Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

it was also while PV trawling i learned Girls Band Cry is entirely 3D which, hmm

after how incredible mygo was i will never let this deter me again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Southern Cassowary posted:

after how incredible mygo was i will never let this deter me again

i didnt watch MyGO as i am a philistine but i would be remiss to dismiss 3D at all given i'm an HnK stan, it just always makes me wary

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

rewatched the old Spice & Wolf series multiple times and read the LN, and still pretty hyped for the remake

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i flagged a bunch of stuff as potentially being neat but nothing really stuck out to me as a must watch. as always i'll just see what i vibe with and what gets positive word of mouth.

of all the pvs i watched the one i noticed that i haven't really seen people talk about it Karasu wa Aruji wo Erabanai - an ancient society of people who turn into crows seems like it could be really cool conceptually.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Wasn't feeling the PV and the (supernatural) court drama niche has been pretty full lately tbh. Raven of the Inner Palace has a similar premise going on so kinda splitting the difference between Apothecary Diaries and Yatagarasu.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

symbolic posted:

i didnt watch MyGO as i am a philistine but i would be remiss to dismiss 3D at all given i'm an HnK stan, it just always makes me wary
mygo's 3d isn't like, impressive on a pure visual fidelity level, but they get really inventive with the direction it enables. not necessarily 'shots you can only do in 3d' for the most part, outside the concert scenes, but itd be really hard for a comparatively b-list 2d anime to achieve the stuff it does. it allows for a consistency to the visuals too that really works for a show that's trying to treat every moment and line as important.

its not really a showcase for 3d in the way houseki no kuni is but it's more a demonstration that smartly used and competently made 3d can add a lot to a show without having to be like, stunning. there's a lot of little body language jokes in mygo that you barely ever see in 2d anime. stuff thats *possible* in 2d but usually isn't done due to time and effort reasons, but having a 3d model do them takes way less time and money. despite this it avoids the like, disney 3d movie flaw of being overanimated. some of what they do with the animation is pretty subtle.

its cool imo. i recommend it.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

honestly this season whips rear end. frieren, apothecary diaries, bravern, dungeon meshi, and a sign of affection are all absolutely fantastic

this is pretty much my watchlist, plus torture princess and tomozaki-kun

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think the 'wariness' of 3d is largely unfair and born from bad association. its not like people use, idk, marchen madchen as an excuse to think 2d anime is bad, but the more recent berserk anime is used as a reason to think 3d is bad. its a little unfortunate when so much good work is being done in the space. people mostly associate 3d with cost cutting instead of as a legitimate form of animation, when most of the shows that are using 3d as a cost-cutting measure, its not like theyd look good if they were 2D. if the recent berserk was 2d itd be 5 frames of animation per episode.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

yeah it's really good. i also think i had a hole in my life for this kind of show rn. just hitting the spot with super robot energy.

i'm still a few episodes behind so i've been avoiding the dedicated thread, but bravern really reminds me of gridman in some ways which i love

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

cave emperor posted:

this is pretty much my watchlist, plus torture princess and tomozaki-kun

i love tomozaki but i also think it's kind of mid, if that makes sense

this season in particular has been laborious on occasion. the episode with the multiple rewritten plot synopses of the fantasy story was painful, and some of the stuff in the tama/erika plot could have definitely been cut down. it's only kind of okay looking, and although the premise and writing are interesting, the plotting is usually pretty straightforward.

but tomozaki, at its core, is using this kind of standard slice-of-life setup to try to say interesting things about social dynamics and how to be an interesting person, and it actually gets there. there have been a couple of plotlines or discussions in this season of tomozaki that have made me think about myself and how i interact with the world. that's loving cool.

Big Leg posted:

i'm still a few episodes behind so i've been avoiding the dedicated thread, but bravern really reminds me of gridman in some ways which i love

yeah, in particular gridman and bravern feel like very similar characters.

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 19, 2024

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

symbolic posted:

Was thinking a Hokuto no Ken fan would be extremely wary of 3D until I realised.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

i think the 'wariness' of 3d is largely unfair and born from bad association. its not like people use, idk, marchen madchen as an excuse to think 2d anime is bad, but the more recent berserk anime is used as a reason to think 3d is bad. its a little unfortunate when so much good work is being done in the space. people mostly associate 3d with cost cutting instead of as a legitimate form of animation, when most of the shows that are using 3d as a cost-cutting measure, its not like theyd look good if they were 2D. if the recent berserk was 2d itd be 5 frames of animation per episode.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Nothing immediately comes to mind in regards to series that were 3d that really popped because they were 3d rather than regardless of it or despite it.

And given that the vast majority of all 3d shows are doing that as a part of cost cutting, why should one not make that assumption?

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 19, 2024

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The original Spice & Wolf was made at a time when a lot of LNs got around 6 eps per book so they got through four books by the time season 2 was done (skipping one ofc) and the more languid pace was one of the original show's charm. So I'm definitely looking forward to the new show but there's a part of me that wonders how a 2024 LN adaption pace will do it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

One episode per book, gonna get through em all baby

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

Nothing immediately comes to mind in regards to series that were 3d that really popped because they were 3d
houseki no kuni

Xelkelvos posted:

And given that the vast majority of all 3d shows are doing that as a part of cost cutting
not really. 3d animation is not significantly cheaper than 2d. in most cases it is more expensive. and there is not some glut of cheap-looking 3d anime, at least not anymore than cheap-looking 2d anime.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 19, 2024

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

I think it doesn't help that one of the most famous 3D anime studios, Polygon, tends to do pretty ehh work (especially with their lighting and character animation) despite being in the game for a long time by this point.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Nothing immediately comes to mind in regards to series that were 3d that really popped because they were 3d rather than regardless of it or despite it.

And given that the vast majority of all 3d shows are doing that as a part of cost cutting, why should one not make that assumption?

trigun stampede utilized the 3d pretty well i thought. really any of studio orange's 3d work would qualify here right? i certainly didn't think beastars looked bad. and i'm not going to say the 3d in dorohedoro was immaculate but broadly it was pretty good, and i'm not sure that's an anime that would be feasible to make in 2d without sacrificing visual complexity.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I think it doesn't help that one of the most famous 3D anime studios, Polygon, tends to do pretty ehh work (especially with their lighting and character animation) despite being in the game for a long time by this point.

polygon pictures has done more damage to the reputation of 3d anime than berserk (2016) could ever hope to

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ninjewtsu posted:

trigun stampede utilized the 3d pretty well i thought.

Yeah I cringed at it for the 1st few minutes then by the end of 1st ep realized this was working well.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

The original Spice & Wolf was made at a time when a lot of LNs got around 6 eps per book so they got through four books by the time season 2 was done (skipping one ofc) and the more languid pace was one of the original show's charm. So I'm definitely looking forward to the new show but there's a part of me that wonders how a 2024 LN adaption pace will do it.

I'm a bit worried about this + the tendency of these kinds of remakes to value accuracy to the source material above anything else.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Big Leg posted:

now this right here is a good sell! what ways out of curiosity?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

it being borne of bad association is partly the case (as evidenced by a couple posts upthread) but it's also that it personally just hits an uncanny valley for me, who didnt get weened on like, Vocaloid, and whose only exposure to 3D anime stuff is HnK (very good), sequences in Zombieland Saga (ehhh), and the brief uses of it in Do It Yourself!! (very bad). i'm still going to check out GBC, it might just take a bit longer for me to ease into it based on that style but i have no preconceived notion about it being bad. if anything, watching the PV once or twice more made me more hopeful now noticing how fluid the more dynamic animations are

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Sleng Teng posted:

Probably how the mecha element is a big abrupt intrusion on a grounded setting, and different characters with different familiarity/buy-in to that react differently and it contextualizes the fights a lot. Beyond that it's not that similar, Bravern is pretty high concept and not personal and metaphorical to nearly the same extent. It's also way faster paced if that was a thing that stuck out to you about SSSS.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
3D anime is good. Trigun Stampede was (mostly) gorgeous last year.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

3D anime is good. Trigun Stampede was (mostly) gorgeous last year.

Speaking of, there hasn’t been any further news on Season 2 yet has there (I’m pretty sure one’s been confirmed at least)?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Definitely in some degree of development given how the season ended but no concrete times announced.

Wonder who will be the new voice for Zazie.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Nate RFB posted:

i miss those days.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Definitely in some degree of development given how the season ended but no concrete times announced.

Wonder who will be the new voice for Zazie.

I’m also curious how they’re going to handle Milly since they’re bringing her on for the middle of the story as opposed to right at the start like the manga and original anime did

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i looked at clips of Trigun Stampede, just looks like an episode of RWBY to me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

GateOfD posted:

i looked at clips of Trigun Stampede, just looks like an episode of RWBY to me.

It’s good and you should watch it honestly (they even got JYB back for the dub)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm not watching until milly appears

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i'm not watching until milly appears

They mention her at the end of the first season so it seems like they’ll be bringing her in for the second

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Sleng Teng posted:

there's always the lingering sense that their reality is strangely artificial and childish (although i'm guessing bravern might not be as literal in that regard). like there's a scene in bravern where the two main dudes are boxing out their emotions and bravern hangs a boom mic over them

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Caphi posted:

Probably how the mecha element is a big abrupt intrusion on a grounded setting, and different characters with different familiarity/buy-in to that react differently and it contextualizes the fights a lot. Beyond that it's not that similar, Bravern is pretty high concept and not personal and metaphorical to nearly the same extent. It's also way faster paced if that was a thing that stuck out to you about SSSS.

yeah they are very different in direction and themes, but i really like when the mundane is constantly interrupted with these absurd/alien elements that the characters kind of just accept.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bravern exiting a mission briefing by blasting a scene transition eyecatch only to cut back to the rest of the briefing room watching in silence.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Big Leg posted:

yeah they are very different in direction and themes, but i really like when the mundane is constantly interrupted with these absurd/alien elements that the characters kind of just accept.

the amount of times the admiral just stares and goes "my god..."

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Big Leg posted:

there's always the lingering sense that their reality is strangely artificial and childish (although i'm guessing bravern might not be as literal in that regard). like there's a scene in bravern where the two main dudes are boxing out their emotions and bravern hangs a boom mic over them

Yeah I remember people were making Samurai Flamenco comparisons about the first episode but that was just a vibe and hasn't really borne out the same way in practice.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

the amount of times the admiral just stares and goes "my god..."

lol, i guess there is a little more self awareness in bravern than like yuta eating chinese food with the bad guys while they talk about their master plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Arc Hammer posted:

Bravern exiting a mission briefing by blasting a scene transition eyecatch only to cut back to the rest of the briefing room watching in silence.

Bravern making a speech and his theme music swells and all the soldiers going "..... where's that music coming from???"