Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Just got to Cosmo Canyon and think I'm gonna take a break and come back and finish rebirth later. The story beats are amazing but Chadley thoroughly ruins all of the open world stuff. He says zero interesting things and he's not funny.

Truly awful design choice forcing the player to listen to his worthless rambling every time you complete a open world point of interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mustang posted:

Just got to Cosmo Canyon and think I'm gonna take a break and come back and finish rebirth later. The story beats are amazing but Chadley thoroughly ruins all of the open world stuff. He says zero interesting things and he's not funny.

Truly awful design choice forcing the player to listen to his worthless rambling every time you complete a open world point of interest.

Mute your controller

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It's not just the sound, it's stopping gameplay for Cloud to pull out his dumb Chadley gizmo. It's unnecessary and I don't want to hear him, let alone zoom in on his face every time he speaks.

It is honestly baffling that square wasted time putting it into the game. Main character may as well be Chadley with how much he has to say. And none of it is interesting!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s like 5 seconds

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
It's not elegant but at least some of the Chadley notifications are skippable just like full on cutscenes are. Hit pause and skip cutscene or hold triangle, though that honestly takes more time. I don't know what it all applies to I remember skipping the calls you get after every summoning shrine.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
My only thoughts on Chadley is that he probably likes shorts because they're comfy and easy to wear

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I don't hate Chadley, but I do think it's weird that they tied so much of the open world side stuff to him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The way people get insanely controller-breaking furious over "a character said a line to me more than once" is just bewildering to me. How do you play other video games?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Because zero of it is interesting or adds to the game in any way.

At least Mai says interesting things about the monsters you're fighting. Chadley just wastes the players time with pointless filler dialogue.

I get it, he wants world Intel. He doesn't need to say it 1000 more times.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mustang posted:

At least Mai says interesting things about the monsters you're fighting. Chadley just wastes the players time with pointless filler dialogue.

Like it's not great but "I'm going to stop playing the game over it" is bonkers. So many games have small meaningless interactions and animations and while it wouldn't hurt if they were gone, I don't know how you can play most games on the market if a 5 second voice clip makes you stop playing a game. poo poo, Dragon's Dogma 2 is going to make some people kill themselves at this rate with Pawn dialogue.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The way people get insanely controller-breaking furious over "a character said a line to me more than once" is just bewildering to me. How do you play other video games?

Some people are just hyper-sensitive to "sights/sounds they don't like." My dad flips out and has to mute the TV any time there's a commercial that annoys him.

Tbh I suspect it's sometimes caused by some untreated mental issue. In my dad's case I'm 90% sure he has ADD, since he's very easily bothered/distracted by things - he can't do phone calls if there's a TV on in the background, for example.

All of this being said, it does kind of annoy me how Chadley has three lines of dialogue every time you talk to him to buy materia or do simulations.

edit: Want to be clear that this isn't some "diagnosing mental illness online" post, which is why I said "sometimes." Some people are also just really irritable, or maybe they're just in a temporary bad/irritable mood. Like if I knew I only had a short time to play, I'd probably be a lot more annoyed by unnecessary time-wasting stuff like the Chadley dialogue.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 18, 2024

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

ImpAtom posted:

It's a very common problem with a lot of videogames

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Some people are just hyper-sensitive to "sights/sounds they don't like." My dad flips out and has to mute the TV any time there's a commercial that annoys him.

Tbh I suspect it's sometimes caused by some untreated mental issue. In my dad's case I'm 90% sure he has ADD, since he's very easily bothered/distracted by things - he can't do phone calls if there's a TV on in the background, for example.

All of this being said, it does kind of annoy me how Chadley has three lines of dialogue every time you talk to him to buy materia or do simulations.

That's fair, I might be being too judgey over it. I know for some people those kind of things can drive them nuts.

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

Mustang posted:

It's this. It's extremely uncomplicated. And even if you don't hate him in the open world, perhaps you might learn to hate him when you fail a couple challenges in the combat simulator so you can get smack-talked by a zero charisma AI as you rearrange materia, or skip collecting world intel (like is sometimes mandated by the plot!) so he can tell you he notices you've been slacking. He just sucks.

MAI is fine. Their interplay is fine, if unfunny. I'm in chapter 11, and unless they radically overhaul his character in the next few chapters, I'm confident saying Chadley sucks and is a detractor on the overall experience.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I enjoy Chadley and his interactions :)

He gave me a CHAD device which was very funny

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lisztless posted:

It's this. It's extremely uncomplicated. And even if you don't hate him in the open world, perhaps you might learn to hate him when you fail a couple challenges in the combat simulator so you can get smack-talked by a zero charisma AI as you rearrange materia, or skip collecting world intel (like is sometimes mandated by the plot!) so he can tell you he notices you've been slacking. He just sucks.

MAI is fine. Their interplay is fine, if unfunny. I'm in chapter 11, and unless they radically overhaul his character in the next few chapters, I'm confident saying Chadley sucks and is a detractor on the overall experience.

Wait, are you seriously upset/bothered by him going "Don't worry, you can always try again" and viewing that as some kind of attack?

Like does this massive hatred boil down to the fact that people think someone being blandly encouraging to them is insulting?

Edit: Honestly this makes it all make more sense to me if somehow people view "a dorky kid encourages you" as some kind of like aggressive insult. The character is a good-natured dorky guy who is seemingly physically incapable of being insulting to anyone not named MAI. That's the entire joke is that everything he does is cheerful and good-natured because he's a giant nerd. Maybe it's something with his voice that makes people view it that way?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 18, 2024

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

A five track preview soundtrack is up on streaming services for anyone who cares.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Is Dragons Dogma 2 going to stop gameplay and zoom in on each pawn? No.

Chadley would be less annoying if Cloud didn't have to stop and pull out his little gadget every time he has something to say.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mustang posted:

Is Dragons Dogma 2 going to stop gameplay and zoom in on each pawn? No.

Chadley would be less annoying if Cloud didn't have to stop and pull out his little gadget every time he has something to say.

"A character stops and listens to another character say words" is a huge portion of video games. Like, yeah, we've gotten to the point where some dialogue happens as you're walking around now, but there's still plenty of cases where you stop and talk to an NPC and can't move around while talking, even if all the NPC has to say is the modern equivalent of "Welcome to Corneria!"

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Heres the secret to dealing with Chadley open world gameplay:

do as little of it as possible. Just enough to get the summon powerups or whatever, if even that. Treat the open world segments like an appetizer, and as soon as you get sick of it move on to the next course

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rhonne posted:

I don't hate Chadley, but I do think it's weird that they tied so much of the open world side stuff to him.

I dunno, part of the reason he exists seems to be to facilitate new game mechanics. And him being the arena fight and open world guy is part of that.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

ImpAtom posted:

Wait, are you seriously upset/bothered by him going "Don't worry, you can always try again" and viewing that as some kind of attack?

Like does this massive hatred boil down to the fact that people think someone being blandly encouraging to them is insulting?

Edit: Honestly this makes it all make more sense to me if somehow people view "a dorky kid encourages you" as some kind of like aggressive insult. The character is a good-natured dorky guy who is seemingly physically incapable of being insulting to anyone not named MAI. That's the entire joke is that everything he does is cheerful and good-natured because he's a giant nerd. Maybe it's something with his voice that makes people view it that way?

Chadley is a socially akward, know it all android wunderkind, who's sharing random facts and advice completely unasked for, stopping the flow of the game all the time, which is annoying by itself and passive aggressive and a bit condescending at times. Some people get annoyed by any of these characteristics seperately, and he has every single one of them.

And he also adds nothing to the game, as his entire thing could have been replicated by another bus stop vending machine. He is only annoying and has no redeeming qualities. He is, quite frankly, impressive in what an unlikeable character he is.

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

ImpAtom posted:

I can't find any video evidence of it on a summary youtube search (and won't look further to avoid spoilers), but when I was bashing my head against the mind flayer combat simulator challenge with the two suicide adds, I exited the simulator to rearrange my materia and he said something along the lines of "oh, perhaps I made this challenge too difficult? I know you'll get it if you try again!"

I'll admit I was already a little tilted, but hearing that passive-aggressive nonsense from a character I was already not fond of put the nail in the coffin for me. :shrug:

And by the way, "massive hatred" is a monumental overstatement of my feelings about this character. He sucks a lot, but after 60 hours my distaste for him is clearly not insurmountable.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Bland posted:

Meanwhile I thought I was safe going into round 5 with with over 150 points and an 85 point lead with only two crappy cactuars remaining in my hand only for the AI to score 87 points while I looked on helplessly :smithicide:

Queen's Blood Nightmarish Survival talk:

I've spent some time trying mine out, and I've gotten 4 or 5 wins with over 100 points each by now, so I'm prepared to call it "pretty dang repeatable". If you wanna try it out, here's the gist:

It's a slighly modified version of the deck from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdZMqxVI5vs

• Replace the Gi Specter with Gi Nattak, and one of the Skeeskees with a Joker.
  • In round 1, play both of the Gigantuar freebies on the top row, then just pass until the round ends. If you win that row and get the chest, place whichever cactuar you get anywhere on the board in round 2. The card draw at the beginning of round 3 stops once your hand reaches 15 cards, so you can't have any cactuars taking up space.
  • Pass until round 4 starts.
  • Start out with the Joker in the top left, then just do your best to set up the same pattern as the video shows.
  • Save Gi Nattak for the very end, and place him over the King Tonberry to double KT's power onto the Joker and the Skeeskee.
  • You have no cards left, so just spend all of round 5 passing.

You gotta keep a couple minor details in mind. When a card dies, the space underneath will only return with one pip, and a few of the cards need more than that (Moogle Trio, J-squad, the 2nd Mindflayer after doing the Resurrected Amalgam double kill), so make sure to play those early so you don't end up with all 1-pip squares and no fodder left to bump them up. You also want to make sure you have a 3-pip square for the J-squad as your penultimate card.

It's very likely you won't be able to set up the 2nd King Tonberry to accumulate power, in which case just feed it to the Mindflayer. It's also quite possible you end up with only 2 or 3 of the Mindflayer's active spaces to work with - that's totally fine too.

It's come very close, but the opponent has never managed to outscore me with this. I have had a few attempts die because I couldn't get the setup in place, though.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 18, 2024

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Chadley was great in Remake and his mannerisms being weird and a bit annoying were part of the joke. Taking that, having it repeat many many times in the open world gameplay and coupling it with an unskippable CHAD module animation tipped it over the edge. I just glazed over after Corel but I can see how you could get infuriated at that.

He would be much better if there was a beedlybeep and he played in the background, without the animation!

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 18, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think he’s a lot better now tbh.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Cephas posted:

Heres the secret to dealing with Chadley open world gameplay:

do as little of it as possible. Just enough to get the summon powerups or whatever, if even that. Treat the open world segments like an appetizer, and as soon as you get sick of it move on to the next course

I would but theres also materia, boss fights and protorelic stuff at which point oops you've done them all.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Chadley moments are there so you have a good free second to smoke weed

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

OK, so chapter 12 runaround stuff I did the four pirate coves and crafted the compass and found a bunch of pirate jetsam. Apparently you can craft things with them but... where are the recipes? My crafting level is just under 16 with all possible things crafted, and all region data complete so there's no more transmuter chips to find. What do I gotta do to use these? Plenty of content farm articles online about what recipes use the jetsam but none of them actually say how you get the recipes! Unless I have to wait for Kid G to finally call me back or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundarr posted:

OK, so chapter 12 runaround stuff I did the four pirate coves and crafted the compass and found a bunch of pirate jetsam. Apparently you can craft things with them but... where are the recipes? My crafting level is just under 16 with all possible things crafted, and all region data complete so there's no more transmuter chips to find. What do I gotta do to use these? Plenty of content farm articles online about what recipes use the jetsam but none of them actually say how you get the recipes! Unless I have to wait for Kid G to finally call me back or something.

You'll need to keep going with the story until you get the call. Note that you can't craft everything until Hard Mode is unlocked. The top-tier stuff requires a maxed out (to that point) crafting level and that requires drops you can only get from Hard Mode.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 18, 2024

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thundarr posted:

I haven't done this myself but as far as I know the recipes are at the end of the protorelic line

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Thundarr posted:

You unlock some recipes that use those from the Battle Square

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Chadley continues to be GOATed

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think he’s a lot better now tbh.

Chadley is fine.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bland posted:

You unlock some recipes that use those from the Battle Square

Thanks, I didn't actually check there yet.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

its cool that the bad guys give you a cool purple sword after beating you up and implying that they'll sell the girls (and the dog and cat?) into sex slavery

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

mst4k posted:

Chadley is fine.

I think an improved Chadley mostly just ends up at Fine, yeah.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mistermojo posted:

its cool that the bad guys give you a cool purple sword after beating you up and implying that they'll sell the girls (and the dog and cat?) into sex slavery

I don't like that sword because I feel like its aesthetic clashes with the setting. Also don't like the crystal sword for similar reasons. The one after that is cool, though.

My favorite type of weapon to get is Barret guns, since it's always fun seeing what badass new gun-hand he's getting next.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I do miss Barret's melee weapons even if objectively they sucked and I never used them, and even when they gave me their move in Rebirth I still barely used them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

ImpAtom posted:

I do miss Barret's melee weapons even if objectively they sucked and I never used them, and even when they gave me their move in Rebirth I still barely used them.

It was very funny to use Maximum Fury with them equipped, though.