Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

smellmycheese posted:

soooooo... anyone want to weigh in on the world of bankruptcy? Didnt particularyl want to bring it to the thread but my wife has robbed my business account, taken out fraudulent loans in my name etc. I am essentially hosed and need to declare bankruptcy

Wow, that sucks so much. Sorry to hear it.

I don't have any expe in the world of Bankruptcy, but from the point of view of divorce proceedings (which sound like a necessity after that.) have you reported it to the police?
I know that they possibly aren't going to do much (if she had access to the accounts) but if it comes to the family court you will want an answer to the question of "your wife stole from you? Did you report it to the police?"

Snipe: Bankruptcy in Irish Law is governed by the Bankruptcy Act of 1988. S.70 of same deals with Claims to Property in Possession of a Bankrupt.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

smellmycheese posted:

soooooo... anyone want to weigh in on the world of bankruptcy? Didnt particularyl want to bring it to the thread but my wife has robbed my business account, taken out fraudulent loans in my name etc. I am essentially hosed and need to declare bankruptcy

Firstly have you spoken with the creditors and the police to say it's fraud. If so, what are they saying about it?

What I will say is that if for whatever reason you did need to go BK, it's really not that big of a deal. It's honestly pretty painless.

You fill in the form, you pay the fee, the judge signs off and you pay an amount you can afford for a couple of years. After that you are all clear and don't worry about it ever again.

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice

This looks like a deleted scene from Threads

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

smellmycheese posted:

Talk to https://www.stepchange.org/ - charity that gives debt advice.

I used to work for them before burning out and not wanting to have to go into an office I'd never worked in every day.

Bankruptcy isn't the only insolvency, and they'll go through your finances to work out the best solution to your debt. They don't do business debt though, so you'd need to take legal advice for that.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

...a helicopter?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

T-shirt quote:

quote:

On refunds for the event, which some customers claim they are still to receive, he said: “I am not a scam artist, I am not a con man or anything like that.

I don’t know if the guy has trouble speaking or if “The National” has editing issues but

quote:

“My life has been turned upside, my life is ruined,” he said.

“I genuinely done what I can.”
:eng101:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TACD posted:

T-shirt quote:

I don’t know if the guy has trouble speaking or if “The National” has editing issues but

:eng101:

AI-generated interview

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

ed: Note: Before being declared bankrupt there is an upfront cost payable of £680.
me, smiling and nodding, my ear gently bleeding

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
The £680 is the application fee - you have to pay it even if the Judge decides you don't get to go bankrupt.

And no, you can't put it on a credit card (and have the debt included in the bankruptcy) - that would be fraud. It's surprising how often people came up with that one weird trick.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

i'm voting The Unknown for person of the year

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Renfield posted:

The £680 is the application fee - you have to pay it even if the Judge decides you don't get to go bankrupt.

And no, you can't put it on a credit card (and have the debt included in the bankruptcy) - that would be fraud. It's surprising how often people came up with that one weird trick.

Seems so daft - how are you supposed to pay it if you haven't got the dosh! Unless it's some sort of 'prove you can make repayments' type effort.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

i mean it's an interesting response to the country's roads falling apart but i think the money would be better put towards road repair crews and tarmac

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i hope you are okay smellmycheese because that's bound to take a psychological toll

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah that sucks man, real sorry to hear you’re going through that. Sounds like a solicitor might be a good first port of call.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

crispix posted:

i hope you are okay smellmycheese because that's bound to take a psychological toll

i forgot to add - she's blown the lot on online gambling. On loving fruit machines. mY bussiness money, our house deposit, my bank accout.

I guess taking her to Las Vegas last year was a bad idea

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Renfield posted:

Talk to https://www.stepchange.org/ - charity that gives debt advice.

That's an appropriate name for a charity that starts its consultations by asking what you were doing.

More seriously: that's really awful, smellmycheese. Hopefully there's some way you can avoid liability for some of the loans at least, and there might be some banking protection on the business account?

E: Jesus suffering gently caress, that's even worse.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

i forgot to add - she's blown the lot on online gambling. On loving fruit machines. mY bussiness money, our house deposit, my bank accout.

Jesus Christ that’s brutal man. Were you getting divorced anyway or has this catalysed it?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

Well gently caress. Sorry to hear that smellmycheese. I have nothing productive to add that hasn't already been said other than get a completely separate account only you have access to ready, even if it only has £1.01 in it. Different bank and everything, before you have a bankruptcy against your name. They may well close it on you after but more likely not, and it's a place you can start again.

loving online fruit machines. At least cocaine introduces you to some interesting personalities.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

So sorry mate. When I saw you say your wife had robbed you my first thought was that it was gambling.

lovely situation, hope you're doing OK.

I know a guy who spent £20k on fruit machines over the course of about 2 years. He could basically afford it but obviously still not good. Pretty sure he's since dialled it back. Disgusting bloody things that shouldn't be allowed to exist.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Online gambling is a curse and politicians who take money from those predators should be run out of society. Looking at you Rachel Reeves, Wes Streeting, and Keith.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

crispix posted:

i mean it's an interesting response to the country's roads falling apart but i think the money would be better put towards road repair crews and tarmac

It's more affordable and safer for the rich to take it to the skies so they don't have to sit in the traffic with common hoodlums. And who knows, maybe you will occasionally get a surprise visit from the airlords when the robodrone carrying them over your slum malfunctions and crashes through your bedroom ceiling.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jakabite posted:

Jesus Christ that’s brutal man. Were you getting divorced anyway or has this catalysed it?

No. I loved and trusted her. She had complete control over the business accounts for my media business

Now you’re in TV. Going to have sell all my kit so if you’re ok the market for an FX6, Sachtler tripod, lots of nice lenses and an RS3 gimbal let me know lol

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

Oh my god, that is horrendous. I’m so sorry. You’ll get through this.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

smellmycheese posted:

No. I loved and trusted her. She had complete control over the business accounts for my media business

Now you’re in TV. Going to have sell all my kit so if you’re ok the market for an FX6, Sachtler tripod, lots of nice lenses and an RS3 gimbal let me know lol

Another thing you might need to consider doing is making a public declaration that you are not responsible for her debts - seen notices like that in our local paper on several occasions! I'm not sure if there's a legal form of words for that.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

smellmycheese posted:

You need to call the Police and your bank in that order.

After that I would engage with a solicitor.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
love the smell of hot tarmac, i do

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

serious gaylord posted:

I think this might be too soon to start a new relationship :(

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nenonen posted:

I think this might be too soon to start a new relationship :(

Girls who solicit don't typically do relationships ;)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Aw but she said she really liked me.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I was just writing up a post saying thank you to all the good advice I got last week, but oh Gosh Smellmycheese.

Keep safe and, get in touch with the finance people. If you have a mortgage or anything in a joint name then please look into getting it changed to be in your name only. Also defo get in touch with the police about this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think you should be selling your stuff to cover her gently caress up to be honest, really does seem like this needs to go to the police cos you can't be being held responsible for that.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

Assuming money is tight, if smellmycheese has any kind of insurance (house, car etc) that'll probably come with a legal advice line - even if they didn't take out the Legal Expenses Insurance option on the policy.

That'd be a pace to start with legal advice, before paying for it (The other place is the CAB, but their swamped all the time).

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think you should be selling your stuff to cover her gently caress up to be honest, really does seem like this needs to go to the police cos you can't be being held responsible for that.

Double post cos I just saw this.

smellmycheese posted:

Disposing of assets before going for a bankruptcy (or other insolvency) could be seen as a Bad Thing - get advice before doing this.
(edit)
If the stuff is tools of the trade that you need to have an income, you might not have to get rid of them.

Renfield fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 18, 2024

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Mans been robbed. Best thing he can do is get the police involved and they can freeze assets and at least try and recover something. Prolific gamblers have loads of accounts to get around the spend/loss limiters so there may be some money to claw back.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Also reporting a crime opens up various avenues for legal advice. A lot of solicitors are happy to advise you on what your options are for a very small fee, if not free if you are a victim of a crime.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I get that it's a lot harder cos it's your wife but yeah this is robbery, identity theft, fraud, all that poo poo. You can't be trying to cover the debts someone else has took out in your name by lying, it's not yours to cover by any rights.

Not least cos like, you probably literally can't cover it so it's gonna have to come to legal recourse to get them wiped out. Doesn't make sense for you both to get all your stuff taken because of it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Started to write a 'my 2 cents' advice comment then scrubbed it out, just going to say sorry you're going through all that, really sucks.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Your union may also provide (non-work related) legal advice as a benefit of membership, worth checking.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
That's a terrible situation to be in, gently caress :ohdear: Just know it's not your fault. Personally I would make sure to note down the dates and times that everything happened, including when you found out, as it's surprisingly difficult to recall that info once a few months have passed and you might need to rely on it in future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

God that's a shite predicament, do what the smarter than me people said and get the police & banks notified.