Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Snow Cone Capone posted:

can you imagine what she would have named an original black character if someone asked her on twitter like the jewish one

e: beaten like all of the goblin slaves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
(waits until books are all published) dumbledore is gay i will not elaborate further also his brother hosed a goat

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the french wizard is named fleur delacour

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

J.K. Rowling posted:

the entire country of Africa only has one school

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

(waits until books are all published) dumbledore is gay i will not elaborate further also his brother hosed a goat

The Fantastic Beasts movies very carefully no homo-ing all interactions between Dumbledore and the character he was supposed to be gay for even though they're both major characters.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

id forgotten about Seamus Finnegan, lmao. Also Cho Chang being Harry's consolation date to the wizard prom. There are still full time jobs working on podcasts for this series.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
my harry potter story is this - around 1999/2000, i was 13 years old and read Lord of the Rings over my summer break. when i returned to school after break, it was about the time that harry potter was really gaining popularity in my area. i turned my nose up at it because i was a refined teenager who had read real literature. dodged a loving bullet.

about 10 years ago or so, i foolishly decided to try the first book out of morbid curiosity. it was dogshit

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

seamus finnegan is so funny cause the first book was published in 1997, during the midst of an active ira campaign lol

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

cervantes quixote, spanish wizard

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
we can laugh about how loving messy the series went as it went on and the further dumb poo poo she has said on twitter but even the very first book consistently made no loving sense and was terrible

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Did she even say where exactly the African wizarding school was?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Did she even say where exactly the African wizarding school was?

africa

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can't remember how the House Elves story ends but at least when it's introduced the joke is supposed to be on Hermione for advocating against their indentured servitude

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Bicyclops posted:

I can't remember how the House Elves story ends but at least when it's introduced the joke is supposed to be on Hermione for advocating against their indentured servitude

It ends with it being ok because harry didn't beat him and then he made him a sandwich

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”

Bicyclops posted:

it ends with them still being slaves but do not worry hermione matured and helped institute new laws to treat the slaves humanely

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

also the first book was already showing her being a terf

note how the troll was in the women's bathroom

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

They are books for children

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Mordiceius posted:

also the first book was already showing her being a terf

note how the troll was in the women's bathroom

Seems like a stretch to me

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

page from the expanded lore

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ilmucche posted:

doesn't excuse them for being poo poo!

His Dark Materials is also for children and it is :black101:

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
voted 1

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

ilmucche posted:

It's true, children are retarded

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mordiceius posted:

doesn't excuse them for being poo poo!

His Dark Materials is also for children and it is :black101:

they get worse quite noticeably as they go along, Northern Lights/Golden Compass is god-tier though.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Do they still make kids read Catcher in the Rye? Always hated that Holden kid though I think I was supposed to

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

sebmojo posted:

they get worse quite noticeably as they go along, Northern Lights/Golden Compass is god-tier though.

i mean, i think its cool that they kill god

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I read the Harry Potter books as a child. Mad?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

remember when lavender brown was black in several movies until she had an onscreen role in the plot and as a potential love interest at which point she was replaced by a white actress

https://twitter.com/MrPooni/status/536201137838624768

but considering the name racism perhaps it was better in the long run that the character named lavender brown was not in fact a black woman

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
lavender brown
kingsley shacklebolt
donald pentium

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Al! posted:

donald pentium

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Tiny Myers posted:

remember when lavender brown was black in several movies until she had an onscreen role in the plot and as a potential love interest at which point she was replaced by a white actress

but considering the name racism perhaps it was better in the long run that the character named lavender brown was not in fact a black woman

have you watched the movies

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Tiny Myers posted:

No, I do not remember any of that. I was 15 and not very interested in Harry Potter. I remain the latter at 35.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

On one hand, I could go the rest of my life without hearing grown-rear end adults seriously discuss Harry Potter. On the other, you often get someone coming out of the woodwork to defend wizard racism and/or talk about how much they wanted to gently caress Severus Snape, so that's at least entertaining. Sort of.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

insane anime posted:

have you watched the movies

yeah i liked them :) it's been like over a decade though so I don't remember them super well because I have memory problems. sorry if there's something obvious in the movies that makes my post stupid. i do remember lavender brown was a lovely person I just think it's weird to completely swap a character's race once she's relevant to the plot

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Tiny Myers posted:

yeah i liked them :) it's been like over a decade though so I don't remember them super well because I have memory problems. sorry if there's something obvious in the movies that makes my post stupid. i do remember lavender brown was a lovely person I just think it's weird to completely swap a character's race once she's relevant to the plot

i like them too :)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

snoozaroo

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Don’t know anything about harry potter. my dad only had Stephen King, Discworld and Vonnegut books and thats all I read until I was able to buy my own books and by then I had no interest in wizard schools

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Antivehicular posted:

On one hand, I could go the rest of my life without hearing grown-rear end adults seriously discuss Harry Potter

this d

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i watched all of the harry potter movies with Kevin Murphy, Bill Corbett, and Mike Nelson talking over them

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

never liked them cus they made us read the second one in high school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I did not read the same books as my juvenile peers at age 8, instead I perused true literature such as the works of Herman Melville and Robert Louis Stevenson. Often my classmates would attempt to talk to me of such things as Hermione Granger or Gringotts Bank, I made it clear how sophomoric I found their prattling to be. I finally picked up the first book the other week at age 35, and I must say I found the prose rather lacking.