dressing. Got only 2 hours of sleep Saturday night, and wife wasn't able to eat anything when I picked her up Sunday afternoon, so that plan went right out the window. She's feeling a little better on the meds she got but they're still looking to schedule surgery to have her gall bladder out in the next week or so.
drat glad to hear she's doing better. You could always make that meal for her post-surgery.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

FizFashizzle posted:

My dad was a very successful salesman. He was a natural soft seller. Nicest guy you’d ever met, scratch golfer, great tennis player etc.

To this day he loves negotiating for cars and prides himself on being able to bury car salesmen. He’s done it for my friends before.

My first car was an 02 Jetta. I’d saved up all the money for a down payment and he went with me to negotiate. The sales guy was full of poo poo and my dad was just dragging him. Everything the salesperson said my dad would correct. Every time my dad told him no or made a demand, the salesperson would say “gotta ask my boss about that one” and leave the office for five minutes. Then he’d come back and be like “okay, well, I talked him down for ya….” Etc. he did this like three or four times.

My dad got sick of this. when the guy walked in my dad faked a phone call and left the office. The salesman asked me “so he works in sales?” and I said something like “yeah for the Germans.”

When my dad came back the salesperson asked if he was working on a deal and my dad responded “yeah you know the loving Japanese are loving cheap. Want to fly me to Tokyo to try to get 100k off a 50 million dollar press. Anyway what were we talking about?”

What an awesome story, thanks Fiz!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Can I borrow your dad to buy my next car?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

The rumor is being pushed by Russian Twitter bots. There’s nothing to gain from suppressing the news. There’s a line of succession and it’s not like the royal family has actual power.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 18, 2024

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/VividVoid_/status/1769472734650888591

which one of you is a caterer

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

hello football forum chat friends,
we went camping this weekend, our friend turned 60 a week or so ago and had about 15 of us out to a campsite and the weather was absolutely perfect, I made 12 quarts of beef stew and fed everyone saturday night with about 2 quarts left over so I knew everyone got as much as they wanted, we went around the lake after dark and found frogs, went for a nice but not too long hike, and drank a decent amount but didn't get hammered

Hiking on saturday

This was the view on sunday morning

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I'm glad I double checked because it's actually Wednesday but what swickles said too. I'm picking it up today. Off the rack fit mostly well with just a few minor adjustments and boom.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

When I still worked at a Dealer, our minis were $100 for a new car and $125 for a used car. We had multiple dudes that we had to pay them out extra to get them to minimum wage for the month because the best they could do was move 5 or 6 units a month.

Also when I bought my last car I walked into the finance office with my own financing and after I had to strong arm him into not using their own financing, he asked what I did for work and I told him I worked at the dealer down the street. He said something like “Oh, well then I suppose you probably don’t want me to go through all of our packages and add-ons” and I said no thank you, and we flew through the rest of the paperwork and I was out the door in 10 minutes with my car lol

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

T-Square posted:

Also when I bought my last car I walked into the finance office with my own financing and after I had to strong arm him into not using their own financing, he asked what I did for work and I told him I worked at the dealer down the street. He said something like “Oh, well then I suppose you probably don’t want me to go through all of our packages and add-ons” and I said no thank you, and we flew through the rest of the paperwork and I was out the door in 10 minutes with my car lol

That was my experience when I bought a car last July. I told them I was paying cash so I wouldn't need financing, didn't have a trade-in (it was a 2013 Impala with over 200k lol), and made sure there weren't any dumbass add ons in the contact.

This didn't stop the finance guy from hitting me with the full court press on a loving extended warranty (on a brand new car). They had it on the papers when he was reviewing everything with me, and I was like "Yeah, I didn't ask for any of this and I'm definitely not paying $3,500 extra for it".

Motherfucker, I sell cars to car dealers wholesale, I know how all this stuff works.

ozymandius1024 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 18, 2024

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
At first glance this sounds like a scam job but honestly it kinda makes sense…

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/miami-heat-officer-profile-jane-gilbert-rcna142783

Edit eye popping stat

quote:

Her work to reach those most at risk was critical last year, when Miami experienced its hottest summer on record.

“In the 14 years prior to 2023, we had an average of six days out of the year that reached at or above a heat index of 105 degrees,” Gilbert said. “Last summer, we had over 42 days, so it was seven times higher than the average.”

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Amy Pole Her posted:

At first glance this sounds like a scam job but honestly it kinda makes sense…

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/miami-heat-officer-profile-jane-gilbert-rcna142783

Edit eye popping stat

And didn't Florida just pass a law banning local government from having laws to protect workers from the heat, like water breaks and shaded areas?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Can I borrow your dad to buy my next car?

About 20 years ago, the current president of our company heard a longtime employee was going to the Nissan dealership to buy some sports car (maybe a 350Z). The company president didn't have anything going on that day and asked if he could go along for fun and ended up negotiating the entire purchase for him. The next day, the GM of the dealership called up irate about the crazy deal they somehow bullied the salesman into taking

He still laughs whenever that gets brought up

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

swickles posted:

And didn't Florida just pass a law banning local government from having laws to protect workers from the heat, like water breaks and shaded areas?

Holy poo poo you’re right

https://ohsonline.com/Articles/2024...%20and%20shade.

Every day this states leadership gets just dumber and dumber

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
And yet I’ll probably be down here until it sinks under water or spontaneously combusts from the heat. Either way, I’ll go out like one of the drummers from Spın̈al Tap!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Holy poo poo you’re right

https://ohsonline.com/Articles/2024...%20and%20shade.

Every day this states leadership gets just dumber and dumber

Public health is woke

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

there needs to be a word for when you post your thoughts on twitter and then someone immediately likes it and you think drat straight, cuz I'm fuckin RIGHT. And then you look and it's a sex worker that liked your tweet

and yes I'm sure there is a chance some sex worker has strong opinions on the Houston Texans uniform redesign but chances are slim lol

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

kiimo posted:

there needs to be a word for when you post your thoughts on twitter and then someone immediately likes it and you think drat straight, cuz I'm fuckin RIGHT. And then you look and it's a sex worker that liked your tweet

and yes I'm sure there is a chance some sex worker has strong opinions on the Houston Texans uniform redesign but chances are slim lol

There’s some portmanteau with “bot” + “validation” or “affirmation” but I’m not clever enough to piece it together right now.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

auto-erotic validation

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Oh drat that’s good.

LeeMajors posted:

There’s some portmanteau with “bot” + “validation” or “affirmation” but I’m not clever enough to piece it together right now.

Botfirmation?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

Oh drat that’s good.

Botfirmation?

Kalli posted:

auto-erotic validation

Man I wasn't actually expecting a word and you guys nailed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

kiimo posted:

P U S S Y I N B I O