Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
like a month i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Technically it could be any time up to never because the party with majority could just use their majority to say 'nah we're not feeling it rn'

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Parliament has a standing order that elections happen at least every five years, but can also call one at any time in the interim by dissolving itself (not in acid, just the session(although if they did dissolve themselves in acid that would also trigger one))

Of course parliament can also vote to extend this if it wants to. As it did during the second world war. So the actual check on a majority government not voting to avoid having an election is "people will probably storm the parliament building and murder you if you do that"

I find it refreshingly blunt.

The minimum time to get it sorted I think is about a month? Maybe slightly shorter? It's probably on the parliament website somewhere.

Oh and we do all paper voting and we get the results overnight for the most part. It continues to baffle me that the US takes so long to count its votes. We also vote later than you lot do. Honestly your election system is loving awful.

E: oh and the ballot isn't secret either. In practice it is but striclty it is not, if the electoral commision wants to they can match every vote to the person that cast it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 20, 2024

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Cimber posted:

How is it that you guys can't even know when your next election is going to be? Oh, it'll be sometime between now and Jan 25th....We dunno when exactly.

That date is the final day that an election can take place, but the Prime Minister (and also in theory the ruling monarch) can dissolve parliament at anytime within the 5 year fixed term and call an early general election.

quote:

How much lead time do they need to give before the GE can be held? A week? A month?

I think it's 4 weeks, but I don't know if that's simply by tradition or if it's part of a statute.

e;f;beaten like a royal princess

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Has Camilla been seen in public since the purge?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

fuctifino posted:

Has Camilla been seen in public since the purge?

Yes.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/camilla-leads-royals-prince-william-memorial-godfather-personal-matter/

Basically, her and Ann seem to be the entire set of "working royals" now. Though I think Edward has been seen in public once or twice.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i think she was the one doing all the "work"

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Cimber posted:

Ok, another question away from the latest season of The Crown.

How is it that you guys can't even know when your next election is going to be? Oh, it'll be sometime between now and Jan 25th....We dunno when exactly.

How much lead time do they need to give before the GE can be held? A week? A month?

To add on to what the others have said, we briefly had a law called the Fixed Term Parliament Act, which was brought in as part of the agreement for the Lib Dems to go into a coalition government with the Conservates in 2010. It set out that elections would happen on the first Thursday in May every 5 years, but it was functionally useless because it also allowed parliament to call for an election before then - either with 2/3 of parliament voting for an election, or a majority voting they had no confidence in the current government.

The conservatives have since repealed this and we've gone back to the old "just some time in the next five years please" system.

edit; also technically parliament is dissolved when the Monarch dies so when Charles kicks it William could refuse to re-approve the current Prime Minister/Government, but that would never happen as it would cause a "constitutional" "crisis".

blunt fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 20, 2024

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

fuctifino posted:

That date is the final day that an election can take place, but the Prime Minister (and also in theory the ruling monarch) can dissolve parliament at anytime within the 5 year fixed term and call an early general election.

How much of a shitshow would it be if the monarch did actually say "Ya know what? You are all a bunch of jackasses who are not really doing My Work. Parliament is dissolved, I want new elections within the next month.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The 2/3rds majority was to keep the coalition together. But also there wouldn't strictly be anything stopping a simple majority of parliament voting to repeal the law and then call an election which is quite possible what will happen now, as they have already repealed the law and will probably call an election at least some time when they think they are best placed to lose it as little as possible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cimber posted:

How much of a shitshow would it be if the monarch did actually say "Ya know what? You are all a bunch of jackasses who are not really doing My Work. Parliament is dissolved, I want new elections within the next month.

Last time a King Charles tried to bugger about with parliament he got his head cut off for it. Again "somebody will murder you" remains the first and last check on most elements of the UK government.

E: though there was a civil war involved. Probably can't just go around having local lords raising regiments now though.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cimber posted:

Honestly, if Liz II did it she might have gotten away with it because her longevity gave her a lot of popularity and it's not like the British have any love for our politicians. But if Chuck tries it I suspect they'd find a reason for him to abdicate. You'd hope it'd be bin the entire institution but institutional inertia and all that.

Having an unwritten constitution that relies on everyone respecting established convention and traditions seems woefully inadequate for an age of Donald Trumpand all these other right wingpopulists who've shown what damage you can do by just ignoring unwritten rules but here we are :shrug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If anything I would suggest that writing rules down doesn't seem to be much impediment to them either. That's why I like the lack of rules because it eliminates the false hope.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I've got a bit of time for charlie cos hes waited ages. Willliam is a wife murdering/photoshopping madman and needs to be stopped though.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
There was a drama from 2017, King Charles III, I can't remember all the ins and outs but he did march into the House of Commons at some point causing a constitutional crisis.

https://www.dramarepublic.com/kingcharles

I remember it was pretty good.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

E: oh and the ballot isn't secret either. In practice it is but striclty it is not, if the electoral commision wants to they can match every vote to the person that cast it.

How is this done? As a Canadian, I'm familiar in general with the parliamentary style of elections, and we share many of the same features, but I have no idea how this could be done with our ballots. Like it would be physically impossible.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 20, 2024

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

forkboy84 posted:

Having an unwritten constitution that relies on everyone respecting established convention and traditions seems woefully inadequate for an age of Donald Trumpand all these other right wingpopulists who've shown what damage you can do by just ignoring unwritten rules but here we are :shrug:

Oh don't worry, having a formal written constitution isn't helping much better. We effectively have a parliamentary system here in the US, except without all the upsides of the party in charge being able to get poo poo done that you folks have.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gully Foyle posted:

How is this done? As a Canadian, I'm familiar in general with the parliamentary style of elections, and we share many of the same features, but I have no idea how this could be done with our ballots.

Each ballot is marked, when you go to vote they tick your name off the register and note which ballot you were given next to your name. The register and the ballots are sealed separately and not opened together unless ordered by the courts.

Practically secret, technically not. The polling staff don't know what you wrote on the ballot, the counters don't know who got which ballot. But both can be correlated if necessary.

It's part of why the claims of needing voter ID to "combat fraud" are so ridiculous, we literally have the ability to match votes to voters if needs be, it is one of the most clearly verifiable electoral systems possible.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 20, 2024

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Gully Foyle posted:

How is this done? As a Canadian, I'm familiar in general with the parliamentary style of elections, and we share many of the same features, but I have no idea how this could be done with our ballots. Like it would be physically impossible.

sniffer dogs

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's also worth bearing in mind that, on any given day, somewhere between 50%-90% of parliamentary business is entirely governed by 'convention'.
Modern politics - anywhere from Theresa May onwards - have shown that there are literally no barriers to the UK government throwing convention under the bus and simply doing whatever the gently caress they want. The sovereignty of Parliament is considered basically inviolable, so as long as the Prime Minister is willing to stand up in the House of Commons and say "Nah, this is what we're gonna do", there's very little - short of violent insurrection - that can stop him/the government.

Violent insurrection is always on the cards with a Tory government, because they're simultaneously the most hateable bunch of fascists in the UK, and also far too worried about their own tax bill to actually bother paying for an effective police/military.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Cimber posted:

Huh, interesting. So basically she might be having mental health, substance abuse issues or a medical problem like breast cancer and the Palace isn't saying much about it and everyone is flipping out?

What's going on with Charles, didn't he get diagnosed with cancer too?

The palace PR thought they had a few years to deal with Kate to get her out of the picture for William to divorce and marry Lady Peggington before becoming king of swamp island, but Charles' imminent death from arse cancer has thrown the whole plan out of kilter.

She's been hospitalised in a coma since late December, spazzed out on a life glug after William beat her into a pulp on discovering she'd been banging some other toff who later died from self-inflicted shotgun blasts to the head on the same day William turned up with bruises on his neck.

Since then she has only been seen in a manipulated photo the palace claims was edited by Kate to make it look like she had altered it to make it look like she was Photoshopped in and no you can't see the original. And a blurry 5-second video clip filmed on a potato in a farm store car park proving she is alive and well.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

netflix rubbing its hands together

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

(although if they did dissolve themselves in acid that would also trigger one)

This would be preferable tbh

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Huh, terminally online twitter people are currently arguing that nuclear war would be 'fine'

https://twitter.com/eigenrobot/status/1769403899318829467?t=L5GrkQL4pkyB0BAKKWODcA&s=19

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Should just make Threads mandatory viewing for every child age 10 or so

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Rappaport posted:

Should just make Threads mandatory viewing for every child age 10 or so

That movie hosed me up for a while when I saw it.

I was in my thirties, years after the 80s.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

But don't you see. At least one person attempting to access Kate's medical records is as bad as nuclear war (or so it seems if you stray onto decorum poisoning Twitter right now)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

Huh, terminally online twitter people are currently arguing that nuclear war would be 'fine'

https://twitter.com/eigenrobot/status/1769403899318829467?t=L5GrkQL4pkyB0BAKKWODcA&s=19

OK, ignore the potential of nuclear winter. How many people live in the triangle areas? A quick glance suggests it's most of the places that people actually live. Not sure I'd call that fine, unless you're a proper primitivist who abhors the city & civilisation

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

The royals never said anything about this footage at the market, right?

It was just TMZ / The Sun who said "look it's Will and Kate!" wasn't it?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ThomasPaine posted:

future capital of the USA:

Reno, Nevada

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Goatse James Bond posted:

Reno, Nevada

uh, bad news about that purple triangle slightly north of carson city...

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

Please don't tell me you got trolled by this account

Have you seen their feed

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

uh, bad news about that purple triangle slightly north of carson city...

somewhere less distinguished than Reno, Nevada

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bucky Fullminster posted:

The royals never said anything about this footage at the market, right?

It was just TMZ / The Sun who said "look it's Will and Kate!" wasn't it?

Tbf I wouldn't put it past some pap to hire a couple of lookalikes they can film to cash in on the story

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

This is already the case.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

News headline today was something about banning a group of ~SUPER STRENGTH STREET OPIOIDS~, I thought they brought in that stupid law a few years back banning all drugs by default so they didn’t have to do this anymore?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The important thing is to make sure everyone is angry at the opioids and that the government is seen to be waging its war on them.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Skimming through it they are already illegal, the headlines are about there not being enough enforcement (not enough war on drugs if you want to be uncharitable).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We've been 'at war' with heroin since 1952 and all that succeeded in doing was massively increasing the number of addicts and deaths, so yeah I think I do want to be uncharitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Boulder, Colorado as foretold by Stephen King