Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

a7m2 posted:

I'm really enjoying the Tomb Raider remastered trilogy. It's part nostalgia I suppose but the level design holds up. Getting used to the controls took a little and there's no good tutorial for them in-game, but the modern control scheme is quite good once you get the hang of them. The original scheme is more precise though and initially I did use it to line up some jumps but now I've gotten good at the new scheme.
I love the "switch between original and remastered graphics" button! I play most of the game in the remastered graphics which look good but I use the button all the time to see what it used to look like in the past.

I have also been enjoying it quite a bit. I've been playing TR1 and TR2 simultaneously. They're very different in terms of level visuals in a way that keeps things from getting stale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I picked up Into The Breach, Nier Automata, and the Rayman platformers. Steamdeck ftw.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Deck arrived! Installing updates now.

Looking at my backlog, I think I'm going to start with Persona 4 Golden (never got too far on the Vita forever ago) and Red Dead Redemption 2 (I'm halfway through on my PC, hoping I can transfer my save file over).

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Decided to try Sekiro again after giving up a few hours in back whenever it came out. Runs nice, locked it at 45 for consistency and it stays there like 95% of the time.

The game's still too drat hard though, I dunno why I have so much more trouble with this than the Souls games. Maybe it's because you need to get good at parrying and I never parry in Souls.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Decided 'Like A Dragon' will be my next Deck game and I forgot how crappy it looks on default settings. The shogi pieces are loving blurry, lmao.

Game still owns a lot

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Bardeh posted:

Decided to try Sekiro again after giving up a few hours in back whenever it came out. Runs nice, locked it at 45 for consistency and it stays there like 95% of the time.

The game's still too drat hard though, I dunno why I have so much more trouble with this than the Souls games. Maybe it's because you need to get good at parrying and I never parry in Souls.

That was me. But I played the whole game using timed blocking for exactly one fight. Regular blocking works, you just have to let go to recover, and you run at 300mph with no stamina. I've tried playing through specifically trying to play the right way and never managed.

I learned to use it for the first boss in the wo long demo though, probably just a lot nicer in terms of timing and less punishing for mistakes is a better motivator.

akiyba
Jan 28, 2009

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

This is how you find yourself sitting in the dark realizing it's suddenly 3am.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Anyone using XREAL Air 2 Pro with the Steam Deck? Can you adjust the refresh rate without issues? I’m wondering if I can do 90hz/45fps seamlessly. Also wanna know how the experience is in general. I spend a lot of time as a passenger on very long flights so it would be nice to escape reality.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm playing Murder by Numbers on my Deck and I've suddenly run into a crashing problem. The game is an EGS freebie I'm playing through the Heroic launcher. The first three cases went fine, but now that I'm on the fourth case the game is completely crashing the Steam Deck somehow, and it's doing it pretty consistently. I can barely get through a puzzle if I'm lucky before the game starts to stutter and flicker and once that happens a crash is imminent. The game's rated Platinum on ProtonDB and almost all of the comments say that it works perfectly, with only one (from 3 years ago) that says it crashes on exit, which isn't my problem. I have the TDP set to 4 and the game runs smoothly on that setting (aside from the aforementioned crashing) and a 60fps limiter set, but no other power options set.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Commander Keene posted:

I'm playing Murder by Numbers on my Deck and I've suddenly run into a crashing problem. The game is an EGS freebie I'm playing through the Heroic launcher. The first three cases went fine, but now that I'm on the fourth case the game is completely crashing the Steam Deck somehow, and it's doing it pretty consistently. I can barely get through a puzzle if I'm lucky before the game starts to stutter and flicker and once that happens a crash is imminent. The game's rated Platinum on ProtonDB and almost all of the comments say that it works perfectly, with only one (from 3 years ago) that says it crashes on exit, which isn't my problem. I have the TDP set to 4 and the game runs smoothly on that setting (aside from the aforementioned crashing) and a 60fps limiter set, but no other power options set.

I would try turning off tdp for that part and see. That's very low.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Turning off the TDP restriction seems to have solved the problem at least for now, though I mainly play the game when I'm out so I've set it up to 6 watts for now and we'll see how that works. It's strange though, I had it at 4 and the game was running at consistent 60fps, so I didn't think the TDP restriction was related because usually games start having performance problems when it's set too low. :shrug:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

Turning off the TDP restriction seems to have solved the problem at least for now, though I mainly play the game when I'm out so I've set it up to 6 watts for now and we'll see how that works. It's strange though, I had it at 4 and the game was running at consistent 60fps, so I didn't think the TDP restriction was related because usually games start having performance problems when it's set too low. :shrug:

Glad that worked. I've not been able to turn most things down to around double that wattage, so it seemed super low. I don't mess with tdp much though, so grain of salt and all.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I know absolutely nothing about BlazBlue games, but BB Entropy Effect is an awesome deck game.

Runs at a locked 60 with TDP at 10, est battery life of ~3hr, but I could probably gets the power down to 7-8.

Aventurine tried the GPU limiter yet.

Anyway, the game itself is a really fun roguelite - each level is made up of several short stages. Each stage is essentially one room, although they are larger than the screen so you're running to the right, with platforming and spawning enemies.

When you get to the end of a stage, you can select what the next type of stage will be - you can pick what kind of upgrade you'll get from the next stage (fire/light/poison/lightning, etc) or you are sometimes offered a noncombat option such a a health refill or a gamble (take X random penalty for Y random bonus).

After a while you fight a boss, and go on to the next full level.

When you die, you bring a certain number of upgrades/abilities with you that can be used with your next character (there's like 8? characters to choose from).

Beating enemies gives you currency that you can spend to upgrade your HP. Upgrade your HP enough and you unlock a slot to equip more powerful buffs. These buffs are purchased with a currency dropped by level bosses. So far I've unlocked 1 slot at HP upgrade #5, and abilities seem to cost 5 boss tokens.

Anyway, lots of fun. The characters all play very differently too.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Anyone have experience with the new granblue game on the steam deck? I have to return my copy to the library soon and it plays great on the playstation. Just wondering how it is on the deck? Trying to decide between buying it on the PC vs the playstation

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lostleaf posted:

Anyone have experience with the new granblue game on the steam deck? I have to return my copy to the library soon and it plays great on the playstation. Just wondering how it is on the deck? Trying to decide between buying it on the PC vs the playstation

One thing I’ve found pretty handy is checking YouTube for a game. Like 98% of the time someone has a video about a game with some settings to use.

https://youtu.be/48ZnNl5Sf9c?si=ImvoOAGitq5bxJDY

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

lostleaf posted:

I have about 70 hours in the game. Runs fine with no adjustments or setup. Fun game to have portable. Outside of the story I've played with friends and pubbies exclusively and I've had no multiplayer performance issues either. I can definitely recommend it on the Deck!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So I have this issue where when I’m streaming a game (GeForce Now or Game Pass) the blacks are a bit grayed out and contrast isn’t as strong. Yet when I play the exact same game that I have downloaded on my deck. I get pure blacks. For example title screens that are supposed to have black background aren’t pure black. Yet they are if I’m playing them directly from my deck.

What’s odd is I used to not have this issue. It happened sometime in the last couple months: Guessing it’s a software issue but I have no idea how to fix it.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 18, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Say what you will about Diablo 4 but the game runs and plays really really drat well on the deck.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

theblackw0lf posted:

So I have this issue where when I’m streaming a game (GeForce Now or Game Pass) the blacks are a bit grayed out and contrast isn’t as strong. Yet when I play the exact same game that I have downloaded on my deck. I get pure blacks. For example title screens that are supposed to have black background aren’t pure black. Yet they are if I’m playing them directly from my deck.

What’s odd is I used to not have this issue. It happened sometime in the last couple months: Guessing it’s a software issue but I have no idea how to fix it.

What's your setup? PC streaming over Moonlight to the deck? LCD or OLED deck?

My instinctive reaction is that it sounds like the RGB dynamic range on the source device might be set to limited - check your GPU settings.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Party Boat posted:

What's your setup? PC streaming over Moonlight to the deck? LCD or OLED deck?

My instinctive reaction is that it sounds like the RGB dynamic range on the source device might be set to limited - check your GPU settings.

I’m using google chrome and Microsoft edge on the deck to stream gefoorce now and game pass. I’m not streaming from a PC.

I have the OLED deck.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Ah okay. I don't have a lot of experience with geforce now / gamepass streaming but I'm guessing they're outputting a compressed stream with a limited colour space.

Does the issue go away if you toggle HDR off on your deck?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Say what you will about Diablo 4 but the game runs and plays really really drat well on the deck.

Since you asked, the game itself is bad.

Been playing Dave the diver. It's great on deck but more poo poo keeps getting piled on. More and more mini games and systems which I didn't expect. I haven't played any yakuza game but it sounds like those somewhat, haha. I do really like the art style and some of the cut scenes are pretty funny. Especially any with bancho or the guy who sells and upgrades weapons.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Pro tip for dave: Don't treat this like a normal game and focus on one continuous play through. Pick it up for short sessions here and there between other stuff, it is much more fun that way.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

Hey there folks, I'm wondering if there are a cluster of :canada: Canadians :canada: here that could maybe share their experience with importing a deck from steam directly? I'm considering the purchase finally, but I'm mildly worried about the notion of getting surprise extra charges for 'brokerage' etcetera. Supposedly you aren't supposed to get extra charges but there is a small handful of reports of people who did get hit with this for a bit over 100$ because of the shipping company that steam uses. Did anyone get hit with this here?

One other thing is I'd like to get the OLED version partially to see if I can do 90fps game streaming with geforce now. Does this work, or is this something that's locked to 60 just by virtue of being on the steamdeck itself?

Is it possible to create the shortcuts in steam necessary to run xbox cloud and geforce now without needing to get a bluetooth keyboard or usbc keyboard? I'd kind of rather not buy that as an extra addon as well if possible.

Edit: Should also mention this would be to Ontario, just in case there's weird different import experiences, though I can't imagine it's too different in terms of cross border nonsense unless we're talking the Territories rather than the Provinces.

Blorknorg fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 18, 2024

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’ve ordered three to Canada and there was nothing to deal with. They just show up. It’s great.

I also have GeForce Now set up, and did it without a plugged in keyboard. The steam keyboard is fine. You’ll want to go into desktop mode to make it easier to set to though.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

Jordan7hm posted:

I’ve ordered three to Canada and there was nothing to deal with. They just show up. It’s great.

I also have GeForce Now set up, and did it without a plugged in keyboard. The steam keyboard is fine. You’ll want to go into desktop mode to make it easier to set to though.

Excellent, thank you for the information. Did you try the 90 fps mode or just stuck with the 60, I'd mostly just be doing it out of curiosity so I could see if there really was some difference I'm going to notice with 90-120 fps or if my crappy eyes and brain are too far gone at this point to really appreciate it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Blorknorg posted:

Excellent, thank you for the information. Did you try the 90 fps mode or just stuck with the 60, I'd mostly just be doing it out of curiosity so I could see if there really was some difference I'm going to notice with 90-120 fps or if my crappy eyes and brain are too far gone at this point to really appreciate it.

I don’t really notice the difference as long as the FPS is consistent. I would run a lot of games at 40hz before, on the OLED I run them at 45 fps / 90hz instead.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah the only reason I played it as much as I have is it’s a great fit for handheld (ASUS rog Ally but same same)

Speaking of which I got the Ally because I thought I wanna not just be locked to steam but I think I end up just using steam 90% of the time

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Blorknorg posted:

Hey there folks, I'm wondering if there are a cluster of :canada: Canadians :canada: here that could maybe share their experience with importing a deck from steam directly? I'm considering the purchase finally, but I'm mildly worried about the notion of getting surprise extra charges for 'brokerage' etcetera. Supposedly you aren't supposed to get extra charges but there is a small handful of reports of people who did get hit with this for a bit over 100$ because of the shipping company that steam uses. Did anyone get hit with this here?

No issues here (Toronto).

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah the only reason I played it as much as I have is it’s a great fit for handheld (ASUS rog Ally but same same)

Speaking of which I got the Ally because I thought I wanna not just be locked to steam but I think I end up just using steam 90% of the time

You're not locked to steam at all on the deck

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

My Steam Deck has started to have Problems connecting to WiFi/Steam on a pretty regular basis. It's the only device in the house that does this. A few reboots will usually solve it, but I'm beginning to have concerns. Does anyone know of any tips or tricks or guides for troubleshooting the Deck's connectivity?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Blorknorg posted:

One other thing is I'd like to get the OLED version partially to see if I can do 90fps game streaming with geforce now. Does this work, or is this something that's locked to 60 just by virtue of being on the steamdeck itself?

Is it possible to create the shortcuts in steam necessary to run xbox cloud and geforce now without needing to get a bluetooth keyboard or usbc keyboard? I'd kind of rather not buy that as an extra addon as well if possible.

Edit: Should also mention this would be to Ontario, just in case there's weird different import experiences, though I can't imagine it's too different in terms of cross border nonsense unless we're talking the Territories rather than the Provinces.

All good here, bought mine Oct 2022, and I'm in New Brunswick.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Xalidur posted:

My Steam Deck has started to have Problems connecting to WiFi/Steam on a pretty regular basis. It's the only device in the house that does this. A few reboots will usually solve it, but I'm beginning to have concerns. Does anyone know of any tips or tricks or guides for troubleshooting the Deck's connectivity?

Nothing specific, but first step is probably going to be hitting desktop mode. You'll be able to see a lot more info there re: things like wireless connectivity.

Is it just your home network that's doing this, or do other networks as well? Throwing up a quick wifi hotspot with a phone might be useful for diagnosing if it's your network or your switch.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Xalidur posted:

I had this weird saga a year ago where my LCD Deck just decided it didn’t want to connect to any internet anymore. I had to just completely reimage it to fix the issue.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Vic posted:

You're not locked to steam at all on the deck
Is the windows on deck experience any good or is it still rear end?

I'd really like to play gamepass games natively. Streaming on my connection looks muddy AF.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Is the windows on deck experience any good or is it still rear end?

I'd really like to play gamepass games natively. Streaming on my connection looks muddy AF.

It's still rear end. It will always be rear end because Microsoft has been dragging its feet on making Windows nice to use on handhelds for ages.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I did a factory reset recently because Octopath Traveler 2 randomly went from working perfectly to crashing my Deck, a story I believe I posted about here too, so hopefully I don't need to go that far again.

I will try hotspotting, that's a good tip. When this current story first began, resetting my router seemed to fix things; but since they ended up returning I've assumed that wasn't it and just a coincidence.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Also, this might be outdated information, but the deck doesn't have fully-supported drivers under windows. It functions, but has performance issues. Some games can only run under windows, but others will perform better in Linux through proton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Xalidur posted:

I did a factory reset recently because Octopath Traveler 2 randomly went from working perfectly to crashing my Deck, a story I believe I posted about here too, so hopefully I don't need to go that far again.

I will try hotspotting, that's a good tip. When this current story first began, resetting my router seemed to fix things; but since they ended up returning I've assumed that wasn't it and just a coincidence.

Go to your router settings and split the bands into 2.4ghz and 5ghz. See if either of them gives you issues. I bet there is an issue connecting to the 5Ghz channels. Is your Deck LCD or OLED? The OLED has some connectivity quirks. For example, I can’t stream Moonlight smoothly.