Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Whorelord posted:

Anti-travel people (as the other poster said, raicsts and xenophobes) fascinate me. Even being from the UK where people go abroad far more often than in the USA (too often, some say) I've had some bizarre reactions to the places I've gone. Multiple people seem to think that "Taken" is a documentary given how some people reacted when I told them I was going to Albania on holiday.

I was at a pub quiz and the team that won the main event by a big margin also won first choice at the raffle and took the nice bottle of wine and the giant bar of toblerone.

Man I went to a large raffle at a 420 event decades ago that had a shitton of prizes and, wouldn't ya know it, the people hosting the event won nearly every prize.
(On a compassionate note, the guy who the grand prize of "an ounce a month for life" gave it to a disabled person who was diagnosed with severe epilepsy instead.)

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

A titty bar is a strip club. They dance and actually get naked (or nearly) and may do private dances and the like.

A breastaurant is like Hooters. It’s just a restaurant but the waitresses are all dressed skimpily and supposed to be hot. Hooters and Twin Peaks are the big ones. Tilted Kilt is supposed to be but honestly the two times I’ve been in one they were dressed about the same as any other Irish bar/restaurant. Worse food though.

Ok what the gently caress, I would be super disappointed to walk into a place called Twin Peaks that was about boobs. I got boobs at home, I want the Kyle MacLachlan special!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

The Bramble posted:

Here’s a woman who needs to be more honest with herself about what she’s upset about

I (25f) am disturbed by my boyfriend's (25m) apathy towards global causes

She's kinda missing the forest for the trees here - this weird book's not the issue, but his politics are?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Still kind of reeling from the fact that some people refuse to travel :psyduck:

Deified Data posted:

She's kinda missing the forest for the trees here - this weird book's not the issue, but his politics are?

Like The Bramble said, it's probably a cover for what she might actually feel bad about, but isn't willing to admit to Reddit or maybe even herself.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

The Bramble posted:

Here’s a woman who needs to be more honest with herself about what she’s upset about

Honestly? Given his lovely politics, BF probably only travelled because he wanted to gently caress as many nationalities as possible, as some kinda creepy personal goal. Like why the gently caress else would you carefully document the nationalities of all your sexual partners?

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

The Bramble posted:

quote:

How can you have managed to see so much of the world and be so ignorant and just breeze through life never being stressed about anything.

quote:

conventionally attractive white guy with rich parents and a good job
truly a mystery for the ages

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
Reading my boyfriend's weird sex journal The issue with this is that he played Animal Crossing during the George Floyd protests.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

DemoneeHo posted:

My (33M), parents (79M, 70F), have removed me from their will and inheritance due to the fact I greatly enjoy traveling.

I'd call them racist and xenophobic in addition to being anti-travel. But uh yeah, live your best life without them or their money, op.

This "anti-travel" thing is new and baffling to me.

I can understand the small town/country town American frog in a well thinking. Or the fear/belief that foreign places are scary and filled with people of different levels of melanin who talk funny and you can't buy the American brand of mayonnaise. etc. But the way OP describes it, these people go far beyond that.

Also, bloke is 33. His parents insane beliefs have gently caress all to do with his holiday plans. If he can afford to go on his travel holidays without his parents millions, then gently caress em. Enjoy your life, see the world, and treat the inheritance like cake. i.e It would be nice if you could have it, but you can't, and not having it doesn't make your life worse in any way. Just not as good/better as it could have been.

And I agree with the other people in this thread saying that if these hosed up stay at home minnionaires are prepared to disinherit their son over the fact that he occasionally takes a bus to Ontario or Tijuana, then they are prepared/willing/able to disinherit him over something equally petty/baffling.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeah whenever someone is like 'eh I woulda sucked it up to get the money from my rich parent', I'm like lol you really don't understand how much of your life you have to perform to get that poo poo. It's a loving devil's bargain and you're selling a chunk of yourself for it, just a whole -rear end piece of flesh from your midsection minimum, to keep your parents happy. How much of yourself can you parcel off and sell for the inheritance before there's none left? Before you've hacked away so much, you've been shaped into something unrecognizable, even to yourself? Will the money even be worth it when what comes out the other side isn't left with enough of themselves to feel human anymore?

I could see sucking it up and groveling to the rich parents if you were poor right or had led a life so dependent on them that you weren't sure about you could have a decent life on your own. But for someone like the OP with a decent job and reasonably comfortable lifestyle, I'd definitely be with you in 'gently caress 'em, I'll just plan on no inheritance like most people do'. Being able to retire on the spot is a nice dream, but if you have to give up major things that you enjoy in your life right now to possibly be able to retire on the spot one day doesn't seem like a good trade to me. Especially since the parents could decide you didn't do enough or did something else wrong (like dating someone too dark-skinned) and still write you out, or could end up losing their money and leaving with an estate that's nothing but a headache.

Mordiceius posted:

tbh - this feels like a failure of the raffle organizers. Most raffles will only allow people to win a single prize. But even if they did that, there was no guarantee that this other brat would have won.

Not my experience at all. I've certainly seen the raffles where there are a few big prizes and someone who's one 1st place can't win any others, but I've never seen a raffle where there are multiple prizes, you buy tickets and put multiple tickets on whatever items you're interested in, and you're limited to winning just one prize. I have no idea why that would be a failure of the raffle organizers, being able to win encourages people to buy more tickets so the raffle raises more money.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Boob Cop posted:

Ok what the gently caress, I would be super disappointed to walk into a place called Twin Peaks that was about boobs. I got boobs at home, I want the Kyle MacLachlan special!

I didn't want this username/avatar/post combo to go unremarked.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

SpaceViking posted:

Reading my boyfriend's weird sex journal The issue with this is that he played Animal Crossing during the George Floyd protests.

Lmao my immediate thought was Animal Crossing as well

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

This "anti-travel" thing is new and baffling to me.

I can understand the small town/country town American frog in a well thinking. Or the fear/belief that foreign places are scary and filled with people of different levels of melanin who talk funny and you can't buy the American brand of mayonnaise. etc. But the way OP describes it, these people go far beyond that.

Also, bloke is 33. His parents insane beliefs have gently caress all to do with his holiday plans. If he can afford to go on his travel holidays without his parents millions, then gently caress em. Enjoy your life, see the world, and treat the inheritance like cake. i.e It would be nice if you could have it, but you can't, and not having it doesn't make your life worse in any way. Just not as good/better as it could have been.

And I agree with the other people in this thread saying that if these hosed up stay at home minnionaires are prepared to disinherit their son over the fact that he occasionally takes a bus to Ontario or Tijuana, then they are prepared/willing/able to disinherit him over something equally petty/baffling.

In disheritance guy's case it seems to be some sort of mental illness? Perhaps one brought about by excessive racism but definitely way off the rails.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

sullat posted:

In disheritance guy's case it seems to be some sort of mental illness? Perhaps one brought about by excessive racism but definitely way off the rails.

As OP confirms in the comments, the mental illness is MAGAism

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’ve definitely met some older people who refuse to leave their small town because anything bigger will be full of gangs ready to rob them the second they get out of their car.

The scary part is some of these people are armed with a gun.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I mean that guy in rural New York who opened fire without warning on a car full of 20-somethings and killed a girl because they turned down his driveway by accident was in the news again now that he’s sentenced. Extreme fear of “others” is an exploitable political strategy used and abused today.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That one is really loving with the chuds because in almost every other state something like that has happened recently the killer has walked.

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I didn't want this username/avatar/post combo to go unremarked.

Tyvm!

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

bobjr posted:

I’ve definitely met some older people who refuse to leave their small town because anything bigger will be full of gangs ready to rob them the second they get out of their car.

The scary part is some of these people are armed with a gun.

It's projection - stepping into an unknown small town is actually pretty dangerous for anyone who doesn't pass as a straight white guy, so they assume stepping into a librul stronghold will be just as dangerous.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
My fiancé no longer wants to be married until I can prove my faith if genuine

quote:

I am F 34 and Fiancé is M 32. We started dating in February of 2023 and quickly realized that we wanted a future with each other. In January of 2024, he proposed to me and I was said yes because I love him just as he is and I would not change anything about him. We set a date for July 2024.

That being said, in February 2024, he was acting very distant as he has done in the past so I knew something was wrong. He said that it was a problem that I did not belong to his church and that it would eventually cause confusion for his daughter if I went to my church. I was already questioning if my church was the right one but I wanted to be sure before I converted to his. Unfortunately, he gave me an ultimatum: if you don't join my church, I cannot marry you. That did cause me to question what it was that was keeping me from joining and I ultimately decided that this was going to be the right decision for me and for our family, especially now that we would have the same faith and help his daughter grow her own faith (since he has 50% custody and mom does not currently have a faith).

He started to get excited about the wedding; we went to sign a contract for our reception (no money put down but just a signature); I had my bridesmaids buy their dresses; I purchased a photographer and scheduled our engagement session; I bought a wedding dress and sent it in for alterations.

Then, three days ago, (March 15) he said that he believes I only converted for him, that if he didn't give me the ultimatum, I wouldn't have converted, that he does not see me have passion to learn more about the faith, that I only am doing this because I want to get married so badly, and he believes that if we get married that I will change my mind and go back to my old church and try to take our future children away from our church that we go to now.

Basically, he wants to postpone the wedding until he can get over the anxiety and gut feeling he has about my faith. He believes if I start enquiring more about the faith that will help him not be nervous about marrying me.

Also, he still does not know if he wants children with me but that is a separate issue.

I don't know if I should continue in this relationship with the constant sick feeling in my stomach, and feeling of never being good enough. I am already divorced and it was my ex that lost interest and felt that I was not good enough to be his wife. My faith has always been the quality that I love the most about myself and to think that someone does not find it genuine, or that I would use it to tear my family apart is devastating.

TL;DR! - My fiancé postponed the wedding because he does not believe I converted for the right reasons. I feel as though I can stay in this relationship and hopefully show him that I do have passion and desire in learning more about the faith and helping him raise his daughter physically and spiritually.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for not making my son give away his second prize?
When the other little boy’s parents explained to their son he didn’t win, he broke down in a huge tantrum where he was screaming and crying. His dad had to carry him out because he was causing a bit of a disturbance. (...) We were sitting with 2 other families at our table and one told Cameron he should give the car to the little boy. Cameron said no. They looked at me for backup and I said it’s his choice. (...) Keep in mind, I never heard from the parents of this child. I know the mom in passing as our older sons have hung out a couple of times but not that well.
I like the little detail that the parents of the actual kid involved aren't complaining, but some random loving busybody is whining about it. Mind your own drat business, this doesn't involve you.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I so want to know what religion he wants to convert her to

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Mordiceius posted:

My fiancé no longer wants to be married until I can prove my faith if genuine

Have you tried developing a stigmata?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Scathach posted:

quote:

I was raised an Baptized in the Church of Christ and now we both go to the Greek Orthodox Church.

Somewhat different varieties of the same underlying brain worms.

Actually curious now, do eastern orthodox and protestant branches of christianity have a problem with each other or is there not enough shared history? I'm not aware of any directly violent background like catholics/protestants and catholics/eastern orthodox.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Scathach posted:

I believe it's "I'll-Keep-Moving-These-Goalposts-As-Long-As-You-Cave Orthodox"

He doesn't want to marry her but she keeps doing every outrageous thing he asks.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Ah I see my reading comprehension is just nonexistant today. Dude sounds insufferable, really a bottom-tier man.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Look it’s tough being a Russian Czar, least you could do is convert for the optics

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Actually curious now, do eastern orthodox and protestant branches of christianity have a problem with each other or is there not enough shared history? I'm not aware of any directly violent background like catholics/protestants and catholics/eastern orthodox.

I mean it depends on your definition of "religious conflict" I guess? Finland, Estonia, and Latvia are all majority Lutheran, even if most are non-practicing nowadays. And they've all had pretty tumultuous histories with their Orthodox neighbour. Although I suspect whatever religious animosity there is, it's all completely drowned out by the general anti-Russian sentiments.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Somewhat different varieties of the same underlying brain worms.

I can't speak overall, but just from my own experience growing up in a pretty typical mix of Baptist/etc churches, Eastern Orthodox was outside the realm of anything that ever really got mentioned. It feels much further distant than catholicism, I don't remember hearing about any longheld conflict other than general theological disagreements.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA For telling my future SIL to “Go back to the trailer park you came from”?

quote:

My (32F) Little brother Owen (28M) and his fiancé Elly (25F) are not speaking to me, and are on the verge of un-inviting me from their upcoming wedding in August.

This happened all the way back in December, but Elly still holds a grudge and has brainwashed Owen from talking to me and other members of our family. He has become super distant since their relationship began too.

It was about 9:30 PM on Christmas. My nephews were crying and rambunctious, my Mom was getting flustered with the endless cooking, people were getting drunk and being loud, and my Husband was extremely intoxicated and getting on my last nerve with his attitude and jealous. I just was at my wits end.

Elly comes over to our table, with a plate of dessert in her hands. Obviously seeing that I’m flustered. Doesn’t ask me “Hey Natalie, I can see you’re stressed. Do you need anything” As all she did the whole day was cook an appetizer, set a few plates, and take care of my brother who drank too much. Meanwhile I was cooking, cleaning, and setting up with my Mother since the morning. My brother is always late, and she doesn’t encourage him to speed up or anything.

She eats the dessert that I spent so much time cooking. Doesn’t say “Nat, these pastries are amazing!”

So I said “Hey. Must be easy being a guest 3 years into knowing our family” Immediately, my brother comes in drunk trying to tell me off. And I explained why I was upset at her for just being unhelpful. Elly rudely said “What are you talking about? I can’t enjoy a holiday” Then I told her “You can enjoy it but at least act like a member”

She walked away from me, and I just snapped and said “You know what? I bet this was a lot better than holidays with your family from what Owen told me. You should just go back to the trailer park next year and you can lay around whenever”

She does not actually live in a trailer, if she did, I feel like that would be rude. I just said that because I had a rough night and she rubbed me the wrong way. I implied that she was trashy just because of her upbringing. She has spent every holiday with us, as her family is a complete mess and she hasn’t spoken to them in years. She is like the third generation, to grow up without a father. The woman who raised her, is living off Social Security and poverty in old age. And just a lot more. I must have hit a sore spot.

My brother had a long conversation with me the next day, I haven’t really spoken to them. I tried to apologize, but I just don’t know what else I can do to make this right.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mx. posted:

None of the men are helping, all just getting drunk. But nah, it's the ONE OTHER WOMAN'S fault for not doing more work.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Boob Cop posted:

username/post combo

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't think gf posting in r/relationships is going to be honest or have any good idea about dude's politics

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Mx. posted:

But if SIL goes low contact, who's gonna take OP's place at the bottom of the family pecking order???

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Eastern Orthodox is fast rising amongst various American trad-chuds, because Roman Catholics don't hate queers enough, I think. Suspect that "doubt your commitment to your new faith" is "I need to be convinced you will be barefoot, pregnant, submissive, and thin forever"

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 19, 2024

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

"But what if the kid has bad vibes?"

cwinkle
Mar 7, 2008

Hughlander posted:

My girlfriend (22F) is mad at me (24M) because I let my friend stay at my place when she had to rebook her international flight back home

I am on this guy's side in the situation but if you don't have the money to cover an Uber to the airport there are much bigger issues in your life.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe he could afford the Uber if he wasn't taking his hot friend out on a lunch date

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

The Bramble posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1508wboZXk

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

This is why more cities need better public transportation to their airports, no need to beg a friend for an Uber if there's a bus/train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
The Dumbest Man.... in the world

quote:

Today, my wife and I were talking about superficial stuff like looks. I mentioned how I think people tend to rate others too highly, often giving out 9s or 10s when most people are probably closer to a 5, which I see as average. I explained that we probably know a few folks who might be a 6 or 4, fewer who could be a 7 or 3, only a handful who might be seen as an 8 or 2, and almost none who could be considered a 9 because perfection just doesn't exist.

Then my wife asked me where her sister would fit into this rating system. I instantly said she's a 6, with some extra explanation that it's more towards the higher end of 6. I also mentioned that I see myself as more of a 5 as well, not super attractive but maybe a bit better than average. But my attempt to explain that being a 6 is an okay kind of beautiful seemed to upset her, specially since the sister I'm talking about is her identical twin. The reasoning behind that number is that I don't want to make things weird.

Looking back, I realize that these kinds of shallow conversations aren't good for relationships because there is no scenario where I would win and it would eventually lead to hurt feelings. Now, I need to figure out how to make things right and show her that her rating in my eyes are in fact an 11.