Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

mst4k posted:

Man I love what they did with cosmo canyon (except gliding).

Having a great time and I can’t quite tell how this is going to end.

(Chapter 10) does red ever go back to his old voice? He sounds like a ninja turtle now and I’m waiting for him to be like “cowabunga! Pizza time!!”. It’s fine, I’m not complaining, the Gi part loving ruled. .

Sometimes he will flip back for dramatic effect, but generally he uses his real voice because he doesn't need to keep up the Johnny Cash mystical coyote act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Ok what is this loving (basically final boss spoilers) Bahamut Arisen Whisper bullshit.

5 seconds in and I get gigaflared with no way to stop it since I have barely any ATB built up so I can’t cancel. Can’t heal up after wards because he just lays in on me. And of course unskippable cutscene medley beforehand every time you retry. Really takes the wind out of the amazing set of battles beforehand

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I am not a fan of Red XIII's voice change in english lol

AlphaKeny1 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 18, 2024

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Please spoiler that.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The reward for the chicken herding quest in gongaga lmao goty

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

It's possibly the greatest RPG side quest of all time

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

An amazing sidequest.

My other personal favorite ending for a sidequest is the final one for Chocobo Billy where you win the Gold Cup for him and it turns out his parents were actually huge loving morons. That one was unintentionally funny to me.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Don't think that's quite how that ended.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

triple sulk posted:

It's possibly the greatest RPG side quest of all time

I was so sketch on it at first glance, I was sort of in a rush to get out of there and wasn't going to bother right now but I remembered her from running around earlier eavesdropping on townspeople and decided to give it a shot anyway and I'm so thankful I did

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

There's just so much loving game here. 100+ hours in and I know that even if I beelined from the start of chapter 12 I probably have another 10 hours to go, at least. Some of the side content is amazing and some of it just doesn't land, but I feel like I'm being unfairly hard on the game overall. This and DD2 are my most anticipated games of the last several years and they get released less than a month apart, so I'm driving myself nuts trying to do a completionist run of FF7R faster than I otherwise would so I don't end up splitting my time between them.

That said, the Cait Sith solo section can gently caress all of the way off. Barret is right loving there, why am I throwing boxes at other boxes. And some of those fights were way more brutal than they usually are in solo sections.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Man, the end of Chapter 12 is kicking my rear end. As a side note, I've looked for how to videos on youtube and a shocking number of them are just videos of somebody beating the boss. Without tips or narration ITS NOT A HOW TO VIDEO ITS JUST YOUR GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE. I know its people milking the algorithm, but its loving annoying. Other videos are people who are incredibly good at the game talking about their brilliant, difficult to execute strategy. I want basic tips, damnit. Not your galaxy brain pro poo poo. I don't need to beat them in 30 seconds, I just want to know when to use what ability.

Also about your return trip to the Shinra Mansion, I would much rather explore the upstairs from the original game than do that Cait Sith solo stuff, even if it was 1/3rd of the play time. That new area was so much less compelling than the creepy rear end mansion.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's no real narration to help you beat that boss. Just dodge anything with a red exclamation mark and hit him afterwards.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

My biggest complaint is that after graciously allowing me to play for the first two weeks, my wife is now getting annoyed at me hogging the TV to play :v:

At close to 50 hours I only just started niebelheim proper after finishing most of the exploration there. And there's still a lot to see in earlier regions..

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

deoju posted:

Man, the end of Chapter 12 is kicking my rear end. As a side note, I've looked for how to videos on youtube and a shocking number of them are just videos of somebody beating the boss. Without tips or narration ITS NOT A HOW TO VIDEO ITS JUST YOUR GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE. I know its people milking the algorithm, but its loving annoying. Other videos are people who are incredibly good at the game talking about their brilliant, difficult to execute strategy. I want basic tips, damnit. Not your galaxy brain pro poo poo. I don't need to beat them in 30 seconds, I just want to know when to use what ability.

Block a lot and just wait to take your turn. It's kinda slow but I found the only way I could make consistent progress was to just block, try to dodge the unblockables as they come and only go for basic combos when he's reloading. Just too tough to get an atb attack off during the reload and then you can spend any atb you do have on focused strikes when he does get pressured from being attacked on reload or for heals/buffs (good place to use some Celeris imo). Phase 2 is a bit faster because you can punisher counter the new guy to create more openings for yourself but it still pays to play patient imo.

He doesn't hit too hard so even if you're getting tagged by every other unblockable like I was you can make your way through it and grind him out.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
My problem is that I can't figure out the pattern for when he reloads. It seems like he always does it after Guns Akimbo, but other than that I dunno when to strike, and by the time I know for sure it's too late. He also does it after he hits you, but he is finished by the time you recover.

deoju fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 18, 2024

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

deoju posted:

My problem is that I can't figure out the pattern for when he reloads. It seems like he always does it after Guns Akimbo, but other than that I dunno when to strike, and by the time I know for sure it's too late. He also does it after he hits you, but he is finished by the time you recover.

The way I did it was to open up the command menu after he's done with a combo to slow down time to see if he's in his reload animation.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If you mean Rufus just use dodge and attack like a lunatic because cloud's attacks become ranged. Get ATB and dump on him when he pressures/staggers. Don't try to hit him in melee it's a waste of time.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

deoju posted:

If it's anything like Remake, then he has a certain number of "bullets" that he spends during attacks, and then he has to reload. Akimbo, as you noted, forces a reload. Checking a video, in Remake it's four bullets unless he uses a move called combat load which gives him six? I didn't bother to count in Rebirth and just acted very defensively and punished with focused thrust when he reloaded.

That said, a video suggested using disorder instead of braver, which seems to counter basically everything he can do that isn't unblockable. When Darkstar comes out, you can use triple slash once you get it pressured to basically stunlock it and Rufus.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
You can use Plasma Discharge against the ch12 boss and it'll instantly pressure him if he's close enough when it procs, that helps. Otherwise yeah you just gotta fight him honest, learn the timings for parrying dodging Richochet.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

deoju posted:

If you're just using regular combos you can just keep blocking and then react to it. Using any atb was too slow without prediction but you can totally just spam the square button when you see the text pop up and you can get a hit in and pressure him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Anyway, just got emotional about Cloud initiating a high five with the Ultimate Party Animal.

He's come such a long way. :unsmith:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Gonna compile a short advice section for that one boss of Chapter 12 since I just spent so much time trying to practice that fight on Hard Mode long past the point where I could consistently get to the end of it.

This is geared for people coming into it on Normal Mode but to be honest Hard isn't very different except you'll have less room for error and more moves.

If you didn't notice, there's an opening to hold Square to use the menu before the fight begins. This is a mixed blessing; it comes after the checkpoint so if you rebuild you will need to redo your changes every time you retry. Precision Defence and Steadfast Block are recommended, as is a Healing. Add other utilities like Protect or Haste to taste although those aren't necessary and it can be hard to find the time to cast buffs. Specifically on normal mode the materia that gives you an item for 0 ATB every few commands is a godsend. Elemental Thunder on the armour is nice to have although as you'll see it might come in less handy than you'd think.

Embrace the push/pull. You do not get to set the pace. You are going to be fully reactive, and not be on the offensive outside of your window.

You are going to have to learn some of his moves. Many aren't complex and can probably be grasped intuitively; literally any sideways movement will evade Bright Lights, but Ricochet and Spiral have a little bit of timing needed. It's possible that on Normal you'll have the leeway to just eat these moves if you're committed to just muddling through. He throws a lot of new poo poo at you but you'll find it easy to memorise after a few tries.

If you're looking for advice at all someone's probably told you that he'll stagger instantly if you hit him with Braver during a Reload. This is true but absolutely not necessary. This is for the people who want show off. It's hard to hit him with Braver. It has a long windup and a decent animation, and very low range, to land this you have to evade a lot of moves very perfectly and then start the move before the Reload actually becomes visible. Your bread and butter is actually going to be Focused Thrust if you're even in his vicinity and Triple Slash (or just the dodge and hold square closer) if you're across the arena. Focused Thrust can cover a lot of ground, comes out quickly, and will land that all important interrupting hit fast enough that you can still do it after you actually see him reloading, and will then pressure him and build a lot of stagger on the same execution. If you have another ATB in the tank you can hit him with a second right away, or back off to heal if needed. Or land some combos to get the gauge back up. Now, by all means, if you're plugged in and counting his shots (he gets four attacks in a combo, I think (does anyone know this for certain?)) and you're reasonably sure a Reload is coming and you have the margin to eat the poo poo if you're wrong and you're in position then gently caress it, roll those dice. But it's for opportunists and showoffs.

Triple Slash in particular is surprisingly good at interrupting Rufus in the middle of attacks. So is Counterstance but you won't have that in Normal mode. This is maybe risky though.

His regular unnamed attacks can be blocked, perfectly if you're into that. Guns Akimbo can also be blocked. He has two variants of Akimbo and the one without a jump in the middle of it is always (I think) followed by a reload. However it will push you back quite a ways so unless you perfectly dodge it, which is much harder, it's not ideal for Bravering.

You don't need to sweat optimising the stagger. You can get another if you can get one. Big damage feels good but be sure to leave some gauge in the tank. Or use the time to heal if you have to.

When Darkstar joins the fray, KO him ASAP. He's generally vulnerable to Punisher counters and pressures easily after one. When he does, unload on him immediately. He can be juggled while pressured and if you use Triple Slash on him the second slash will also fairly reliably interrupt Rufus from whatever he was going to try to interrupt your juggle with, so it's pretty easy to stagger him out of a pressure. It's pretty good practice to save a Limit from the first half of the fight and use it as soon as he staggers. It'll then be straightforward to finish him off before you have to face too many team-up attacks. When he's out, Rufus will get some buffs but nothing that changes how he behaves.

Hopefully this will help some people who are struggling with this and for whom advice, such as it is, from gaming gods is unhelpful.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Am I supposed to spam Caith Sith's drop kick till it gets to lv 2? It seems to take forever to get the bar to fill unless you just jump on enemy repeatedly

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Fedule posted:

Hopefully this will help some people who are struggling with this and for whom advice, such as it is, from gaming gods is unhelpful.

Thanks. Looking forward to trying this when I get a chance to play next. :)

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Man, that “kill the mindflayer first” condition in the battle simulator was a huge pain in the rear end. I used sleep on the other two enemies, but it still took a bunch of tries because someone would inevitably wake one up and a string of horrible poo poo would happen and ruin the attempt. What are you supposed to do there?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

deoju posted:

My intuition (I haven’t read the like ai script or anything but I’m sure someone has out there) is that works off an invisible ammo gauge and his moves deplete it by varying amount. Guns akimbo will always fully deplete it. If you gently caress up and get hit he will reload early while you’re knocked down. You don’t have to play perfectly or anything but last bit is important to know for like, risk management.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Man, that “kill the mindflayer first” condition in the battle simulator was a huge pain in the rear end. I used sleep on the other two enemies, but it still took a bunch of tries because someone would inevitably wake one up and a string of horrible poo poo would happen and ruin the attempt. What are you supposed to do there?

Solo Barret, he's got enough single target output to blow up the mindflayer before the adds become too much of an issue. Bringing more party members always ended up with them killing one of the adds for me.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Also turn the difficulty down to Easy. This mission does not deserve your respect.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Macaluso posted:

The intro to the Gold Saucer was incredible :buddy:

I feel like this emoji is exactly what I look like when I'm playing this game lol.

Ty Square <3

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Any good place to grind AP? End game, just need to knock out the final chadley missions and I have the platty

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

fezball posted:

Solo Barret, he's got enough single target output to blow up the mindflayer before the adds become too much of an issue. Bringing more party members always ended up with them killing one of the adds for me.

Never worked for me because the adds will quite happily blow themselves up the second you get stunned

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I beat the game last night so I don't have to play black bar roulette anymore (or just "whoops someone didn't spoil something they probably should have" roulette) with the thread so what's the best method to start grinding up my exp and AP after I finish cleaning up intel and sidequests that I skipped

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Never worked for me because the adds will quite happily blow themselves up the second you get stunned

The range on the stun is quite limited, so as long as you keep dodging it's not too hard to avoid. Still annoying, but more reliable than hoping that your party AI doesn't screw you over.

IcePhoenix posted:

I beat the game last night so I don't have to play black bar roulette anymore (or just "whoops someone didn't spoil something they probably should have" roulette) with the thread so what's the best method to start grinding up my exp and AP after I finish cleaning up intel and sidequests that I skipped

Everything will get you way more exp and AP on chapter select independent of difficulty setting, just finishing up the leftovers on easy/normal/dynamic will likely get you to level 70 in no time. Maxing out materia (especially all the blue ones) may require some grinding, but even that can be at least mitigated somewhat by just filling up your back benchers while doing the hard chapters. Other than that, the best one I've found so far is rerunning the longer simulators on easy while making sure that the important materia is linked with AP up (which does stack to 6x on the triple gain 2-slot bracer).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

fezball posted:

Everything will get you way more exp and AP on chapter select independent of difficulty setting, just finishing up the leftovers on easy/normal/dynamic will likely get you to level 70 in no time. Maxing out materia (especially all the blue ones) may require some grinding, but even that can be at least mitigated somewhat by just filling up your back benchers while doing the hard chapters. Other than that, the best one I've found so far is rerunning the longer simulators on easy while making sure that the important materia is linked with AP up (which does stack to 6x on the triple gain 2-slot bracer).

I don't have much left to complete (I skipped some of the later sidequests and intel because I wanted to finish before the end of the weekend) so I probably won't be super close to cap after my cleanup is done. Was just hoping there's a gauntlet of some kind near the start of a chapter that I can power through like the chapter 16 spot in remake. The x6 gain is good to know though. I did have something set there but wasn't 100% sure if it worked that way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

You can block the stuns.

Also an easy out: Yuffie's Blindside works through stun.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
so i've figured out a more or less foolproof way to do the Nightmare Survival QB challenge

i got 146 of these 150 points in round 4, and literally just let the AI do whatever it wanted for the entire rest of the game, apart from plonking down the two freebie Gigantuars in round one

lol, and also, lmao

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

You can block the stuns.

Also an easy out: Yuffie's Blindside works through stun.

'Can' being the operative word

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Instant Grat posted:

so i've figured out a more or less foolproof way to do the Nightmare Survival QB challenge

i got 146 of these 150 points in round 4, and literally just let the AI do whatever it wanted for the entire rest of the game, apart from plonking down the two freebie Gigantuars in round one

lol, and also, lmao

Meanwhile I thought I was safe going into round 5 with with over 150 points and an 85 point lead with only two crappy cactuars remaining in my hand only for the AI to score 87 points while I looked on helplessly :smithicide:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WaltherFeng posted:

Am I supposed to spam Caith Sith's drop kick till it gets to lv 2? It seems to take forever to get the bar to fill unless you just jump on enemy repeatedly

It seems to just fill on its own at a decent rate as you play with the Moogle out. I don't think using Dropkick makes it fill up much (if at all).

There's also a very nice grid node that lets Cait start fights with a random level 2 triangle skill charged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

WaltherFeng posted:

No, you want to use regular square attacks without any movement inputs so the moogle can use his normals as well and build the bar.