Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lone Goat posted:

Paper copies of the Slime Against Humanity, an in-print common that you can find in a normal standard set booster pack, are selling for $3 each. So yeah there's probably some demand for it.
that's the case for basically any "your deck can have any number of x", isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Captain Invictus posted:

that's the case for basically any "your deck can have any number of x", isn't it?

Yeah probably, and the people that want these cards don't actually care if they're GOOD or not, so there's little reason to make them overpowered.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

green - slime against humanity
red - dragon's approach
black - relentless rats/rat colony/shadowborn apostle
blue - persistent petitioners
white - ???

potential mh3 include is a white "deck can have any number" common

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Looks like MTGA is having some issues just now. I was playing in a draft league and after winning my game I was disconnected after the "victory" screen, when I came back the win wasn't there. Now there's a service disruption notice up. Just FYI if you're in an event.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I had a terrible limited beat recently where my opponent had just dropped a Vein Ripper as their last card, I managed to Extract a Confession on it, one of my last removals, and then they top decked another loving Vein Ripper the next turn. I eventually also killed the second but the life pings were too much to deal with

Definitely high on the tilt list haha. Had to take a break from drafting for a while after that one

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

kalel posted:

red - dragon's approach
white - ???

Hmm, would a Champion of the Parish with the any number clause be broken?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

fadam posted:

Hmm, would a Champion of the Parish with the any number clause be broken?
Unlimited Youthful Valkyrie would probably be a more balanced option.

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

Looks like MTGA is having some issues just now. I was playing in a draft league and after winning my game I was disconnected after the "victory" screen, when I came back the win wasn't there. Now there's a service disruption notice up. Just FYI if you're in an event.

Reminder that most players in this thread have pretty good luck with bug submitting for anything that disrupts an event, wotc often reimburses the entire entry fee, even if it's just "cat knocked my internet cable out and I went 6-3 instead of 8-2"

Doesn't hurt to ask, the game can be mad expensive and they make bank off us.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
all the daily deals in the store are dagger or stabbing related to celebrate the ides of march :ese:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah I submitted a bug report, they're usually pretty good about a no questions asked refund.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

kalel posted:

red - dragon's approach
white - ???

it’s weird that Charmed Stray has text that makes it seem like the white card in the cycle but then it just isn’t

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Boco_T posted:

it’s weird that Charmed Stray has text that makes it seem like the white card in the cycle but then it just isn’t

There's lot of Collect Em Alls in other sets that don't have the "play infinite" text, like Charmed Stray, Faerie Miscreant, Seven Dwarves, half of Coldsnap, and onslaught block constructed superstar Avarax

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
So this went only 2-3 (lost to an insane monoW [how do you even get that] perfect draw, a Yannifar I couldn't handle nowhere close to in time, and finally a Cryptic Coat. You know, just MKM things). However, I'm still very happy because it brought me extreme joy:

And their deck was really good too! Apart from all the artifact synergies on display (including a Filched Falcon case), they also had Aurelia (hence the W splash) which they showed me as the one card in the Intrude on the Mind piles. Gave them four cards instead. Didn't matter.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Lone Goat posted:

There's lot of Collect Em Alls in other sets that don't have the "play infinite" text, like Charmed Stray, Faerie Miscreant, Seven Dwarves, half of Coldsnap, and onslaught block constructed superstar Avarax

Charmed Stray is actually part of an Arena Base Set-exclusive partial cycle made up of it, Goblin Gathering, Compound Fracture, and Packhunter Baloth, which care about other cards with their specific names having been played previously, without increasing how many can be put in the deck. Piece it Together completes the cycle mechanically, and may be added to the base set once Alchemy rotates in September.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

EclecticTastes posted:

Charmed Stray is actually part of an Arena Base Set-exclusive partial cycle made up of it, Goblin Gathering, Compound Fracture, and Packhunter Baloth, which care about other cards with their specific names having been played previously, without increasing how many can be put in the deck. Piece it Together completes the cycle mechanically, and may be added to the base set once Alchemy rotates in September.

Charmed Stray was in War of the Spark, and Goblin Gathering was in Ravnica Allegiance, and were already on Arena before being added to the beginner set.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Lone Goat posted:

Charmed Stray was in War of the Spark, and Goblin Gathering was in Ravnica Allegiance, and were already on Arena before being added to the beginner set.

Sorry, I phrased that imprecisely. The cards aren't exclusive, the cycle is, in that it's just two unrelated cards from different sets in paper Magic, that the Arena team has made into a cycle by adding more cards with similar effects, each in a different color.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Flashing in a wandering emperor to save a planeswalker that'll ult next turn from sheoldred's edict: insanely cool.

(Specifically it was quintorious quinn with a chandra, hope's beacon and a lightning helix that she could then copy in the graveyard for lethal.)

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I can't loving wait for wandering emperor and sheoldred to rotate you have no idea

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Jarvisi posted:

I can't loving wait for wandering emperor and sheoldred to rotate you have no idea

Add Sunfall, Nazgul, Witch King, Etali, and Phyrexian Obliterator/Vindicator to that list for me. Though, I only need to wait until September since I play Alchemy. My heart goes out to you poor souls in Standard, cursed with absolute goddamn misery for an additional year (minus the LotR cards).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Wandering Emperor and Sheoldred are annoying but fine IMO, Sunfall is incredibly oppressive. There are like 3 other white sweepers at 5 mana or less in standard and Farewell has exile at 6, but the combo of 3WW and exile for Sunfall is brutal. IDK if it's banworthy but I definitely hate playing against it.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

Wandering Emperor and Sheoldred are annoying but fine IMO, Sunfall is incredibly oppressive. There are like 3 other white sweepers at 5 mana or less in standard and Farewell has exile at 6, but the combo of 3WW and exile for Sunfall is brutal. IDK if it's banworthy but I definitely hate playing against it.

The main issue with Sunfall is it leaves a (probably pretty big) body behind for the defender. If it was just the exile it'd be merely annoying, but being a win con on its own is just the worst.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Oh god sheoldred doesn't rotate until 2025 christ

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Jarvisi posted:

Oh god sheoldred doesn't rotate until 2025 christ

I'm so sorry you had to find out this way. :smith:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Did two MKM Premiers but they were just very mediocre, an Esper-ish one that just ended up in a terrible deck, 1-3; and a pretty standard Gruul build, a few morphs, four (!) Tin Street Gossips, and that nothing special deck went 3-3.

I did another draft this evening, and, uh, didn't really find a clear lane but I found something. I passed like three Dog Walkers and was kicking myself for not getting into that deck, it was never open so far and I did start with Kellan and Evidence Examiner...

https://www.17lands.com/draft/34994721e8c24534868ba4c41da6d59e

This is a tentative build, where I'm basically just splashing the Cadaver to have a better chance of solving Guildpact (note that Killer Among Us gives every color but B). I noticed that despite the wild looking mana symbols, and my array of fixing I only really need U and G. Therefore, I could also splash R and simply play powerful cards like the Codebreaker, Chase is On, and perhaps Wordsoul's Rage. What do you guys think?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Technowolf posted:

The main issue with Sunfall is it leaves a (probably pretty big) body behind for the defender. If it was just the exile it'd be merely annoying, but being a win con on its own is just the worst.
:hmmyes: for comparison, in standard right now is a sweeper that leaves behind a win con in White Suns Twilight, but it a) costs 7 and b) doesn't exile

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
WST has its uses if the deck is built for it, but sunfall is absolutely way more broadly applicable.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah I'd forgotten about the incubate. I do think the exile is relevant though, graveyard matters has been a big theme in recent sets and incidentally hosing that on a card that also wipes the board and gives you a suwin con seems a bit much. I've been playing white control lately and it's pretty noticeable how much better Sunfall is than the several other sweepers you have access to.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

What do you guys think?

I would ditch the Pacts and Cadaver for Exit, Galvanize, Codebreaker. 2 mountain 7 island. Mutations are enough for you to win

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
It's wild how you can build a new deck and suddenly you're up against much less threatening opponents. I appreciate the matchmaker cutting me a break, I just wish there was a little more transparency as to why my other jankass garbage piles are getting thrown to the drat wolves.

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007
So I just got first time diamond a few days ago, and now I got to mythic on the alchemy ladder!!! Using the mono black vampire deck I posted with a only one change:

-1 Eternal Thirst
+1 Bitter Triumph

Born in Bexhill posted:

Deck: Vamp Tramp Stamp
1 Smogbelcher Chariot (Y23) 11
3 Dusk's Landing (Y24) 10
23 Swamp (LTR) 267
2 Legion Reconsecrator (Y24) 11
1 Chitinous Crawler (Y24) 9
1 Gix, Yawgmoth Praetor (BRO) 95
1 Vraan, Executioner Thane (ONE) 114
1 Markov Baron (MAT) 14
1 Preacher of the Schism (LCI) 113
1 Bloodletter of Aclazotz (LCI) 92
2 Queen's Bay Paladin (LCI) 115
3 Tithing Blade (LCI) 128
3 Echo of Dusk (LCI) 104
2 Vampire Opportunist (ANB) 65
2 Vein Ripper (MKM) 110
1 Tarrian's Journal (LCI) 126
1 Bitter Triumph (LCI) 91
1 Eternal Thirst (ANB) 49
2 Go for the Throat (BRO) 102
1 Invasion of Innistrad (MOM) 115
1 Aclazotz, Deepest Betrayal (LCI) 88
1 Phyrexian Arena (ONE) 104
1 Gix's Command (BRO) 97
1 Soulhunter Rakshasa (ANB) 62
1 Invasion of Fiora (MOM) 114
1 Cavern of Souls (LCI) 269
1 Breach the Multiverse (MOM) 94

I encourage anyone who wants to make mythic to go for it on the alchemy ladder, some of the games were close but others were a joke! Never seemed to face an over-tuned net deck (except for one Slogurk). I pretty much could beat everything thrown my way with the exception of Ubrask’s Forge, that card wrecked my deck unless I could get a Vein Ripper out in a timely fashion.

Seriously, way easier than I thought and I guess it helped that I played very early before the west coasters had their coffee!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

The latest clue is up. If anyone needs a hint for the answer: check the mana costs.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

EclecticTastes posted:

The latest clue is up. If anyone needs a hint for the answer: check the mana costs.

IDGI. The leaders for Simic, Selesnya, Azorius, and Golgari are missing. The leaders in the lineup are mana value two through seven, so the missing numbers are one, eight, and nine?

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Mat Cauthon posted:

IDGI. The leaders for Simic, Selesnya, Azorius, and Golgari are missing. The leaders in the lineup are mana value two through seven, so the missing numbers are one, eight, and nine?

Set your filters to include cards you don't own yet.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

If anyone doesn't want to do the puzzle, the answers are Izoni and murdered

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I tried creating an empty deck called "Ravnica Lineup" but nothing happened. What am I missing

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

kalel posted:

I tried creating an empty deck called "Ravnica Lineup" but nothing happened. What am I missing
type that into the search/filter box on any deckbuilding screen

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ah thanks

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

quote:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/mtg-arena/mtg-arena-announcements-march-18-2024

Event Schedule

Events open at 8 a.m. PT on their starting dates (excluding Midweek Magic) and close to entries at 8 a.m. PT (UTC-07:00) on the ending date shown unless otherwise noted.

Midweek Magic

Midweek Magic events open on Tuesdays at 2 p.m. PT and close to new entries on Thursdays at 2 p.m. PT (UTC-07:00).

March 19–22: Murders at Karlov Manor Phantom Sealed
March 26–29: Timeless Showcase
April 2–5: Omniscience Draft
April 9–12: Gladiator Community Spotlight (Best-of-One)

Quick Draft

March 12–26: Murders at Karlov Manor
March 26–April 9: Phyrexia: All Will Be One

Other Events

March 19–26: Premier Draft War of the Spark
March 26–April 2: Premier Chaos Draft Ravnica
March 29–April 1: Explorer Metagame Challenge
April 5–8: Timeless Metagame Challenge

March Qualifier Events – Alchemy

March 22: Best-of-Three Qualifier Play-In
March 23–24: Qualifier Weekend

I'm glad the flashback draft events are up even if they are bo1. WAR draft will be fun to revisit

also competitive play is changing. full announcement tomorrow. hope it doesn't end up completely hosed

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i haven't played timeless in a bit - are these excrutiatingly slow grixis drc decks all bots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Hothouse in Enchantments is busted, egad. Still almost won the game, but this was how just about every one of their last four turns went - going from an empty board sans a few sagas to a fiesta. Not sure if I've just been killing Enchantment decks before they had a chance to pop off like this, but first time I've seen this particular flavor of it.