Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I can't speak overall, but just from my own experience growing up in a pretty typical mix of Baptist/etc churches, Eastern Orthodox was outside the realm of anything that ever really got mentioned. It feels much further distant than catholicism, I don't remember hearing about any longheld conflict other than general theological disagreements.

Eastern Orthodox holiday Russian checking in.

Orthodoxy has waaaay more in common with Catholicism than the differences but no, there are theological discussions and disagreements, (let’s talk about calendar issues as well as the Great Schism) but I don’t think there have been wars fought or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

The Dumbest Man.... in the world

Amazing how you can diagnose time of death from when a brain ceased to function with just a post

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

titty_baby_ posted:

"But what if the kid has bad vibes?"

Just be rivals turned friends like in anime

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Somewhat different varieties of the same underlying brain worms.

Actually curious now, do eastern orthodox and protestant branches of christianity have a problem with each other or is there not enough shared history? I'm not aware of any directly violent background like catholics/protestants and catholics/eastern orthodox.

The Eastern Orthodox and Catholic churches both consider themselves the proper successor of the original Roman Church (which can be called Catholic or Orthodox depending on how you want to translate it), their main schism was over whether the Pope in Rome should be head of the church or there should be multiple Patriarchs in charge. The churches split, and later the Russian branch of the church declared a new Patriarch, but while there was some significant disagreement, they didn't have the kind of direct conflict Protestants and Catholics did and didn't generally have countries switching which they followed.

In the modern US, the Orthodox church is generally considered a bit unusual, but not out there or not-really-Christian like Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses. The Orthodox presence in the US is small enough that they never got tied in to the anti-Catholic conspiracy theories or the extreme evangelical 'Catholics are in league with the Devil' stuff. It probably helps that while 'Orthodox Church' is mostly associated with Russia in people's minds, in the 20th century they were oppressed by the USSR so even during the height of the red scare weren't associated with being part of the other side of the cold war.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
And a surprising number of Americans think they’re Jewish. Weird, foreign, ‘orthodox’ in the name I guess.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

Vim Fuego posted:

He should comment on her weight next.

"Given human size variation over millennia and historical rates of malnutrition, I can say with some degree of certainty you are in the top 2-3 percentile of heaviest women to ever live on the planet earth, my dear."

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Vim Fuego posted:

I won't vote for him as the dumbest man in the world until I know how many days he thinks are in a week.

But drat he's up in the running there. She is too, those kinds of games are stupid to play

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
That's a little harsh. Anyone who doesn't know about the 4 simultaneous days in one earth rotation has probably just been educated stupid.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

ReelBigLizard posted:

That's a little harsh. Anyone who doesn't know about the 4 simultaneous days in one earth rotation eight days of the week has probably just been educated stupid.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Vim Fuego posted:

To be honest, I'm not sure what answer he could have given. If he said "your sister is a 10", she could have easily thought that he found her sister turbo-hot. The only winning move is not to play of course, but given the circumstances, I think a 6-7 was the best answer he could give.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

CommissarMega posted:

To be honest, I'm not sure what answer he could have given. If he said "your sister is a 10", she could have easily thought that he found her sister turbo-hot. The only winning move is not to play of course, but given the circumstances, I think a 6-7 was the best answer he could give.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Remulak posted:

And a surprising number of Americans think they’re Jewish. Weird, foreign, ‘orthodox’ in the name I guess.

As Russian Orthodox, I've confused Chasidic Jews when I said I was Orthodox. We confuse everybody.

IME a lot of the Orthodox people I grew up with tended very conservative/Tea Party/MAGA. Insofar as beef with Protestants... my mom had to convert from Methodist to be allowed to marry my dad (and instantly reverted when they divorced).

Most of the Americans I've met that have any idea of what an Orthodox Christian is got it from 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding'. Which sure. Absolutely close enough.

ETA: My husband was raised Catholic. At this point the priests basically went 'eh, close enough, at least you're choosing a church wedding. Whatever.'

Hopes Fall fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 19, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hopes Fall posted:

ETA: My husband was raised Catholic. At this point the priests basically went 'eh, close enough, at least you're choosing a church wedding. Whatever.'

I always got the vibe that's more or less the attitude between the Catholic and Orthodox churches. Especially back in the day they were so far apart and yet also similar enough in structure that they seemed to mutually agree it just wasn't worth loving with each other most of the time. (the Protestants and such in your own backyard are another story)

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
One priest tried pretty hard to push conversion... but he himself was an adult convert. The rest of the clergy said 'it's not ideal, but it's America and the odds just aren't in your favor for finding an Orthodox guy. Just promise to raise the babies Orthodox'. We crossed our fingers behind our backs on that one, and then he got a vasectomy. Whooops!

It always seems to work out that way, the folks raised in the tradition are way more chill about it than the converts. It's like they think they have to prove themselves.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

My assumption was that its a classic Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879 vs Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912 issue, kind of surprised they're not some flavour of niche evangelical.

Do orthodox churches have similar dumbass schisms every six weeks?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Rating people's looks is always a losing move but I'll admit I really dislike people who are all "a 10 is perfect and nothing is perfect so nothing in life is a 10" (extend this to rating anything else. well this isn't the one perfect book/game/item in the world so it's not a 5/5). It feels like an edgy and immature worldview.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The funnier failure would be to rate his wife's identical twin higher than her somehow.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just like the idea that a person might get five baskets to sort things from most to least favorite and they'd leave one entirely empty because they can't put a paragon in it

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Brawnfire posted:

I just like the idea that a person might get five baskets to sort things from most to least favorite and they'd leave one entirely empty because they can't put a paragon in it

jennifer hale is the only true 10/10, agreed

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The funnier failure would be to rate his wife's identical twin higher than her somehow.

I literally reread it because I assumed he did that exact thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Boob Cop posted:

Ok what the gently caress, I would be super disappointed to walk into a place called Twin Peaks that was about boobs. I got boobs at home, I want the Kyle MacLachlan special!
Do you have any idea how expensive it is to pay a barbershop quartet to stand at the back of the room looking pensive all day?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The only acceptable response to those sorts of questions

https://youtu.be/IhfYJZoRlJk

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm honestly a little mad over him saying 5/10 is "a bit better than average" and otherwise instantly derailing into decimals.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Clocks posted:

Rating people's looks is always a losing move but I'll admit I really dislike people who are all "a 10 is perfect and nothing is perfect so nothing in life is a 10" (extend this to rating anything else. well this isn't the one perfect book/game/item in the world so it's not a 5/5). It feels like an edgy and immature worldview.
I had a professor who applied this view to grades and it was goddamned infuriating

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Slo-Tek posted:

Eastern Orthodox is fast rising amongst various American trad-chuds, because Roman Catholics don't hate queers enough, I think.
Huh. I thought Rod Dreher was the only guy who did that, and he's a very specific type of hosed-up freak.

I'm guessing the mass conversion thing is because conservative Catholics have rationalized the Church's scandals by blaming it on a homosexual conspiracy and not the Church itself. In that light, converting to Orthodox makes sense.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I always got the vibe that's more or less the attitude between the Catholic and Orthodox churches. Especially back in the day they were so far apart and yet also similar enough in structure that they seemed to mutually agree it just wasn't worth loving with each other most of the time. (the Protestants and such in your own backyard are another story)

Reds under the bed and prods in your yod (here for the yard sard and/or groj sale)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Clocks posted:

I think it probably says a lot about the kind of people who are super into rating looks never seem to just view the ratings as straight deciles, it always has to be some insane bell curve. A 9 is never "hotter than 4 out of 5 people", it's always "hotter than 9,999,999,999 out of 10 billion people."

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

They're right to defend Cameron winning both.

tbh - this feels like a failure of the raffle organizers. Most raffles will only allow people to win a single prize. But even if they did that, there was no guarantee that this other brat would have won.

I was drawing tickets for prizes for a mixed group of 6-13 year olds and I pulled the same kid's name two times in a row. I pocketed the ticket and pulled another one. The kid whose second prize I squashed smelled a rat and got really upset.

His dad took him home instead of letting him harass the other kid tho

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I can see it being a problem limiting prizes where you pay for tickets, and if you're going to do that you definitely need to say so beforehand.

I was in an unpaid raffle where my tickets kept coming up. For the second one I just said someone else could have it, but I was definitely going to take the prize if my ticket was called a third time. The fourth time it came up they just looked at the ticket, looked at me, I laughed and waved them off, and they threw the ticket away and pulled another one lol

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hopes Fall posted:

It always seems to work out that way, the folks raised in the tradition are way more chill about it than the converts. It's like they think they have to prove themselves.

I think it's part trying to prove yourself and part that if you actively convert you've found something that works for you and are going to be more gung-ho about that.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

I think it's part trying to prove yourself and part that if you actively convert you've found something that works for you and are going to be more gung-ho about that.

A lot of people that grow up in a religion just sort of stick around because of inertia.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

CommissarMega posted:

"Hrm. I don't know. I've never thought of your sister in that kind of way. She's my sister now too. I don't judge family members in terms of attractiveness."

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Shanghaied posted:

Don't use a car seat. Your baby will just be thrown clear.

Two words: BABY ZORB

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Agrikk posted:

Orthodoxy has waaaay more in common with Catholicism than the differences but no, there are theological discussions and disagreements, (let’s talk about calendar issues as well as the Great Schism) but I don’t think there have been wars fought or anything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_the_Latins
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sack_of_Thessalonica_(1185)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sack_of_Constantinople
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_of_Che%C5%82m_Eparchy

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Oh. Well. There you go then.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

AITA for rejecting my mom’s request to help me with her vaginal cream? And screaming at her?

quote:

I am 30, female, asian, non English speaker living in the states. Sorry if my English is bad.
I am currently visiting my home country, Asia, and am staying with my parents for three days.

My parents are the asian boomers who got married cuz it was time to reproduce. There’s a lot of negative tension between them. They used to involve me in their fights, and I was forced to listen to them screaming at each other.
Once, during the fight, my dad would tell me that my mom was so stiff in bed.
This was the conversation that made me avoid them ever since cause it was so shocking to me. I do not talk to them unless it is necessary.

Other than that they provided me with the basics, education/housing/all normal stuffs. Honestly they were horrible parents but I am grateful for them for not throwing me away when I was young cause when my parents involve me in their fights, it gets ugly.

Today in my second day at home, my mom came to my room and asked me to insert a clindamycin vaginal cream using a pistol(the pistol was given from the pharmacy, it looks like a 💉). I refused. Also, I did not ask why she needed it because I did not want to know why she needed it. It could be from her recent sex with dad that gave her something, or her old age requiring this. I simply do not want to know their freakin sex life.

Now other than refusing her request,
this part I want to know what you guys think.

I also said, you have a husband who probably looked at your vagina lots of times. You should ask him for help. Plus this is a seven day treatment and I am leaving tomorrow. How do expect me to help after I am gone?

My mom said, I don’t show him my vagina.

I said, 😧you guys had sex to have me and my sister. You know how to put the pistol in your vagina just do what u did to reproduce.

She said cynically, well aren’t you speaking adoreably? (This part is hard to translate)

I closed the door.

I screamed while speaking to her because the sex dialogue that happened with them when I was young started reappearing in my brain. The last thing I want to be involved is anything related to their reproductive areas. It makes me sick.

What would u guys do? Would u just let the past go and help with her vaginal cream?
What The fucg was i supposed to do????

r/relationships: I am currently visiting my home country, Asia

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
My parents are white boomers but I wouldn't say they're the white boomers. Sometimes my dad even leaves his gun at home.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

liquidypoo posted:

AITA for rejecting my mom’s request to help me with her vaginal cream? And screaming at her?

r/relationships: I am currently visiting my home country, Asia

Tbqh, if you're 30, you parents are most likely too young to be boomers.

loving gen x though. Goddam.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Halloween Jack posted:

My parents are white boomers but I wouldn't say they're the white boomers. Sometimes my dad even leaves his gun at home.

Unloaded and secured in the gun safe, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Batterypowered7 posted:

Unloaded and secured in the gun safe, right?

Loaded and aimed at the front door with a string tied to the trigger, and to the door so if the door opens, the gun goes off