Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Anno posted:

A few days into playing this now and I’m generally impressed with the improvements over Genshin in certain areas. The proper nouns are often still kinda much but the moment to moment dialogue and character stuff is much improved. Weirdly the texting seems the best written of all? Whoever handles that writing has a good handle on things, there’s a lot of nice writing and knowing reference stuff.

Combat and character stuff is very cool too and feels like a slight step up character building wise from Genshin. It seems like there’s just a lot more characters now which I think is fun. I assume that means they’ll have to be more aggressive with powercreeping characters, but early on at least it seems like there are more pulls too?

There are more pulls, but I think the pull to character ratio is a little in Genshin's favor just because they relentlessly churn out a new character for every banner here. You really need to find a way to decide filter out which cool characters you're okay with missing in this game, because imo they do a better job than Genshin of making most characters feel special in some way too. That can come in the form of power creep, which I do think will be a bigger problem with this game than Genshin, or in the form of designs, which are generally flashier or more interesting than Genshin's imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Zokari posted:

i don't really pay attention to any stuff outside of the game and i have no loving idea what any of you are talking about

this is the way

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

There are more pulls, but I think the pull to character ratio is a little in Genshin's favor just because they relentlessly churn out a new character for every banner here. You really need to find a way to decide filter out which cool characters you're okay with missing in this game, because imo they do a better job than Genshin of making most characters feel special in some way too. That can come in the form of power creep, which I do think will be a bigger problem with this game than Genshin, or in the form of designs, which are generally flashier or more interesting than Genshin's imo.

I’m fine with that personally just because I don’t really care if I collect ‘em all - I guess it’s probably bad for people who are more into that. Does it affect how they do reruns though? Or maybe there just hasn’t been enough time yet to have to address that.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Anno posted:

I’m fine with that personally just because I don’t really care if I collect ‘em all - I guess it’s probably bad for people who are more into that. Does it affect how they do reruns though? Or maybe there just hasn’t been enough time yet to have to address that.

Too early to really say yeah. So far there are just the two banners for new characters and reruns, but they'll have to find a solution beyond that faster than Genshin did because the backlog's obviously going to grow faster than they can rerun them without doing something else. If the new banner ends up working out for Genshin there's no reason they can't bring it over here though.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Zokari posted:

i don't really pay attention to any stuff outside of the game and i have no loving idea what any of you are talking about

Well the Annihilation Gang stuff is literally inside the game, aside from that one trailer where they dumped a bunch of characters who we never see again (until they need to release more)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

no paimon is already a vast improvement

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Seems to me like the roster hasn't powercrept a lot so far, more the spikes of certain characters filling some roles that are very powerful, while others either have bad kits or too specific a niche without anyone that makes their niche kit work. Genshin esque there a year in, sure Ganyu(Jingliu equivalent?)/Hu Tao were ridiculous, but certain 4* characters carry rosters, while all the limited 5*s are still great.

It'll be interesting to see if/how much they play with modifying the express crew over time. On one hand I wouldn't expect it because :10bux: but on the other they've already handed out Ratio, who knows maybe player goodwill is a secret path to :10bux: as well.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Is there a reason they gave him to everyone? I assumed he would just be a mid, kinda beginner 5* like maybe you’d find on the standard banner or something, but he seems quite powerful.

Also thematically just a fun character. Him just hucking rulers or whatever around for massive damage is hilarious.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

no, paimon is already a vast improvement

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hes very good but he synergizes woth a lot of relatively niche 5*s so it seems like an attempt to get you to pull more while looking generous

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Anno posted:

Is there a reason they gave him to everyone? I assumed he would just be a mid, kinda beginner 5* like maybe you’d find on the standard banner or something, but he seems quite powerful.

Also thematically just a fun character. Him just hucking rulers or whatever around for massive damage is hilarious.

Because Star Rail won best mobile game at the Game Awards. And Dr. Ratio is very good, one of the best units in the game even but he synnergizes with another more niche character who hasn’t been rerun yet.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Wait wait wait if Acheron is losing her memory why doesn't she have Memento notes and poo poo all over her body?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Selenephos posted:

Because Star Rail won best mobile game at the Game Awards. And Dr. Ratio is very good, one of the best units in the game even but he synnergizes with another more niche character who hasn’t been rerun yet.

Also in-universe / in-livestream, because Doctor Ratio believes in universal free higher education, with "higher education" being defined as "the presence of Doctor Ratio."

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Wait wait wait if Acheron is losing her memory why doesn't she have Memento notes and poo poo all over her body?

she saw how the movie ended

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Eej posted:

Ifrit is said to be covered in the blood of innocents as he reflects on why Nanook doesn't notice him and it's because the Annihilation Gang destroys with so much cruelty, greed and vengeance that it disgusts Nanook. So if anything he deserves to be jobbed off screen the most!

I just hope it's not a full year before we get any kind of payoff. Introducing Inferno offscreen, having a cracked teaser trailer for his kids, and killing him offscreen feels a bit pointless. We could have never interacted with him on the space station, and the story wouldn't have changed one bit between Ruan Mei and now. There's plenty of time for Constance and the others to appear, but the pacing feels a bit off.

Endorph posted:

Hes very good but he synergizes woth a lot of relatively niche 5*s so it seems like an attempt to get you to pull more while looking generous

While true, he's still very good without those supporting 5 stars. A team of Ratio, Guinaifen/Pela, and Gallagher is still going to hit pretty hard and work very well together. You could even ignore a second debuffer for a Tingyun or Bronya if you wanted.

Edit: It's very funny to me that a good Dr. Ratio free team is basically the same as a good Acheron free team.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 19, 2024

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Selenephos posted:

And Dr. Ratio is very good, one of the best units in the game even

is he? he seems pretty middle of the pack

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

padijun posted:

He deals startlingly large amounts of damage.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

padijun posted:

He's generally regarded as one of the strongest single target characters currently in the game. My mid rear end Ratio usually puts out about 60k+ per turn, and that's not counting when his ult is up.

I think his strength highly depends on his supports, just like every other dps. But Ratio's best supports are different from most other characters. Not having Topaz and Silver Wolf probably makes a huge difference in his power output.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

NachtSieger posted:

He deals startlingly large amounts of damage.

compared to who?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ratio does more single target damage than Jingliu or DHIL. It's kind of his thing.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Eej posted:

Ratio does more single target damage than Jingliu or DHIL. It's kind of his thing.

The difference is that those 2 are multi-target, so everyone only remembers the big funny numbers.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

padijun posted:

compared to who?

He deals as much damage as dan IL, and arguably more in two elite moc's

He's not remotely planned as a free character, he was built to be as powerful as any limited 5 star, his free-ness was last minute.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Bad Video Games posted:

Introducing Inferno offscreen, having a cracked teaser trailer for his kids, and killing him offscreen feels a bit pointless. We could have never interacted with him on the space station, and the story wouldn't have changed one bit between Ruan Mei and now. There's plenty of time for Constance and the others to appear, but the pacing feels a bit off.

Not sure if it's what they were going for but I thought it was a cool misdirection. It looked like Inferno was being set up to be the big bad of Penacony when in reality it's The Family(my working theory).

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I feel like Seele may have been powercrept especially due to the inherit unluckiness of being the game's first 5*, but that might just be me (I dont really use her anymore)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
She's definitely still very good but there's a lot more options that work better than using her for some stuff now

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Not sure if it's what they were going for but I thought it was a cool misdirection. It looked like Inferno was being set up to be the big bad of Penacony when in reality it's The Family(my working theory).

I get that impression as well. It's just falling a bit flat for me because everything is offscreen. I don't remember if Inferno even mentioned Penacony during Ruan Mei's and Ratio's stories. Everything is in a YouTube video or mentioned in passing. I really hope we meet at least 1 of his kids in 1.1.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I didn't care about Inferno even when they were talking about him then so I'm glad he's dead.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

padijun posted:

No? He's consistently considered one of the best characters in the game, he does the most single target damage out of everyone and is and not actually that awful when dealing with multiple enemies since if you kill an enemy with his skill, his follow up attack will hit another enemy and can potentially kill it too. He's not Jingliu or DHIL E2 levels of busted, but he's considered extremely high tier for Memories of Chaos. Pair him with Topaz and Sparkle and he'll consistently do 300-500K damage at his peak and that's just at E0.

Bad Video Games posted:

I get that impression as well. It's just falling a bit flat for me because everything is offscreen. I don't remember if Inferno even mentioned Penacony during Ruan Mei's and Ratio's stories. Everything is in a YouTube video or mentioned in passing. I really hope we meet at least 1 of his kids in 1.1.

Inferno is literally the main villain of Ratio's companion quest. He just wasn't a very effective one because Ratio completely outsmarted him and made him doomed to fail from the start. That's kind of the thing with the Annihilation Gang, as much as they love to terrorize and raze worlds to the ground the moment they face any real resistance they fold like a deck of cards. It's one of the reasons Nanook never even paid attention to Inferno and his crew, they were pathetic in his eyes.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 20, 2024

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Dr Ratio, Ruan Mei, and Black Swan are almost always active for me these days. It is time for tea and cakes!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Mid Ratio just doesn't feel as good as mid Yuan.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I wish my Ratio was good, his FUAs do maybe 10k if I'm lucky and crit

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I almost regret pulling for Seele, but tbh it was fun to have her at launch and I might not have kept playing without that, so I guess it was worth it. I'll have to get Fu Xuan when she comes back to see if mono quantum is real. Even if it's not, I guess Sparkle and Fu Xuan are some of the top recommended teammates for Acheron, so they'll work out anyway. I really need to pull for something that isn't quantum or lightning at some point though.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I almost regret pulling for Seele

dumb

all the guys you love now are gonna be mid af sooner or later

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

kirbysuperstar posted:

I wish my Ratio was good, his FUAs do maybe 10k if I'm lucky and crit

I went all in on Ratio. I have his lc and his best supports. With max stacks after his ult, he does around 15k on his skill and 75k+ on follow-up. I can't wait for Aventurine! :)

Zokari posted:

dumb

all the guys you love now are gonna be mid af sooner or later

Exactly. Use who you like and focus on making them better unless you find someone you like more.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Seele is still absolutely loving amazing. Like Top 3 in MoCs good. Any falling off is relative, she still dominates when built and supported right same as any hyper-carry. But yeah, pull who you love and you'll never feel bad about it a day in your life.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Sparkle doesn't work with acheron unless you are going for e2

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Tae posted:

Sparkle doesn't work with acheron unless you are going for e2

If that Nihility healer ever shows up, Sparkle will be cracked with her.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

My mono quanto team is dying halfway through MoC 12 on Sam. All this time spent half-assing their relics and now it’s biting me in the rear end. I wonder if I might not have better luck with Ratio. Should I be focusing down the trotters if I go with a hunt team?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I feel like Duke Inferno (who was very lame, tbh) is probably definitely dead but the kids are still out there

because otherwise they'd be a waste of some good character designs :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Meowywitch posted:

I feel like Duke Inferno (who was very lame, tbh) is probably definitely dead but the kids are still out there

because otherwise they'd be a waste of some good character designs :shobon:

What a huge pile of "I can fix him/her" they can throw onto banners