Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Reminder that a vented n95 is quantifiably a better form of source control than literally any other type of mask or respirator except an unvented n95

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

The Oldest Man posted:

Reminder that a vented n95 is quantifiably a better form of source control than literally any other type of mask or respirator except an unvented n95

this is for sure the best part

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Shiroc posted:

I still see "masks are (solely) to protect others" occasionally

I think this got firmly entrenched in the liberal psyche, yeah. So many people think masks won't protect them, only people around them. And they're not sick, so gently caress masks right?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
If, like your average neolib, your working definition of a "mask" is a surgical or a random piece of cloth, that's an accurate conception, because just about all they'll do is prevent you from actually spitting or sneezing into other people's faces.

The challenge is somehow persuading them that there's a difference between kinds of masks.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
So much for getting Novavax. I asked if it was in stock every other week for months and they kept saying they don't get notifications for shipments and just to wait. This time they said they aren't getting it ever again.

lol

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pooky posted:

So much for getting Novavax. I asked if it was in stock every other week for months and they kept saying they don't get notifications for shipments and just to wait. This time they said they aren't getting it ever again.

lol

that owns

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
Australia had catastrophic bush fires occur in multiple states in late 2019/early 2020, so our already limited P2, N95 & even surgical mask supply had been used up by fire-fighters when Covid kicked into full gear. I can't find a good Australian source on this issue, but allegedly this major shortage was one of the reasons in Australia, the very early message was "All masks for the public are unnecessary, just keep your distance and you'll be fine from an airborne disease"/ "Work in healthcare though? Masks are essential & vital, forget what we told the public!" The slight issue of "The general public will get mad & distrust us if we later back-flip on mask wearing or give the opposite advice to healthcare workers, since they won't care or understand we only said lied about mask wearing so we could boost supplies" didn't occur to the people giving this advice. Of course, this also ignores the excellent point by The Oldest Man but I digress.

In the very, very early days of Covid, plus the Australian bush-fire induced shortage of P2/N95/surgical masks*, why not something a compromise message like "Wear cloth masks or DIY masks from T-Shirts, mask wearing combined with keeping your distance and you, the general public will be safe. Only heroic healthcare workers who must be inches away from sick people at all times to do their jobs, like intubating airways or CPR need the extra protection!" Eh, too hard!

* We know that surgical masks are crap now, but in the very early days/no N95s being available, they'd be better than DIY cloth masks for healthcare workers in close proximity back then.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Livo posted:

Eh, too hard!

You might be underselling the degree to which public health is in the business of apologetics for elected officials. If you admit that n95s should have been available for everyone immediately but they're not for whatever reason, people might start getting crazy ideas like "hey we should demand accountability for all this mass death! it could have been prevented, or at least lessened, if the government had prepared"

Very inconvenient stuff really, no one wins

Much better to just lie and say everything's fine, if everything's fine and good then no accountability is needed because nothing went wrong, god's in his heaven, and all's right with the world.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
There's a lot of uhhh politeness and manner wrapped up in the normalcy-as-abandonment phenomenon.

if I make jokes or off hand references with my friends who are parents about how we as a cohort were not deathly ill every two months growing up there's a lot of pushback. because the alternative would be a depthless font of rage on behalf of their children whose lives are being snuffed out and you know, anger is just not like, very couth, you know? Only cranks and redhat maga types feel the less civilized feelings.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

the alternative would be a depthless font of rage

Can't speak to every individual person but I think a more likely alternative for most liberals is admitting to themselves that they're cowards who don't even have the courage of their convictions much less the courage to act on them, because they aren't doing poo poo either way

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I was in a teaching group on facebook and someone asked "are kids really that different these days, or is that just something that everyone always says?" So I chimed in with a few good articles about brain damage and covid, with the caveat of "we have no idea what impact this does and will have on developing brains and won't until years from now. Sorry I can't give practical advice, but some of your students have undiagnosed neurological problems from repeated covid.

So I guess my next question is: Do we have any good studies on that? Are any of the brain doctors looking at the impact on adolescents?

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

The Oldest Man posted:

Can't speak to every individual person but I think a more likely alternative for most liberals is admitting to themselves that they're cowards who don't even have the courage of their convictions much less the courage to act on them, because they aren't doing poo poo either way

pair that with the parenting drive and baby you got a self-directed depthless font of rage goin

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

MLK Ultra posted:

ran into this doing some pruning on my media.

thought y'all would appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EDr2LsNVdI

These are fantastic. Thank you for posting this.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

road potato posted:

I was in a teaching group on facebook and someone asked "are kids really that different these days, or is that just something that everyone always says?" So I chimed in with a few good articles about brain damage and covid, with the caveat of "we have no idea what impact this does and will have on developing brains and won't until years from now. Sorry I can't give practical advice, but some of your students have undiagnosed neurological problems from repeated covid.

So I guess my next question is: Do we have any good studies on that? Are any of the brain doctors looking at the impact on adolescents?

sure!

(lol)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Kreeblah posted:

These are fantastic. Thank you for posting this.

That poster made a lot of excellent vids back when the rest of the world acknowledged covid existed, up there with Crusader and everdraed in my goon media roster

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

trashy owl posted:

I think this got firmly entrenched in the liberal psyche, yeah. So many people think masks won't protect them, only people around them. And they're not sick, so gently caress masks right?

And yet it's a thing that even children understand. I was in a McDonald's for the first time in months waiting for a to-go order, and my housemade and I were wearing our SecureClicks, as we do whenever we're out and about. Some five-year-old or whatever asked her what she was wearing on her face, and she started to explain that it was a special mask, and the kid's older sister (looked about ten or so) just said "Because they don't want to get COVID." and herded the kid away to wherever she was trying to get him to go.

Of course, my housemate and I were the only ones wearing any sort of face covering at all there, but whatever.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Gunshow Poophole posted:

That poster made a lot of excellent vids back when the rest of the world acknowledged covid existed, up there with Crusader and everdraed in my goon media roster

I vaguely remember a few of them from way back when, but it's nice to see a compilation. I've never seen all of these. I kinda bop in and out of the thread here because, well, COVID's still around, things still suck poo poo, and I'm still not swapping aerosolized spit with strangers.

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

Well, poo poo y'all.
Glad I posted it.

Thanks. :v:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

toggle posted:

i'm looking for a good vented aura for long distance running, and some how stumbled across this quote on US abc news back from 2020

ahhh the good old days...

but anyways, any opinions on this 3M P2 N95 9322A+ Respirator Aura Flat Fold Mask with valve as a good vented aura for running?

I dont run but I use this for strenuous workouts, cleaning the house, outdoor work etc and i find it really great. Really cuts down on the amount of condensation - as in I get no inside mask condensation when im wearing one of the vented aura line. The fit is so good that I kind of forget its on and ill be face sweating and go and try to wipe my face while its on lol.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

MLK Ultra posted:

Well, poo poo y'all.
Glad I posted it.

Thanks. :v:

it's really funny

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I really wish the 3m vented auras worked for me but the set I got are so small I can't wear them. Which is strange because my elastromeric is a small and works fine. The bands on those things are just too tight.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Pooky posted:

I really wish the 3m vented auras worked for me but the set I got are so small I can't wear them. Which is strange because my elastromeric is a small and works fine. The bands on those things are just too tight.

Yeah i dont have a big head but I definitely pre stretch the bands pretty well. honestly the blue rubber band style are a bit more comfortable than the braided bands over all. But less risk of snapping so i just pull all around the band to loosen it up a bit.

Mural painting on a hot day on a busy road.

I guess mine are the 9211s but im starting to wonder if they changed the lines up since i bought these like 3 years ago.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 05:50 on Mar 19, 2024

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Person at a bar looked at my mask and goes "oh I should have had a mask too" then continues on with their life

Another person on my way home calls out to me that they liked my mask, sounded sincere, very confused

Livo
Dec 31, 2023

The Oldest Man posted:

You might be underselling the degree to which public health is in the business of apologetics for elected officials. If you admit that n95s should have been available for everyone immediately but they're not for whatever reason, people might start getting crazy ideas like "hey we should demand accountability for all this mass death! it could have been prevented, or at least lessened, if the government had prepared"

Much better to just lie and say everything's fine, if everything's fine and good then no accountability is needed because nothing went wrong, god's in his heaven, and all's right with the world.

Very true about accountability, but the major bush-fires were only a few weeks before Covid started to spread worldwide, so the Australian public would probably have been much more accepting of this real P2/N95 shortage, if they'd done the "Cloth/DIY combined with social distancing is good enough for most people, healthcare workers must be in close proximity to sick people so they need better protection " thing in the early days.

Why Australian firefighters didn't have enough P2/N95 masks to begin with, why our Evangelical born-again Prime Minister Scott Morrison hosed off to Hawaii when the bush-fires were in full swing and initially refused to even set up a hotel conference room for updates, saying publicly "I don't hold a hose mate" are all fabulous questions to ask. Unfortunately over 60% of all Australian media including major TV stations, newspapers & radio are owned by Rupert Murdoch, and he loves the political party that Scott Morrison belongs to, so good luck getting THAT answered. For non-Australians, there's actually no laws preventing foreign citizens from owning Australian media sources whatsoever: Rupert Murdoch renounced his Australian citizenship in the 1980s to formally become an American citizen, so he's no longer Australian, but still can own the majority of our media legally. My obligatory "gently caress Rupert Murdoch" rant.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

This is a good reminder that we should be even angrier

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Livo posted:

Very true about accountability, but the major bush-fires were only a few weeks before Covid started to spread worldwide, so the Australian public would probably have been much more accepting of this real P2/N95 shortage, if they'd done the "Cloth/DIY combined with social distancing is good enough for most people, healthcare workers must be in close proximity to sick people so they need better protection " thing in the early days.

Yeah, you're not really getting me. Admitting there was a shortage would be admitting that there was a need, admitting there was a need means admitting that there was a problem. That chain of logic leads inexorably toward an expectation of the government doing things to help people or - worse - doing things that ordinary people want it to do. If you ever say "we should have x but only have y" then you're admitting things could be better, and it is the role of all public institutions in Western liberal democracies to remind us at all times as loudly as possible that better things aren't possible.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Next week in the Atlantic: How Covid Improves Circulation in Your Brain

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Livo posted:

Australia had catastrophic bush fires occur in multiple states in late 2019/early 2020, so our already limited P2, N95 & even surgical mask supply had been used up by fire-fighters when Covid kicked into full gear. I can't find a good Australian source on this issue, but allegedly this major shortage was one of the reasons in Australia, the very early message was "All masks for the public are unnecessary, just keep your distance and you'll be fine from an airborne disease"

We had mask mandates here in Melbourne during the lockdowns.

E: here's the cops forcing a surgical mask onto a lockdown protester's face in front of the War Memorial. Crazy times

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 06:25 on Mar 19, 2024

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

ok now is this being caused by the disability beliefs or the lockdowns, i need someone to tell me quick

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

The Oldest Man posted:

ok now is this being caused by the disability beliefs or the lockdowns, i need someone to tell me quick

Stress from the lockdowns meaning you couldn't go to your favorite restaurant with your friends. Stress is a real killer you know.

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
We did have mask mandates in Melbourne, but from memory, in the very early days of Covid, the advice for the general public was "Eh, keep your distance and you'll be fine" until the first major outbreaks occurred in NSW & Victoria, so then the mask mandates, strict travel restrictions and other measures kicked in. Happy to be corrected on this.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
The Melbourne mask mandates and travel restrictions were never that seriously enforced. There were always people refusing to mask and outsude of the protests cops weren't doing anything. When we were restricted to the 5 km travel radius, my whole team had work permits as we were all essential, but they were never checked once.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

toggle posted:

but anyways, any opinions on this 3M P2 N95 9322A+ Respirator Aura Flat Fold Mask with valve as a good vented aura for running?

Looks a lot like the Aura 9211+ I wear for sports and can recommend: https://www.3mcanada.ca/3M/en_CA/p/d/v000274871/ I get about eight hours total active use, no more than 2-3 hours consecutive.

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
My work was within 5km of my residence, and I had a second job at the time doing a remote clinical research trial, so I was mostly working from phone, doing TeleHealth consults, or seeing clients physically within my 5km zone. I had my healthcare permits and documents handy when I was seeing face to face clients, but I was never, ever stopped or questioned at all, period. I personally never saw masks being enforced on public transport, but I had supermarkets a few minutes walk away and my personal car for work, so I didn't really didn't catch public transport at that time. I didn't have it that bad myself during lock-downs: all my other house-mates had their partners live within 5km of them, they all had jobs in medical research working from home or it was located well within walking distance, so as a home, we were pretty okay.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
re: the n95s i just find non-disposable protection so much easier day-to-day and failure-proof

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

I dont run but I use this for strenuous workouts, cleaning the house, outdoor work etc and i find it really great. Really cuts down on the amount of condensation - as in I get no inside mask condensation when im wearing one of the vented aura line. The fit is so good that I kind of forget its on and ill be face sweating and go and try to wipe my face while its on lol.

oh nice, i'll pick up a box now. thanks!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Livo posted:

We did have mask mandates in Melbourne, but from memory, in the very early days of Covid, the advice for the general public was "Eh, keep your distance and you'll be fine" until the first major outbreaks occurred in NSW & Victoria, so then the mask mandates, strict travel restrictions and other measures kicked in. Happy to be corrected on this.

Yeah we genuinely had next-to-zero cases here in Australia until those first few minor outbreaks which got stomped out, thanks to our global isolation and closing the borders. Here's a graph of per capita cases from the start of the pandemic right up to the Delta outbreak up in Sydney which opened the floodgates, right before Omicron wrecked our poo poo

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...ositivity=false

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah we genuinely had next-to-zero cases here in Australia until those first few minor outbreaks which got stomped out, thanks to our global isolation and closing the borders. Here's a graph of per capita cases from the start of the pandemic right up to the Delta outbreak up in Sydney which opened the floodgates, right before Omicron wrecked our poo poo

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...ositivity=false

look at all that immunity debt

sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Luckily I quit injecting dye into my bloodstream well before I got covid.