Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't understand your issue here. Like, legitimately, I'm not sure what the problem is. You want to play two different games on two different devices, from the same library, at the same time... as the same user?

Because with the new family setting, you can do everything you need, except that last part, which I'm still confused about.

I think the idea is, on your gaming pc you're queuing for some multi-player game and on the steam deck you can play an idle game or something less effort like a rpg.

Could always make a second account, just won't share saves/achievements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
gotta get the faraday cage case so when i wake my deck while i'm in game on my pc it doesn't kick both devices off and make me relogin

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

parasyte posted:

gotta get the faraday cage case so when i wake my deck while i'm in game on my pc it doesn't kick both devices off and make me relogin

I simply have my deck in offline mode.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Any way to make it not constantly reset you to showing you logged into chat whenever it pleases?

There's only so many times I can notice that blue bar and manually set it to offline.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Ineffiable posted:

I think the idea is, on your gaming pc you're queuing for some multi-player game and on the steam deck you can play an idle game or something less effort like a rpg.

Could always make a second account, just won't share saves/achievements.

Yeah, it's not that weird. A friend of mine is obsessed with this sports management game that basically plays itself, and it would be nice to have that doing its thing while he plays something else, without having to mess with accounts.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Yeah, it's not that weird. A friend of mine is obsessed with this sports management game that basically plays itself, and it would be nice to have that doing its thing while he plays something else, without having to mess with accounts.

He can put the Steam Deck in offline mode and only bring it online when he wants to sync his saves.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Now that GoG has brought Alpha Protocol back someone please point me to an absolute idiots guide to getting GoG games running on a deck.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

RandolphCarter posted:

Now that GoG has brought Alpha Protocol back someone please point me to an absolute idiots guide to getting GoG games running on a deck.

As an FYI If you bought it back when it was on Steam it runs fine on deck as is.

edit: well, with a note that I only played the first few hours, so if there's some horrible bug at the end I didn't see it.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

As an FYI If you bought it back when it was on Steam it runs fine on deck as is.

I did not.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Your loss, but at least you can fix it now: use Lutris or Heroic Launcher. Instructions like this should do the trick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zrz9WMbqP4

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RandolphCarter posted:

Does it have controller support?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Does it have controller support?

The PC version did yes.

One thing that doesn’t apply to the deck is that you needed analog triggers or you couldn’t play the game. Lock picking needs analog triggers and you have to pick a lock 3 minutes into the game lol.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: well, with a note that I only played the first few hours, so if there's some horrible bug at the end I didn't see it.

It looks like a few games I bought a while ago have been delisted:

Transformers Devastation
Wolfenstein 2009
Alpha Protocol

Going to try all of these on the Deck

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Is Alpha Protocol still hilariously broken or are there fan patches to make it merely broken?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Has it ever happened before that something that was on Steam and delisted came back as an exclusive to another store?

So weird.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Alpha Protocol is so good, while still having glaringly large issues.

Pro-tip: level up your pistol and... I don't know, whatever else you'd want. The pistol can get you through most if not all of the game. Then just focus on those decisions and dialogue trees.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Has it ever happened before that something that was on Steam and delisted came back as an exclusive to another store?

So weird.

Are we counting Epic's pre-order shenanigans?

I had Metro: Exodus on Steam during the year of Epic blackout for that reason.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Deathlove posted:

Is Alpha Protocol still hilariously broken or are there fan patches to make it merely broken?

Last time I played last year it was mostly fine on the Steam release except sometimes you'd load a save and all the enemies would not be there anymore. I think there was a workaround by not using "load last save" or whatever but it was still annoying. Otherwise worked fine.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

the first time you beat alpha protocol it's a charming, ambitious, and deeply flawed rpg.

the second time you beat it, it's a god damned revelation

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Neverwinter Nights 2.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

is the old alpha protocol thread gone? i remember rope kid posting some info in there and i swear somebody found some combo of plot triggers like five years in that revealed a scene that no one had ever seen before

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I managed to get completely stuck in that game on PS3 years ago but I really loved it so it it runs OK on deck, I’m all over it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I think I asked but does PS3 run on deck? I miss uncharted 1-3

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Deathlove posted:

It’s fine as is.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rolo posted:

I think I asked but does PS3 run on deck? I miss uncharted 1-3

Game by game basis. It’s nowhere near perfect.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Saoshyant posted:

Neverwinter Nights 2.

Huh, TIL.

I've had it on Steam (well the platinum version or whatever) for years. I also have it on GoG for whatever reason.

Good game though.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Game by game basis. It’s nowhere near perfect.

What about uncharted specifically?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So weird.

loving Rocket League :mad:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah league pisses me off.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One of the weekly tasks when I worked at Gamestop was gathering and packaging up a list of stuff to ship back to corporate. One time, one of the items was a boxed Steam code of Rocket League. So I redeemed the key and shipped it off. And that's the story of how I stole a copy of Rocket League.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mr E posted:

Last time I played last year it was mostly fine on the Steam release except sometimes you'd load a save and all the enemies would not be there anymore.

Unless you're needing an event trigger from killing enemies (and maybe those are all of the triggers, I can't remember) you might be better off.

Alpha Protocol could be an interactive visual novel and it would lose nothing. gently caress, I'd love that. Fully voiced, player choices out the rear end, ahhhh, that'd be great.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Unless you're needing an event trigger from killing enemies (and maybe those are all of the triggers, I can't remember) you might be better off.

Alpha Protocol could be an interactive visual novel and it would lose nothing. gently caress, I'd love that. Fully voiced, player choices out the rear end, ahhhh, that'd be great.

How moddable is it?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rolo posted:

What about uncharted specifically?

Nope, PS3 you’re largely limited to the lighter games since the Deck doesn’t actually meet what RPCS3 lists as its minimum requirements on the CPU side. Stuff like After Burner Climax and Outrun Online Arcade run great, very few of the full retail games will and Uncharted absolutely won’t.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

njsykora posted:

Nope, PS3 you’re largely limited to the lighter games since the Deck doesn’t actually meet what RPCS3 lists as its minimum requirements on the CPU side. Stuff like After Burner Climax and Outrun Online Arcade run great, very few of the full retail games will and Uncharted absolutely won’t.

It's worth checking on YouTube which has a vid of pretty much every PS3 game running on Steam Deck.

Some graphically intensive stuff works - I wouldn't have thought Dante's Inferno would have worked but I got a locked 60 out of it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Some PS3 games, particularly those ported from the 360, don't make use of all the SPEs. I assume those are the ones that run better on the Deck since the idle SPEs won't take up much core time.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I haven't done much more than the introduction but demons souls seems to play well.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
What's the best recommended controller for the Deck at this time? Also, if you have Metal Gear and use a PlayStation controller does the game recognize them as pressure sensitive or do you have to play the same as you would with an Xbox controller?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Diabetic posted:

What's the best recommended controller for the Deck at this time?
Among third party controllers the 8BitDo SN30 Pro 2 is pretty good. If supports both analog triggers and gyro over Bluetooth, although not at the same time (you have to switch between S and X modes).

The 8BitDo Ultimate is also a good choice, but bafflingly it only supports analog triggers using the 2.4G USB dongle, which requires a USB-C hub. If you're only using the controller then docked though then that's fine.

For 2D games I'm partial to the SEGA Saturn-inspired 8BitDo M30, which I think has the best d-pad in the business. No analog sticks though.

Among first-party controllers I believe the DS4 and DualSense are both supported (no haptics though?) and can use gyro and analog triggers simultaneously, but I don't have one.

Xbox controllers also work well but they lack gyro across the board.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Quote <> Edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I agree, but you could aso go the other way and stick it in the fox engine. either way, you've got yourself a best game ever