Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

I do miss Barret's melee weapons even if objectively they sucked and I never used them, and even when they gave me their move in Rebirth I still barely used them.

I want Rocket Punch and Atomic Scissors in part 3 for the lols drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

mistermojo posted:

its cool that the bad guys give you a cool purple sword after beating you up and implying that they'll sell the girls (and the dog and cat?) into sex slavery

the tone of that whole sequence is very strange, the party is very clear with Cloud that they aren't at any risk at all and can absolutely demolish these mad max losers if they want to. And Gus's theme is so funky and he ends up just letting them all hang out and watch the chocobo race in the living room with him.

Dude's just rolling on a cocaine high or something the entire time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The impression I got from Gus is that he talks a lot louder than he barks and it's easier to just go along with him than to go on a murder spree to solve a murder spree.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like people would hate Chadley ten times less if they just patched out every conversation where he calls to thank you for doing a thing you just did.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

ImpAtom posted:

The impression I got from Gus is that he talks a lot louder than he barks and it's easier to just go along with him than to go on a murder spree to solve a murder spree.

he does have a guy bludgeon Cloud on the back of the head with a nailbat, which the game glosses over. it's kind of a bad story beat imo. getting knocked unconscious by a nailbat sounds like an extremely bad thing to have happen!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well he also has a girl as a colosseum fight prize later but that ends with Tifa punching him in the nads so

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Don't really have much new to say but I'm just dropping in to eject a little more bile for round 9 of Requiem for the Scorned, in recognition of how much the designer of that hates people who play video games, and also express a little dread for what other levels of bullshit are still to come.

Also seriously though is Earthbound dodgeable or what

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Are a lot of grab attacks just impossible to dodge as Barret? Controlling him feels like a liability against some enemies

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I like Chadley a lot but I agree it'd be an improvement if his incidental voiceover chatter happened while you were on the move, like MAI and the hunts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

Don't really have much new to say but I'm just dropping in to eject a little more bile for round 9 of Requiem for the Scorned, in recognition of how much the designer of that hates people who play video games, and also express a little dread for what other levels of bullshit are still to come.

Also seriously though is Earthbound dodgeable or what

Earthbound is not dodgeable but is instantly nullified once you stagger the Savage Groundhorn. It's vulnerable to fire and like a single Firaga + Focused Thrust will instantly stagger it.

Alternately use Magnify + Sleep + anything that increases debuff time (Cait Sith has a bunch of this or a Malboro Orb) and put all three to sleep and then pick them off, pausing to refresh sleep if needed.

Honestly just bait it into a guard and use Power/Magic Cleave with Cloud and you'll wreck its day right there. It will always target Earthbound on whoever you're controlling so if you worry it's coming up swap to whoever your lowest-DPS character is and let them eat it.

Alternately use Reraise on your party and if you all get Earthbound you'll just revive after.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dustbowl is a sendup of Wall Market and Gus feels like a Corneo remix, being a weird skeevy mobster man. Except less intense on all fronts.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I just finished the Gold Saucer/Corel section. I saw that tweet going around about that said they messed up the Dyne stuff, but I didn't want to read too deeply into the tweet for spoilers. Now that I've done all that I'm wondering what the issue is? My big worry upon seeing that tweet go around was that they were going to have Dyne NOT die, or they were going to have him come back to life, but he still kills himself. It doesn't happen in the same way as the OG game where he jumps off a cliff, but he still commits suicide and leaves Barret with all the guilt and sadness he did in the OG. Dyne basically going "I can't have Marlene see what I've become" and killing himself still happens. So I'm really curious what the problem was, I don't want to risk searching for the tweet. I felt they handled the Barret/Dyne stuff amazingly. The thing I think they did fumble on was, Corel Prison itself. It might as well have been a totally different city from the OG, I thought they did a real bad job with it, and the collecting greens poo poo for the chocobo REALLY felt like padding. I super hated that.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Just played through the section of Gongaga where you go to the place and fight some people, including one in a mech. The stuff afterwards was Hmm. Big Thoughts.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I kind of expected more from Corel Prison too. I remember being stuck, getting in a million fights, weird stalker dude, and I don't think they hearkened back to those reference points like they (masterfully) did for all the other locations. I thought maybe I hadn't explored it fully or something. It's also funny seeing it plopped right below the gold saucer on the open world map instead of surrounded by endless desert.

By and large though the contextualization of all the locations was amazing for the feeling of the world. The Junon cutscenes where you come in over the water to see a sweeping view of the town, the town that you basically circumnavigated and is 1:1 equivalent with the cutscene, as opposed to the original needing layers of abstraction and then a completely unique model of the city when seen in cutscenes, owned.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ImpAtom posted:

Earthbound is not dodgeable but is instantly nullified once you stagger the Savage Groundhorn. It's vulnerable to fire and like a single Firaga + Focused Thrust will instantly stagger it.

Alternately use Magnify + Sleep + anything that increases debuff time (Cait Sith has a bunch of this or a Malboro Orb) and put all three to sleep and then pick them off, pausing to refresh sleep if needed.

Honestly just bait it into a guard and use Power/Magic Cleave with Cloud and you'll wreck its day right there. It will always target Earthbound on whoever you're controlling so if you worry it's coming up swap to whoever your lowest-DPS character is and let them eat it.

Alternately use Reraise on your party and if you all get Earthbound you'll just revive after.

This is about what I was going for the second time, except the motherfucker came in and Bounded Aerith right as she was casting (and the first one comes out so fast I didn't have a Radiant Ward up first, which I'm not sure if it would've helped but maybe) and the other two held Red down and KO'd him right after Cloud ran out of gauge, leaving me basically hosed. The third time around though I did in fact offer up Red as a distraction which bought the needed time and made the rest of it smooth sailing. The subsequent Tonberry was a holiday in comparison.

Ten rounds really is too goddamn many. At this point what are you even proving.

Also; god drat, magic cleave really can break guards. It hits like mid tier magic, it has a long range, it gives drat near a full gauge, I'm pretty sure it has some kind of armour while charging (I've seen Cloud get knocked out of it, but I've also seen him get hit by a Tonberry's Scourge and not be stunned). Is there anything this loving attack can't do?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

This is about what I was going for the second time, except the motherfucker came in and Bounded Aerith right as she was casting (and the first one comes out so fast I didn't have a Radiant Ward up first, which I'm not sure if it would've helped but maybe) and the other two held Red down and KO'd him right after Cloud ran out of gauge, leaving me basically hosed. The third time around though I did in fact offer up Red as a distraction which bought the needed time and made the rest of it smooth sailing. The subsequent Tonberry was a holiday in comparison.

Ten rounds really is too goddamn many. At this point what are you even proving.

Also; god drat, magic cleave really can break guards. It hits like mid tier magic, it has a long range, it gives drat near a full gauge, I'm pretty sure it has some kind of armour while charging (I've seen Cloud get knocked out of it, but I've also seen him get hit by a Tonberry's Scourge and not be stunned). Is there anything this loving attack can't do?

Yeah it has armor for sure. It was my go to for breaking King Zu wings

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm finding it hard to fire up the game to play chapter 13 because I don't want it to end and also I don't want to re-live my 14yo trauma lmao

Maybe I'll just go do the treasure map

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Macaluso posted:

So I just finished the Gold Saucer/Corel section. I saw that tweet going around about that said they messed up the Dyne stuff, but I didn't want to read too deeply into the tweet for spoilers. Now that I've done all that I'm wondering what the issue is? My big worry upon seeing that tweet go around was that they were going to have Dyne NOT die, or they were going to have him come back to life, but he still kills himself. It doesn't happen in the same way as the OG game where he jumps off a cliff, but he still commits suicide and leaves Barret with all the guilt and sadness he did in the OG. Dyne basically going "I can't have Marlene see what I've become" and killing himself still happens. So I'm really curious what the problem was, I don't want to risk searching for the tweet. I felt they handled the Barret/Dyne stuff amazingly. The thing I think they did fumble on was, Corel Prison itself. It might as well have been a totally different city from the OG, I thought they did a real bad job with it, and the collecting greens poo poo for the chocobo REALLY felt like padding. I super hated that.

A lot of people didn't like the big goofy Palmer fight happening directly after instead of giving the scene time to breath.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

having a bunch of goofy poo poo follow an emotionally wrenching moment is just staying true to the source material

lines
Aug 18, 2013

It's really funny to me that Cait Sith is a centrist shill. "Shinra does tragedies but also resorts so who's to say if it's bad or not?"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

lines posted:

It's really funny to me that Cait Sith is a centrist shill. "Shinra does tragedies but also resorts so who's to say if it's bad or not?"

it's a good look into the things Reeve has to tell himself to justify staying on the Shinra board coupled with "if I wasn't in this position someone much much worse would be"

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

it's a good look into the things Reeve has to tell himself to justify staying on the Shinra board coupled with "if I wasn't in this position someone much much worse would be"

It's genuinely a really interesting study of the character and I'm interested to see us get more actual Reeve time!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Look, he did nothing to stop the plate from dropping but he did feel really sad about it. So he's basically blameless and a good guy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

lines posted:

It's genuinely a really interesting study of the character and I'm interested to see us get more actual Reeve time!

also really like the line he has about fatalism, which is both very funny coming from a fortune teller and says a lot about Reeve. Of course he's a hopeless idealist.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Look, he did nothing to stop the plate from dropping but he did feel really sad about it. So he's basically blameless and a good guy.

i feel like when a megacorporation's black ops division is instructed to wipe out a seventh of the world's largest city there's not a whole lot that someone in reeve's position can do about it other than annoy them enough to become part of the mop-up afterward

since the man is basically a civil engineer who got promoted too far his biggest fault is probably being too blinkered by the possibility of neo-midgardian infrastructure to see the company for what it really is

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think sending Cait Sith was to stop the plate from dropping. He was just too late.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lines posted:

Cait Sith is the Biden staffers complaining about his support for Israel

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Oxxidation posted:

i feel like when a megacorporation's black ops division is instructed to wipe out a seventh of the world's largest city there's not a whole lot that someone in reeve's position can do about it other than annoy them enough to become part of the mop-up afterward

since the man is basically a civil engineer who got promoted too far his biggest fault is probably being too blinkered by the possibility of neo-midgardian infrastructure to see the company for what it really is

If you recall the final board meeting in Remake he's actually totally against the Neo-Midgar project

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

If you recall the final board meeting in Remake he's actually totally against the Neo-Midgar project

i like to think he was initially into it, considering his presentation in shinra's museum, and then learned that the president planned to leave the original city to rot

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Reeve is the only guy still trying to run an electric power company lol

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Goddamn am I tired of solo fights that require a gimmick materia setup to have a chance in hell. It'd be nice if the game at least let you save materia loadouts so you don't have to fiddle with them so drat much.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

JBP posted:

I don't want to re-live my 14yo trauma lmao

I'm still in Chapter 12 but I have to vent and want to say I couldn't finish the OG as a kid because I had The Video Game Internet Meme spoiled for me by other kids/my strategy guide and I thought it would be too disturbing/traumatic for me to see it in game lol :negative:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lakbay posted:

I'm still in Chapter 12 but I have to vent and want to say I couldn't finish the OG as a kid because I had The Internet Meme spoiled for me by other kids/my strategy guide and I thought it would be too disturbing/traumatic for me to see it in game lol :negative:

I had no idea and had to go for a walk. My mum was asking me why I was being so moody and I had to pretend I was worried about school.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

JBP posted:

I'm finding it hard to fire up the game to play chapter 13 because I don't want it to end and also I don't want to re-live my 14yo trauma lmao

Lmao I was the same age and I vividly remember sobbing as if a real life friend died. Looking back it seems silly, but that was the first time a piece of media hit me like a truck emotionally.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I came to JRPGs late, with FF8 on PC being my first one (which made FF8 exceptionally easy, since the PC version came with this little chocobo game app that shitted out a zillion items to junction). I played FF7 later, but had been spoiled on the big twist. I may not have even finished it? Not sure. It didn't have a big impact on me, though I now realize how good it was. I only remember 8 and 10 (which I actually did play around when it was released) having a big impact.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I think sending Cait Sith was to stop the plate from dropping. He was just too late.

Yeah, the impression I got there was that Reeve WAS trying to go stop it (using his robot cat which is obviously better at fighting than he is) but just flat-out wasn't able to, which is why you have Cait Sith there in the first place. It gets repeated in Rebirth except he does make it this time.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Finally beat that Chapter 12 Gold Saucer fight that was giving me so much trouble.

There's an opening to attack in the Rufus/Darkstar part after they use the blizzard shooting attack. He'll always reload.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Is there going to be a good point to go round and mop up open world stuff that needs finishing? Don't really feel like finishing Gongaga right now, kinda just want to follow the plot for a bit: but I do want to come back and do all of the little tasks! Is there going to be a point when things start towards the endgame in a definitive way?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Ytlaya posted:

Cait Sith is the Biden staffers complaining about his support for Israel

But he’s got a fun accent so, it’s not too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lines posted:

Is there going to be a good point to go round and mop up open world stuff that needs finishing? Don't really feel like finishing Gongaga right now, kinda just want to follow the plot for a bit: but I do want to come back and do all of the little tasks! Is there going to be a point when things start towards the endgame in a definitive way?

Before the Gold Saucer date is a pretty ideal time. If not then the start of Chapter 13, but there's a reason to do it specifically before the date.