Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Takeaways from this very good episode:

Firstly Serie is a fascinating case study in hypocrisy. Just that bit about suppressing mana is an amazing way of showing her talking out of both sides of her mouth. And I love every person in this thread who got in here to point out all the ways Frieren and the show in general have been taking shots at her. I especially appreciate the story stating that her intuition and reasoning with regards to this test is completely accurate and valid while also then setting things up so you can apply her own standards against her to see how badly she's lacking.

I think the question of who is the better mage that's been tossed around a little bit in the thread is an interesting one because it is an intentionally misleading one. If we're talking raw power than obviously Serie is stronger than Frieren, but this is a show that's just now wrapping up an arc about how magic is about imagination and that the world of magic is one of upsets where things can be turned on their head at a moment's notice. Moreover Frieren is a show with strong existential and humanistic themes. Serie lives atop an ivory tower in a shockingly small and narrow world and actively holds her relationships at arm's length. It doesn't matter who would win in a fight, Frieren has beaten her decisively without ever lifting a finger against her.

Secondly Fern is very powerful, both when she's pouting and when she's acting as Frieren student.

Third and last I will genuinely be surprised if Ubel fails the exam. She fits Serie's criteria almost perfectly. I think Denken also has a good shot simply because he doesn't give up. The old man is wiry and never went down without a fight.

Edit for a fourth: There's only one episode left :smith:

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

VideoWitch posted:

also like mana is just a reflection of how long a mage spent training. she was already a powerful mage when Frieren started training 1000 years ago, it would be nonsensical for her to have less mana then Frieren

Someone came up with a theory at one point that constantly suppressing your mana might be a form of magical training in itself, you're always flexing your magic 'muscles' and pretty much doing a workout even when you're asleep

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Jerkface posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_4v6L-KO5Y

If you wanna listen to one of the frieren OST tracks for 1 hour watch this, but mostly I wanted to post it for the absolute gorgeous fanart it uses

https://wall.alphacoders.com/big.php?i=1340929

This track is definitely my favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-9FUJxpE9c

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Someone came up with a theory at one point that constantly suppressing your mana might be a form of magical training in itself, you're always flexing your magic 'muscles' and pretty much doing a workout even when you're asleep

Maybe, but hope not. The relationship between Serie and Frieren is considerably more interesting if Serie is legitimately and without question the more powerful mage. Because the whole point is that power isn't the end, it's the means, and while Serie might have more, Frieren is worlds better at using what she has to effect positive change

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It would explain why Fern is such a beast, though

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I mean, you don't have to go out of your way to explain that. She's had a thousand years to practice and was trained by one of the best mages who ever lived. Even when she hosed off into the wilderness for several hundred years, she was still training during that time.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Fern, not Frieren.

But Fern also has inherent talent, a focussed drive and a really competent tutor for most of her live.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh, yeah, misread, but like you say she's laser-focused and also trained by one of the best mages who ever lived.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I get the impression that she both has pretty high mana resources for her age (presumably a combo of innate talent and practicing nonstop since she was a tiny child), and she's also an extremely fast caster compared to many mages (iirc Frieren and others have made note of this).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I like that the story all the way back from Ep. 2 about Frieren wanting to make sure she creates the perfect field of flowers for Himmel's statue has been recontextualized to somehow be even sweeter. :unsmith:

Quinton posted:

I get the impression that she both has pretty high mana resources for her age (presumably a combo of innate talent and practicing nonstop since she was a tiny child), and she's also an extremely fast caster compared to many mages (iirc Frieren and others have made note of this).

I think there's also an aspect that Fern's natural strengths (mana detection/suppression, more dakka) happen to be things that are really useful in a "kill demons" build, which is what Frieren is hyper-specc'd into and thus she makes a naturally perfect teacher for Fern. And yeah Fern is hella talented: we've been told many times that mana suppression is supposed to take decades if not centuries to master, with the only exceptions being Flamme (arguably the greatest human mage in history) having it mastered by adulthood, and Fern having it mastered by like, age 16.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I liked Frieren and Serie's philosophical debate on the use of magic more than the Stille chase or the dungeon crawl. That was a good back and forth between cat elf and frog elf.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

I liked Frieren and Serie's philosophical debate on the use of magic more than the Stille chase or the dungeon crawl. That was a good back and forth between cat elf and frog elf.

Pausing in the middle of the climactic mage duel to do a flashback philosophical debate was sick and maybe my favorite part of the series.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 18, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Skippy McPants posted:

Pausing in the middle of the climactic mage duel to do a flashback philosophical debate was sick and maybe my favorite part of the series.

Personally don't care much for the flashbacks intercutting with the fight scenes but the show has been doing that for nearly every battle so far so it's kind of moot to gripe about it at this point. But I'm also not watching the show for insane spectacle light shows so at least two elves arguing worldviews is interesting.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sure, overall, I enjoy the dumb laster fights, but I agree that the competing worldviews is a lot more interesting. I also like that the show is less concerned with the mechanics of magic than the ethics and impact. It reminds me a lot of Discworld, where the why of magical bullshit was always much more important than the how.

Carnival47
Jul 21, 2004

Sydin posted:

I like that the story all the way back from Ep. 2 about Frieren wanting to make sure she creates the perfect field of flowers for Himmel's statue has been recontextualized to somehow be even sweeter. :unsmith:

I think there's also an aspect that Fern's natural strengths (mana detection/suppression, more dakka) happen to be things that are really useful in a "kill demons" build, which is what Frieren is hyper-specc'd into and thus she makes a naturally perfect teacher for Fern. And yeah Fern is hella talented: we've been told many times that mana suppression is supposed to take decades if not centuries to master, with the only exceptions being Flamme (arguably the greatest human mage in history) having it mastered by adulthood, and Fern having it mastered by like, age 16.

The show also implies that her “ordinary offensive magic” hits a lot harder vs other “ordinary offensive magic”. There are always massive craters in the aftermath of a Fern fight.

Stealth, fast casting and high damage attacks. If Frieren was a mmorpg, about 80% of the hardcore pvpers would take Fern’s spec.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Skippy McPants posted:

Sure, overall, I enjoy the dumb laster fights, but I agree that the competing worldviews is a lot more interesting. I also like that the show is less concerned with the mechanics of magic than the ethics and impact. It reminds me a lot of Discworld, where the why of magical bullshit was always much more important than the how.

The show is concerned with the mechanics of magic only insofar as it can be used to further discussion of the ethics and impact of magic. Which should be the point of world building, you build the world for the sake of the story it's going to be used to tell.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Sydin posted:

And yeah Fern is hella talented: we've been told many times that mana suppression is supposed to take decades if not centuries to master, with the only exceptions being Flamme (arguably the greatest human mage in history) having it mastered by adulthood, and Fern having it mastered by like, age 16.

Fern has also been learning to suppress her mana since she was like 6. Heiter was training her based on what he knew from Frieren before she became Frieren's apprentice so mana suppression is just a natural part of being a mage for her instead of a learned skill like everyone else most of whom picked it up hundreds or thousands of years into their lives.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The junk collector posted:

Fern has also been learning to suppress her mana since she was like 6. Heiter was training her based on what he knew from Frieren before she became Frieren's apprentice so mana suppression is just a natural part of being a mage for her instead of a learned skill like everyone else most of whom picked it up hundreds or thousands of years into their lives.

This also goes back to Frieren's claim that Fern's Zoltraak it a good counter against her because Fern's been casting it her whole life, but Fern's only delt with it for the last 60 years or so.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 34 hours!)

The shadow clone guy probably has big hikkomori energy.

Probably been spending the whole exam just in his bedroom on his mage computer and mage video game consoles

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

GateOfD posted:

The shadow clone guy probably has big hikkomori energy.

Probably been spending the whole exam just in his bedroom on his mage computer and mage video game consoles

And he'll pass because that's what a real mage would do, you idiot children!

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

cat elf and frog elf

gently caress why is this so accurate

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
<:frogout:>

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Need a version of this that says 不合格.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Perfection

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
It needs Serie’s frog elf’s ears.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

You know, with thousands of years at her disposal, you'd think Serie would build some thrones she fits into better.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
If she fits, she sits.
Or the frog variation: If she fills, she stills.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

So what would work for Frieren speaking to Aura?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Haven’t read the manga, taking bets for the series finale:

1. Fern has to kill Frieren for some convoluted reason

2. Frieren visits Fern on her deathbed, agrees to take Stark Jr on as her student

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The manga isn’t finished, so your guesses are as good as anyone’s.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I haven't read the manga either, but I would be really disappointed if there was some kind of master villain or big bad involved, and I would also be really disappointed if there is significant drama/conflict or falling out between Frieren and Fern. It just doesn't feel like that kind of world or story.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
My guess is that the new party reaches Oreole(?) and Frieren chooses to "ascend" or otherwise voluntarily dies in some way and there is a tearful goodbye with her human companions

Skippy McPants posted:

Need a version of this that says 不合格.

帰れ surely

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

帰れ surely

I dunno, I just turned on Japanese subtitles and copied what I saw.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
不合格 (fugoukaku) fail
帰れ (kaere) get out

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, I was going for her repeating "failed" to all the applicants.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Gully Foyle posted:

I haven't read the manga either, but I would be really disappointed if there was some kind of master villain or big bad involved, and I would also be really disappointed if there is significant drama/conflict or falling out between Frieren and Fern. It just doesn't feel like that kind of world or story.

I was thinking along the lines of Assassination Classroom

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sachant posted:

You know, with thousands of years at her disposal, you'd think Serie would build some thrones she fits into better.

That's because the audience doesn't see her montage of going through various throne designs for like a century before meeting Frieren.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It takes elves at least a couple decades of sitting on the same throne to decide if it's uncomfortable or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Maybe she's hoping she can grow into it.