Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The Vagabond of Limbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

SimonChris posted:

The Vagabond of Limbo

]

:yikes:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I see the illustrator of RitD went to the Liefeld school of gun design.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 35: Beautiful Dream (Finale)

In other news, the people translating Shinozaki's Daily Maintenance have finally finished volume 8 and it's real good. I'm real tempted to start posting it here in my evening food/chilling out block, but going to 4 series might be a bridge too far. Also I don't have time to write a recap tonight.

All I'll say is this. People here have already commented on the relationship between a magician's power and their weirdness - the latest chapter clearly shows we had no idea just how weird a magician could get. Bloody hell.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Coca Koala posted:

That's a panel I'm sure will be useful in the future.

Well, you weren't wrong.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

MS Paint Masterpieces

#472: Light Of Judgment - In Your Face, God

#473: Value Of Life - Teleporting Needs Machines?

#474: Value Of Life - Details Shmetails

I like the bickering dynamic they have

MS Paint Masterpieces

#475: Value Of Life - Fighting Of The Street

#477: Value Of Life - I Am Error

#478: Value Of Life - Mega Man VS Landscape

This, of course, references the fact that Dr. Light teaches you the hadouken and shoryuken in a couple megaman x easter eggs

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

fritz posted:

Lunar Maladies

I feel like Kat maybe should have been more prepared for this shady fucker, but maybe she just hasn't encountered a werewolf sociopath before. Or maybe she has somewhat exaggerated her previous experience?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Sludge Knight: Gomorrah & Namekuji Part Two
Content warning: Suicidal ideation

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Shaking lemur butt posted:

I feel like Kat maybe should have been more prepared for this shady fucker, but maybe she just hasn't encountered a werewolf sociopath before. Or maybe she has somewhat exaggerated her previous experience?

I'm enjoying Lunar Maladies but I definitely don't think that it'd survive much scrutiny. Better to just take it as a fun story and not think too much.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Shaking lemur butt posted:

Didn't she say she only recently took up the business after her parents got killed?

I think she is supposed to be naive, so... maybe a little column A, column B? The way she speaks of lycanthropy victims she seems to sort them into "human" and "monster" categories and it doesn't occur to her that someone could embrace the curse and then turn around and pretend to be human.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
Just from a position of social realism it seems like the main character's reaction to catching a deadly disease is the one that she's more prepared to interact with, most people in real life would be pretty annoyed about being turned into a monster and relieved to have medication to prevent it once they've accepted their condition. It's possible that Kat just hasn't even had to deal with someone like him up until this point, she's only 23 or something.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Me & You

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tiger, Tiger

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

- I hope you're not taking any liberties.

Top:
- Now listen here, waiter, is this veal chops or pork chops?
- Can sir not tell from the taste?
- No.
- Well, then it might not matter to sir which it is.
Bottom: Dad, wake up, because it's time to sleep!

Top:
- Is it blood?
- No, it's wine.
- One more misfortune.
Bottom: Generous.
- Go ahead and take a seat, my ladies!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

So you're saying he's not sponge worthy?
:jerry:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

SOUBOUTEI
MUST
BE
DESTROYED

Gross

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 64: Furuta Oribe and Hot Stuff

I honestly have no idea why Ishida is so offended by Rikyu's teahouse. Then again, I sort of get the impression Ishida is offended by most things, so :shrug:

The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier Episode 32.5: The Secret Meeting of Men

Horny idiots... horny idiots never change...

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Lunar Maladies

one more update after this....

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

decapitated with a penknife, rip

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Lavender Jack

No collusion here!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

decapitated with a penknife, rip

It was more of a slicing motion, really

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

fritz posted:

Lunar Maladies
one more update after this....

Wait, it's basically over?

On the one hand that makes sense, given what just happened, on the other hand I really wasn't expecting such a quick and sudden resolution.

I was assuming they'd wound him but he'd manage to run away to the forrest, forcing a final confrontation before he could kill any more innocents.

I like this story a lot, but it has some weird pacing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it doesn't have any pacing. it's like the owl comic but with idiots and wolves - there'll be like eight pages of them slowly driving around going "alfred lives there", and any actual denouement will be covered in half a page of blurry wagging tails

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

it doesn't have any pacing. it's like the owl comic but with idiots and wolves - there'll be like eight pages of them slowly driving around going "alfred lives there", and any actual denouement will be covered in half a page of blurry wagging tails

I think it's interesting. So much of it is just odd because it's almost a bit more real.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I think the idly meandering bits did a pretty good job of capturing a certain small town high school vibe. They didn't really mesh very well with having an actual plot, though, all the scene-building sort of falls by the wayside once it goes into exposition mode.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I think it's just a case of the creator needing to build some storytelling skills, which is pretty normal. Comics require a lot of different skills and it takes time and practice to hone them. This isn't derogatory, btw, I think it's good to be making and putting work out there and I don't dislike the werewolf comic.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

mycatscrimes posted:

I think it's just a case of the creator needing to build some storytelling skills, which is pretty normal. Comics require a lot of different skills and it takes time and practice to hone them. This isn't derogatory, btw, I think it's good to be making and putting work out there and I don't dislike the werewolf comic.

That's a good point. And so many of the necessary skills work against each other!
I sort of tried combining my short story writing skill with my drawing skill, because comics are words and pictures, right? But they don't blend at all. As soon as you need to fit a speech bubble into a panel, all your art instincts for composition get thrown off-balance. And comic book dialogue isn't story dialog with 'she said'/'he replied' replaced with pictures; again, all of a writer's instinct for rhythm becomes useless.
I've been trying and failing to put a particular short story into comic form for ages but it's built around a sense of quietness alternating with noise and... just transplanting the dialogue does not work.
Valentine remained silent for a long moment. She took in the Kid’s acne and patchy moustache, and mentally placed a bet on how long he’d bother with his kneepads.
“I’ve seen the paperwork,” said Valentine at last. She raised an eyebrow. “S’that an actual Swiss army knife there?”
“It’s a survival tool,” said the Kid reproachfully. “For survival, in survival situations.”

I'd almost be better off doing this comic with no speech bubbles at all; the words don't really matter. Hmm.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Tree Bucket posted:

That's a good point. And so many of the necessary skills work against each other!
I sort of tried combining my short story writing skill with my drawing skill, because comics are words and pictures, right? But they don't blend at all. As soon as you need to fit a speech bubble into a panel, all your art instincts for composition get thrown off-balance. And comic book dialogue isn't story dialog with 'she said'/'he replied' replaced with pictures; again, all of a writer's instinct for rhythm becomes useless.
I've been trying and failing to put a particular short story into comic form for ages but it's built around a sense of quietness alternating with noise and... just transplanting the dialogue does not work.
Valentine remained silent for a long moment. She took in the Kid’s acne and patchy moustache, and mentally placed a bet on how long he’d bother with his kneepads.
“I’ve seen the paperwork,” said Valentine at last. She raised an eyebrow. “S’that an actual Swiss army knife there?”
“It’s a survival tool,” said the Kid reproachfully. “For survival, in survival situations.”

I'd almost be better off doing this comic with no speech bubbles at all; the words don't really matter. Hmm.

Honestly I think very short no dialogue comics can be a great way to learn the basics of sequential storytelling! Then you can start working on adding words once you feel like you've figured out how to communicate a story visually. It's not the only way, but it narrows the amount of skills you have to learn down quite a bit.

Thumbnailing and storyboarding is another good thing you can do to practice making comics.

Of course, this is advice from someone who eventually gave up try to make comics because I have an art brain and no writing brain, so take with a grain of salt, lol

The biggest thing I'd recommend though is looking at a variety of comics and trying to pick apart what they are doing and why it works. Comics that do a lot with a little, like Lavender Jack in this thread, are pretty great for this because they are doing their job extremely effectively, but because the visual style isn't complex, the pacing is fast, and the dialouge isn't more than it needs to be, it's approachable to study. Schadke is really amazing at efficient storytelling with words and pictures, and doing with style.

mycatscrimes has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Mar 18, 2024

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Thinking about it, comics are an odd hybrid medium. Unlike a book, you have a chance to paint exact and detailed pictures of the scenes without describing them for hours and unlike a movie you can include quite a lot of internal thoughts without making it tedious. But the more text you use the less you can spent on visuals. It's a weird tradeoff.

Book to movie adaptions often just suck because oftentimes those stories were just constructed for that particular medium and you can't just replace them 1 to 1. I think in theory for comic book adaptions it would be easier to stick a bit closer to the source. (That is, if the source doesn't suck of course.)

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I can't recommend Understanding Comics enough if you're interested in what makes comic storytelling tick. It's not the end-all of comic theory and it's probably getting dated now, but it's a great intro to the fundamentals.

Edit: Comics theory sounds pretentious but you know what I'm trying to say I hope

mycatscrimes has a new favorite as of 23:44 on Mar 18, 2024

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Samovar posted:

I see the illustrator of RitD went to the Liefeld school of gun design.

This is because big dumb laser guns are objectively cool

Rainbow In The Dark

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

By popular demand posted:

So you're saying he's not sponge worthy?
:jerry:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

cant cook creole bream posted:

Thinking about it, comics are an odd hybrid medium. Unlike a book, you have a chance to paint exact and detailed pictures of the scenes without describing them for hours and unlike a movie you can include quite a lot of internal thoughts without making it tedious. But the more text you use the less you can spent on visuals. It's a weird tradeoff.

Book to movie adaptions often just suck because oftentimes those stories were just constructed for that particular medium and you can't just replace them 1 to 1. I think in theory for comic book adaptions it would be easier to stick a bit closer to the source. (That is, if the source doesn't suck of course.)

Yeah, "tradeoff" is definitely the word I was trying to hunt down. It's interesting to see Prince Valiant as an evolution of this idea- you've got the text below the image, possibly because Foster couldn't bear to cover his beautiful illustrations with ugly speech bubbles. Or Clown Corps, where the gags are all great gags but they are almost too much- they'd work great as an aside in an animation, but almost kill the flow of the comic.
I'm trying to wrap my head around how it is possible to have one person writing and another illustrating a comic- how they would navigate that speech-image tradeoff- particularly in the case of movie adaptations, where what you're doing seems superficially similar to film but is actually drastically different.

mycatscrimes posted:

I can't recommend Understanding Comics enough if you're interested in what makes comic storytelling tick. It's not the end-all of comic theory and it's probably getting dated now, but it's a great intro to the fundamentals.

Edit: Comics theory sounds pretentious but you know what I'm trying to say I hope

Yep. Comics brain isn't art brain+write brain; it's a separate thing! (Anyway I've stopped caring about sounding pretentious, bring it on!)
Have you posted any of your stuff to this thread? or did none of it make it out of the draft stage?

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Tree Bucket posted:

Yeah, "tradeoff" is definitely the word I was trying to hunt down. It's interesting to see Prince Valiant as an evolution of this idea- you've got the text below the image, possibly because Foster couldn't bear to cover his beautiful illustrations with ugly speech bubbles. Or Clown Corps, where the gags are all great gags but they are almost too much- they'd work great as an aside in an animation, but almost kill the flow of the comic.
I'm trying to wrap my head around how it is possible to have one person writing and another illustrating a comic- how they would navigate that speech-image tradeoff- particularly in the case of movie adaptations, where what you're doing seems superficially similar to film but is actually drastically different.

Yep. Comics brain isn't art brain+write brain; it's a separate thing! (Anyway I've stopped caring about sounding pretentious, bring it on!)
Have you posted any of your stuff to this thread? or did none of it make it out of the draft stage?

In general, I try to keep my SA account and my art seperate because my art is all pretty tied to my real name. Thanks for your interest, though! Trust me, my attempts at comics are decades old and not worth looking at, I've learned to embrace visual art with narrative elements instead. : )

cant cook creole bream posted:

A comic I think is really interesting to look at is Nausicaa (the manga version). Maybe it's just me, but the panelling and compositions strike me as very cinematic in a way that is not usual for comics. It works really well and is gorgeous, and I believe at least the first part predates the movie. The reasons it strikes me this way are frustratingly kind of hard to articulate? Scenes are set very clearly, the framing of panel compositions makes me think of the kind of clarity employed by storyboards, and the economy of images, too. I feel like I'm seeing the result of someone very practiced in illustrating key scenes and sequences for animation in a clear way (and of course Miyazaki is, so it's no suprise).

However on the other hand, you have the Watchmen movie, which was talked up for it's visual accuracy and went out of it's way to recreate panels, but still fell short as an adaptation.

mycatscrimes has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Mar 19, 2024

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

Traditionally there'd even be three people involved in that - the script writer writing the dialogue, the artist, and a letterer building the actual speech bubbles.
I think the writer would typically sketch out the rough blocking of panels? I'm not really familiar with how the sausage is made for print comics though.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Writers doing a rough layout used to be the norm but it's been a few decades since it became more common for writers to just give detailed descriptions of what goes on each panel (and that's not even getting into the Marvel Method).

It's also pretty standard to have someone else do the colors, and it used to be pretty standard to also have a separate person do inks (though you see a lot more artists do their own inks these days)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

This is because big dumb laser guns are objectively cool

Rainbow In The Dark

i'm enjoying this

E: I just went to see if I'd want to read ahead but boy the webtoon version just does not work. So looks like you win this time PYF comics thread, I'll stick to thread pace!

Regy Rusty has a new favorite as of 02:51 on Mar 19, 2024

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Yeah, I didn't notice on my first read through but after I learned that that's what they are doing with their other comic, I couldn't stop noticing every time they just zoom in further on the panel for a second dialog bubble.

The PDFs are very cheap at least! You can get the whole series for $8 through Indyplanet, or you can find the whole series as a trade paperback on Amazon for ~$25

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

And now, the thrilling conclusion of One (Groundhog) Day Outing Foreman!

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 35: Beautiful Dream (Finale)

Folk music solves all problems. Here's the song if you're curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbbBR-lTA3g

dokkoi-sho