Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

TheMostFrench posted:

That came across far too seriously. The pawns are canonically targets of racism or at least prejudice for their unusual emotionless nature. I'm told the game opens with a Pawn slave mine. Now people are using the character building tech to create even more non-human pawns, and I'm sarcastically remarking that I just can't wait to see how they'll handle that.

No I am not actually hoping they will be racist.

Oh lol I thought you meant more along the lines of accidentally hiring a pawn with the Racist inclination and she keeps hurling slurs at the monsters you're fighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Can you preload this game on PS5?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

All pawns are racist. They assume just because one goblin hates fire they all do.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Spermando posted:

Can you preload this game on PS5?

Yeah but not until tomorrow

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Not to be a buzzkill, but I'm playing through DD1 for the first time and man is the lack of lock-on really throwing me off. It's more than just not being able to have a dot on something. It means you can't strafe, and more than that it means you can't even really just... turn in place to face an enemy on the spot. So if there's an enemy you want to fight and you're in a big chaotic group of stuff, if you can't find the room to circle around and face them, you can't hit them. It's especially frustrating when there's one guy at like 5% health who still has all his damage capability and you just can't turn and hit him once to take him off the field. Honestly, and to keep that element in the upcoming sequel almost seems like a design decision made in stubborn defiance of modern conceits because "that's just how we done it in the first game, don't rock the boat," rather than a deliberate decision made because it makes the game better / more fun.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I never even noticed lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Melee strikes damage all enemies that they hit, so you don't really need lock-on for that, and if you're an archer and you're surrounded by enemies then you have already hosed up.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
If it helps based on footage it looks like archer will have some sort of auto targeting but you can aim for precision shots if needed, but there’s footage of people just shooting arrows and they hit whatever’s closest

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
lmao who needs to target when you have big sword

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also there was an auto lock-on for a lot of skills in DD1, at least for Sorcerer/Magick Archer/Mage/Mystic Knight

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Ok it does make me feel better that so many people seem to adapt to it just fine.

Also that Warrior class with the giant sword does seem like a ton of fun, and most of those attacks are AoE anyway so...

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
yeah I think it's something that you get used to and the game is pretty generous about pulling you towards where you want to go.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

some vtuber posted a video showing her official pawn and it confirmed there's more hair colors in the full game

i think we all figured there would be, but it's nice to know for sure.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

personally i just attack my enemies until they die

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Nuebot posted:

lmao who needs to target when you have big sword

:hmmyes:

Setting yourself on fire and grabbing the enemy is an option too.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Who has the self immolation skill now? It used to be a Magick Archer dagger skill, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No Dignity posted:

Who has the self immolation skill now? It used to be a Magick Archer dagger skill, right?

Thief gets it at least per videos.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I guess nothing would be harmed by adding a lockon but I never felt like I needed one. for big monsters it helps to keep free control of the camera like monster hunter and the game has a little bit of invisible aim assist to turn melee attacks toward an enemy so it’s not hard to hit small enemies without a lockon.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Looks like everyone and their mother is going Mystic Spearhand, so I might go Trickster to be more of a special snowflake.

Yes, I'm aware it's a single player game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I'm eager to at least try warfarer despite some of the downsides it sounds like it has

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
TBH I don't use lock on in FromSoft games either, at least in melee, because you can move around and redirect swings easier without it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm simply going to switch between classes and enjoy a wide range of playstyles over my playthrough

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Kevin Bacon posted:

personally i just attack my enemies until they die

bad advice. dont listen to this guy

Jack B Nimble posted:

TBH I don't use lock on in FromSoft games either, at least in melee, because you can move around and redirect swings easier without it

it was always funny as a warrior in DD to power up lash and being able to instantly pivot to whatever direction you wanted as you crash it down

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I'm gonna find the class that has the best perfect counter and spam that through the game just like I did in DD1.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I plan to go mystic spearhand but the sorcerer improvements sound really good and I may be tempted away to that if the improvements are as good as they sound because big bombastic spells are fun and the gameplay for them sounds more active than it used to be?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zore posted:

Also there was an auto lock-on for a lot of skills in DD1, at least for Sorcerer/Magick Archer/Mage/Mystic Knight

Magic specifically had lock-on in DD1.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Sloober posted:

bad advice. dont listen to this guy

it was always funny as a warrior in DD to power up lash and being able to instantly pivot to whatever direction you wanted as you crash it down

It was also very fun to spend like, a billion years charging that poo poo up to full and then just obliterate whatever stupid chimera ran into it. I can't wait to do it again.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Nuebot posted:

It was also very fun to spend like, a billion years charging that poo poo up to full and then just obliterate whatever stupid chimera ran into it. I can't wait to do it again.

This is why I'm a greatsword user in monster hunter. It's like crack.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Putting the final touches on my pawn's make-up, and as always it's hilarious when you drag certain sliders all the way to the right:

Don't tell me I'm wearing too much make-up, this is not a phase mom, the Golden Woman is who I really am

Before settling on this more boring/conventional option:

e: might tone it down even further, I'm just not a fan of the heavy blush look.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 19, 2024

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

WarpedLichen posted:

I'm gonna find the class that has the best perfect counter and spam that through the game just like I did in DD1.

Fighter got all of Mystic Knight's shield buffs for perfect blocks, along with having a perfect-into-combo skill. Even got a silly skill that damages enemies when they dodge roll.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I’m really glad they gave warrior such a major glow up with the monster hunter greatsword tackle and the timed hits thing, I think that’s going to make it much more interesting to play and just hope there’s fewer encounters where the lack of range is suffering/pawns know how to cover for its weaknesses now.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I wanna try wayfarer, I like that kind of jack of all trades red mage thing

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I know we're limited with our Wayfarer knowledge, but do we know if it's going to be viable to basically set it up as a hybrid vocation of 2 vocations, or do we think it will really need to use all of them to shine? It'd be cool to make some sort of Paladin-like character with a Fighter. Or maybe some sort of Fighter/Warrior combo.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I know we're limited with our Wayfarer knowledge, but do we know if it's going to be viable to basically set it up as a hybrid vocation of 2 vocations, or do we think it will really need to use all of them to shine? It'd be cool to make some sort of Paladin-like character with a Fighter. Or maybe some sort of Fighter/Warrior combo.

Totally agree. I'd rather play a class that specializes in, say, two entirely unique weapons and/or maybe a third off-weapon that don't otherwise go together and their associated skills, than to be forced to use literally every weapon type in an exhaustive rotation just to keep up.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm always amazed at people who can move sliders around to make a character look like a real person. I think a lot of it comes down to hair/facial hair, like if they have something close but not quite the same I feel like no matter how I move the sliders it will always look close but not quite the same.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Draven posted:

:hmmyes:

Setting yourself on fire and grabbing the enemy is an option too.

No joke, this kind of play style turned Borderlands 2 from a lovely run of the mill looter shooter into a unique FPS experience worth playing through with Krieg, a melee focused character that dealt more damage while on fire and taking damage and could even attack after dying with a farewell grenade that if it kills anyone else, you get revived to get on fighting, hopefully still on fire.

More games should explicitly identify "bad play styles" that are possible or tempting in their game and make a class or mechanic to support it.

DD should have a class that Ill likes not being on fire and does their best damage while grappled by an ogre or in the maw of a hydra. Let me show them the power of the Arisen by dying at their feet and resurrecting in a ln explosive dome of fury.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Honestly I have no idea what class I want to play as.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If the leveling system is anything like the first game then the correct answer is "every class" so that you can use the best augments from every class while you're figuring out which class you like playing the most.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They changed the leveling system, you no longer get to make the ultrabeast character by power leveling specific classes to ideal limits for best stat growth.

This should make the game balance feel a little more natural to people but it also means I can't be the special boy better than everyone else because I jumped through the obtuse hoops I read about online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Khanstant posted:

They changed the leveling system, you no longer get to make the ultrabeast character by power leveling specific classes to ideal limits for best stat growth.

This should make the game balance feel a little more natural to people but it also means I can't be the special boy better than everyone else because I jumped through the obtuse hoops I read about online.

Do you know if the Augments are still a thing or not though? Because that's a separate system.