Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leperflesh posted:

Oh, then I used the DTAS term in the way I intended to mean it, because that's what I meant.
Ah, my bad, something about the context made me think you were using it as DTAS in general. Well, 75% getting it and 25% needlessly confrontational gibberish is still much higher than my usual hitrate so I'll take it. But yeah that's a very good point and leaves me a lot to think about.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Does anyone know of any games other than the incomparable danger patrol that directly use a set list of archetypes as their ability scores? So instead of anyone who wants to play a bruiser type character needing to take high Might, there's just an ability score called Bruiser that's used for unarmed and melee attacks, HP, athletics etc.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Splicer posted:

instead of anyone who wants to play a bruiser type character needing to take high Might, there's just an ability score called Bruiser that's used for unarmed and melee attacks, HP, athletics etc.

Isn't that the same thing?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tarnop posted:

That thread would be a quarter as long if the author didn't go:

- Ooh here's a new word, wonder what that could be? Maybe it's X or Y or Z
- Oh I actually read a page or two ahead and it turns out it's Y, wow I really thought it could have been X or Z

For 3 out of every 4 tweets. At least I had the decency to read the whole book before I hit post :colbert:

e: the "who the gently caress is this actually for" section at the end is good
It's a live read reaction review which is a thing. Read -> reactions, no editing. Or a lot of editing but edited in a way to still read like a live read.

There's pros and cons to a review that reflects the reading experience; a book might have a last chapter twist that makes everything "make sense" so a follow along review will give you a better idea of how it reads than one which is forced to take the ending into account. So a follow along review of an RPG makes sense, because if the RPG is hard to learn based on reading the book that will come across better than a post-read review might. It's also more "honest" in that it's harder to just say "Everyone has superpowers!!! Dumb WoW for babies!" when you're actually quoting chapter by chapter.

Less charitably
1) it's a lot less work than a properly formatted and edited review
2) the format avoids you having to say anything substantive or put your neck out
3) the format leaves you a lot of wriggle room to walk things back because it's all just "initial impressions"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

YggdrasilTM posted:

Isn't that the same thing?
It removes a step of abstraction and puts the focus firmly on archetypes over faux-realism.

It's easy to argue that it's "realistic" to keep str and con split because <bullshit reasons> but "Why do we have separate Powerlifter and a Marathon Runner stats that both suck but a single Nerd stats that gets three times their stuff" is more obvious (assuming you don't have absolutely terminal D&D poisoning).

Archetypes are more evocative. Bruiser + intimidate conjures an immediate image, as does Conman + intimidate. It's pretty easy to see when one would work but not another, when either would work, and why rolling a slightly lower Conman might be a better option for intimidating a CEO in his own boardroom over your higher Bruiser score... but also why the right speech and circumstances might merit Bruiser ("Yeah you can call security, but will you be alive when they get here?")

Similarly "Bruiser 5 Conman 3" conjures an immediate picture of a character, as does "Bruiser 2 Conman 5". "Might 5 Cha 3" and "Might 3 Cha 5" not so much.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Splicer posted:

Does anyone know of any games other than the incomparable danger patrol that directly use a set list of archetypes as their ability scores? So instead of anyone who wants to play a bruiser type character needing to take high Might, there's just an ability score called Bruiser that's used for unarmed and melee attacks, HP, athletics etc.

The Cortex+ Leverage RPG did this exactly— I think the stats were Grifter, Hacker, Hitter, Mastermind, and Thief.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arguably, PDQ does this, in that all of your abilities (Qualities) are keyed off of your descriptive attributes; but they're not taken from a book of templates, you can freeform them.

Here is a PDQ character I made a long long time ago (2009), as an example:

Yoda
Short, green, elderly, looks like an oven mitt, is one with the Force. Yoda is the perfect example of everything that makes Jedi both great, and terrible. Endlessly spouting pseudo-religious platitudes with inexplicably broken grammar, Yoda somehow manages to sound wise despite being consistently wrong in every judgment call he's ever made. Still, he's good-natured, generally friendly, gregarious, crochety, and one must not forget, an immensely powerful and dangerous Force-weilder. Also, possibly immortal, albeit with certain stringent limitations.

+6 Jedi
If it can be done with the Force, Yoda can do it better than you. Lifting things, foreseeing future events, kicking rear end with a lightsaber, and Bewaring the Dark Side, it's all just a matter of a little concentration (and perhaps a strange indenting of the brow) for Yoda.

+2 Little green muppet
Unless they know who he is, people tend to dismiss Yoda as being harmless. He's short, elderly, obviously crippled, and his speech impediment doesn't say much for his intelligence either. Yoda uses this to his advantage frequently, particularly when he can then later reveal his obvious superiority as a condescending object-lesson for some young whippersnapper.

+2 900 years old
Look as good, you will not. Yoda's seen some poo poo, man. 900 years is a hell of a long time. He's probably an expert on dozens of cultures, knows thousands of people, and has the experience of ages.

Not that you can tell.

+2 Somewhat Immortal
If Yoda dies, he becomes more powerful than you can possibly imagine. Or, possibly, an impotent blue ghost, incapable of doing anything but occasionally haunting a protagonist or two. It's hard to say, I've only seen the movies, maybe Jedi ghosts have more powers in the expanded universe?

-2 Light Side
Yoda is utterly devoted to an obviously irrational ideology that requires he shun the 'dark side' of the force, the part made of genuine emotions. Despite repeated and ongoing evidence that this is an utterly failed philosophy, and the obvious problem with taking children and systematically dehumanizing them while simultaneously teaching them all manner of dangerous martial arts (as well as arming them!), Yoda doggedly sticks to his idea that it's better to be calm and collected, even as the entire galaxy goes to poo poo all around you.

Also evidently he has no problem with using clones for cannon-fodder. If you're not force-sensitive, you're just a pawn, I guess.

e. in retrospect, +2 Somewhat Immortal is a bad Quality; it probably only matters once, and when it does, it is a thing that happens permanently. Really he should just gain the quality "+2 Force Ghost" or similar when he dies.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 19, 2024

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Splicer posted:

It's a live read reaction review which is a thing. Read -> reactions, no editing. Or a lot of editing but edited in a way to still read like a live read.

There's pros and cons to a review that reflects the reading experience; a book might have a last chapter twist that makes everything "make sense" so a follow along review will give you a better idea of how it reads than one which is forced to take the ending into account. So a follow along review of an RPG makes sense, because if the RPG is hard to learn based on reading the book that will come across better than a post-read review might. It's also more "honest" in that it's harder to just say "Everyone has superpowers!!! Dumb WoW for babies!" when you're actually quoting chapter by chapter.

Less charitably
1) it's a lot less work than a properly formatted and edited review
2) the format avoids you having to say anything substantive or put your neck out
3) the format leaves you a lot of wriggle room to walk things back because it's all just "initial impressions"

Oh they still manage to get a dumb wow for babies in there, don't worry about that.

So I'm inclined towards the less charitable reading

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Splicer posted:

Off the top of my head: Leverage (depending on what menu of options you choose, Cortex Prime too), On Mighty Thews, Black Star, Unknown Armies 3e, Star Trek Adventures, (and several of the other "lighter" 2d20 system games like Dune and John Carter of Mars), Wushu (technically an open-ended "define your character by whatever you think matters" but still qualifies IMO) Heroquest (same kinda deal), probably others I'm forgetting.

Some of those are hyrids (e.g. Leverage does have traditional ability scores in addition to the roles, but since they don't work like D&D where they determine your baseline abilities like to-hit or hp, I'm still counting them.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Splicer posted:

Over The Edge and Hero Wars/HeroQuest/QuestWorlds have no ability scores, but instead use player-defined keywords that are assigned a rating.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Splicer posted:

Warrior Rogue Mage

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Shout out to my favorite stat array in Outgunned: Brawn, Nerves, Smooth, Focus, and Crime.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Kwyndig posted:

This makes me irrationally angry. The whole point about the AW GM rules is that they're not optional.

This is exactly the design principle of that type of games. Copy a bunch of mechanics from other good games, claim to have the positive qualities of all of them, and declare everything optional to imply that the GM must paper over all of the inconsistencies.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CitizenKeen posted:

Shout out to my favorite stat array in Outgunned: Brawn, Nerves, Smooth, Focus, and Crime.

I like honey heist (bear, and crime) and sexy battle wizards (sexy, battle, wizard obv)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CitizenKeen posted:

Outgunned, Household (Society, Academia,War,Street), and Broken Compass (Action,Guts.Wild,Society,Knowledge,Crime) are all so good.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

3:16: Carnage Amongst The Stars has FA (Fighting Ability, lets you do all combat) and NFA (Non-Fighting Ability, literally everything else).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leperflesh posted:

Arguably, PDQ does this, in that all of your abilities (Qualities) are keyed off of your descriptive attributes; but they're not taken from a book of templates, you can freeform them.

FMguru posted:

Over The Edge and Hero Wars/HeroQuest/QuestWorlds have no ability scores, but instead use player-defined keywords that are assigned a rating.
I was thinking of mentioning PDQ and such as explicitly not what I was thinking of. I'm talking Savage Worlds/GURPS/a classless D&D level of definition and crunch but with genre archetypes rather than physical and mental descriptors. Bruiser always gives the following benefits, and there's optional abilities that say "make a Bruiser roll to X" or "requires +3 Bruiser" or whatever.

a bunch of people posted:

various stuff
Forgot about STA, probably because that doesn't really do derived stats and the skills and the various customisations are pretty light. OMT and WRM are also both a lot lighter than what I was thinking. I don't know the others well enough to comment. I think I'll check out Leverage, I've heard it mentioned a bunch in other situations and now I'm intrigued.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Splicer posted:

I was thinking of mentioning PDQ and such as explicitly not what I was thinking of. I'm talking Savage Worlds/GURPS/a classless D&D level of definition and crunch but with genre archetypes rather than physical and mental descriptors. Bruiser always gives the following benefits, and there's optional abilities that say "make a Bruiser roll to X" or "requires +3 Bruiser" or whatever.

In service of what, though? “Requires +3 bruiser” is a design tactic, not a goal. What experiences and decision-points and narrative tools are you looking for the system to provide with these optional abilities keyed on Bruiser rather than STR?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hostile V posted:

3:16: Carnage Amongst The Stars has FA (Fighting Ability, lets you do all combat) and NFA (Non-Fighting Ability, literally everything else).
One of the few chuckles I got from Greg Costikyan's oh-so-edgy Violence! RPG was that the stat/skill array was the usual whatver but there was one skill called "Everything Else" and you rolled against it if the thing you were trying to do wasn't explicitly covered by any of the other stats/skills.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

In service of what, though? “Requires +3 bruiser” is a design tactic, not a goal. What experiences and decision-points and narrative tools are you looking for the system to provide with these optional abilities keyed on Bruiser rather than STR?

Splicer posted:

It removes a step of abstraction and puts the focus firmly on archetypes over faux-realism.

"Bruiser 5 Conman 3" conjures an immediate picture of a character, as does "Bruiser 2 Conman 5". "Might 5 Cha 3" and "Might 3 Cha 5" not so much.

I mean, that works for me. You can make a case that “Bruiser” is mostly just “Strength” by another name, but I’d say collapsing related stats together under an evocative/defamiliarized name is an entirely defensible design goal.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Hostile V posted:

3:16 is also an absolute blast. If you love Helldivers 2, check out 3:16. It would not at all surprise me if some people on the Helldivers dev team had played it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Parkreiner posted:

I mean, that works for me. You can make a case that “Bruiser” is mostly just “Strength” by another name, but I’d say collapsing related stats together under an evocative/defamiliarized name is an entirely defensible design goal.

that also seems like a tactic and not a goal, but I had missed that Splicer post about emphasizing the archetype, thank you

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

If you have that type of Stats, why do you have Stats or Skills at all? Just use class levels for everything.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Subjunctive posted:

I enjoy lego brick systems with interlocking components, I could type a lot of words about why but maybe some other time. If you're asking why Bruiser over Str, because *waves vaguely at a whole bunch of posts that combine into basing ability scores around "real world" attributes actually working very well*

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

YggdrasilTM posted:

If you have that type of Stats, why do you have Stats or Skills at all? Just use class levels for everything.
*waves vaguely at all my posts from the past couple of days about why classes and ability scores don't mix* so if I'm asking about ability score variants you can safely assume I'm either having a psychotic break or I'm talking about some manner of points based system where classes aren't a thing.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Splicer posted:

*waves vaguely at all my posts from the past couple of days about why classes and ability scores don't mix* so if I'm asking about ability score variants you can safely assume I'm either having a psychotic break or I'm talking about some manner of points based system where classes aren't a thing.
Also Skills though. If you have Bruiser +3, Conman +2, why having a skill system at all.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Kestral posted:

3:16 is also an absolute blast. If you love Helldivers 2, check out 3:16. It would not at all surprise me if some people on the Helldivers dev team had played it.
It's on the docket for the next campaign I'm gonna run for my friends which is why it's on the mind.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Splicer posted:

I enjoy lego brick systems with interlocking components, I could type a lot of words about why but maybe some other time. If you're asking why Bruiser over Str, because *waves vaguely at a whole bunch of posts that combine into basing ability scores around "real world" attributes actually working very well*

I would be interested in the LEGO words for sure!

I’m not sure that Bruiser is any less “real world” than Strength, and indeed it seems like you would choose that word over “Wet” or “Lurple” specifically because players would start with some sense of its meaning imported from their real world experiences. People might not each bring in the same meaning of the word, but that’s the source of some of the problem with SDCIWC as well.

I guess Bruiser carries less external baggage than Strength (of conviction? of odor? like Pillars of Eternity’s Power, so of anything you do?) so that you can set the definition more specifically to your game’s meaning, maybe? I’m not sure that’s actually true for people who aren’t terminally TTRPG-rule brained, though.

I think what I want in attributes is distance from the idea that they make characters (people) better in some way than others with a lower such attribute. You shouldn’t always want more of one, like you would with most RPG’s attributes. I don’t actually know what that looks like while still having attributes differentiate characters usefully, other than perhaps them all being expressions of tradeoffs. “Tall” is useful if you’re trying to reach something high or see over a wall, but a detriment if you’re trying to fit into the guard’s uniform or sleep in coach. I want more structure than with FATE’s labels, though, because I also want some lego.

I also have 1.15mg/kg of ketamine moving through me now, so I might not be making any sense at all.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Subjunctive posted:

I think what I want in attributes is distance from the idea that they make characters (people) better in some way than others with a lower such attribute. You shouldn’t always want more of one, like you would with most RPG’s attributes. I don’t actually know what that looks like while still having attributes differentiate characters usefully, other than perhaps them all being expressions of tradeoffs. “Tall” is useful if you’re trying to reach something high or see over a wall, but a detriment if you’re trying to fit into the guard’s uniform or sleep in coach. I want more structure than with FATE’s labels, though, because I also want some lego.

I also have 1.15mg/kg of ketamine moving through me now, so I might not be making any sense at all.

I think the key distinction is that "tall" is merely descriptive (unless you're Lurch-sized) while Bruiser +3 attempts to quantify how strong of a bruiser archetype you are. If I'm playing a game where I have a limited number of points to put toward my "defining characteristics," I'm sure not putting any into "tall" (unless there's a secondary pool of 'flavor characteristics'). How often is "reach the top shelf" going to show up in the game without it becoming a joke? In theory, a character could have as many descriptive characteristics as the player wants so long as they're not contradictory nor encroaching on "defining characteristics." ("I'm 'Brilliant.' That means I should be able to figure out the killer from these clues." "No, it means you can do the Sunday Times crossword puzzle without a lot of outside help. Jane's Gumshoe +3 is a lot more useful here.")

Your idea about higher not always being better is an interesting one. Berserker +4 is probably worse than Berserker +1 if the party is definitively outclassed and needs to exit stage left. Doctor +4 might mean you refuse to leave a severely wounded opponent on the battlefield without treating them, lest they bleed out, while Medic +2 might just give the poor bastard a shot of morphine and Corpsman +1 might spit in his eye for trying to kill his buddies in the first place. The idea of a personality being encompassed in the "defining characteristics," whatever we call them -- at least the highest ones -- is an interesting one, and an obvious miss by (e.g.) most Fate implementations (which rely on Aspects to do this job, which might smell the same, but aren't necessarily as essential? There's a difference there I'm not putting my finger on.)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The problem with aspects is that mechanically they're all equal which raises some questions.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

EightFlyingCars posted:

this game is dumb. making a critical role rpg is dumb. what we actually need is an Oglaf rpg

There's an artist on Twitter named Rapscallion who's doing basically that(twice in fact, they first did a 5e based Cyberpunk system and are now doing a more OSR inspired fantasy game), can't really directly link to their stuff because well they really like tits and dongs and not a lot of their posts don't contain at least one or the other

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kwyndig posted:

The problem with aspects is that mechanically they're all equal which raises some questions.

I beat people up using my martial artist class. You beat people up using your scientist class. Totally different.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ooooh baby do I ever love games where investing heavily in your design plan is actually a bad thing, and investing the minimum is worse than just not putting points there at all. Lemme just put five dots in Teacher and whoa what do you mean he's far too famous and busy to ever meet or deal with me? I've got one dot in doctor so I kick sick people I come across because they failed at not being sick. Mmm, delicious.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ah yes, the White Wolf School of game design.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i put too many points into Electrochemistry and now i can't stop doing every drug i run across

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Kwyndig posted:

If you go way back in the history to when 'Aspects in Fudge' were first posted about online, they were rated from 1 to 3. But for the kind of game Fate ended up being, that's just more fiddliness than is needed. Otherwise you end up with people trying to use their best aspects for everything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

redleader posted:

i put too many points into Electrochemistry and now i can't stop doing every drug i run across

This is very Unknown Armies.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Kwyndig posted:

Ah yes, the White Wolf School of game design.

A long time ago I learned Jonathan Tweet was a roommate of Mark Rein-Hagen and it was Tweet who mostly wrote the original white wolf engine. It wasn’t a bad little engine but man did it get stretched far too thin.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah, that's kind of my issue with aspects- you can't really map them to anything in particular in the physical reality of the game, so they tend to just get mashed whenever vaguely related, which i think eliminates the dramatically interesting aspects of a character /not/ being able to do something. Sure, it's fun for five minutes to talk about how Bruiser might be used for a Muscle Wizard to cast spells or whatever, but i think it's interesting when things have limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, it's the same problem you get with FATE and the like where you're incentivised to game the system at every turn, and even (heck, especially) a kid can figure out that if your character is best at underwater basket weaving it behooves you to try to solve every situation with it.

It's actually just kinda hard to develop a system that gives you different meaningful options and strengths and weaknesses for solving problems. The forbidden edition's whole thing is making sure every player character has at least the minimum toolkit to perform their role, which is the entire point of a character class system, and then gives options for further specialisation and additional abilities. Having limited resources also incentivises varying your approach, and strategising and coordinating to make the best use of those resources- pulling off full on combo moves in RPGs is fun and characterful as gently caress. And this can work in narrative systems as well as tactical ones.