Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I feel like the only stat you'd need is average speed compared to known responsible drivers in the same area. Every single outcome an insurance company would care about has got to be perfectly predictable on that alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure they aren’t going to up your rates over a few instances of emergency braking. If you are maxing out the lateral accelerometer a few times on every trip though then you should be paying more for your bad driving.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Why are you pretty sure of that?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
most drivers in america are floor on green and floor brake on red so yeah theyd be mad being punished for driving like assholes and tailgating

also kept baiting a coal roller and he missed everytime:

https://i.imgur.com/sgp4ekr.mp4

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Epic High Five posted:

I feel like the only stat you'd need is average speed compared to known responsible drivers in the same area. Every single outcome an insurance company would care about has got to be perfectly predictable on that alone.

the nyt article says the data insurers had is trip start and end time, duration, and instances of hard accelerating/braking. not location data -- without which you couldnt interpret speed data. going 60 mph would be fine on a highway but extremely bad on surface streets.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

lobster shirt posted:

the nyt article says the data insurers had is trip start and end time, duration, and instances of hard accelerating/braking. not location data -- without which you couldnt interpret speed data. going 60 mph would be fine on a highway but extremely bad on surface streets.

Insurance company gonna ding them for driving past the red line, in the sense of real estate.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Imagine spending 100k on a huge truck + mods to enable you to roll coal just so you can make other people's lives worse.

I cannot fathom the mindspace for that. Like, I sort of get how trolling can be enjoyable, lord knows I did enough of that as kid. But, like, don't you have to actually see the other person get mad to get a kick out of it? And I just cannot believe anyone gets $100k worth of enjoyment out of intentionally making others miserable.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

going 60 mph would be fine on a highway but extremely bad on surface streets.

gotta go with the flow man...

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I tried reporting it to the oregon state since it was an oregon license plate but they won't let me since it didn't occur in oregon lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nitrousoxide posted:

Imagine spending 100k on a huge truck + mods to enable you to roll coal just so you can make other people's lives worse.

I cannot fathom the mindspace for that. Like, I sort of get how trolling can be enjoyable, lord knows I did enough of that as kid. But, like, don't you have to actually see the other person get mad to get a kick out of it? And I just cannot believe anyone gets $100k worth of enjoyment out of intentionally making others miserable.
buddy, have you met an american?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Why are you pretty sure of that?

I just am.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Nitrousoxide posted:

pretty much everything about car culture is extraordinarily corrosive to the soul

like the posters a few posts back noting how many drivers are on their phones... displaying a callous disregard to the lives of people around you is just the norm for drivers. of course some people are gonna take it further and spend $$$ to turn spewing carcinogens into an art form

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

every intersection of two streets should be an all-way stop if it's not a traffic light imo
so many bad intersections in my neighborhood where t-bones are frequent could be greatly helped by making it an all-way stop.

All-way stops are completely insane. What you want is a roundabout.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah, a pedestrian roundabout

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I have seen way more people blast through all way stops than red lights

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Tiggum posted:

My neighborhood is all aroundabouts with 4 way stop signs. Its kind of incredible. So no one obeys the stop signs and like 25% of the people using the round about just dont really know how to use it and will literally drive the wrong way while taking a left around one.

also they're just kind of randomly placed on the roundabouts and most of them have chunks taken out where people just drove over them - or launched over them.

I truly wish I was exaggerating when I say - i've almost never seen anyone come to a full and complete stop at a stop sign in my neighborhood outside of the turn onto the 4 lane busy street. All the interior ones are like ... people maybe lightly tap their brakes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Found a new park to do laps in

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

there's a roundabout right outside my neighborhood with yield signs, but the circular part in the middle isn't raised which means a lot of people just blow through it and drive right over the middle without slowing down.

and then there's the people who come to a complete stop at the yield sign when there's nobody else coming from the other direction and just kind of sit there for a while. they're not as bad but they sure do gently caress up the traffic flow.

cars are uniquely designed to make people insane and bring out the worst impulses of individualism.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

pretty much everything about car culture is extraordinarily corrosive to the soul

like the posters a few posts back noting how many drivers are on their phones... displaying a callous disregard to the lives of people around you is just the norm for drivers. of course some people are gonna take it further and spend $$$ to turn spewing carcinogens into an art form

Like, I get callous disregard for others or just thoughtlessness. Not thinking through your actions or just lack of giving a poo poo about others is one thing. But coal rollers seem like actual sociopaths, out to actively make the lives of those around them worse intentionally, even if they can't see them, or know them. Just a zone of misery that follows them around that they have devoted a house's worth of cash toward intentionally.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Like, I get callous disregard for others or just thoughtlessness. Not thinking through your actions or just lack of giving a poo poo about others is one thing. But coal rollers seem like actual sociopaths, out to actively make the lives of those around them worse intentionally, even if they can't see them, or know them. Just a zone of misery that follows them around that they have devoted a house's worth of cash toward intentionally.

post this in any other thread and in 10 minutes you'll have someone replying that it should be legal to murder bicyclists

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

silicone thrills posted:

My neighborhood is all aroundabouts with 4 way stop signs. Its kind of incredible. So no one obeys the stop signs and like 25% of the people using the round about just dont really know how to use it and will literally drive the wrong way while taking a left around one.

also they're just kind of randomly placed on the roundabouts and most of them have chunks taken out where people just drove over them - or launched over them.

I truly wish I was exaggerating when I say - i've almost never seen anyone come to a full and complete stop at a stop sign in my neighborhood outside of the turn onto the 4 lane busy street. All the interior ones are like ... people maybe lightly tap their brakes.

yeah, I use to live in a hood with tight roundabouts and yeah your description holds

now in hood where 4 way stops on all corners not arterial, and people just roll/fly through them.

both neighborhoods 1000% better than my burb experiences

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Quezon City government is building elevated, protected bike lanes along the two-kilometer length of the QC Circle and I'm pretty excited. That could be, like, a prime target for attempting a century.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Tiggum posted:

All way stops are the norm anywhere I've ever lived because no one understands roundabouts or cross streets that don't also stop. I moved to a house on an intersection where only cross streets stop and people seriously don't understand it, they roll right through the sign with oncoming cross traffic they expect to stop.

e: Behold God's most wonderful all way stop, four lanes with two lane crossing and nobody knows what the gently caress they're supposed to do:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 14:29 on Mar 19, 2024

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

All way stops are the norm anywhere I've ever lived because no one understands roundabouts or cross streets that don't also stop. I moved to a house on an intersection where only cross streets stop and people seriously don't understand it, they roll right through the sign with oncoming cross traffic they expect to stop.

e: Behold God's most wonderful all way stop, four lanes with two lane crossing and nobody knows what the gently caress they're supposed to do:

Every other cross street being a stop sign rather than all 4-way stops has been the residential neighborhood norm pretty much everywhere I’ve ever lived

As for roundabouts- as a pedestrian and a jogger I dislike them because cars seem far less aware that somebody is crossing, as a cyclist and a driver they’re fine I think

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I feel like flashing red stop light is better than a stop sign, I think (no evidence to support this) people are less likely to run a flashing red stop light than a stop sign, since running a red light seems worse than running a stop sign.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Tiggum posted:

no what i want is a train, but i'll take an all-way stop at every intersection in my neighborhood because people getting t-boned, while i'm waiting on that train

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

spacemang_spliff posted:

I feel like flashing red stop light is better than a stop sign, I think (no evidence to support this) people are less likely to run a flashing red stop light than a stop sign, since running a red light seems worse than running a stop sign.

yeah you gotta wait for the second it's dark to drive through

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What I want is a kindly police-man with a whistle stood in the middle of the intersection directing traffic and winking at the motorists as they go past

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

yeah you gotta wait for the second it's dark to drive through

Intersections with timed bollards like in an old platformer

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Get a line of cops to stand at parade rest along the bike lane like living bollards, maybe drivers will stop driving into it then.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

One of the best John Wilson segments is when he spontaneously follows a coal roller back to his house and asks him why he does it. He didn't really have an explanation other than "it's cool and badass"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Nitrousoxide posted:

My running theory is that it's just the dudes who have huge rear end commutes (because they live somewhere dumb having spent all their money on an identity affirming mega truck); spending hours commuting every day has turned their life into hours of misery, and given their generally unsound emotional health that lead to the purchase of the pedestrian murder mobile, the one coping mechanism they have access to is to try to punch down at the people who irritate them on the road.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Fitzy Fitz posted:

One of the best John Wilson segments is when he spontaneously follows a coal roller back to his house and asks him why he does it. He didn't really have an explanation other than "it's cool and badass"

it is

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

gonna get a critical mass together to roll coal (fart constantly) on the bike

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Dropping traps behind your vehicle is a universally loved idea (Mario kart, Fury Road, Wacky Races) and very effective

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not sure if it was a coal-rolling-modded engine or just a really loud turbocharger, but I was riding the motorcycle on the 401 one time and this huge lifted pickup with an ATV in the back ripped past me and it legitimately sounded like a fighter jet engine, it was so loud it cut right through the wind noise and startled me.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

So I moved into an end cap home in an HOA from a rental company in Florida, And surprise parking is now an issue. We live in on a street that dead-ends with our house basically, With an additional 3-4 feet of roadway. Since we’re normal people and have stuff in our garage can only fit 1 car inside as well as my motorcycle. 2 in the drive way, And leaving one parked in front of our house on said 3-4 feet of roadway. Suddenly we started getting notices of the HOA rules about parking… that no one is allowed to be parked on the street overnight. Okay… found an elegant solution of parking my work van sideways behind the other 2 cars since I’m first out in the morning, No biggie. Now they’ve placed a tow away sign on the fencing that encompasses the neighborhood, right in front of my home. I tried to speak to the president of the HOA but shockingly he wasn’t amendable to a compromise, Acting to put it blatantly like a douche bag. The sign says tow away zone 24/7… where my guests would park… this feels slightly targeted. I also was never given a copy of the HOA rules when I signed the lease ( My stupidity I know) but I also never signed/agreed to them either. I’m a tenant not an owner. So am I not allowed to have guests over anymore? I couldn’t find any clear definition of what the “zone” constitutes or if it’s a radius within the sign, Only information I found was about the Florida statue on it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

5 motor vehicles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Fitzy Fitz posted:

So I moved into an end cap home in an HOA from a rental company in Florida, And surprise parking is now an issue. We live in on a street that dead-ends with our house basically, With an additional 3-4 feet of roadway. Since we’re normal people and have stuff in our garage can only fit 1 car inside as well as my motorcycle. 2 in the drive way, And leaving one parked in front of our house on said 3-4 feet of roadway. Suddenly we started getting notices of the HOA rules about parking… that no one is allowed to be parked on the street overnight. Okay… found an elegant solution of parking my work van sideways behind the other 2 cars since I’m first out in the morning, No biggie. Now they’ve placed a tow away sign on the fencing that encompasses the neighborhood, right in front of my home. I tried to speak to the president of the HOA but shockingly he wasn’t amendable to a compromise, Acting to put it blatantly like a douche bag. The sign says tow away zone 24/7… where my guests would park… this feels slightly targeted. I also was never given a copy of the HOA rules when I signed the lease ( My stupidity I know) but I also never signed/agreed to them either. I’m a tenant not an owner. So am I not allowed to have guests over anymore? I couldn’t find any clear definition of what the “zone” constitutes or if it’s a radius within the sign, Only information I found was about the Florida statue on it.

Have fewer cars.