Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Augments are still a thing and work the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

My memory is pretty terrible so I legit don't remember what I played in the first game. Pretty sure it was strider, so I'll probably go thief -> mystic spearhand (yeah yeah, me and the rest of the world) or try magic archer or something. Or, I mean, since the stat distribution doesn't matter anymore it can't hurt to try everything until I figure out what I like.

Also pretty sure my pawn was a mage which must be the most common thing to do as well. I'm torn between "well it makes sense, you get to bring your own support with you!" to "well everyone else is doing it, so I should do something different" to "well what if everyone else is going to think the same way and make something different and then I'll need a mage-" good ole WIFOM. (I'm also aware you don't need a mage.)

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Clocks posted:

My memory is pretty terrible so I legit don't remember what I played in the first game. Pretty sure it was strider, so I'll probably go thief -> mystic spearhand (yeah yeah, me and the rest of the world) or try magic archer or something. Or, I mean, since the stat distribution doesn't matter anymore it can't hurt to try everything until I figure out what I like.

Also pretty sure my pawn was a mage which must be the most common thing to do as well. I'm torn between "well it makes sense, you get to bring your own support with you!" to "well everyone else is doing it, so I should do something different" to "well what if everyone else is going to think the same way and make something different and then I'll need a mage-" good ole WIFOM. (I'm also aware you don't need a mage.)

There was an abundance of mages simply because of healing, yeah. I'm thinking for DD2, I'm going to go down the warrior route as soon as I can unlock it, keep my pawn as a fighter and pick up a mage/ distance fighter from the stone.

It's the advanced vocations where I get paralyzed by choice. I'm hoping since they're further into the game that I'll have a better idea by time I reach that point.

Khanstant posted:

No joke, this kind of play style turned Borderlands 2 from a lovely run of the mill looter shooter into a unique FPS experience worth playing through with Krieg, a melee focused character that dealt more damage while on fire and taking damage and could even attack after dying with a farewell grenade that if it kills anyone else, you get revived to get on fighting, hopefully still on fire.

More games should explicitly identify "bad play styles" that are possible or tempting in their game and make a class or mechanic to support it.

DD should have a class that Ill likes not being on fire and does their best damage while grappled by an ogre or in the maw of a hydra. Let me show them the power of the Arisen by dying at their feet and resurrecting in a ln explosive dome of fury.

I really should do another krieg run at some point. He was such a fun character.

I absolutely agree with you, more games should just let you do ridiculous poo poo and reward you for it.

Draven fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 19, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Clocks posted:

I followed the same reasoning in my decision to make an Archer pawn. Then it turned out that tons of people were making archer pawns, probably similarly assuming they could stand out this way since everyone else would be making a mage as per usual. Yeah, classic game theory.

In the end, I think you should just make your pawn whatever you feel like without thinking about it too much, it'll work out regardless. Mine is still an archer just because, and also because I assume the AI will be competent at hitting targets from afar, possibly more competent than even I myself would be.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

In 1 I went Strider primarily and my Pawn was Mage(eventually Sorcerer). In this one I'm starting Thief and thinking going Spearhand but might go for Magic Archer? Or try out Sorcerer. My pawn is gonna be max height and big muscles, start Fighter, and later go Warrior. I'll let them tank things and carry all my stuff.

Alternately I might give Warfarer a shot and do a hybrid Sorcerer/Thief thing. But it depends on how compromised that class is compared to the normal ones.

Looking forward to when we get a full list of Augments and can start figuring out fun combos.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
honestly playing through DA with a support pawn made me realize how insanely OP they can be. grapnel and torpor are absolutely nuts. thinking about being the support lockdown mage this time now that pawn AI is apparently goated. imagine warfarer with mage/trickster, buffing your pawns up and then locking everything down so they just annihilate everyone

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That's right, keep making those Mage and Archer Pawns.
That's exactly how I'm going to make bank on pimping out my thirst-trap Warrior Pawn.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I'm a bit bummed mystic spearhand looks just objectively more fun to play than the rest of the classes. I was really hoping they would have sped warrior gameplay up a bit. Unfortunately going off the videos it looks like he spends the majority of the time getting rag dolled.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Clocks posted:

good ole WIFOM

Goddammit, now i feel old. Well done.

Can't wait to fly into free again!

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Jack Trades posted:

That's exactly how I'm going to make bank on pimping out my thirst-trap Warrior Pawn.

Wonder how many Karlach pawns we're going to see.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
we finally have info about what dragonsplague is and how it works and it's basically pawn herpes, this is going to devastate the online pawn community if it works the way I think it does

also LMAO if this works how i think it does the only two ways to get rid of it are to kill your pawn permanently (or whatever "forfeit" means) or they give it to another pawn, and if that's permanent it means people are going to rent pawns, give them dragon aids, and then release them and whoever rents them will have it and risk giving it to their own pawns

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 19, 2024

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Khanstant posted:

They changed the leveling system, you no longer get to make the ultrabeast character by power leveling specific classes to ideal limits for best stat growth.

This should make the game balance feel a little more natural to people but it also means I can't be the special boy better than everyone else because I jumped through the obtuse hoops I read about online.

Even maximizing attack growth by levelling 1-10 Fighter 11-200 Assassin only ever made a single digit percentage difference in damage output. The actual difference was never very significant, the fact that it existed just made it an outsized focus of the extreme min/max folks. Most people don't actually play that way, which made the whole "optimizing stat growth while levelling" thing kind of an apocryphal white whale when talking about the game online.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.vg247.com/dragons-dogma-2-12-years-in-the-making

Dragon's Dogma 2 was apparently in development since 2019.

So I'm guessing "Ladies Night" had to die so that DD2 could live.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

we finally have info about what dragonsplague is and how it works and it's basically pawn herpes, this is going to devastate the online pawn community if it works the way I think it does

also LMAO if this works how i think it does the only two ways to get rid of it are to kill your pawn permanently (or whatever "forfeit" means) or they give it to another pawn, and if that's permanent it means people are going to rent pawns, give them dragon aids, and then release them and whoever rents them will have it and risk giving it to their own pawns

Why...why would they do this

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Draven posted:

I've already seen several Lae'zels on this very forum, where I could also tell it was supposed to be Lae'zel without the goon even saying anything.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Draven posted:

You can't really make Karlach. Without the skin tone or the horns, even if you recreate the face it's not that recognizable.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Goddammit Itsuno, I know it's pretty much just marketing speech but you make me want to believe in you. You make me want to believe in the Moon.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dragon fight in space? I daren't dream...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I got Moon Moon

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Goddammit Itsuno, I know it's pretty much just marketing speech but you make me want to believe in you. You make me want to believe in the Moon.

I'm a bit worried about getting too hyped up and then getting disappointed but when Itsuno said "it will exceed your expectations" about Devil May Cry 5, a big chunk of the fan base laughed at the statement, for being typical marketing exaggeration, including me.

And then the game exceeded everyone's expectations. Max Acted them even.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Phlegmish posted:

I assume it's to promote using different pawns/rotating them out but it sounds awful if true.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Well on the plus side it’s 1) probably rare, and 2) makes your pawn way stronger while it has it, so it’s a risk/reward thing. Also there’s plenty of pawns out in the world so you won’t necessarily alter the online pool

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Stop spoiling the game, god dammit.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well I tend to get attached to my party members in video games so I'm not going to drop a pawn I like just because they contracted a pawn STD

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Phlegmish posted:

Well I tend to get attached to my party members in video games so I'm not going to drop a pawn I like just because they contracted a pawn STD

I mean, if it works like the original hired pawns don't level up while in your party so you'll have to drop them eventually.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

speedrunning through the game to find the delta pants

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

Even maximizing attack growth by levelling 1-10 Fighter 11-200 Assassin only ever made a single digit percentage difference in damage output. The actual difference was never very significant, the fact that it existed just made it an outsized focus of the extreme min/max folks. Most people don't actually play that way, which made the whole "optimizing stat growth while levelling" thing kind of an apocryphal white whale when talking about the game online.

Yeah that's why I'm poking fun at it, for some players, and myself arbitrarily at times, find the satisfaction in finding some specific way to do things unnaturally in return for a later payoff, kind of a delayed gratification. Knowing these types of players behaviours exists provides a good reason to evaluate systems like the old leveling.

Gotta ask what it adds and what it takes away from. Is the abstract notion of simulating different classes imparting different skills growths into a character important or just a cute flavourful idea? If it's the former, then lean into it, make it important, derive scenarios where the players choices one way or the other make an impact in how they can overcome obstacles. If it's the latter, then consider the consequences of the flavour and weigh it against the changes that happen if you discard it.

In DDs case, the leveling system makes such a marginal system they obviously didn't think it that important to lean on as a pillar of combat or world design. The consequences is that in a subset of game players, they will essentially be avoiding playing what they feel like in the moment in order to maintain the minmax end goal, which they will eventually enjoy at the expense of freedom of choice until that late game end point, which also is where all builds are functionally just as OP.

So I'm glad they fixed it, it didn't add anything really and just accidentally encourages play patterns that don't enhance the game. I was planning on just playing whatever class suits me when I open the game and am playing, eventually hitting em all because why not try it all, but it's nice knowing I'm not even less than 1% worse for not sticking with one class for xxx levels or whatever.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I just hope the game runs alright on my rig, my GPU is up to recommended levels but my CPU is above minimum but below recommended. Hopefully DLSS and lowering some settings will get it running alright.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I am going to play this game. Anyone else?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

DRAGONS DOGMA 2!!!!!!!!!!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Propaganda Hour posted:

:yeah:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Pretty dumb that it isn't thursday right now imo

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Propaganda Hour posted:

Not for another 2 days. And gently caress you for rubbing it in

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vargs posted:

Pretty dumb that it isn't thursday right now imo

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

When those GMG keys

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

Yes and No. Because of the (bad imo) way that the armor system worked, it could be anything from that single digit to a hundred fold difference.

Like this video ostensibly sets out to show that stats are meaningless, but shows that even with the best weapons in the game reducing the effect as much as possible, a max strength build will do twice as much physical damage compared to a min strength one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIKi0uWGgMo

It's still not required to beat the game and definitely not what I would recommend for a first playthrough, but it's not nothing.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Khanstant posted:

They changed the leveling system, you no longer get to make the ultrabeast character by power leveling specific classes to ideal limits for best stat growth.

This should make the game balance feel a little more natural to people but it also means I can't be the special boy better than everyone else because I jumped through the obtuse hoops I read about online.

Why is being able to be the special boy better than everybody else, in a single player video game, a bad thing, exactly? Note this is not the same question as "why is all the stat min/maxing shenanigans a bad thing?"

(PS: replying with "I can't feel joy if other people can play a video game the way they want because that would diminish my ownership of the sense of accomplishment I get from being good at it" is not valid answer)

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 19, 2024

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I just remember before i knew about stat growth trying to switch from assassin to magic archer for my ng+ playthrough and doing such little damage to everything I never finished it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I'm just happy we'll have pawns that aren't wearing the princess dress.