Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rappaport posted:

Serial killer chit-chat, the Dahmer Netflix miniseries was good, it portrayed him as the weird goober that he was, and the cops as mostly awful morons.

Mindhunter is great too, maybe one of my favorite shows recently. For anyone as clueless as I was, it's about the feds interviewing serial killers (they come up with the name) and trying to document and classify their behavior. Some of it would be seen as BS later, but the more rigorous approach is still a huge change compared to what was happening before. Based on the real thing, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
I remember my commute times got shorter for some reason.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

It was very well made but man by the end I was questioning if we really needed a well made Dahmer show, or if I needed to watch it. It was extremely disturbing.
He gets a lot of attention above other famous serial killers because of the cannibalism angle

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Nervous posted:

Traffic was amaaaaaazing on the E47

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rappaport posted:

Serial killer chit-chat, the Dahmer Netflix miniseries was good, it portrayed him as the weird goober that he was, and the cops as mostly awful morons.

yeah, most of these guys are weird goober proto goons OR just weird reactionary assholes who are deeply hosed up from birth or child hood.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It was very well made but man by the end I was questioning if we really needed a well made Dahmer show, or if I needed to watch it. It was extremely disturbing.

Well yeah, it's a well-made adaptation of real world events. If someone's going in expecting a whimsical take on the material, I'm not sure what the response to that should be

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nervous posted:

Did you eat all the other commuters?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Like I don't think the Zodiac case is going to ever get solved at this point. All of the potential suspects are now dead I believe, and I'm not sure if there is any surviving DNA evidence from the crime scenes.

If there's no DNA, and the suspects and any potential witnesses are either dead or now unreliable due to age, it's not going to happen

I think another aspect now is the computers are all interconnected. So if you put into your computer: women, age, and how they died it will pull up other similar cases and police are (maybe) quicker to put all of it together.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Rappaport posted:

Well yeah, it's a well-made adaptation of real world events. If someone's going in expecting a whimsical take on the material, I'm not sure what the response to that should be

I mean I knew what to expect, I just question if we needed this story made into a TV series. Near the end when people were making sensational comics or whatever and the show seemed to be criticizing people making a cash grab when it comes to what Dahmer did it seemed incoherent. Unless that was supposed to read as self aware, which to me it didn’t.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Xand_Man posted:

Lemme see, March 2020, what was I doing then?

I was experiencing the fun of being one of the first Covid cases in the northeast, at a time when there was barely ways to test for it let alone treat it. That was fun.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I was experiencing the fun of being one of the first Covid cases in the northeast, at a time when there was barely ways to test for it let alone treat it. That was fun.

Thank you for your service, Patient Zero

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I mean I knew what to expect, I just question if we needed this story made into a TV series. Near the end when people were making sensational comics or whatever and the show seemed to be criticizing people making a cash grab when it comes to what Dahmer did it seemed incoherent. Unless that was supposed to read as self aware, which to me it didn’t.

To pick a random example, I know there's people who genuinely think Homelander is the hero of his story, and I'm still not sure if the goon whose shtick was insisting Stormfront wasn't a nazi until the girls beat her was doing a funny or not, but I don't really see the moral hazard here. Dahmer the netflix show wasn't glorifying him, or trying to "understand" him in any sympathetic way IMO. He was shown doing awful poo poo, repeatedly, and the systems that purport to exist to stop folks like him failing miserably and also repeatedly. Are we really afraid this would have a perceptibly larger risk of making susceptible people "snap" than any "true crime" docudrama? Finagle knows there's dozens of those.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Rappaport posted:

To pick a random example, I know there's people who genuinely think Homelander is the hero of his story, and I'm still not sure if the goon whose shtick was insisting Stormfront wasn't a nazi until the girls beat her was doing a funny or not, but I don't really see the moral hazard here. Dahmer the netflix show wasn't glorifying him, or trying to "understand" him in any sympathetic way IMO. He was shown doing awful poo poo, repeatedly, and the systems that purport to exist to stop folks like him failing miserably and also repeatedly. Are we really afraid this would have a perceptibly larger risk of making susceptible people "snap" than any "true crime" docudrama? Finagle knows there's dozens of those.

Yeah this is something different from a problematic character like Homelander. And I’m not saying it’s going to make anybody snap.

I’m not even really sure I think Dahmer shouldn’t have been made. It’s just one of the first shows I’ve watched where by the end I’m like “this was well made, I don’t think there are any choices made that should’ve been changed, and I’m just really disturbed and wonder why this is considered entertainment.”

But, like, I sat there and watched the whole thing. So I was entertained on some level, because it’s not like I had to. Maybe it’s just self reflection and not wanting to be entertained by something like Dahmer.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. they still exist and are still doing horrible crimes, but the ones that did it for imfamy and stuff just do mass shootings now because its quicker and easier.

Kind of like how there's a whole class of political assassination that basically doesn't happen anymore (at least not here in the U.S.) because the angry, disaffected young dudes looking to make a political statement just shoot up Walmarts and houses of worship now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Fighting Trousers posted:

Kind of like how there's a whole class of political assassination that basically doesn't happen anymore (at least not here in the U.S.) because the angry, disaffected young dudes looking to make a political statement just shoot up Walmarts and houses of worship now.
Well it used to be that you could walk right up to Presidents and just shoot them if you wanted. That happened way too often. It feels like we didn't take Presidential assassinations seriously until JFK.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ah, that classic problem, the Travis Bickle Pickle.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think another aspect now is the computers are all interconnected. So if you put into your computer: women, age, and how they died it will pull up other similar cases and police are (maybe) quicker to put all of it together.

I think the percentage of murders that lead to an arrest is declining. Part of that is probably that it's getting harder for police to arrest someone with minimal evidence, but we already know that they don't do their jobs.

I wonder if anything would happen if some progressive prosecutor hired staff to investigate unsolved crimes and ran on "look at all the murders the police were too lazy to solve".

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well it used to be that you could walk right up to Presidents and just shoot them if you wanted. That happened way too often. It feels like we didn't take Presidential assassinations seriously until JFK.

I think it wasn’t until two failed attempts on Gerald Ford in quick succession in 1975 that there were major changes to security.

plogo fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 18, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Then Reagan got shot just outside of his limo

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah this is something different from a problematic character like Homelander. And I’m not saying it’s going to make anybody snap.

I’m not even really sure I think Dahmer shouldn’t have been made. It’s just one of the first shows I’ve watched where by the end I’m like “this was well made, I don’t think there are any choices made that should’ve been changed, and I’m just really disturbed and wonder why this is considered entertainment.”

But, like, I sat there and watched the whole thing. So I was entertained on some level, because it’s not like I had to. Maybe it’s just self reflection and not wanting to be entertained by something like Dahmer.

I think we're on the same page, mostly. It is a differently disturbing experience than gruesome fiction, and I'm not sure I'd want to re-visit the show again.

Maybe entertainment is the wrong word for something like this. Is a devout Christian entertained by the Passion of the Christ? But anyway, this tangent started (sort of) by the conversation about how serial killers are portrayed in fiction like Dexter vs. how the real murderers actually are.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. they still exist and are still doing horrible crimes, but the ones that did it for imfamy and stuff just do mass shootings now because its quicker and easier.

It's also a lot harder to get away with two murders and then continue to the third one these days. The likelihood that they will find your DNA on both sites and start a manhunt is pretty good. And everyone carries a cellphone these days so you might get caught while attempting the first murder. It's hard to become a celebrated serial killer if they catch you before you get a good streak going, Netflix don't give participation trophies y'know.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Nenonen posted:

It's also a lot harder to get away with two murders and then continue to the third one these days. The likelihood that they will find your DNA on both sites and start a manhunt is pretty good. And everyone carries a cellphone these days so you might get caught while attempting the first murder. It's hard to become a celebrated serial killer if they catch you before you get a good streak going, Netflix don't give participation trophies y'know.

People just don't want to serial kill anymore.

I blame Millennials.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Then Reagan got shot just outside of his limo

It's incredible that Obama survived eight years not getting murdered by some white pride birther gun nut, and a testament to the surveillance state created after 2001.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

plogo posted:

I think it wasn’t until two failed attempts on Gerald Ford in quick succession in 1975 that there were major changes to security.

I didnt know people tried to whack Ford so a quick trip to wikipedia yields Attempted assassination of Gerald Ford in Sacramento and Attempted assassination of Gerald Ford in San Francisco.

Both women, both failed not knowing how guns work, kinda weird. Though only one was a political violence type and the other was a Manson cultist.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nenonen posted:

It's incredible that Obama survived eight years not getting murdered by some white pride birther gun nut, and a testament to the surveillance state created after 2001.

There was that one time an armed nobody accidentally ended up in the same elevator as him. Fortunately that person didn’t want to go down in history

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

There was that one time an armed nobody accidentally ended up in the same elevator as him. Fortunately that person didn’t want to go down in history

And the time that someone with a knife jumped the White House fence and almost made it to the White House residence before the Secret Service noticed.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

There was also that time that GWB was almost taken out by a pretzel.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Like I don't think the Zodiac case is going to ever get solved at this point. All of the potential suspects are now dead I believe, and I'm not sure if there is any surviving DNA evidence from the crime scenes.

If there's no DNA, and the suspects and any potential witnesses are either dead or now unreliable due to age, it's not going to happen

They apparently have an envelope he sent to either the cops or media with DNA on it, iirc. I think they’re just waiting for the technology to get more reliable since it’s a one shot deal.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Oracle posted:

They apparently have an envelope he sent to either the cops or media with DNA on it, iirc. I think they’re just waiting for the technology to get more reliable since it’s a one shot deal.

2180: DNA tests are done on the Zodiac Killer envelope and Ted Cruz's body is exhumed.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Nenonen posted:

There was also that time that GWB was almost taken out by a pretzel.

I'm also still amazed that guy was able to get close enough to throw a shoe at GWB, but I'm sure it's more challenging to keep things secure outside the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU0RaRvJ0PQ

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

also the people who are hosed up enough to commit that poo poo usually arnt people with a "better" motivation. they are either weird nihlists who want to blow their brains out but dont want to go alone and so they get into idealizing harris and klebold or whatever,. reactionary weirdos who get fried on /pol/ and want to kill a bunch of "them" or just loving nutjobs who are who are usually a mix of both of the previous but also add on some weird motivation. like the danny phantom shooter who was like 2 hours away from me.

Nenonen posted:

yeah pretty much.

i think the issue of true crime in general is that its extreamly easy to gently caress it up or be exploitive, like LPOTL and couple other shows walk a balanjce of "holy poo poo this is ghoulish and these guys are sad sacks of poo poo" to "look at the families they hurt". the issue is alot of true crime is either just gory details junkie shir, right wing fear monger poo poo, or "actually super killer was just super misunderstood/hero" poo poo. i like jack olsen because he correctly focuses on the victims and their families and the aftermaths but very clearly pains the monsters as human but really pathetic pieces of poo poo.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Once Jodie Foster stopped ordering people to kill the President, the assassination attempt figures really dropped.

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm also still amazed that guy was able to get close enough to throw a shoe at GWB, but I'm sure it's more challenging to keep things secure outside the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU0RaRvJ0PQ

He was a reporter who was sitting in the audience.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I blame Millennials.

i mean i think alot of it is "why go through all the effort when i can just walk into some public place and try to kill as many people before i kill myself, then i will be rememered forever"(unless its an under 10 body count, then no one will care after a day).

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Nenonen posted:

I honestly never thought he was going to live through 8 years when he was elected. It shocked me.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean i think alot of it is "why go through all the effort when i can just walk into some public place and try to kill as many people before i kill myself, then i will be rememered forever"(unless its an under 10 body count, then no one will care after a day).

Shows that the new generation just doesn't have the attention span to do things properly and demands instant gratification

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

I honestly never thought he was going to live through 8 years when he was elected. It shocked me.
I do wonder how many near-misses there were that never made it into the public record.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I blame Millennials.

There is this guy who says he has data to show serial killers are operating they're just getting ignored:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/metabrown/2017/12/09/data-analytics-takes-on-serial-killers-aspiring-data-scientists-try-this-at-home/

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

A tale of two housing policies:

Arizona Governor vetoes a bipartisan housing bill over concerns that it isn't "balanced" in considering current homeownership home values and building new housing because it errs too far on the side of new construction. Also, because the Department of Defense objected to increased density and new construction near military bases.

The DoD complaint seems like a fig leaf that could easily be changed and it is mostly about appeasing people who are terrified about new housing attracting traffic/crime or reducing property values.

https://twitter.com/brahmresnik/status/1769799663010349119
https://twitter.com/brahmresnik/status/1769802308370465074

On the other hand, the WSJ reports on Austin's rapid homebuilding project, but frames it as a negative because rents and home values have fallen 7% since they started allowing significantly more housing construction and engaged in "overbuilding" according to the WSJ.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1769710393125974503

quote:

Once America’s Hottest Housing Market, Austin Is Running in Reverse

The Sunbelt city that came to symbolize the pandemic housing boom is now leading a national property cool-down.

Home prices and apartment rents in Austin, Texas, have fallen more than anywhere else in the country, after a period of overbuilding and a slowdown in job and population growth.

That marks a sharp reversal from previous years when Austin’s real-estate market was sizzling.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

A tale of two housing policies:

Arizona Governor vetoes a bipartisan housing bill over concerns that it isn't "balanced" in considering current homeownership home values and building new housing because it errs too far on the side of new construction. Also, because the Department of Defense objected to increased density and new construction near military bases.

The DoD complaint seems like a fig leaf that could easily be changed and it is mostly about appeasing people who are terrified about new housing attracting traffic/crime or reducing property values.

https://twitter.com/brahmresnik/status/1769799663010349119
https://twitter.com/brahmresnik/status/1769802308370465074

On the other hand, the WSJ reports on Austin's rapid homebuilding project, but frames it as a negative because rents and home values have fallen 7% since they started allowing significantly more housing construction and engaged in "overbuilding" according to the WSJ.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1769710393125974503

No market response to price increases, number go up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Hasn't there been a ton of stuff that's come out in the last several years regarding DNA being kind of a bunk science, or at least pretty bad as it's applied to criminology? I thought I read stuff about it here on SA. Quick googling brought up an Atlantic article that was paywalled but there were also a few law web sites and a jstor article that came up referencing that the reliability of DNA evidence does not live up to its reputation.

e: some problems I see briefly glancing at what I can seem to be that "experts" are often as questionable as many a coroner, with completely unqualified people working in the role, and the fact that DNA evidence is rarely found or preserved in good enough condition to be as accurate as it potentially could be with specimens in perfect condition (ie a state pretty rare for crime scene dna to be found in).

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 18, 2024