Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Professor Beetus posted:

Hasn't there been a ton of stuff that's come out in the last several years regarding DNA being kind of a bunk science, or at least pretty bad as it's applied to criminology? I thought I read stuff about it here on SA. Quick googling brought up an Atlantic article that was paywalled but there were also a few law web sites and a jstor article that came up referencing that the reliability of DNA evidence does not live up to its reputation.

DNA is fine i believe, its just a bunch of surrounding stuff that is mixed.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There is this guy who says he has data to show serial killers are operating they're just getting ignored:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/metabrown/2017/12/09/data-analytics-takes-on-serial-killers-aspiring-data-scientists-try-this-at-home/

this. there are still tons of serial killers out there. its just they tend to target people who the media and cops dont give a gently caress about(unhoused, native americans, POC, LGBTQ ) and probably in places people wont miss them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
DNA is a fine forensic tool and not junk science, cops are just... not, overall, good at their jobs, and that ends up reflected in how they use their tools.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

A tale of two housing policies:

Arizona Governor vetoes a bipartisan housing bill over concerns that it isn't "balanced" in considering current homeownership home values and building new housing because it errs too far on the side of new construction.

it's often unspoken, but this rational is why i'm confident that the national affordability crisis will continue unless and until a seismic social event forces a change

pew research found last year that the median homeowner has 45% of their overall net worth in their primary residence. it's higher for non-white ethnicities. given the significant uncertainty most households express about their ability to retire, very few homeowners will support policies that would significantly improve affordability, it would make their own precarious retirement situation even worse

https://www.pewresearch.org/race-ethnicity/2023/12/04/the-assets-households-own-and-the-debts-they-carry/

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Home prices in Phoenix are insane. A friend purchased her house in 2016 for 115k. It's now worth around 400k. I've seen townhouses that sold for 20k in 2012 going for over 200k now. I don't see how it's sustainable.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dapper_Swindler posted:

DNA is fine i believe, its just a bunch of surrounding stuff that is mixed.

GlyphGryph posted:

DNA is a fine forensic tool and not junk science, cops are just... not, overall, good at their jobs, and that ends up reflected in how they use their tools.

I'm not saying it's junk science, but if collection, storage, and analysis are all plagued with problems from start to finish because of the incompetence of the people handling it, and there's a solid chance of contamination even before that, it just doesn't seem like the 99% accurate silver bullet as portrayed by both fictional and news media.

e: oh I did say bunk science in my original post, not what I meant, sorry

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 18, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Professor Beetus posted:

Hasn't there been a ton of stuff that's come out in the last several years regarding DNA being kind of a bunk science, or at least pretty bad as it's applied to criminology? I thought I read stuff about it here on SA. Quick googling brought up an Atlantic article that was paywalled but there were also a few law web sites and a jstor article that came up referencing that the reliability of DNA evidence does not live up to its reputation.

e: some problems I see briefly glancing at what I can seem to be that "experts" are often as questionable as many a coroner, with completely unqualified people working in the role, and the fact that DNA evidence is rarely found or preserved in good enough condition to be as accurate as it potentially could be with specimens in perfect condition (ie a state pretty rare for crime scene dna to be found in).
I know Radley Balko (who writes a lot about criminology and the police) has done a bunch of writing about how much junk science there is like bite mark analysis, or blood spatter analysis

poop device
Mar 6, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it's often unspoken, but this rational is why i'm confident that the national affordability crisis will continue unless and until a seismic social event forces a change

pew research found last year that the median homeowner has 45% of their overall net worth in their primary residence. it's higher for non-white ethnicities. given the significant uncertainty most households express about their ability to retire, very few homeowners will support policies that would significantly improve affordability, it would make their own precarious retirement situation even worse

https://www.pewresearch.org/race-ethnicity/2023/12/04/the-assets-households-own-and-the-debts-they-carry/

I am concerned that, like the transition to dual-income families that started in the 1970's, people are more likely to transition to multi-family and multi-generational homes than to work towards any beneficial social or legal change. IE people retiring to live with their children rather than working to affect change to laws regarding retirement.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Push El Burrito posted:

Home prices in Phoenix are insane. A friend purchased her house in 2016 for 115k. It's now worth around 400k. I've seen townhouses that sold for 20k in 2012 going for over 200k now. I don't see how it's sustainable.

2008 taught us that housing prices will always go up forever, and that making decisions based on that fact is very, very wise.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

I know Radley Balko (who writes a lot about criminology and the police) has done a bunch of writing about how much junk science there is like bite mark analysis, or blood spatter analysis

I had a long conversation with a forensic tech once where he flat out acknowledged that firearm forensics and ballistic analysis are basically junk science, and that there's not much evidence to support the idea that someone can conclusively prove that any given bullet definitely came from any given gun. The way he put it is that the best they can do is say with decent confidence when a bullet definitely didn't come from a specific gun, but even then it sounds like it comes down to a lot of unscientific judgment calls on the part of the ballistics expert.

That said I did some looking around after that conversation and for every paper saying "this is all bunk" you can find a couple that say "with appropriate training it's highly accurate" but I don't know enough to evaluate the accuracy of either claim.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Also, because the Department of Defense objected to increased density and new construction near military bases.

The DoD complaint seems like a fig leaf that could easily be changed and it is mostly about appeasing people who are terrified about new housing attracting traffic/crime or reducing property values.

DoD never likes having residential stuff too close to bases because it's bad publicity when something they own crashes into a residential building.

https://www.cnn.com/2012/04/06/us/virginia-plane-crash/index.html

Luckily, it happened in the middle of the day, and no one was home at the time of the crash, so there weren't any fatalities. The governor's citation of DoD's stance is pretty much just out of convenience, in my opinion; DoD opposition to having anything close to a base is basically a permanent fixture everywhere.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

I had a long conversation with a forensic tech once where he flat out acknowledged that firearm forensics and ballistic analysis are basically junk science, and that there's not much evidence to support the idea that someone can conclusively prove that any given bullet definitely came from any given gun. The way he put it is that the best they can do is say with decent confidence when a bullet definitely didn't come from a specific gun, but even then it sounds like it comes down to a lot of unscientific judgment calls on the part of the ballistics expert.

That said I did some looking around after that conversation and for every paper saying "this is all bunk" you can find a couple that say "with appropriate training it's highly accurate" but I don't know enough to evaluate the accuracy of either claim.

With ballistics analysis you typically can't prove that it came from that specific gun. Guns tend to be too mass produced for that. Exceptions do exist, rarely. However, you can prove that it came from that MODEL of gun, which usually tends to narrow things down a lot. That's why it is used in conjunction with proving that someone has that model of gun. It means that they had the means to have done the killing with that sort of gun.

It does, in fact, boil down to "with appropriate training it's highly accurate" which is true of pretty much all science stuff. Which is why people can get away with calling a lot of that stuff bunk, because well....... appropriate training? Police? It's not more likely than you'd think.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lumpy posted:

2008 taught us that housing prices will always go up forever, and that making decisions based on that fact is very, very wise.

This has generally been the case over the long term even when you do consider recovery from 2008. There’s a lot of wishful thinking in the belief that numbers have to crash just because they’re high.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Housing can not continue to grow at a rate that outpaces inflation/wage increases without ceasing to function as housing.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

poop device posted:

I am concerned that, like the transition to dual-income families that started in the 1970's, people are more likely to transition to multi-family and multi-generational homes than to work towards any beneficial social or legal change. IE people retiring to live with their children rather than working to affect change to laws regarding retirement.

Multi generational housing had been the norm before the 20th century, it's just a reversion to the norm.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

e: some problems I see briefly glancing at what I can seem to be that "experts" are often as questionable as many a coroner, with completely unqualified people working in the role, and the fact that DNA evidence is rarely found or preserved in good enough condition to be as accurate as it potentially could be with specimens in perfect condition (ie a state pretty rare for crime scene dna to be found in).

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the basic concept of using DNA analysis to identify people, but real-life crime scenes often don't provide sufficient-quality evidence to be able to reliably obtain exact matches, and the actual process of figuring out partial matches is often just made up by forensics people based on gut feeling, with no real scientific or statistical work being done to examine the methods used. However, because juries have a high opinion of forensic techniques' reliability, and forensics teams themselves are in the position of trying to make a conviction, it's typical for forensic identifications to be given far greater credence than is really merited.

For example, fingerprints on their own are fairly reliable for identifying people. If someone who does fingerprinting for a day job takes someone's prints twice, it's going to be pretty easy to tell that the two prints are from the same person. But in real-world crime scenes, you're more likely to see something like a badly-smudged half-a-fingerprint. How do you tell if that print that you can barely even see any details of is the same as the high-quality print you just took off a subject? It's basically up to the subjective judgment of the fingerprint examiner whether those two prints are from the same person or not, and very little actual scientific work has been done in that particular field. While fingerprint examiners do have their own procedures and techniques, they're largely pseudoscientific stuff, invented by cops rather than scientists, that's never really been studied or evaluated.

And in fact there have been several high-profile cases where forensic fingerprint identifications were found to be mistaken. Some of them were simply human error on the part of the examiners, while others involved police agencies deliberately exaggerating fingerprint evidence for their own purposes, and there's even been cases where the police outright faked fingerprint evidence. But because forensic evidence is generally held in high regard by the population, and is difficult to challenge because of its reliance on the opinions of individual experts, it's rare for fingerprint misidentifications to ever be discovered, and so there's probably a lot more misidentifications (both unintentional and intentional) than anyone actually knows about.

Pretty much all of that applies to DNA as well. While we're pretty good at "this strand of DNA is exactly like this other strand of DNA" when working with lab samples, crime scene DNA is often in poor condition and provides an incomplete partial profile that's incapable of producing an actual exact match, leaving it up to the personal judgment of the investigators and analysts to determine who that DNA might be pointing to. There have also been a number of cases where DNA evidence turned out to be incorrect for some reason. But again, because DNA evidence is held in such high regard (even moreso than fingerprints), it's extremely difficult to challenge, and usually bad matches are discovered only in egregious cases, such as the suspect being in a coma during the time period the murder was thought to have occurred during.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

MockingQuantum posted:

They didn't even say they could confirm the caliber in the trial I was on but did report the weight of all the fragments of each bullet and that it was approximately the weight of a .40 bullet.

The DNA evidence was all expressed in probable match and didn't really help one side or the other, it felt like they only tested it to show they tried or something.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Being horrified at how many of my fellow human beings were complaining that washing your hands for 10 seconds straight was way too long and took forever. Then, learning that about 40% of American men say they don't use soap to wash their hands after using the bathroom.

I have seen people in my company's bathroom where they just wave their hand under the faucet to start the water and then leave. I guess they're just doing it for appearances? Like wtf. Also people taking a poo poo and being on a meeting at the same time. loving gross. I don't even bring my phone into the bathroom because it's loving gross.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Rumors are circling that RFK Jr. has picked Nicole Shanahan as his VP candidate.

Who is Nicole Shanahan?

-president of the Bia-Echo Foundation, a private foundation that invests in DEI/ESG buzzwords

-former wife of Google founder Sergey Brin

-Major donor to American Values 2024, the group behind the RFK Jr. Super Bowl ad

-Donor to Buttigieg and Williamson in 2020

-Someone willing to just ask questions about vaccines

haveblue fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 18, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

haveblue posted:

Rumors are circling that RFK Jr. has picked Nicole Shanahan as his VP candidate.

Who is Nicole Shanahan?

-president of the Bia-Echo Foundation, a private foundation that invests in DEI buzzwords

-former wife of Google founder Sergei Brin

-Major donor to American Values 2024, the group behind the RFK Jr. Super Bowl ad

Vaccine skeptic, Marianne Williamson/Pete donor, and Elon Musk fucker is a weird personal political journey.

quote:

In 2022, the Wall Street Journal reported that Brin had filed for divorce after Shanahan allegedly had a brief affair with tech billionaire Elon Musk.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

Who is Nicole Shanahan?

-president of the Bia-Echo Foundation, a private foundation that invests in DEI/ESG buzzwords

-former wife of Google founder Sergey Brin

Based off the first entry, I severely doubt it's her, just because of the DEI/ESG connections.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

PharmerBoy posted:

Housing can not continue to grow at a rate that outpaces inflation/wage increases without ceasing to function as housing.

Up here in western Canada we call housing an investment.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

SpeedFreek posted:

They didn't even say they could confirm the caliber in the trial I was on but did report the weight of all the fragments of each bullet and that it was approximately the weight of a .40 bullet.

The DNA evidence was all expressed in probable match and didn't really help one side or the other, it felt like they only tested it to show they tried or something.

I recall some prosecutor or whoever complaining years ago about the CSI: Placename effect where juries expected DNA evidence all the time for every sort of crime. “Pretty great case for wirefraud, but where’s the DNA evidence?”

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Young Freud posted:

Based off the first entry, I severely doubt it's her, just because of the DEI/ESG connections.

Why? RFK's views don't fall significantly into any particular American political group's positions. He has supported various environmental causes and supported the Green New Deal, for example.

He's certainly more aligned with the right wing nowadays but he's not exactly discount Trump. A lot of his medical and scientific views would have been just as associated with left-wing movements a decade ago or 2 ago.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 18, 2024

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Vaccine skeptic, Marianne Williamson/Pete donor, and Elon Musk fucker is a weird personal political journey.

Not really. Musk and Williamson are both vaccine skeptics too. And Musk wasn't widely regarded as a political figure back when the alleged affair supposedly took place.

Besides, her Buttigieg donations were pre-COVID.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Oracle posted:

They apparently have an envelope he sent to either the cops or media with DNA on it, iirc. I think they’re just waiting for the technology to get more reliable since it’s a one shot deal.
What? They can fully sequence it now. What are they waiting for?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
According to an FBI whistleblower the FBI ran the DNA and learned who it belonged to years ago but the guy it belonged has since died so they refuse to officially close the case.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm also still amazed that guy was able to get close enough to throw a shoe at GWB, but I'm sure it's more challenging to keep things secure outside the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU0RaRvJ0PQ

I mean short of a plexi glass barrier you can lob a shoe pretty drat far

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. yeah. i think the media does a diservice by paining most serial killers as like these super smart dexter types. most arnt, they are usually fundimentally busted human beings that make trump look empathetic. i always recomment reading jack olsens book about true crime because it mostly focuses on the victims/families and also shows that most of these monsters as pathetic pieces of poo poo.

There's a great book called Violence by James Gilligan that does a series of case studies on murderers. Lots of weird magical thinking stuff.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

If there was only one house, its value would approach infinity. Therefore destroy all housing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mendrian posted:

If there was only one house, its value would approach infinity. Therefore destroy all housing.

To acquire the Number One House you must first defeat and acquire the Number Two House.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mendrian posted:

build the space elevator house

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Build one house with 8 billion apartments, use the rest of the planet for sustainable farming and energy

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

haveblue posted:

Build one house with 8 billion apartments, use the rest of the planet for sustainable farming and energy

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The Artificial Kid posted:

What? They can fully sequence it now. What are they waiting for?
looks like they did send it in in 2018. No word yet though.They’ve apparently done it every few years for years but never had good enough samples come of it. From 2018, after the Golden State Killer was found:

quote:

Vallejo Mayor Bob Sampayan said the samples were sent to the lab as a matter of routine. Sampayan, a former homicide detective, said police submit samples every couple of years in hopes that advances in DNA testing will finally yield a profile detectives can use.

They can now use human hair (without the root)! So if you have one of those death lockets or whatever with your dead ancestors hair in it you could get that tested.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

To acquire the Number One House you must first defeat and acquire the Number Two House.

There can only be one Master (the house) and one Apprentice (the garage).

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

WH 40k hive world when

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DarkHorse posted:

WH 40k hive world when

Well, on one hand, we live in a sewer where all the water is chemical factory runoff, we can get some low-end soilent green if we're lucky, and the indigenous man-eating monsters who lived here before there was ever a human are now thriving.

On the other hand, we don't pay rent.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Push El Burrito posted:

They'll figure out a loan program.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Name Change posted:

Well, on one hand, we live in a sewer where all the water is chemical factory runoff, we can get some low-end soilent green if we're lucky, and the indigenous man-eating monsters who lived here before there was ever a human are now thriving.

On the other hand, we don't pay rent.

This would be a lot better if I could finally roll a Toughness or Wounds increase instead of all these marginally useful skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/davidfolkenflik/status/1770109731996045314

Gannet owns dozens of major dailies, they will not be able to replicate AP coverage in house. They will just not have those stories anymore. It's hard for me to imagine publishing a major daily without AP stories, especially foreign bureaus.