Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Why is being able to be the special boy better than everybody else because I jumped through the obtuse hoops I read about online, in a single player video game, a bad thing, exactly?

(PS: replying with "I can't feel joy if other people can play a video game the way they want to play them because that will diminish my ownsership of the accomplishment of being good at it" is not valid answer)

Single player game does not mean "a game with no online social elements" and something that drastically skews the power level that people are not going to find out without following online guides tends to make people either feel like they have to follow step by step instructions or that playing anything less than optimally is bad, which is a crappy feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Jimlit posted:

I'm a bit bummed mystic spearhand looks just objectively more fun to play than the rest of the classes. I was really hoping they would have sped warrior gameplay up a bit. Unfortunately going off the videos it looks like he spends the majority of the time getting rag dolled.

I mean, have you seen the Warrior class? It gets to absolutely wreck the house with a two handed sword the size of the character that shakes the screen and momentarily pauses combat just to show how ridiculously hard it's slamming into stuff. That seems pretty fun.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Why is being able to be the special boy better than everybody else, in a single player video game, a bad thing, exactly? Note this is not the same question as "why is all the stat min/maxing shenanigans a bad thing?"

(PS: replying with "I can't feel joy if other people can play a video game the way they want because that would diminish my ownership of the sense of accomplishment I get from being good at it" is not valid answer)

That aspect isn't the bad thing, nothing wrong with a game allowing you to get special. The problem lies in how you get to being special and what it means for gameplay until you do. In DD1s case it just made for a more boring experience overall since you engage with far fewer classes overall in lieu of getting the assassin or whatever growths for attack. I

I still hope there's a way to be special by doing something a little out of your way or natural impulses, but that payoff should come way before I've basically done everything in the game more than once, and the tradeoff you make shouldn't be "ignore all this fun stuff because in 180 more levels being the same class all along will give you more attack and then you can try out the other classes and do whatever (and whatever is probably butt chugging attack boosts and launching 10x explosive arrows volleys at that point in the game anyway)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Like for argument say they kept the class stat growth thing in. Instead of just making assassin flat out have the best relevant stat growths, give each class a range of stat growth where they earn more than usual, such that to minmax you'd rotate through every class during certain level ranges to get your optimal stats for phys or magic attacker.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My second attempt at designing my pawn. Tried to specifically avoid making a generic face.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Single player game does not mean "a game with no online social elements" and something that drastically skews the power level that people are not going to find out without following online guides tends to make people either feel like they have to follow step by step instructions or that playing anything less than optimally is bad, which is a crappy feeling.

I guess I don't see that as a problem. If you're having a blast playing a single player game with a playstyle you like, but it happens to be slightly less powerful than whatever the most meta thing happens to be, who cares? So long as the game still feels fun to play, I don't think it matters. I don't think your experience is going to be ruined or even diminished just by knowing that other people went out of their way to build some crazy broken meta character.

There's a guy on youtube who makes Elden Ring "one shot bosses" videos where he basically breaks the game over his knee by using every item and trick in the book to do these crazy buffing routines before he saunters into every boss arena and, sure enough, one shots them. I don't think "oh no there's a more efficient way to beat these bosses, which means my memory of dying 30 times before I beat them has been made worse."

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 19, 2024

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Khanstant posted:

That aspect isn't the bad thing, nothing wrong with a game allowing you to get special. The problem lies in how you get to being special and what it means for gameplay until you do. In DD1s case it just made for a more boring experience overall since you engage with far fewer classes overall in lieu of getting the assassin or whatever growths for attack. I

I still hope there's a way to be special by doing something a little out of your way or natural impulses, but that payoff should come way before I've basically done everything in the game more than once, and the tradeoff you make shouldn't be "ignore all this fun stuff because in 180 more levels being the same class all along will give you more attack and then you can try out the other classes and do whatever (and whatever is probably butt chugging attack boosts and launching 10x explosive arrows volleys at that point in the game anyway)

Ok that I agree with. If a game is built around clearly wanting you to try a bunch of different classes but implements permanent stat fuckery to ensure that if you do, you can't ultimately get where you want to go eventually, which means you have to follow a rigid, less fun path to get there, then yeah that's a bad thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

I guess I don't see that as a problem. If you're having a blast playing a single player game with a playstyle you like, but it happens to be slightly less powerful than whatever the most meta thing happens to be, who cares? So long as the game still feels fun to play, I don't think it matters. I don't think your experience is going to be ruined or even diminished just by knowing that other people went out of their way to build some crazy broken meta character.

There's a guy on youtube who makes Elden Ring "one shot bosses" videos where he basically breaks the game over his knee by using every item and trick in the book to do these crazy buffing routines before he saunters into every boss arena and, sure enough, one shots the thing. I don't think "oh no there's a more efficient way to beat these bosses, which means my memory of dying 30 times before I beat them has been made worse."

In theory you're right. In practice it is very easy for people to get disheartened or dejected by something like that. It happens pretty regularly and you can see it on these forums where people feel the need to follow some guide to get the super optimal perfect build despite it being not fun to do and it ends up making them hate the game. Like there are so many games where people spend their time doing something that loving suuuuuucks because it's 1% more optimal or it gets you a trophy or something and for certain mindsets it is genuinely a game-ruining experience for them.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
Also, enemies in Dragon's Dogma have a lot of health. Wanting to be efficient when you've got multiple healthbars to chew through on one enemy isn't all that strange.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ImpAtom posted:

In theory you're right. In practice it is very easy for people to get disheartened or dejected by something like that. It happens pretty regularly and you can see it on these forums where people feel the need to follow some guide to get the super optimal perfect build despite it being not fun to do and it ends up making them hate the game. Like there are so many games where people spend their time doing something that loving suuuuuucks because it's 1% more optimal or it gets you a trophy or something and for certain mindsets it is genuinely a game-ruining experience for them.

That sucks but it's a them problem and it really shouldn't be a factor in design decisions

e: a lot of people on these forums do this to themselves or push through bad games that they're not enjoying, or otherwise play a game in the most misery-inducing way possible, and I wish them the best of luck in breaking the hold of their brain worms and remember that video games are supposed to be fun, and if they're not having fun playing a game, they can just play something else.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 19, 2024

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Draven posted:

I'm just happy we'll have pawns that aren't wearing the princess dress.

After seeing so many female pawns in DD1 I feel like I should make a male pawn, just to be a rebel.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
A enormous issue with the first game is knowing nothing about it and trying to figure out how the levelling system works and having the first hits google or gamefaqs give you be "yeah level assassin/sorceror for 100 levels brah" *you can finish the entire base game by like lv 60-80*

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

DRAGONS DOGMA 2!!!!!!!!!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

That sucks but it's a them problem and it really shouldn't be a factor in design decisions

e: a lot of people on these forums do this to themselves or push through bad games that they're not enjoying, or otherwise play a game in the most misery-inducing way possible, and I wish them the best of luck in breaking the hold of their brain worms and remember that video games are supposed to be fun, and if they're not having fun playing a game, they can just play something else.

Again, in theory I agree with you, but in practice part of game design is figuring out a way to force people to have fun. It's a proven documented issue where if you give people a bad-but optimal way to do things it will become a genuine complaint about the game. And as much as it is reasonable to go "Well, sucks for them," it can end up creating a negative impression of the game. It's particularly noteworthy for a game with DMC DNA in it because like part of the reason the Style system exists in DMC is to force players to engage with mechanics instead of sitting at the back of the room slowly plinking with Ebony and Ivory.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

Eh that's fine for being glib and dismissive of other people you don't want to respect in mean jokes but not really fair or accurate to how those people play games and what they enjoy about em and avoiding creating misery-inducing systems definitely should be a big concern of game developers.

Mr.Sloth
May 20, 2007
Waiting for the day 1 long hair beastwren mod so I can have my cat in the game for real.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This unlocks 5pm Pacific on Thursday, right?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Nothing about the new leveling system prevents you from using whatever hyper-specific combo Reddit decides is optimal. I don't understand the complaint.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

People absolutely need to be saved from themselves (aka minmaxing the fun out of games). I'm a bit that way myself. If it's a perma-stat allocation then suddenly I have to decide whether it's not actually worth my time to try to be optimal (in which case, if I'm wrong, I have to do a whole new playthrough, which I may never do, or which might take a bunch of extra time I'd rather not waste) or I might choose to do it (but it might not be worth my time and make my actual playthrough less fun!). Not having to worry about something like that is good, actually.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Unlucky7 posted:

After seeing so many female pawns in DD1 I feel like I should make a male pawn, just to be a rebel.

Yeah, I was gonna make another female pawn but then I decided to make a Hercule after Toriyama passed and it made a good opportunity to go against the grain.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I think the Warfarer is there for people to minmax and craft their own mashup class that's busted and weird and unique, and other folks can just stick to one of the more standard classes to do their own thing. With Warfarer being unable to use some of the more powerful skills that the other classes have, I think it should balance out into allowing for interesting builds and theorycrafting for challenge runs or optimization without intruding on folks who don't want to play things that way.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Avoiding the min max in DD1 was pretty easy, considering it's a game where you can play a bunch of cool vocations and min maxing requires you to just not play them for dozens of hours, until there's basically no game left to play. Great if you love being an assassin, not so much if you'd rather play as something else.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Mr.Sloth posted:

Waiting for the day 1 long hair beastwren mod so I can have my cat in the game for real.

And the always matted butt hair because he's a fat boi mod so I can have mine

Eliirae
Mar 30, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

This unlocks 5pm Pacific on Thursday, right?

On the Steam version, yes. PS5/Xbox needs to wait until the 22nd.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Eliirae posted:

This is lame.

I work all weekend :(

I was hoping I'd get to play a bit on Thursday night

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just send your pawn in your place.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I wonder if there'll be a PC pre-load? I've seen chatter about one for PS5, so I'd think so. But then which'll be faster; decrypting at launch or downloading and risking the servers being choked . . . :sweatdrop:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
This is nowhere near big enough of a release to kill the servers, if such a thing even exists today. The question is simply, is it faster for you to download or to decrypt?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

Yes and No. Because of the (bad imo) way that the armor system worked, it could be anything from that single digit to a hundred fold difference.

Like this video ostensibly sets out to show that stats are meaningless, but shows that even with the best weapons in the game reducing the effect as much as possible, a max strength build will do twice as much physical damage compared to a min strength one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIKi0uWGgMo

It's still not required to beat the game and definitely not what I would recommend for a first playthrough, but it's not nothing.

Max Str vs Min Str isn't really what anyone is talking about when they say "Just level and don't worry about it that much"

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

NeurosisHead posted:

I wonder if there'll be a PC pre-load? I've seen chatter about one for PS5, so I'd think so. But then which'll be faster; decrypting at launch or downloading and risking the servers being choked . . . :sweatdrop:

I wouldn't expect a download for PC until tomorrow at the very earliest.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

K8.0 posted:

This is nowhere near big enough of a release to kill the servers, if such a thing even exists today. The question is simply, is it faster for you to download or to decrypt?

Steam decryption seems to take an unusually long time. If your internet speed is half way decent, I'd recommend just downloading at release.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 19, 2024

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Node posted:

I hate streamers and content creators, I'm sick of seeing their stupid overexaggerated faces spamming my youtube feed, and I will do nothing but throw those obnoxious assholes off the nearest cliff at every opportunity.

Arisen sucked me off??

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jack Trades posted:

That's right, keep making those Mage and Archer Pawns.
That's exactly how I'm going to make bank on pimping out my thirst-trap Warrior Pawn.

I always make mine a mage because casting spells sucked in the first game and once you had a pawn with good knowledge they were pretty much perfect at nailing weaknesses.

Mr.Sloth posted:

I couldn't find the options to make my character's eyes look far enough in opposing directions or the ears big enough to replicate mine.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Eliirae posted:

It unlocks at 0000 local time on console so if you're on Xbox you can just swap your region to NZ and play it a day early (0700 EST on Thursday)

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Draven posted:

I'm just happy we'll have pawns that aren't wearing the princess dress.

I want my 7 foot tall ripped muscle bound warrior with a full beard named "Princess" swinging his hammer around as the best pawn in the rift.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

VanillaGorilla posted:

It unlocks at 0000 local time on console so if you're on Xbox you can just swap your region to NZ and play it a day early (0700 EST on Thursday)

Game turns out to be a smash hit in New Zealand, with more DD2 players than inhabitants

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

My brain: If I make a goth gf waifu mage pawn, then that will increase the chances of it getting summoned. But most people will have that idea, so I should make a big man fighter pawn to balance out their mage pawn. Though perhaps people will also reach that second conclusion, so I should make a hosed up little goblin archer. But wait...

My heart: My Arisen should have a pawn thats his best friend.

My soul: My Arisen should have a goth gf goblin best friend.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
My DD1 pawn looked like a proto-Ranni from Elden Ring and I got thanked by goons in the DD1 thread since it was such a good healer.

Is there a butt rock song somewhere in the game from the early streamers?? I want the wind to be pushing me during the final boss (I played DD for the first time on ps4 so I didn't get Into Free for the final sequence :( )

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Start putting down Discords and friend groups to find people for sharing pawns, and I'll put them in the second post of the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Pawns are the new MySpace Page, you heard it here first